Bourjaily: Kids with Guns

The Gun Nuts

May 14, 2009

Bourjaily: Kids with Guns

By Phil Bourjaily

Last post, I mentioned the trapshooting club at my son’s school, Iowa City West High. Here are the West shooters at their first competition about a month ago. That’s my son John, second from the right, holding the Browning Cynergy formerly known as “my Browning Cynergy.”  Come to think of it, the glasses, cap, pouch, gloves and shirt he’s wearing all used to be mine, too.

It’s been lots of fun working with the kids. Some of what I have learned so far is:

The great thing about teaching kids to shoot is that they take it seriously and are safety conscious, because they realize that if they get out of line, we adults will take away their bullets and make them stop shooting. It makes for a well-behaved and attentive group.

Trap is by far the best of the shotgun sports for youth teams. It doesn’t take long to shoot a round of trap, nor does it take many practice sessions before some kids post decent scores. One of our kids shot a 3x25 when he first started with us back in late March. We told him to start shooting with both eyes open, and a few weeks ago at practice he was the first on the team to run 25 straight. Since then, we’ve had two other kids shoot straights in competition. There is no coaching genius at work here; we just let them shoot a lot.

This spring, I have watched kids shoot about 5000 targets. Despite what people say about steeply rising trap targets and the need for a high-shooting gun, by far the most common miss with beginners at trap is high. They miss over the top because they aren’t looking at the target hard enough. I tell them to focus on the ring around the bottom of the bird they start crushing them.

The Iowa High School State Shoot takes place June, 13. I’ll let you know how we do.

from jjas wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Best of luck to the team and good for you for stepping up and coaching them.

It's good to see kids enjoying the shooting sports.

Jim

from 60256 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

This is a great story and hopefully ND can get something just like it in the future.

Nate

from matt28 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I think I just heard Sarah Brady bust a testicle! :)

from silsbyj wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Good job for coaching these boys and good luck to all of them at the State Shoot!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I applaud you Mr.B for taking time with young adults in sharing our traditions!

from shane wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

This is great, and there needs to be a whole lot more of this across the country and world.

I bet this really makes the antis cringe. But it also has to make them think. Here are a bunch of kids with guns, and what of it? A whole lot of positive is coming from this team existing and from these kids shooting guns, and not one spot of negative. What do you have to say to that, Mr. Anti? Huh? Nuthin'. Damn right.

Good luck at state.

Oh, and isn't that a Cynergy Classic? Lucky kid. I've had my eyes on that gun since your story on it a while back. Is it just as low profile as the original Cynergy?

from Big O wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Good luck to the team, and thank you for steping up to help coach.
Like Mr. Nuggent(Uncle Ted) says "Teach your kids to hunt, and you'll never hunt your kids".
Good for you Mr. Bourjaily. Bravo !

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Way to go Phil!!! Good luck.

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Shane -- That gun started out as an Original Recipe Cynergy, but I never liked the space age stock nor the funny shaped recoil pad so I had Classic wood put on it.
All Cynergies regardless of stock style have the same low-profile receiver design.
The only problem is, I never get to shoot it anymore.

from buckstopper wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Phil,
That's great. Go ahead and hand down your equipment to your son. That just a good reason for you to get some new stuff.

from jbird wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I wish this was a highschool sport here in Mo. Great job, and it's great for all members of the shooting world. Phil, I wish my boy could wear my stuff, he out-grows all his hunting gear about every 6 months! (he's 7, a BIG 7) You're a great coach, sportsman, and most importantly, Dad. Good luck to the boys.

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

dammit i wish they had something like this when i was in school. but here in the peoples republic of new jersey you would be ostracized and possibly investigated for suggesting you put firearms into the hands of kids and actually teaching them responsibility with said firearms.

from shane wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I see. I wasn't sure how far the differences went. Thanks.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Hope yall do well. I wish we had something like that at my high school. I deffinitely would of joined a club like that. With the recent posts of this and the Bass fishing becoming a Varsity sport makes me a little jealoous. Really wish I had sports/clubs that were more involved with the outdoos in high school. I tried making a "Hunting Club" one time, just to talk about hunting stories and my school shut it down due to "liability" purposes...

