A Muzzle Brake That Makes A Rifle...Louder?

The Gun Nuts

August 14, 2013

A Muzzle Brake That Makes A Rifle...Louder?

By Phil Bourjaily

I don’t shoot centerfire rifles often, so every time I do I’m struck by how loud they are compared to shotguns and how much concussion they create. The muzzleblasts seem to flatten the grass around them. Even when I am sighting in a slug gun and people two or three lanes away are shooting ARs I can feel the noise. Why would anyone want to make a rifle louder? Beats me, but sometimes it’s best not to ask why.

Snake Hound Machine of New Hampshire, an outfit that mostly specializes in custom AKs introduces The Loudener, which does exactly what its name suggests: it makes a rifle louder. Even in the video you can sense a dramatic difference between the loudened and unloudened rifles.

While it’s hard to find a good reason for the Loudener to exist it does remind me of something my late father-in-law, a Marine who fought in Korea, told me about firefights: “All you wanted to do was make more noise than the other side. As long as you were making more noise you felt like you were winning.” The Loudener would definitely help there.

from hengst wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

Somebody shoots on of those off next to me and I will make sure their trigger finger won't work for a while after that. What a ridiculous concept. Maybe it also acts as a "compensator" for other issues, who knows

from schizuki wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

These are for the same a**h***s who pull the mufflers off of their Harleys. I guess Mommy didn't give them enough attention so now we all have to suffer.

from chuckles wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

"Stupid is as stupid does."

ps Editors: That flashing ad at the top of the page is going to give someone a seizure.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

This one beats the hell out of the theory of "silent and deadly"!

from O Garcia wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

I remember that episode of Doomsday Preppers on National Geographic, where two preppers were inside a car (or some kind of booth/enclosed space), practicing how they would shoot at invaders, and one of them lets go with an AR. Although the other guy's head wasn't directly to the side of the flash suppressor, he still got much of the blast in his ear. He staggered out the door, threw up, collapsed and had dizzy spells for the rest of the day.

from 31Alpha wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

So it looks like it does what any body who has shot with a muzzlebrake has already known...when gases get directed back at the shooter or people behind the shooter, the perceived concussion and volume of a rifle is louder.

from DSMbirddog wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

And someone would actually hand over cash to get one of these? Wow.

from DSMbirddog wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

And someone would actually hand over cash to get one of these? Wow.

from NHshtr wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

I don't think he ever explains why someone would want one...and I can understand why!

from nelsol wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

The only reason I have a screw-on compensator is for pay-back to some numb nut (NN) who brings a compensated handgun to an indoor range. If you've ever had the displeasure to experience this awful display of disrespect for your fellow shooters...well pay-back is appropriate. Put the screw-on compensator onto the threaded barrel of my Glock M20 10mm, fire off a few rounds, and watch the NN next to you flinch, grimace, and start to drool. Followed by muttering, randomly collecting their belongings, and stumbling out of the range area. Sorry that it may seem a bit excessive, but compensated weapons as well as NN's have no place in an indoor range environment.

from Zermoid wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

I saw that video a week or so ago, and thought it was a joke of some kind.

It's for real????

And they expect people to pay for that?

from ejunk wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

stupid. see also: truck nuts.

from Scott Jones wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

This serves the same purpose as a flash/bang grenade. If you have to bust through a door you want everyone inside hiding with crap running down both legs. Shock and awe.

from Scott Jones wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

from hengst wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

Scott Jones...busted thru many doors lately and tried this? The muzzle flash will effect your vision more than the boom or flash will effect the folks inside.

from Treestand wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

Its as Dumb as People buying $5.00 Coup of Coffee!

from Tim Platt wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

Sounds and feels like a .50 cal.... wow. I thought you wanted your opponent to underestimate you. I have a friend who is a GM engineer and he has a car that he has done a lot of work to, and it looks stock and sounds stock. But when he hits the gas the front wheels come off the ground. He is the real deal. I think these other guys are called poseurs. Sheep in wolves clothing. I don't get it.

