Bourjaily: The Abandoned German Shorthair Epidemic

The Gun Nuts

April 27, 2010

Bourjaily: The Abandoned German Shorthair Epidemic

By Phil Bourjaily

The dog in the photo is Jaeger, a German shorthaired pointer found wandering near Clarinda, Iowa. At some point in his travels his front leg was shattered by a .22 LR bullet. Jaeger is poster child for a sad trend: the number of abandoned dogs goes up in direct proportion to the number of people who have lost homes and jobs. While I can understand that – sort of – what I think is a crime is this: after two record low pheasant harvests in Iowa you have people giving up pheasant hunting and dumping dogs like Jaeger all over the state. Since this is GSP country, a lot of the abandoned dogs are shorthairs.

I knew none of this until a friend of my mother’s called me the other day. She had found a two-year-old male German shorthair a week before. She called local vets and the sheriff. She put up signs and took out classified ads. No one claimed the dog. My mother’s friend is in her 80s and doesn’t need a high energy bird dog. Trying to help her place it I talked to two shorthair breeders who agreed: “You wouldn’t believe how many people are abandoning shorthairs right now.” One of those friends put me in touch with Great Plains Pointer Rescue, a non-profit group in Omaha that rescues GSPs in Iowa and Nebraska. Janelle Ford of Great Plains said since last fall she has seen a huge increase in abandoned shorthairs. “We read on Craigslist where people have lost homes and need to place dogs,” she said. “We’ve helped some people with dog food so they can afford to keep their dogs.”

Unfortunately, many people simply drive their dogs to the country and kick them out of the car. That’s what probably what happened to Jaeger and the dog my mother’s friend found. Great Plains Pointer Rescue’s dedicated volunteers take in lost GSPs and give them foster care in their homes, then place them with new owners. Ford says she evaluates dogs with bird wings and loud noises to see if they’re hunting dogs, and if they are, she places them with hunting families.

Ford reports that Jaeger is recovering extremely well after the amputation of his injured leg. Courtney Cerkin, a GPPR volunteer from Des Moines, is on her way to see my mother’s friend and her dog on Saturday. My thanks to them and everyone else who gives their time to abandoned bird dogs.

I just wish there was a way to keep the people who dumped dogs because there were no pheasants from getting new ones when bird numbers go back up.

from Mike Diehl wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

How many of these dumped dogs are trained birders? Would they, just as an example, point desert quail as a matter of their past training if exported to Arizona? Or ruffed grouse if moved to Maine?

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

Phil,
Ditto on your last sentence. The type of people who ditch a dog in the country to get it off their mind, are the type of people who should never be allowed to own a dog in the first place. I know some people have fallen on tough times, but there is absolutely no reason to kick a dog out in the middle of nowhere. There are shelters that would take the dogs without a doubt. Sad story to hear but it's reality. My German Wirehaired Pointer's name is Jagger, spelled different but pronounced the same. I had to give him up to my parents for a couple years when I had to move into an apartment but the thought of ditching him or killing him would be absurd to me. I don't know how a pet owner of any kind could feel OK doing something like that.

from Cgull wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

Even though I have 3 adopted dogs, I'd take another in a heartbeat. Cant believe that some have the capability to discard a loyal dog that only knows to try its darndest to please its owner. I also wonder if the shattered leg came from a round that was ment to dispatch poor Jaeger. If you cant afford to feed the dog, take the time and effort (dosent take much)to put the animal up for adoption. Some child or another hunter just may jump at the chance. Again I see Karma working.

from Cgull wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

While looking for a closer rescue center I see that Oklahom has a simular program, I would bet this is a problem in many states, simply unbelievable. Here's Ok's link and the aboves also.

from cliff68 wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

Makes me sick to my stomach. People that dump dogs are the scum of the earth in my opinion. Took in an abandoned GSP a few years ago and she has turned out into being one of the best bird dogs I've ever owned. On the other hand she's quite the couch potato too.

from Mark-1 wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

Sad. Too many people don’t understand the value of a loyal, devoted dog or horse. These animals are only seen as tools to be discarded once they are an “inconvenience”.
I’ve seen fine hunting dogs abandoned once the seasons are over. Horses are abandoned on state land if old or too expensive.