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I am glad to hear about a great program. Good luck with the competition!
I had a really good lifetime sports program in my high school- rock climbing, flyfishing, whitewater kayaking, etc. We did traditional archery, instead of trap, but it had the same effect. I shot my first elk at 30 yards with a 55# Herter's recurve just after I graduated from highschool~ what a rush!
The reason I share this is because I have experienced the huge impact that dedicated adult sportmen can make in the lives of young people by taking the time to teach them how to be more skilled and more ethical sportsmen and women. After all, who is going to carry on the tradition as time marches on? Kudos to you!

from blueridge wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Way to go, Phil...good blog.

This is where it is at. Oldtimers are fun, but kids are the future of shooting, and of our country. Time well spent.

Take you kid hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your kid.

Blue

from ricefarm wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I am hoping to get something similar started at my son's school. It is amazing how fast a kid with good hand eye coordination that has never shot can pick this up, and the look on their face is worth a million bucks. I have seen a couple of my son's friends, shooting for the first time behind our house start breaking birds in a few minutes. As someone who has the hand eye coordination of Helen Keller I am happy to just keep loading and throwing. Everyone has a place, and mine is to feed the shooters. And buy the supplies. Phil, any way Obama will earmark part of his Porkulus Bill for teenage trap shooters?

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

These programs should be publicized more. It is good to see that there is some common sense occasionally. Schools should have programs for the shooting sports. There are other things besides video games.

from kudukid wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

These are young MEN, not baby goats!!!

from TommyNash wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Awesome.....great to see kids being educated on something so cool.

PB.....Iowa City? I thought you were a CR dude?

from texasfirst wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Serious kudos for this. These high school shooting programs are positively outstanding, and my hat is off to Mr. Bourjilay for spending the time. That is one of the things I think makes sporting men better fathers: they pass skills on to their children, spend time with them, and encourage and discipline them in teaching those skills. Semper Fi.

from trapshooter341 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I am glad and it's great to see that more kids are interested in shotgun sports. I know that both of my sons have shot for the past 3 years in the trap sport and Every practice I am prouder of the scores that they post, both are ATA and AIM members. ITS GREAT TO SEE SOME GREAT PRESS ON THIS SUBJECT FOR ONCE. but what makes it better is when you see a kid shoot in a derby and beat the older shooters hands down!!! besides its shows a great sense of pride where the kid you had in what seemed a few years ago in diapers is whipping you at the game!!!! TALK ABOUT EATING CROW AT THE DINNER TABLE!!!!

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I like to hear about any program where the young can learn something so potentially dangerous in a nice, closed, positive environment.

Every county needs such a program. It does sound expensive, though. That's a lot of shells a day.

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

4-H operates the local trap shoots for our kids. Of course they can join the ATA and compete in tourniments. We have a first class shooting complex in Cody, WY. I always have been proud that my kid won every youth tourniment in which he competed. Oddly enough the first time he broke 25 straight was with my old Browning Auto-5 full choke. He still has his baseball cap that the squad shot to celebrate. The next year I bought him a Winchester Select trap gun with which he performs well but against adults who have shot for decades. It is unfortunate that a school sponsered trap team does not exist locally since they do support most other athletic activities.
Good looking group Phil. They are learning a sport that they can participate in until they are old men. One local guy is 92 or 93, shoots a S x S Parker, and still breaks more targets than you would expect.

from libertyfirst wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Congratulations to your team! These kids all look a whole lot like our future to me. If you can reach around to you back give it a pat from me, I'm proud of you for giving the time and effort. One of the best times of my life was running a youth archery program. Giving is never a bad idea.