from MReeder wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

To paraphrase the Bard, a product sold to idiots, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing but burst eardrums...

from FirstBubba wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

First! Any gun caliber followed by the word "MAGNUM" makes my eyes roll back in my head, I begin to drool and exit the area displaying the onset of "St. Vitus Dance" symptoms!
My friend and I were sitting at a bench at a small (4 lanes) private range sighting in his new Rem 742 .243 Win.. Possum and Skeeter (not their real names [I think!?]) show up with what we decide later must have been a small mountain howitzer!
The barrel looked to be about 36" with a poop knot on the business end.
Roy asked me, "What's that on the end?"
"That's a "magna-port"," I replied, "it helps cut down on recoil and dampens muzzle jump."
Roy bent over his little .243 and looked down range as I watched the antics of the other two shooters two benches away.
Finding his target, Roy calmly says, "Fire in the hole." when the earthquake struck and the volcano erupted!
The muzzle blast literally flipped Roys brand spanking new "Gimme" cap off his head and ruffled his hair. Roy turned to me and I could see his left eye was having difficulty merging with the right for proper vision.
Skeeter ejected a half pound of spent brass and rammed another round down hole!
Finally catching my breath from the concussion, I was able to stand an say, "Gentlemen, can you give us just a minute before shooting again?"
"Shore!" came Skeeter's perplexed reply.
Roy's shell shocked face twitched slightly as he began roughly grabbing at what little equipment we had brought. Roy whimpered slightly as I got the vehicle moving. Another thunderclap set the pickup's rear window vibrating!
I do not want NOR shoot anything that requires a muzzle brake!
It ain't worth it!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from pcspecht wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

It seem that all the "anti's" decided to make a negative comment here. I know that the majority of you gentlemen, using he term loosely, are geographically impaired and game limited by living in the lower 48 where for some reason one is looked down upon if they happen to own let alone USE or even talk about a caliber bigger than 30.06 or a "WTF" muzzle break. I'm an Alaskan resident and hunter, also do a fair bit of long gunning in the Rockies from Colorado on north every year My favorite platforms for this high country, long distance type of hunting is my Tika T3's in .338 or .300 and on occasion my .300 4x4 Mossberg. All are ultra light rifles as I don't hunt from the back of a truck but pack in or on occasion horse in and weight is a high consideration. Average shots for me average around the 290 meter range, some longer, some shorter. I understand that hunting the high altitudes is a bit different than a farmers field or patch of woods were shots beyond 125 meters are rare and that you may feel superior because of the amount of game available to you. But, most of you at one time or another have thought about that Alaska or Canada, Montana or even African hunt of a lifetime. I know you have, I meet your friends and neighbors here in Alaska every year on their dream adventure. Well, don't bother to bring that .06 let alone your .270 you"ll need something with far better range, terminal energy, light weight, has the term "magnum" in its cartridge description and more than likely a muzzle break to domesticate this beast into the long range tool it was designed to be. Most of the Guides will try not to laugh out loud when you show up with your favorite, small caliber, local, home, white tail, deer rifle, but that's a hard thing for then to not do. Yup, MB's can be loud if your standing in the wrong place in relation to the muzzle when fired. Most breaks today have changed their geometry and design. Some have actually managed to NOT make the discharge report to the sides of the muzzle any louder than the rifle is when not breaked and still maintain or even increase the positive aspects of this device.
Personally, the benefits out weigh the negatives. Most who shoot a MB are very aware of the 270 degree muzzle arc of sound and back-blast and anyone who may be in it.
I would add that its damned unpleasant to be on a range where theres a shooter using a MB and not attempting to have any common curtesy for their fellow shooters around them when they discharge their firearm. My range built portable deflector boards for MB shooters that get placed on each side of the shooting table to deflect sound and muzzle back-blast on discharge so that its not nearly as disruptive to other shooters.
I have my share of the smaller caliber working rifles, .17HMR, 22LR, .222, .223, .22-250 for varmints .243. 6mm, .270 small Deer, Antelope. 7mm, 25-06, 30.06 8mm mid size deer, maybe Black Bear. But when it comes to finding the truly large and imposing of the North American game animals, like Elk, Moose, Brown Bear, Mule Deer, Musk Ox, Carabou, and Mountain Sheep its either the Short or Standard magnums either belted or full seat .300SM, .300WBM, .338 WBM, .338 Lapua and the .358 for the really dangerous, like Moose in rut and those pesky Alaskan Coastal Brown Bears (Brownies) that can reach 1300 to 1500 pounds. Believe me that you don't want your .06 or .270 if one decides it not liking you very much. You want to not piss it off more than it already is. Oh, many of my rifles have breaks on them, even the small calibers, really helps with the control, second shot target aquision, and follow on shot if needed.
So, before you start cutting on that which you don't have any real experience with other than a bad range day or the fact that all you have heard your whole life is "there's no reason on earth for anything bigger than an .06". I got news for you! Open your eyes, tone down that arrogant attitude and put you mind in gear before your mouth runs you into a wall.
Oh, and that muzzle break that is supposed to make a rifle louder?? If I were Guiding this season I'd look into having that LOUD MB on one of my bolt guns as bears don't like really loud noise and often when one charges some guy from the lower 48 on his dream hunt cause he didn't listen to he guides instructions and suggestions it may be turned away with just a shot or two over its head instead of having to kill it because of somebody else's stupidity. Mostly when Guiding for others I carry either my .444 Marlin or .458 Alaskan (depending on what's being hunted and location) and their loud enough by themselves. A Seal Bomb or two will do the trick too.
So, when you are finally able to make the journey to the western mountains or perhaps the Great White North you may wish to give your guides a call and find out what they suggest you bring and don't bother to bring. When you get where your going take a close look a what the guides an support staff are carrying in the field. You might have to adjust your thinking a bit.