Thank God the Law forbids abandoning children and seniors for the same reasons.

from JHawes wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

I have a neighbor who has dozens of inbred mutts that occasionally breed with coyote that run all over the country side and almost everybody in the area knows about it. So every once in a while someone may ditch their dogs along the highway near his place thinking they will mingle with his dogs. Most of the time his dogs are so feral that they often attack or chase off the dogs until they retreat to our house or a neighbors. Over the years we have seen mastiffs, boxers, dachshunds, pointers, and more and there's not much we can do to help them either.

from MLH wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

That is a fine looking GSP. Looks like a dog that is still looking to hunt.

Seems more people would know about dog rescue organizations. There seems to be rescues for every breed spread throughout the country. Many people are looking for mature trained gun dogs. A lady got a rescued setter. Se was not a hunter but figured she enter him into some trials since that is what he was bred to do. Turns out he is one very very fine bird dog. The owner enjoys being around the trainers and hunters. Who knows where this will lead her.

from Andrew Ferraro wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

That's a shame. The GSP is such a gentle and loving breed. In addition to being fantastic bird dogs they are great with kids (although I wouldn't suggest any rescue dog with young children). I wouldn't trade ours for anything.
I signed a contract with my responsible breeder that require i would return the dog to them if things didn't work out. Although this probably wouldn't matter to the dregs who would abandon an animal like that.

from FARMBOY wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

I just better not say anything because anything I would say would not be tolerant of someone who would dump a dog. Won't stand for it.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

How gutless can a person be? If you can't find someone to take the dog have it put down. We recently had someone dump out an older Yellow Lab female at our home which is way out in the country side. She still had the collar mark around her neck and her entire right flank was "road rash" where they literally tossed her out on the move.

Needless to say she was scared and had lost all trust of a human. It took my wife and I nearly two weeks to get her to the point of accepting food from our hand and another week to get her comfortable being handled again. I didn't want to see the dog die with all that baggage in her head so we decided to take her in. 6 months later she is part of the family and is quite happy. She is a good dog and doesn't get into very much mischief (she did swipe a turkey wing from my shop that I was drying) but she is no hunter. Yetta (a corruption of yellow dog) is quiet and loving and again has a place in the world.

I agree also that any person who abandons a hunting dog, or any dog for that fact because of hard times should not be allowed to have a dog or hunt when good times roll again. Be responsible.

from blackdawgz wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Whoever shot thet dawg oughta be crucified upside down over a fire ant bed!

from Logan C. Adams wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I have been a proud volunteer of a no-kill pet shelter for the past two years. It has led me to believe very fervently that there is a special place in hell for people who abuse animals.

I'll also tell you this: When you rescue a dog from a shelter, they return that kindness tenfold. They understand that you are bringing them to a happy home from a harsh place, more often than not, and they will spend the rest of their lives trying to repay you.

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

If these jerks treat their hunting dogs like this.I can only wonder how they conduct themselves afield.

from wgp wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

In case it would cause a non-hunter to adopt a GSP, my brother-in-law, who does not hunt and lives in the city, adopted a rescued GSP simply because he liked the personality of my (hunting) GSP. It's worked out very well. These dogs have a wonderful personality, in the field or at home.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

This story is near to my heart; My first hunting dog was "Dutchess" as GSP. She was part of of family for 10 years,and it was a very sad day when I had to put her down due to cancer. That was in Aug 1990. Very sad day, and I cannot bring myself to get another GSP since. I have hunted over labs, and brits, since and none come close to the memories of Dutchess...

from huskerguy wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I'll have to check into that next time I need a dog. See what they've got.

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Mr. Deihl what point are you trying to make with this?

from Mike Diehl wrote 10 hours 56 min ago

So your saying ( or seem to be) if a dog needs retraining your just willing yo just give up on it? ( I hope I am wrong.)

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Diehl* did not pay attention the firdt time! Sorry

from Themasterdan wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Best bird dog I've ever owned was a GSP my old mans friend found while hunting. I cried more when I put that dog down than when my real father died.

from damo450 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I was raised on shorthairs and have an ultra deep spot in my heart for them. It is simple to me. Find the person who shot that dog in the leg and shoot them in the leg. I have a kimber that would do nicely.

from damo450 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from yohan wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

If I start I wont stop so I wont start
But must say one very damn sad state of afairs

from olsingleshot wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I hate to see this. I am a big dog lover but if you think the dogs are a problem just look at the abandoned cats. They breed more often and do far more damage to wildlife and game.

from JohnR wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

This really gets to me. I will never forget the time 2 or 3 summers ago that someone dumped a dog here during the tourist season. It was a lab mix. Traffic was slow because it was the middle of the busy summer (tourist) season. The dog, a lab mix, would walk in the road and look at every car (I assume) to see if it was the owner come back for it. The dog could do this because the traffic was slow. It broke my heart! It was gone by the end of the second day so I hope someone took it in.