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

JEFF4066 when my kid was shooting youth tourniments he would fire as many as 500 rounds in two days including practice. At 1 oz. per AA shell figure out the number of pounds of shot fired. Multiply that by a 100 or so shooters for one weekend out of many. That flat in front of the trap range and the skeet range has to be reclaimed every few years to remove the spent shot. I don't know what they do about sporting clays given the terrain in which it is located. Yep its a lot of money but each dollar was money well spent.
You trap shooters know that you can see strange things at some shoots. One day I noticed an unsingle leaned against the side of a pickup truck. I walked over to be sure the owner knew it was there. He did. That Kolar plus two more Perazzis and one extra set of barrels laying in the bed of the pickup comprised over $100,000.00 in value. Big bucks for shotguns in my book. However remember that at least once the Grand was won by a guy shooting a slightly customized M-870. Anything is possible, that's what I enjoy about trap.

from wingshooter54 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

One of my fondest memories is my son & I shooting a summer trap league when he was 9 yrs. old. Winning the most improved shooter trophy at the end was the highlight for him. Oh yeah, he was shooting a Beretta 20 o/u and shot some scores equal to grownups shooting a 12. Best of luck with the team, Mr. Bourjaily. Please post the results in a future blog.
Michael

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

This is it, gentlemen. This is the future of the shooting sports. I'm delighted to see young shooters on the range! Great job!

from usmcturkey wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I wish we had something like this when I was in school. I think what you are doing with these guys is awsome, keep up the good work.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Dave: How greatthis is. Getting involved with experts is the way to go. How I sish as a kid I had someone to teach me. Better that kids are involved in shooting with guns than dealing drugs and God know what-else.I do hope and pray many other like-minded aduls see the advantage of teaching our youth the serious facts of owning firearms and the correct way to use them. With our #'s of hunters declining yearly,we must do such as this along with teaching the Ladies as well. Us old guys gonna be gone soon and we must teach our youth correctly. Maybe we can get the better Sports stores to get involved as well as the Gun mfgers and Ammo Co's. Maybe some of our hunting clubs will see the importance of this project and doanate used firearms and time to the project.What better advertisement can these stores get than to be involved. Congratulations. Shoot-um-straight and often.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Rky Mtn Hunter,
Me too, I wish we had this in school.
As reported in the Shooting Wire several weeks ago our city university, Lindenwood, won the national championship for clay shooting.
What has our city done? Deny this school access to open farm ground for a practice facility five miles from home. Instead, they the students must continue to commute 25 miles each way to practice. Shame on the city.

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Tommy Nash -- I live on the west side of Iowa City. About the only reason I go to Cedar Rapids is to shoot at Otter Creek Sportsman's Club,which is where the picture above was taken.
To everyone else -- I wasn't fishing for thanks when I posted this. Fact is, I am having more fun than the kids are doing this, and I would probably pay for the privelege of doing it if they didn't let me volunteer.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Jim same situation here; The only public shoting range is 50 miles away frome me. If i culd get some locals to help out and acquire the necessary Insurance and parents consent, i would do in a minute. As i have the prperty for a 300 yd range and away rom any homes. So no problem with neighbos. Like you, wish they had taught this in my school 60 yrs ago,but like many i as on my own at l0 ys old. I wonder if the ROTC in our local schools would be interested??? If us older guys don;t step up to the plae and get some action, I;m afraid hunting and gun ownershp will continue to decline, at least it has in my area.As the trend now is you gotta be wealthy to go hunting. Soon that will dry up basd on the DOW. Me,I;ve been to the Rockies for past l5 or so years,but this year i just cannot afford the 7K$ bucks for a hunt. Luggage cost about as much as a plane ticket and Licenses have gone out the roof. So Son,wife and I plant l5 aces of deer plots and we will hunt w-tails here this year and many more i hope(at 73, not many left). AS the economy & DOW has a long way to go for me and many who have gone West with me,shoot-um-straight and ofen.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Great program!