-4 Good Comment? | | Report
from hengst wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

The minus one was from me..Not going to even take the time to explain why...Have fun great white hunter

from deadeyedick wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

Never did like some kind of gizmo on the end of my barrell, be it rifle or shotgun. If you can't take the recoil don't buy the gun. Perhaps I will have a rear end brake installed on my posterior regions and give those guys a blast of gas

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from John Buck 41 wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

Anyone (especially you, Alaska boy) even thinking about buying one of those needs their head examined.

from wisc14 wrote 34 weeks 5 days ago

this is the dumbest thing i have ever seen. must be for those folks who need loud trucks to make themselves appear tougher than they really are.

pcspecht: your calling us arrogant? maybe you should re-read your post

from nelsol wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

from ejunk wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

stupid. see also: truck nuts.

from Scott Jones wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

from MReeder wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

from hengst wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

This one beats the hell out of the theory of "silent and deadly"!

from Treestand wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

Its as Dumb as People buying $5.00 Coup of Coffee!

from Tim Platt wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

from schizuki wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

from chuckles wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

"Stupid is as stupid does."

from O Garcia wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

from 31Alpha wrote 35 weeks 4 days ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

And someone would actually hand over cash to get one of these? Wow.

from DSMbirddog wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

And someone would actually hand over cash to get one of these? Wow.

from NHshtr wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

from Zermoid wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

I saw that video a week or so ago, and thought it was a joke of some kind.

It's for real????

And they expect people to pay for that?

from Scott Jones wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

from hengst wrote 35 weeks 3 days ago

from hengst wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

from John Buck 41 wrote 35 weeks 1 day ago

from wisc14 wrote 34 weeks 5 days ago

pcspecht: your calling us arrogant? maybe you should re-read your post

from FirstBubba wrote 35 weeks 2 days ago

The barrel looked to be about 36" with a poop knot on the business end.
Roy asked me, "What's that on the end?"
Skeeter ejected a half pound of spent brass and rammed another round down hole!
"Shore!" came Skeeter's perplexed reply.
I do not want NOR shoot anything that requires a muzzle brake!
It ain't worth it!