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Mans inhumanity to man.
We've not come far from the lions and christians, have we ?

from Bella wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

We are in accord on this, a dog is a dependent, just like your child, a responsibility that cannot be just tossed out. While I am not one to anthropomorphisize critters, dogs are not like chainsaws or other objects, they have feelings too. If one could do such to a loving loyal dog, how do they treat their kids!
Some people shouldn't keep animals, just like some people shouldn't be allowed to breed.

from ngonseth wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Dale and Bella, couldn't agree more. A dog is a member of the family, and taking one into the family is a commitment to provide them, in addition to food and shelter, love and respect. I could no sooner abuse or abandon a dog than I could one of my children.

from tom warner wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Seeing what human beings do to other human beings every day and throughout history, it's not surprising what is done to animals. Sad and discouraging. Folks who do things like this probably cannot be trusted around their fellow man either. Calling people who can do this, "beasts", is a slur on the animal kingdom.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

All of our dogs, except my black dawg, have been rescue dogs of one sort or another. Takes a pretty gutless POS to do some of the things that are done to dogs (and cats). There is no end to the beating I would give to someone I saw mistreating a dog.

from SouthernUpland wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I rescued a 3 year old English Setter in North Georgia. He's probably one of the most well trained house and yard dogs I've ever owned. He isn't too keen on pointing anymore, but hey, I've taken so much pleasure out of upland hunting I figure I could take a moment to rescue a poor soul who shares my love but was left by the wayside.

from Mock1 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

My wife got a rescue dog for my oldest daughter. Its a rat terrier and a pain in the *ss. I wish she would have gotten a dog likr Jeager instead. He would compliment my black lab beautifully! Some poeple get all the luck! My wife also got 2 resue cats. I don't want to talk about it

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from blackdawgz wrote 17 hours 29 min ago
Whoever shot thet dawg oughta be crucified upside down over a fire ant bed!

Exactly what should happen,I could think of a few worse punishments,but this one sounds good to me.

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I've had to shoot a couple of my dogs over the years, those who were old and suffering.
I don't think I could bring myself to shoot or abandon one just because he was inconvenient to keep at the time.
It's sad, really sad.......

from elmer f. wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

my post isn't just about shorthairs. it is about ALL abandoned dogs. having found several throughout my life, and having a huge soft spot in my heart for dogs, i have to pick up any of them i find. it saddens me deeply that man can kick his best freind out of a car and drive off. realistcly, if you can not keep your dog, you should be legally responsible for finding it a home, or having it put down. i hate even thinking about the later of those two, but abandoning a pet should be illegal in my opinion. the dog loves you, it is depending on you to take care of it, and all it really asks is a little food and water, minimal vetrinary care, and a couple of pets a day. it can tell when you are stressed, and he/she really doesnt care where he/she lives, as long as it isn't miserable. no one would even think about abndoning their kids, and while your dog isn't your flesh and blood, in many ways, it is like your child. you are supposed to be a MAN, step up to the plate and be responsible. if you can not take care of your dog, either find it another home, or kill it (which is what happens if you take 98% of all animals taken to government run animal control "shelters"). can you imagine dumping a child off out in the country hopeing it will find enough food and shelter to survive?

from Capt.SeaCraft wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Hello Fellow GSP and Bird Dog Lovers!
My name is Steve.I need to make a plea here.
I know Janelle Ford and Courtney Cerbin and have been supporting Great Plains Pointer Rescue for over two years now!Please understand that what they do for this breed(and others)is just absolutely incredible.
I live in California and donate to their rescue when I can.I wish I could do more and would ask anyone who can donate to help them cover the huge costs associated with their efforts to please do.....it really is rewarding and 100% tax deductible! I saved my GSP Dasher from going to a high kill shelter when he was 6 months old and he has been the best dog I could have ever wished for.I love to help because I hope that others can share this bond with other GSP's that come from rescue/abandoned situations like Dasher.If you are on Facebook you can stay abreast on the great rescue stories from GPPR and other rescues.You'll find Janelle and Courtney by just typing in their names.
Lets not turn our back to them.The economy is forcing so many abandonment's....at this time we all need to help save our four legged friends in peril.Folks like Janelle and Courtney who open their homes and hearts to save them need our support to be able to keep doing it.Please step up if your able and may your hunting/fishing trips be bountiful!

