Petzal: The Worst Place in the World?

The Gun Nuts

September 15, 2009

Petzal: The Worst Place in the World?

By David E. Petzal

One of the benefits of big-game hunting is that you get to see odd parts of the world that few other people do. Mostly this is uplifting, but sometimes you end up where you just want to get the hell out. First on my list of such places is Schefferville, which lies 1,000 miles north of Montreal in Provence Quebec. Founded in 1953 as an iron-mining town, it came upon hard times in 1980 when the mines closed down. Since then, the population has declined to 202, as per the 2006 census.

The roads stop 350 miles south of Schefferville, so the only way to get in or out is by charter plane or by the once-a-week train that runs there. The weather tends to be extreme; it rains or snows more than 300 days a year. Schefferville’s current reason for existence is as a marshalling point for caribou hunters. They fly from Montreal to Schefferville en masse and transfer to float planes which distribute them to various camps out on the tundra. It is an easy place to get stranded. In Montreal, I’ve run into hunters who had spent a week in Schefferville airport waiting for a flight back to civilization. They were on the brink of madness

Schefferville is post-apocalyptic. The houses are deserted and mostly in ruins. (A few are maintained nicely by outfitters for their clients.) The decaying streets are littered with broken glass. Stray dogs roam the streets. There are no stores. There was a small hotel that vanished years ago (I understand it has now been rebuilt) and a couple of small diners where I did not die from eating the food. You hardly ever see another human being.

Here is the quintessential Schefferville experience. In 1983, I was waiting in the lobby of the little hotel when one of the local inhabitants lurched through the door and sat down next to me. He smelled like a distillery. A fresh bandage covered part of his face. He lifted it, exposing a red, empty socket and said:

“Bad man take my eye last night. You give me money?”

I screamed and ran out into the street where I ran into Craig Boddington.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

I have tears in my eyes I'm laughing so hard.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

I hate to admit it, but I have been to places almost as bad. I did not eat the food,
the one eyed folks did not other me, nor did I run into Craig Boddington. The only saving virtue of these places was there were no Canadians, eh? LMAO

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Be gentle Dave, sounds like my home town.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

A long, long time ago in galaxy far, far away; I was once in a spot that at least paralleled your description except the people were mostly deceased, not just missing.

The nasty little spot was south of the Central African Republic, southwest of Sudan, and north of Angola. A true garden spot. No, I was not on safari with Happy Miles or Ruark, but Col. Craig Boddington would have been a welcome sight. Particularly if he had been toting a very large caliber safari rifle capable of disabling a Land Rover filled with unfriendly folks.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Uhm.....nothing to comment....but you can't buy that type of experience.....priceless....

from jjas wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Petzal, I enjoyed the F&S Icons program on the Outdoor channel that profiled you this past week.

Congrats for the longevity of your career, not only in print, but @ Filed and Stream too.

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter
Sounds like you were in the Congo. I was there once, and not under your trying circumstances. I did not feel happy to get out, I felt lucky to get out.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter,
Once again, I think we were in close proximity in different time frames.

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Speaking of my home town, it had one bar and no store, at least we had our priorities right. The next closest bar and one small store where you could buy everything from horse collars to groceries were 25 miles away. Our bar was adjacent to the volunteer fire house., we hardly ever saved a structure, but it was a chance to have a drink with your friends. The bar burned to the ground and this cultural center is now pretty much a ghost town

crm3006

What tales old troopers could tell.........one day.

