What Happens When You Shoot Buckshot Through a Rifled Barrel? (Gun Nuts TV Question Winners Announced)

The Gun Nuts

November 05, 2012

By Phil Bourjaily

This was the second year on the The Gun Nuts that we answered viewer questions and it has become one of my favorite segments to do on the show. The question in the video above came from Bob, and I think the video illustrates fairly well what happens when you shoot buckshot from a rifled barrel. At very close range—a few feet—a rifled barrel gives great buckshot patterns. Years ago I had the chance to shoot a European woodcock gun that had gently rifled barrels to give open patterns in close cover.

Anyway, this year we answered questions from:

Ontario Honker: “Advantage of a Middle Bead”
7.5x55: “Teaching a Rifle Shooter not to Aim”
Bob: “What happens when you shoot buckshot through a rifled barrel?”
AJ McLure: “How do manufacturers regulate shotgun barrels?”
Deadeye Dick: “Slug vs. Ballistic Buffalo”
Hutter: “Is there really no such thing as shot string?”
M.S. Connors: “Mixed Shot Sizes”

Now, about those hats I promised: they don’t exist.

Through failure to communicate with our marketing people—who I believed to have an endless supply of hats—I learn now that our hat inventory stands at zero. I am sorry. What we do have to give away in place of hats is Cabela's All-In-One Gun Cleaning Kit. You can’t wear them around town but they are much more useful. Those of you whose questions we used, thank you, and please email the webmaster account with your name and address.

This is also a good time to mention you can start voting for The Gun Nuts to win one or more of the Outdoor Channel’s Golden Moose Awards.

The Gun Nuts is eligible for Best Overall Series and Best Host(s) in the Fan Favorite categories. The winners of the Fan Favorite and other categories (Gun Nuts was submitted for 3 other awards) will be announced at the Golden Moose Awards in Las Vegas, during SHOT show.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Is this sort of like the non-existent free gear testing program? We love you guys anyway1 LOL

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I just went on the site and gave a vote for our favorite "Gun Nuts". Keep up the good work.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Great video, Phil. I never thought of shooting buckshot thru my slugguns but now I know so thanks a bunch.

from 7.5x55 wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

It was another great season. Thanks!

from PbHead wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I will do everything I can to help the Gun Nuts win the Golden Moose along with the some what less prestigious Nobel Prize for Literature.

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

That's good information to know. Great video, Phil.

from Jim in Mo wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I did receive one last year and it is a good looking hat, yea, something a guy would say.
Maybe another order could be put in. jmo

from Big Bob W wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Wish I could hear what Phil has to say.

from Tc505 wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

now I have a question. in the video it showed the second shot going thru an improved barrel. having never owned an improved barrel I have to ask "what happens when buckshot is fired thru a full choke barrel??" I know the purpose is to squeeze the shot tighter with the smaller shot but how does it affect the larger shot? also will it ruin the full choke if continual use of buckshot thru it?

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

That gesture you have of placing the hat over the camera lense is almost a signature move now, Phil. Don't think you could achieve the same effect with a gun cleaning kit. I know you are as diappointed as the rest of us about the hats (I mean, anyone can buy one of those cleaning kits but a Gun Nuts hat would be something to treasure and be proud of!). Time to take those marketing folks out back for a little "talk".

BTW, you Nuts got my votes!!!

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

BTW, you Nuts got my votes!!!

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

How do I contact the webmaster to give him the info??

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from PbHead wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from 7.5x55 wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

It was another great season. Thanks!

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

That's good information to know. Great video, Phil.

from Jim in Mo wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Maybe another order could be put in. jmo

from Big Bob W wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Wish I could hear what Phil has to say.

from Tc505 wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

BTW, you Nuts got my votes!!!

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

BTW, you Nuts got my votes!!!

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

How do I contact the webmaster to give him the info??