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

There's some gorgeous field dogs here at our county shelter.

All our animals have always been rescues. It's not even as expensive as getting a free pup, since they're spayed/neutered, had shots, etc.

One of our dogs was apparently left in a cage to rot. His back legs were atrophied, and he had mange and malnutrition. It took a year before that poor thing would go near a stranger. But now he's as happy to go places, walk in the woods, and meet people as our other, which was a puppy rescue.

We can't help them all, I wish I could, but can't afford more than we have now. I guess spoiling ours half to death is our way of making up to them for their previous life.

Thanks for the article. If everyone who couldn't take in an animal could give a few bucks, or some food and blankets, to their local Humane society shelter it would help keep more alive.

from GSP Rescue SW wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Thank you for this! My husband and have actively rescued and re-homed GSPs for many years. We are both hunters and have had GSPs for more years than I'll post. Sportsmen and women need to be educated as to the large numbers of GSPs and other sporting breeds that are dumped and abandonned regularly. Most sporting breeds are too much dog for the average owners...and for some hunters, too...(as well as the present economy being factors for abandonned dogs). While most rescues do not advocate adopting to a home specifically wanting a dog to hunt, we do screen homes vigorously to ensure that the dog is not abandonned again...whether or not he/she is deemed to be a hunter. Rescue cannot guarantee whether or not a dog will hunt...and while some of us can determine this, many rescuers cannot. We have personally adopted champion GSPs through our own rescue...these dogs have been family members first and hunters as a bonus...for us and for them. Many of the GSPs who don't hunt, still get to come along for the sheer joy of it. Please consider checking out your shelters and rescues first when looking for a new companion...or even just to help. These dogs are amazing and resilient...they are the best friends we could hope for...and...if they get to hunt as well- that's just gravy!
When buying a dog from a breeder, I would advise that they come recommended and that they also have a strict contract in place for purchasing and re-accepting the dog if, for some reason they need to be re-homed. These contracts protect everyone...breeder, buyer, owners and dogs...and also help to keep the non-ethical back yard breeders and puppy-millers where they belong- broke and not doing business. Spaying and neutering your hunting companions helps also....they will always want to hunt and please you- even with "bits" missing!
The GSPCA has links to all National rescue groups... www.gspca.org and Petfinder.org also lists many of the rescuers. You'll be pleasantly surprised to find out how many rescuers are also hunters, field-trialers and show folks. People like Janelle and hundreds of others cannot be thanked enough for their contributions to the great GSPs out there.

from hengst wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

After I had to have my German Shephard Romeo put to sleep not to long ago I decided to get a new friend for our lab Sam. It amazed me when doing the dog search exactly how many GSP's have been abondoned and are in shelters. I always thought GSP's to be ugly as heck. Well I ended up in a shelter not far from my house and ran into Gunner a GSP that was "given up" supposedly because he is an "escape artist" I have a strange feeling about dogs and always get a good one for some reason. Gunner went home with me about 45 min later. All i needed was a little work and I only had to find Gunner 3 times in the neighborhood, twice in the neighbors house on the couch. The neighbors wanted to keep houdini. I will say one thing he is hyper but learns very well and I will see very soon how well he gets on the birds during training, I am not sure if he is gun shy, Sam WAS gun shy. I guess folks give up to soon. Their loss my gain. The funny thing is Gunner has a great AKC bloodline from a good breader here in Colorado. I just don't like his name he is so ugly he looks more like a Roscoe or a Eugene..typical GSP...great little guy even if he sucks at birding its fine He can tag along...If you are looking for a great dog check out the ugly GSP's and give one a good home. So you might have to work at training a little harder (or not) but it is better to give one a second chance.

from 86Ram wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

That is irresponsible of careless owners. It seems as if the owners only wanted the dogs in order to hunt and once they couldn't afford to hunt they just turned the dogs loose.

