Party Poppers for Libya

The Gun Nuts

September 01, 2011

Party Poppers for Libya

By David E. Petzal

What with all the excitement over Hurricane Irene, you may have missed the following press release from Martha’s Vineyard on 8/23:

“The President, in a gesture of support for the brave freedom fighters of Libya, has ordered the director of the Lake City Arsenal to alter some of our existing stocks of 7.62mm, 5.54mm, and 12.7mm Soviet ammunition for firing in the air as a means of celebration. The United States not only recognizes the right of different cultures to express themselves in ways different from ours, but believes they should be able to do it safely, without the risk of injury from falling projectiles.

“The Lake City Arsenal will remove the bullets from this ammunition, replace the powder with a propellant designed for pyrotechnics, and replace the original projectiles with new ones made from light, biodegradable plastic that cannot cause injury and is not based on animal fats. This will result in increased flash and report, while at the same time eliminating the risks inherent in firing conventional ammunition into the air.

“We hope to have the first shipments on the way to Libya by the end of the month.” No precise figures were given for the number of rounds to be converted or the expense for the conversion and shipping, but a reliable source estimated that the total for the three cartridges would “…not exceed 1.7 million” and that the cost to the taxpayer, including air transportation, would “….certainly not be more that $445 million…”

from etexan wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

certainly not!

from Big Country wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Just how does that bennifit America in any way? I really don't understand what the hell this presadent has in his head other than socialist dreams for America.

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

lmao

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I bet the president tries to make these mandatory for hunting too...

from MattB wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

This better be a joke!

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Unbelievable. What next...

from tygh98 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Heard an article this morning about how the new government in Libya was concerned about the firearms in the hands of the general public. The qoute was that pretty much everoyne in the country is now armed. After the conflict is over the government plans on rounding them up. They also said they were sure most people would willingly turn them in ecxept for a few "trouble makers." The government did anticipate having to pay for some of the guns, because some wanted to keep them for souvenirs and to fire them into the air at times of celebration.

I mean, you wouldnt want the general public to have firearms, right after your new government was set up. Someone might get hurt.

from rock rat wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

The satire, not that funny. The fact that most of your readers will take it for true, hilarious. They're so used to hearing lies reported as truth that they can't tell an obvious joke when they hear it.

-5 Good Comment? | | Report
from jcarlin wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

That's funny. But I propose to keep some of the generosity at home in these poor economic times. As my first modest proposal I would recommend a distribution to myself and other hobbyists, tax payers all, of surplus .223 and .45ACP ammunition.

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I would like a .50Cal Barrett, 5,000 rds, Socom 458 Heh,5000 rds,500 Claymores, and thats for starters! Heh

Rat get back to backlash.

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Dang rockrat, I was just hoping they were going to come out with a 5.56/.223 version for my AR. You just dashed my dreams.

from rob wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Rock Rat - Just curious, what lies has David reported that we his slathering horde believed? Do tell.......

from cTXn wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

"increased flash and report" that could hurt their eyes and ears! I don't think we should take that risk.

from MJC wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Pull the other one.

The sad thing is, I'm sure a little sleuthing would reveal an actual expenditure of taxpayer money that was just as absurd.

from rock rat wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

None I can think of rob, I was referring to the standard fare of RW radio, TV, print. Birther much? One is allowed to fib in satire.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from aferraro wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I'm pretty sure you're kidding.......

from Mark-1 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Tell me you're bored today, DP, and this is a chain jerk'r.

from Tony C. wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Glad to hear it. I watched a couple of those Libyans celebrating the other day on 5:00 news and one almost blew his buddy's face off. Not that blowing his buddy's face off would have been a great tragedy.

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

And this time next year, Iran will have full control!

Good job Mac Daddy!

and is not based on animal fats?

CRACK ME UP!

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Maybe we'll be able to get a few of those on the surplus market.

We can use them on July 4th to celebrate what used to be our Independence.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Ah ha... Since I probably fall into Rock Rodents "believe anyting" group... I wouldn't doubt it.

from Armchair Mike wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

This might be funny if I didn't think there's an even-money chance it's real. Just that I have to wonder lets you know what kind of shape we're in at the moment.

from Oryx wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

This piece of satire...not that funny. That most of your readers will take it for true I find hilarious. They're so used to hearing lies reported as truths that they can't tell an obvious joke when they read it.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

If you think this is a joke Google the amount of money we spent to make the folks in Baghdad happy. $445 million. Coincidence?