Maybe Obama will open all the files during his administation of 'transparency'.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

On my list...places NOT to visit.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter-
I sincerely believe obummer will open the files, right after he discloses all of his campaign contributors, and a few other sealed
documents. LMAO

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

My home town could definitely be filed under this type of place, short of the one-eyed man. He died years ago.. Great hunting around the place though.. And that's why I still consider it home..

from Bernie wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

I have been in a number of places like Shefferville, where all I wanted to do was get out of the place. The one sh**hole that really stands out in my mind is Koliganek, a Native village on the Nushagak River in southwestern Alaska. A couple partners and I floated that river in 1994 on a caribou hunt, and after many adventures and misadventures, finally were flown out of that place and into Dillingham, then on to Anchorage.
Actually, interior Alaska is full of such places--Ekwok and Egegik come to mind--but it is Koliganek that really stands out in my memory because I didn't know if our bush plane flight was going to arrive on time and fly us out of there. He did!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Picture that...PETZAL SCREAMING!
At least that Cyclops spoke English..trying being in the Middle East and running into vermin like that!!
I was screaming like a LITTLE GIRL!

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

WOW-- I'm With BuckHunter all the way!! P. S. Did ya piss yer panties or don't ya want to tell? I think I might a wooda!!!!

from huntfish37 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Sounds like detroit.

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Sounds like Happy is from Powderville, MT. If not it is a near fascimile. The town in which I was born in the deep south is something similiar but with more people. Somehow I must be the only one who figured out how to leave.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Sounds like any village in viet Nam back in the 60's and early 70's.
Happy Myles would you care to reveal where your little hometown is? Mine was a little crossroads in rural Florida with no stoplights only a few stop signs called Sumterville. It's about 40 miles west of Disney world.

from Cgull wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Sounds like a place south of brownsville texas. People visit but they dont come back.

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Dave writes the truth! Northern Quebec is a scream.

The wildest place/time I had was in some bar on the Gatineau River above Maniwaki in the early '70's. I saw a bunch trappers, prospectors and road crews buy an old Indian a drink every time he shot a plastic cup off his grandson’s head with a bow n arrow…William tell style.

Towards the end of the night it was pretty touch and go for that young lad.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

One good reason for do it yourself hunts!

For a do it yourself Caribou hunt, Chicken Alaska would be my #1 pick!

from Canadian Lurker wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Come Dave , Shefferville isn't that bad. Nobody was trying to kill you, for one thing. I used to ride that railroad when the trains were running once a day with iron ore concentrate. In caribou season a couple of passenger cars were added to bring the cheap hunters to Sheffi. There was no limit on baggage allocation so they usually brought enough beer and gin to make the average hunting camp float away. Most still managed to get back with their 2 caribous though.
But now the Montagnais are the only year-around residents in Shefferville and it's a hard life.

The Chinese were talking about buying the old mine back and starting redeveloping the site before the economy's bottom fell out. It would be nice if it happens.

I submit Parent QC as one of the roughest hunting place (good moose hunting grounds, great walleye fishing). After 10pm the drinks are served through a wicket because of the fights in the bars. The fights are usually 3-way affairs. Indians, miners and forestry workers just don't get along well after a drink or ten.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

.....and they call him "Tater Salad"

LMAO

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

I have seen those bars where the drinks come through the wicket. That is when I go to bed
My Dad, a friend from L.A., and I walked in the bar. Dad ordered bourbon and water, I ordered bourbon and seven, my friend ordered something like a Beefeater martini shaken, not stirred. The old Basque owner growled to my friend "have what they are having and it's on the house". Miss Kitty he was not.

from duckcreekdick wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

If I'm ever in Shefferville, Dave, I'll keep an eye out for you.

from 3shotburst wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Gulp........I am traveling through Shefferville in two weeks

from PbHead wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

And duckcreekdick wins the first place award for Best Comment This Season.

from dickgun wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Mr. P,
Your story about the Native Canadian who lost his eye reminded me of one morning in the 1960s in Kotzebue, Ak. At that time this was our base for polar bear hunts on the Chukchi Sea. I entered the only cafe for a breakfast before heading out on the ice with clients. The only place to sit was a stool at the counter and it was next to a local native whose head was flat on the counter - dead to the world. Gingerly, I sat next to him and tried to order, whereupon, he slowly raised his head and stared at me with bleery eyes and incanted, "I-I-I ddon't know.......I-I have one drink and mmmy mind fllly away! Obviously, that had happened - no doubt not for the first time.
But I strongly agree with your opening - that hunting is the best way to see the real country in any land you visit. I have far fewer world wide experiences than do you, but I have been a few places. You do not go to Schefferville to find a five star hotel - you go to hunt!! Because it is there! My opinion is that the hunting world is now getting too slanted to the need for the Lodge and hunt offering to be five star to qualify. I can still sleep in a tent in 'real hunting country' and not be pampered every minute. I thought that was what hunting was all about.