That's a shame the dog was crippled. I hope they find him a good home.

from mdrewhall wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I'd like to shoot the owner of that dog in the leg. People like this give gun dog owners a bad name. I'd sell my truck to pay for a surgery for my dog, Hank, if I had to.

www.outdoorwriter.net

from jblackburn10 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Wow, I too have such a love for the GSP. I have a Jager and he couldn't be any better. I rescued him from an owner that had abandoned him and his sister in their kennel in the dead of winter. Sadly his sister passed and Jager was forced to do something now dog should ever have to do to survive. I have seen the owner and wanted to kill him, he never knew I was the one who rescued my boy and it's all I can do to keep my wits about me. I had never heard of this need and I will surely be supporting this amazing cause.

from bigajvigs wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

Phil,

After reading this story I feel sick to my stomach, but also I wanted to know how to get a hold of the Great Plains people and see if I could possibly give one of the abandoned GSP's a good home. I have 40 acres of land in Maine and am looking for a good hunting dog/companion pet and after reading this story I think I would give one of the abandoned GSP's a good home with plenty of land to play on and take him/her hunting.

from resq wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

Thank you Phil for sharing Jaeger's story! He is going home and has a cute little girlfriend. :)

Thank you all for your support!

from stanleyda wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

I too have had to put dogs down and it hurts very badly. I've had others ask how could you do that and I've told them how could I not. I couldn't live with putting a dog out and then think of what might happen to the dog,(run over,ticks, starve,no water, the list is just to long. My Father told me years ago, you take care of them. If they are hurting you do everything you can for them. If they beccome to old and are suffering you owe it to the dog to end the pain. I have always had a hard time even selling a dog because I just find it hard trusting someone to treat the dog right. I guess knowing a few people who I would trust with one of my dogs is a blessing.

from Great Plains Po... wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

If you are interested in helping (fostering) or even adopting a homeless hunter. Please contact us at:
www.greatpointers.org
Thank you Phil for bringing this issue to the public eye.

from Inspectorrich108 wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

Times can be tough no one disagrees with taht at all. But when you take on the responsibility of a dog or any other pet for tha tmatter their lives , trust and love are in your hands. It does not speak well of people or human nature to just discard a member of your family like that. How hard can it be to reach out to rescues, they are all over the place nowadays. I have had several GSP's 'own me for twenty years now. If i was ever in that situation( and i hope I never am) i would a least find my dog a good place or rescue to live. You owe it to them.

Some one asked on here if GSP's would be good for hunting other birds. Most defintely yes!! I have hunted all kinds of birds with my GSP's They are bird dogs and love the excitement. Trust me they will hunt hard to please you.

Rich

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

Jaeger is a fine looking dog. Stads so straight and tall. He is lucky you got him.

from blackdawgz wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Whoever shot thet dawg oughta be crucified upside down over a fire ant bed!

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from elmer f. wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from Capt.SeaCraft wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Hello Fellow GSP and Bird Dog Lovers!
My name is Steve.I need to make a plea here.

from cliff68 wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

from Logan C. Adams wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

from Cgull wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

from JHawes wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

That is a fine looking GSP. Looks like a dog that is still looking to hunt.

from Bella wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

It's sad, really sad.......

from GSP Rescue SW wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

Phil,

from Cgull wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

from Mark-1 wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

Thank God the Law forbids abandoning children and seniors for the same reasons.

from Andrew Ferraro wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

from FARMBOY wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from wgp wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from Themasterdan wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from damo450 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from ngonseth wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from Mock1 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from blackdawgz wrote 17 hours 29 min ago
Whoever shot thet dawg oughta be crucified upside down over a fire ant bed!

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

There's some gorgeous field dogs here at our county shelter.

from mdrewhall wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

www.outdoorwriter.net

from stanleyda wrote 3 years 46 weeks ago

from huskerguy wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I'll have to check into that next time I need a dog. See what they've got.

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Diehl* did not pay attention the firdt time! Sorry

from damo450 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from olsingleshot wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from JohnR wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Mans inhumanity to man.
We've not come far from the lions and christians, have we ?

from tom warner wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from SouthernUpland wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from hengst wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

That's a shame the dog was crippled. I hope they find him a good home.

from jblackburn10 wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from bigajvigs wrote 3 years 49 weeks ago

Phil,

from resq wrote 3 years 48 weeks ago

Thank you all for your support!

from Great Plains Po... wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

www.greatpointers.org
Thank you Phil for bringing this issue to the public eye.

from Inspectorrich108 wrote 3 years 31 weeks ago

Rich

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Mr. Deihl what point are you trying to make with this?

from Mike Diehl wrote 10 hours 56 min ago