Bourjaily: On Gun Manufacturers Sponsoring Little League Teams

The Gun Nuts

March 22, 2010

Bourjaily: On Gun Manufacturers Sponsoring Little League Teams

By Phil Bourjaily

Matt Carmel, owner of Constitution Arms in Maplewood, NJ, wanted to sponsor a youth baseball team, only to be voted down by the South Orange-Maplewood Baseball Committee. He was then asked to sponsor a flag rugby team, only to have the offer rescinded. . . all because he sells guns.

Notice, as he points out in the video, the “Cluck U” chicken place gets to sponsor a team while “Constitution Arms” which has, to my ear, a much more wholesome ring to it, does not. Which name would you rather explain to a young kid?

Carmel has gotten far more publicity for his business being turned down than he would have had he been allowed to sponsor a team, so in one way, he gets the last laugh. He says he is done offering to sponsor teams. That’s too bad, because as Assistant Coach of the Iowa City West Trap Club I can guarantee our kids would have no problem wearing the Constitution Arms logo.

***
Check out Carmel’s .38 caliber Palm Pistol on his website, constitutionarms.com. It reminds me of a more ergonomic version of the Liberator single shot pistol made in WWII, or even more of the Green Avenger water guns of my youth. Carmel says it’s a weapon for the elderly and those who can’t pull a normal trigger. I bet at the range of a few feet a .38 bullet works better than hitting an intruder with your cane.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Pathetic. Guns are bad, but sex is good. I have expressed my opinion on over enthusiastic political correctness run amok so many times I have run out of expletives and derogatory terms for such.

from huntnow wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Many people in this great country are in a place of political and moral ignorance. The future of our country scares me for reasons just like this. I only hope that the advertisement gets Carmel some business and that those who rejected his sponsorship feel as truly stupid as this video makes them look.

from Mjenkins1 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

He IS in New Jersey after all...

from abiddle013 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This type of thing is far too common and just plain ridiculous. It seems like some people have their moral compasses out of whack.

from jakenbake wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Definitely would rather explain guns to kids rather than sex... Guns make sense and have definite rules; sex is a whooooole 'nother can of worms that gets way too fuzzy way too quick, ESPECIALLY when you're dealing with other peoples' kids

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I have coached Little League teams both baseball and basketball for over 20 years. Sponsorship dollars are hard to find. Different places in our country have different ideas. Here in rural WV I'm sure he would have gotten to sponsor a team. We haven't been exposed to the finer things and ways of life yet. People look at us as not being hipp, but in some cases I think we are better off. Over 75% of the boys on our baseball teams shoot firearms and hunt. Progress will probably catch up with us some day. I just hope it waits awhile. 007 can verify the info I just gave you.

from mad_dog9999 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Can I have that flag?

from ricefarm wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

That's ridiculous. I'm on the Park Board for the small town I live outside of and trust me, not only would we not turn down a sponsor like that the boys would fight to the death for the right to wear that company's name on their uniform. Any parent who objected to their son being on that team would get accomodated, only to end up on the team that got it's ass kicked all year because I guarantee you all the best players would love to be on a team sponsored by a gun dealer.

from focusfront wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Here is the web link that goes right to the palm gun:

Too bad it's only a single shot. It seems like a pretty neat idea, certainly better than swinging a cane, but note that when you see 'muggers' or 'home invaders' in the paper, the terms are often plural.

This should be a day of national mourning. Yesterday the House of Representatives' Democrats voted to take over 1/6th of the US economy's private sector, not to meet a need but because they felt like it. If they can pass that, they can pass anything, and if that stands up in court, so will everything else. While our boys are over in Iraq and Afghanistan fighting to free the people there, our own government is enslaving us, our children, and our unborn grandchildren here. What happened to Matt Carmel is an indicator of the attitude our masters have towards us and our beliefs and lifestyle. The canary is choking in the fumes as we speak.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Typical knee jerk reaction to guns. Oh my... we can't have that... Used to be a major league team call the Colt 45's, you now know them as the Astros.

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Apparently in NJ they have concerns that kids that take an active role in organized sport where they must show up on time for practice,abide by rules and show sportsmanship in a game that involves a projectile,may take gun ownership the wrong way.

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

If it gets down to who is right and who is wrong here it is apparent that Mr. Carmel stood on the side of the right. Although he no doubt did gain some advertisement because of his kindness being rejected, I am certain his intent was to assist the little leaguers. Decades ago an old woman in Mississippi showed me a small caliber palm pistol which she had owned for years much like that of Constitutional Arms. I think it was labeled the "Chicago Pistol" although someone might want to correct me on this name.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I coached little league for 15 years. My favorite group of boys was the group that were obsessed with hunting and fishing(my sons class). In high school they came 1 run away from the state championship in baseball, made the state playoffs in high school for the first time in 30 years and nearly all will graduate from college this spring.

If you ask me the respect and responsibility a young person learns from handling firearms at a young age breeds success later in life.

They all still hunt together to this day.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I don't see anyrthing wrong with him sponsoring a team. I would have a problem with my little-leaguer wearing a jersey that says "Cluck U"

from kudukid wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

By 1950 Jersey had banned BB guns. I left when I was 16...NEVER to return. Most of the area around New York is a seething quagmire of slums, pavement and, well, lots of miserable Jerseyites. There is some hope - Corzine is GONE!

from dale freeman wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I agree with "focusfront"
I really don't think people really know where we're at.
I cannot believe Americans really think like this.
My motto;" Prepare for the worst and pray for the best".

from bennyfreeze wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Ya, this is happening in NJ, where they have a horrible education system, corrupt government officials and high poverty rate.