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

....I like to say places like that are right down the road from the sunshine pumping station.....I'll let that one sink in.

I can attest to many such places as everyone is describing. In a former life I played music for a living on the road. I've probably been in the house band in one of these hell-holes y'all are talking about. Many times I thought I was living out the bar scene in 'Star Wars' only with real aliens impersonating degenerate sub-humans. Truly a real live Quentin Tarantino flick.

I remember once flying into a place (not in the US) and while on final, seeing piles of aircraft wreckage pushed over to the sides of the runway. There were burnt spots on dirt strip itself. I asked one of the locals what happened. The guy says, "That's where the drug planes that are too overloaded crash on landing. We just push them out of the way."

Moral: There is no place like home.

FWIW,I won't be appearing in Schefferville ever. If I am so tempted I'll remind myself that Duck Creek Dick and Cyclops are there and I am here. Thank you Jesus.

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

sgaredneck,

I've played venues where I thought I needed a whip and a chair.

Oddly, nowadays the worse patrons drink themselves home by 11pm.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Schefferville probably isn't the 'End Of The Earth', but I'll bet you can see it from there. Sort of like Neah Bay and Ozette, WA.

from duckcreekdick wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Thank you, pbHead!

from duckcreekdick wrote 15 hours 12 min ago
"If I'm ever in Shefferville, Dave, I'll keep an eye out for you."

DCD, I just wanted you to know that you were almost responsible for a bladder control malfunction when I read that! LMAO

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Mark-1,
That's the gospel truth there. But now there are less places to play and harsher DUI laws. There's still a bumper crop of drunken idiots out there. FREEBIRD!!!

Wa Mtnhunter,
You have that one right. Even though civilization has spread over this world it amazes me some of the places that defy belief. I'm thankful I only had to carry a guitar into some that were relatively tame. Thank you for your service and for carrying a weapon into unmentionable places for us.

from GGNYC wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Schefferville, but have been to Kuujjuaq twice. Kuujjuaq is even further north on Ungava bay. there are a few "stores" around, but not many. Mostly inuits buzzing around on ATVs. The "visitors" are all waiting for a ride on the twin otter to camp, or the daily flight to Montreal.

from nelsol wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Well, guess none of you has been to the Wal-Mart in Hope, Arkansas the night before white tail deer season opens. An experience you'll never, ever forget.

from Ferber wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Dave, I've been there twice, and I can't think of a worse 'town' anywhere. But if you're going caribou hunting, with a chance of hunting black bear too, you have to grin and bare it. Well, maybe not grin. Accommodations, just for the night of arrival, were a cut above a cardboard box for the homeless on a New York street...but not as clean. We (our mutual friend Jay W. and I) braved a second journey because we were skunked on the first trip.

I had taken along an Irish-made under-lever .450 BP Express double rifle, handloaded with 300-grain lead bullets in front of 50 grains of 4198 smokeless powder. A most knowledgeable friend who owns several such old black powder Express rifles provided me the data for the handloading of perfectly safe SMOKELESS cartridges for the .450. Because the case is over 3 inches in length, a carefully weighed amount of wadding fills the gap between powder and projectile. The external ballistics--my having chronographed the load--is about the same as that of a .45-70, and the rifle is 'accurate enough'. MUCH fun to shoot. A word of caution: Don't try working up loads for such a gun yourself--my friend is an expert ballistician. I don't deviate from his recipe. But, alas...no chance to shoot it at caribou--or bear--that first time around.