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

All this work with tax payer money for Iran's new state!

from PbHead wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Dave, are you related to Sam Clemens? On occasion, he would comment on firearms.

from davidpetzal wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

To pbhead: Would that I were. He's probably the greatest writer America has ever produced.

from Bernie wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I am sure Dave is kidding, but nothing the Obama Administration does surprises me anymore.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Let's pull the bullets, dump the powder, and reload with C-4 then replace the bullets.

from wgiles wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

How very thoughtful.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Jim in Mo wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Let's send normally loaded cartridges over there and be damned with gravity!

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I think rock rat has it right. This has to be a joke.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from 99explorer wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I also doubt that there would be any estimates volunteered as to the cost. $445 million? There's plenty more where that came from:-)

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Ha! Ha! why would an american arsenal produce Russian ammo in the first place. Good one Dave!

from focusfront wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Don't mess with us like this, Dave. The truth hurts enough these days. You trying to kill us?

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Yea lets not fix any of the problems here. Lets spend 445 million tax dollars on giving the Lybian's play ammo. I bet thats not including the cost of getting it over there either. I mean really we are going to spend money on that??? So they are safe? They have been shooting in the air for as long as they have had guns. And really its no great loss if one or two of them are taken out.

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

You know what just kinda dawned on me? Not only did Obama ok this, but it had to go through the senet committe too. So not just one man failed us but all of them spent our money on this.

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Rock Rat; sorry your getting thumbs down marks. I think everyone is intitled to their oppinion and should not be criticed for shairing them. BUT I have to agree with Rob, I don't think Dave has lied or printied false information yet, and I trust what I read here to be true.
David; what sorces did you use for this info? Just to be clear I don't dout you at all, but for the guy how does being able to look it up may settle his douts.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from damo450 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I suppose the most depressing part for me is....I have no idea whether this is a joke or the truth....very depressing for sure.

from micko77 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I'm convinced the joke's on us but really, I wouldn't be surprised if he mandates a rainbow-color array for San Francisco to make some amends with the LGBTABCDEFG crowd.

from jim in nc wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

"No animal fats?" Say what? Maybe PETA is making US policy now. But hey, Libya is Muslim and we wouldn't want a replay of the Sepoy Mutiny, would we?

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from tom warner wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Dave: I certainly agree with your comment on Clemens/Twain.
There has never been anyone remotely like him, before or since. A genius. In this day and age, I doubt that many Americans have read much of his writing, with the possible exception of Huckleberry Finn. Rock rat: Sadly, I think that you are entirely correct.

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Careful there tom warner!
The "stone rodent" is a "BIG" Obama fan and has been known to practice "TRANSPARENCY"*! Just like Obama!

Bubba
*(I'll tell you what to believe! You should just believe it.)

from silsbyj wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Even if this is a joke, dont think that our Head Dumbass in Chief wouldnt spend that kind of money on something this stupid. He would and HAS!

from poetwild wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

The President has been shooting blanks since the day after his inauguration. "Social justice" means we all have to shoot blanks...there's the real truth.

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Does anyone over here really care if the sand rats over there off each other firing wildly into the air?

I don't.

from Jim in Avon wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal:

I am one of your greatest fans, but I fear I must rebuke you for committing a grave journalistic sin: You have crafted a satire so close to plausible, with no indication that it is not true, that many, if not most of your readers will take it as fact.

I know, first-hand, that at least two news organizations today queried the White House press office as to whether there WAS such a release sent out. It's likely that several others did as well.

It was a great little tale, but given this administration, it was an entirely possible scenario. But, since it is fiction, and nowhere within it did you so indicate, you now may have a self-inflicted credibility wound. I hope it is not mortal.

from GrizzlyIX wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

You gotta be FORKIN' KIDDIN' !
ROTFLMFAO!

from hutter wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I think he should deliver it personaly. Maybe take the first shot. I'm sure he's not a good shot so maybe he would hit Airforce One and not be able to return!