A great shirt I have...poking fun at NJ, "Jersey girls aren't trash, trash gets picked up."

Hmmmmk.

from wingshooter54 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Used to be a fundraiser sporting clays shoot in a certain southern state that employed young women from strip clubs to pull and score targets. All the money (and it was a considerable amount) was given to charity. The charitable organizations found out how the money was being raised, and refused to take any more contributions from that club and group of shooters. Most of the board members of those charitable organizations could have found their way to the strip clubs blindfolded on a stormy night.

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

It's amazing how free we are to hold different beliefs in America, unless you hold a belief contrary to liberals. Fight the GOOD fight Mr. Carmel!

from elmer f. wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

unfortunatly, our country has gone so far off course, that i am truly afraid we gun owners are going to be the last of a dying breed. we have had to many years of idiots like Dr. Joyce Brothers whimpering and carressing way to many people that everything will be all right, and there will never be an instance where force or viloence will be needed, under ANY circumstances. it sickens me. if you have no idea what kind of horrible things happen in the real world every single day, then you have no business trying to tell the world that guns are bad! besides, the vast majority of guns are bought, and used simply for pleasure, not killing people!

from RANGERMANZ20 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Well it truely is a double sad day 1ST the FREE CARE FOR THE DRUG ADDICTS and ILLIGAL ALLIANS, and those to lazy to work was passed, now this. Never in the history of this country has the distance and differance between the governed and those who govern been so great. I truely plan to put the LIBS out on the street in Nov.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

A friend of mine(yes I have friends!) used to teach intro to target shooting in his home town(northern N.J.) but was forced to cancel the program due to the outrage(two sets of parents objected) and now that tradition has slipped away from us. You can use sex to sell everything and in your face with it, but a healthy education regarding safely shooting a .22 is evil.
Sad times!

from whitetailwizard wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Unfortuneately I live here in the " Peoples Republik of New Jersey" This state is the most assbackwards state in the union. Gun control is all they think about, however we have one of the highest violent crime rates in the nation. Because the bad guys buy guns on the street and us good guys have to jump thru hoops and wait forever to buy.
Just my 2 cents.
Always watch your six

Mike

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Maybe MR CArmel will sponsor a horehoue or strip joint, one and the same, then see the peoples open. As for guns, rread the last Stats on # of guns and amount of ammo sold on past 2 years, blew my mind. Nut, I don;t see why, as i bought myself, my wie a CC weapon and e both carry hen we leave home.We bought the Kel-tec which all you gotta do is pull the trigger, no outside hammer, no levers,
Being from N.C. The state is trying to get whoever is in charge to allow advertiseing on Tax Payers School Buses?Now wonder what they have to say, and wher is this $vgoing? If it get in the general fund, it will be pissed away as it is now. Like the Health Care Bill, if ther ever has been asorry Assed bill, this tops the list. They yet have not explained how. who, when , wher this $ goes, othr than from taxpayers pocket, plus medicare willbe cut again. I'm 74 and the little SS increase helps me pay for my prem.on my insurance Medicare Plan D which is available to all ho will pay the premium, as is with Health Cae Ins. And we pay almost l5 million Mexicans SS and takecae of their health.Go by any hospital Em Room after 5 pm an no seats available, as all taken by Mexicand and those too sorry to buy their helath care, they no thr Hospmust see them, and their Rx's all paid except 2.ooo each. Mine runs about 900.00 month with Plan D.The Ins. Co's will reach another Billion or so from this bill. Too bad the Pres, speaker of the house, congress, all don;t gt sick at once and be hospitalized at same time, till this bill dies.Al thos Idiots who wanted chane, well they got it, not let them stew. THe Mexicans have passed teh # of people in US, now next will be the whites. In less than 12 ys,,a Mexican will be Pres. Lets al ru down to the Border, takea load of guns and retire.After the war is over.

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Letthe man advertise at the whorehouses and strip joints, maybe they will understand that.

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

"from kudukid wrote 12 hours 20 min ago
By 1950 Jersey had banned BB guns."

Well, not really "banned". Severely restricted is more like it. I was born in '62 in NJ, and I did have a bb gun, my Dad had to get a Firearms ID card just to buy it though! (Yes, a FIREARMS license for a bb gun, even though the federal standard is fires a projectile by use of an explosive, guess NJ thinks air is explosive?)

It was legal to have on our property and that was about it, just like any other "firearms" it had to be unloaded and cased for transport in a vehicle, etc., yada, yada.....

I still say NJ should change it's slogan to "New Jersey, the Gestapo State"

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from abiddle013 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from huntnow wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Mjenkins1 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

He IS in New Jersey after all...

from jakenbake wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from focusfront wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Here is the web link that goes right to the palm gun:

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

They all still hunt together to this day.

from mad_dog9999 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Can I have that flag?

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from dale freeman wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I agree with "focusfront"
I really don't think people really know where we're at.
I cannot believe Americans really think like this.
My motto;" Prepare for the worst and pray for the best".

from wingshooter54 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Sad times!

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

"from kudukid wrote 12 hours 20 min ago
By 1950 Jersey had banned BB guns."

I still say NJ should change it's slogan to "New Jersey, the Gestapo State"