The only delay in the drive up to Montreal is the requirement to stop at the border and register the gun(s) to be taken in to Canada. I brought along a left-handed 7MM Mag the second time around. Good thing I did too, because that flat-shooting, hard-hitting 160-grain Nosler did its job perfectly on the bull I took at a distance of AT LEAST...75 yards!

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

I'd picture Dave telling him to leave if he wants to keep the other one before running off screaming!

from KJ wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

They have a website. Can't say it takes the edge off of Dave's description:

from Robert C. Turpin wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

I watched the interview with Dave. It was most entertaining. I am a longtime reloader (50+ years). If I lost my reloading data log I too would be lost.

Silvertip

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

The website is there, but as one would expect, all links are busted.

from butterbean wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Sounds like a good place to move the United Nations Headquarters to and we may as well put nancy paloosies office right next to it. Would save the tax payers alot of money. Trouble is the last few residents would probably leave town.

from Carney wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

The truth is, you can get used to anything. I spent a couple of years in the Darien Jungle of Panama. The first week I hated everything about my living arrangements (not the hardship, but filth and incompitence). But when I resigned myself to "this is life for a while", I was able to get beyond it and be my normal self. I did however, make building a new outhouse the first priority -- which is probably why the second week I was in much better spirits!

from Carney wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

WAMNTHNTR:

I don't mind Neah or Ozette -- but I hate it that the Olympic Nat'l Park is closed to hunting...

Maybe I'll go to Sequim and shoot me a Yak!

from CONGOKURT wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

As my name suggests, I have been in a place such as that. It was not on a pleasure trip but a safari of sorts. I did run into plenty of one eyed and one armed, one legged locals. They did ask for money or bullets. They were generally nice honest people if you did not turn your back on them. Also, the food was what I could scrounge up, but to my liking. I thinkk I would like to visit Schefferville as it sounds pleasant. unning into Moishe would be an added plus !

from Richard Mann wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Anyone ever been to Jarbidge, Nevada?

from Richard Mann wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Anyone ever been to Jarbidge, Nevada?

from Carney wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Butterbean -- it could only make a bad place worse!

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

sounds bad and i have no reason to doubt any of you on your descriptions of the place. but i can think of a worse place in the world to be: you could be the gynecologist for secretary of state mrs. clinton.

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

WAMNTHNTR:

i am in agreement to the web site, actually kinda scary for a towns web site.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Jersey Pig, Now bringin up Willie Boy's worst nightmare was just too brutal, I am feeling traumatized. And I have beeded down with some Mountagnards in nam.!

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

But in my defense I was young and horny at the time.

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

How we got from worst staging place for a hunting trip to worst tw@t I'll never know........

from rudyglove27 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Ramworks,My three buddy marines were drunk and lost to a small town called Jarbidge Elko County, Nevada!!!That was back in 88 and stay there for about 4 hours until the night is over!!!They got there on 4:00 in the morning...

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

O to only hunt there once, sounds as if a dandy place to forget our troubles. When is next plane out.

from sarg wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Reminds me of the time I went to Ecudore in the middle of the jungle. Someone got the bright Idea to go to town for some good food,. Sounded good after two weeks of MRE's but was I in for a surprise. No way would I eat there and afraid to buy something already sealed. I spent the rest of the time remaining eating MRE's and sleeping in the jungle with the Frogs, snakes and scorpions. But it was fun and on the return trip home we did stop in Panama, That was nice...

from chasseur wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Spent a week in Schefferville one night. Even with one eye it looks better on Google Earth. Check it out.

from wingshooter54 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

I was headed out on a hunting trip once; my buddy made a wrong exit off IH-10,and we ended up in the fifth ward of Houston, Texas at night. Piss on a deer rifle, I was wishing for a Thompson 45 with a 100 round drum magazine.
I would have traded for Schefferville (or any other place except NY's Central Park) at that moment.

from focusfront wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

This is one screwy blog!

It reminds me of the guy who went to the doctor and was told he only had one year to live. So the guy moved to Gary, Indiana so it'd seem like ten!

Hey, at least you were in Schefferville to hunt. What would Boddington have been doing there, otherwise?