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Everybody got the 'animal fat' part, right?

from Tigerbeetle wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Only pork fat, right? Lots and lots of pork fat.

from fortycal wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Now there's an Eldest Son opportunity if ever there was one.

from mspl8sdcntryboy wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I hope this doesn't mean we are supporting idiots with guns again just like in Iraq in the '80s just before they turned on us, it seems we are setting our-selves up for trouble. If we want Qadafi out we should do it our selves rather than support bufoons with bullets.

from coachsjike wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

who gives a @#!$ about libya or any other sand flea infested country? just like pakistan where we were giving them approx 2-3 million a year to find out that they were hiding bin laden! how about we send libya one nice big nuclear whistle and turn that whole place into one large diamond! we get rid of bin laden and there are thousands more who want to take his place, same with kadafi....big deal a diamond is much nicer!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Sounds like a good plan to me. That pyrotechnics powder will almost certainly eat the guts out of the gun barrels thereby making them nearly useless down the road to shoot each other or any peacekeepers when the "revolution" is over and done with.

I haven't checked this blog for a long time. I think it will be a while before I check it again.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Nice article,Dave, NOW lets get back to the REAL WORLD!

from smallgamehunter25 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Apparently my previous comment wasn't allowed to be posted. Now there's two things to be mildy upset about.

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I think Jim in Avon summed it up perfectly. Our friend Dave has created a satire that is just so close to plausible that many of us accepted it at face value. In doing so, he has set the stage for future misstatements of fact to be dismissed with the excuse that he was only kidding.

from tat2tom wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

WTF...! Why not go all the way,he should go there turn his pistol sideways and pop off a few...YEAH BOY....what a ass

from Rod Norman wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Wow what a waste of taxpayer money. Thanks for failing more President Zero!Just wait, he'll make these "party poppers" the only legal ammunition for use in the United States.

from Nixstyx wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Judging from the comments here, a lot of you are pretty slow... Kind of sad really.

from Hoski wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

DEP,
Does it worry you just a little that supposedly intelligent folks can't distinguish satire from reality?

Scares the bejeebers outta me.

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

And your one of them I bet.

from shane wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Aww, look how confused. Cute.

Keep the satire coming, Dave.

Rat, it's hilarious precisely because of all the readers on here that don't get it. In that sense, you don't get it.

from CCMJS wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

This is better satire than jon daily, colbert report, or cnn. Funny stuff.

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

so for everyone that gave the negitive for asking for the source; it was a trick and not a word of truth!!!

from tygh98 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Big Country wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from davidpetzal wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from silsbyj wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I bet the president tries to make these mandatory for hunting too...

from Tim Platt wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from rob wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

lmao

from MattB wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

This better be a joke!

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Unbelievable. What next...

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Rat get back to backlash.

from MJC wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Pull the other one.

from focusfront wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Careful there tom warner!

Bubba
*(I'll tell you what to believe! You should just believe it.)

from poetwild wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I don't.

from Jim in Avon wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Mr. Petzal:

from Tigerbeetle wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Only pork fat, right? Lots and lots of pork fat.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Nice article,Dave, NOW lets get back to the REAL WORLD!

from Nixstyx wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

from etexan wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

certainly not!

from aferraro wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I'm pretty sure you're kidding.......

from Tony C. wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

And this time next year, Iran will have full control!

Good job Mac Daddy!

and is not based on animal fats?

CRACK ME UP!

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Maybe we'll be able to get a few of those on the surplus market.

We can use them on July 4th to celebrate what used to be our Independence.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Armchair Mike wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

All this work with tax payer money for Iran's new state!

from Bernie wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Let's send normally loaded cartridges over there and be damned with gravity!

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from damo450 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from micko77 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from GrizzlyIX wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

You gotta be FORKIN' KIDDIN' !
ROTFLMFAO!

from hutter wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Everybody got the 'animal fat' part, right?

from fortycal wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Now there's an Eldest Son opportunity if ever there was one.

from mspl8sdcntryboy wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from coachsjike wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from smallgamehunter25 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from 99explorer wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from tat2tom wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Rod Norman wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Hoski wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

DEP,

Scares the bejeebers outta me.

from cTXn wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Mark-1 wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Tell me you're bored today, DP, and this is a chain jerk'r.

from Oryx wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from PbHead wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from tom warner wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Dave: I certainly agree with your comment on Clemens/Twain.

from Jere Smith wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

And your one of them I bet.

from shane wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Aww, look how confused. Cute.

Keep the satire coming, Dave.

from CCMJS wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

This is better satire than jon daily, colbert report, or cnn. Funny stuff.

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from rock rat wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from wgiles wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

How very thoughtful.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from jim in nc wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from 99explorer wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I think rock rat has it right. This has to be a joke.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report