If you don't have the means to support a local rogram directly, support Friends of the NRA at a local banquet event. I attended one on Saturday night and was amazed at the amount of money directly contributed to local youth shooting sports and hunter education programs. A local high school NJROTC color guard paraded and posted the colors with the National Anthem followed by the Pledge of Allegiance and oh my God, ...Prayer!

Local JROTC kids assisted in the auctions and such and it was a great evening! Lots of good food and being surrounded by like minded people was terrific!

I highly recommend all of you support a local Friends of the NRA event in your community. Give a little back for the freedoms you have enjoyed and help our youth maintain it.

WMH

from nerffodder wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Man I wish this kinda stuff happened in the PRNJ ( good loke jersey pig) Its great to see kids who arent fat bums or crazies doing something amazing. I would kill to get those programs here. Revolution anyone?

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

About time for us to declare a Civil War on the Idiots in DC about our guns and hunting, I'm ready to do all i can.Will be a cold day in H--- when they get my guns or get them registered by th feds. I have guns that are l00 yds old and no way will I part with them.They worth more than the newer ones now. Shoot-um-staight and often.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Great work! Great comments from all the guys too. We give youth clinics at the Skeet Club ( Trap too) at Fort Leavenworth every summer.

from eackerlund wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

My alma mater, Hillsdale College, in Michigan, just finished their school-owned trap range last fall, and they're putting a pistol range and a rifle range in next to that...

And they're offering classes to the whole student body.

Wish I could be there to take advantage of that opportunty to get out and shoot....

In case you all are wondering, the reason Hillsdale College is able to do that is because Hillsdale is one of three colleges in the nation that does not take a penny of government (Federal or State) money, so they can pretty much do whatever the hell they think is right and best, and can tell the Gubmint to piss off...I think there should be more schools like that...without "Big Bother" breathing down the admin's necks and dictating political correctness, affirmative action, and other odious policies to them.

from greybeard50 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Great job helping the kids. Good luck to the team. I've begged my local 4H to let me help start a rifle team with NSSF but they won't even talk to me about it.

from rishooter wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

Hey guys, all well and good about teaching kids, and I agree it's most important, but who's teaching other adults about our sporting heritage? Recently took a guy from work to the range with me and we had a great time shooting clays; him for the first time(he's about thirty). Now he's scheming up a new shotgun, and wants to learn more. Another thought: how many of us have ever taught a woman; wife, acquaintance, or girlfriend? Remember, adults vote now,kids will later. They're both important, and they can help ensure our future.

from Tyler Murray wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

I'm 14 years old and I'm on a shooting team through my high school, I think its an amazing thing what these kids and other kids like me have the opportunity to be involved in theses days.

from matt28 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I think I just heard Sarah Brady bust a testicle! :)

from Big O wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Good luck to the team, and thank you for steping up to help coach.
Good for you Mr. Bourjaily. Bravo !

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Way to go Phil!!! Good luck.

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from trapshooter341 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Best of luck to the team and good for you for stepping up and coaching them.

It's good to see kids enjoying the shooting sports.

Jim

from 60256 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Nate

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I applaud you Mr.B for taking time with young adults in sharing our traditions!

from shane wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Good luck at state.

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

The only problem is, I never get to shoot it anymore.

from buckstopper wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Phil,

from jbird wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I see. I wasn't sure how far the differences went. Thanks.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I am glad to hear about a great program. Good luck with the competition!

from blueridge wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Way to go, Phil...good blog.

Take you kid hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your kid.

Blue

from ricefarm wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from TommyNash wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Awesome.....great to see kids being educated on something so cool.

PB.....Iowa City? I thought you were a CR dude?

from texasfirst wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from libertyfirst wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from wingshooter54 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Michael

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from usmcturkey wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Rky Mtn Hunter,
Me too, I wish we had this in school.

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Great program!

WMH

from nerffodder wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Tyler Murray wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from silsbyj wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from eackerlund wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

And they're offering classes to the whole student body.

from greybeard50 wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from rishooter wrote 4 years 47 weeks ago

from kudukid wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

These are young MEN, not baby goats!!!