Moishe

I've been real drunk before, but not drunk enuf for 'yards...

from 007 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Dave, you been watching Twilight Zone reruns again?

from JBUG308 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

To Del in KS,
Sumterville now has 2 traffic lights, a Federal Corrections facility and a gigantic concrete processing facility! Still considered rural though.

from yohan wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Yaw Yaw ,..wel if your all talkin about nasty places quite a few moons ago
if you keep going south from Panama Panama ,.accross the Americas Bridge then down the Americas Hiway ( like two laner in the 50's) Past Panonomae past all the almost civilized lookin villages until sooner or later you pass into the G0d dam stone age ,..

Where one eyed one eared flyin purple people eaters live and eat gringos with a few beans and a fried rice ,.. after they drag em into the jungle and do unimaginable sh!t to them,..
Very scary place that >
There aint enough coin (anywhere) to get me back there
That as worse than Huey city,. and I never smelled anythg so bad as the perfume river full of dead people

from Jim Blum wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Pelta, Sounds like SW Washington D C LMAO

from Carney wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Yohan,

That's where I used to live in Panama'. The area you are speaking of is (was?) rife with Colombian rebels who would flee into the Darien Jungle to hide from the gov't forces. Many "walkers" down the pan-am highway went into the jungle and were never heard from again...

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Be gentle Dave, sounds like my home town.

from duckcreekdick wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

If I'm ever in Shefferville, Dave, I'll keep an eye out for you.

from dickgun wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Mr. P,

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

I have tears in my eyes I'm laughing so hard.

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Moral: There is no place like home.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter,
Once again, I think we were in close proximity in different time frames.

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from nelsol wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

crm3006

What tales old troopers could tell.........one day.

Maybe Obama will open all the files during his administation of 'transparency'.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

On my list...places NOT to visit.

from huntfish37 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Sounds like detroit.

from Canadian Lurker wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

sgaredneck,

I've played venues where I thought I needed a whip and a chair.

Oddly, nowadays the worse patrons drink themselves home by 11pm.

from duckcreekdick wrote 15 hours 12 min ago
"If I'm ever in Shefferville, Dave, I'll keep an eye out for you."

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Mark-1,

Wa Mtnhunter,

from butterbean wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Butterbean -- it could only make a bad place worse!

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter-
documents. LMAO

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Picture that...PETZAL SCREAMING!
I was screaming like a LITTLE GIRL!

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Sounds like any village in viet Nam back in the 60's and early 70's.

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Dave writes the truth! Northern Quebec is a scream.

Towards the end of the night it was pretty touch and go for that young lad.

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from PbHead wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

And duckcreekdick wins the first place award for Best Comment This Season.

from duckcreekdick wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Thank you, pbHead!

from Ferber wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Richard Mann wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Anyone ever been to Jarbidge, Nevada?

Moishe

I've been real drunk before, but not drunk enuf for 'yards...

from Bernie wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Cgull wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

One good reason for do it yourself hunts!

For a do it yourself Caribou hunt, Chicken Alaska would be my #1 pick!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

.....and they call him "Tater Salad"

LMAO

from 3shotburst wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Gulp........I am traveling through Shefferville in two weeks

from GGNYC wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from KJ wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

They have a website. Can't say it takes the edge off of Dave's description:

from Robert C. Turpin wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Silvertip

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

The website is there, but as one would expect, all links are busted.

from CONGOKURT wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

WAMNTHNTR:

i am in agreement to the web site, actually kinda scary for a towns web site.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

But in my defense I was young and horny at the time.

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from sarg wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from wingshooter54 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from focusfront wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

This is one screwy blog!

from Carney wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

WAMNTHNTR:

Maybe I'll go to Sequim and shoot me a Yak!

from Richard Mann wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Anyone ever been to Jarbidge, Nevada?

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from chasseur wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago

Dave, you been watching Twilight Zone reruns again?

from JBUG308 wrote 4 years 30 weeks ago