How to Tie the Best Knot For Fluorocarbon

The Lateral Line

November 06, 2012

How to Tie the Best Knot For Fluorocarbon

By John Merwin

Flourocarbon lines have become hugely popular over the last few years for their low stretch and near-invisibility under water. But there also a few problems, the foremost being tying a good knot. Some of the traditional knots for nylon mono don’t work as well with fluoro.

The video shows bass pro Shaw Grigsby demonstrating what he calls the absolute best knot for fluorocarbon. He doesn’t give it a name. I’d call it a double-line Duncan loop. In any case, I used it over the summer in bass fishing and found it easy to tie and very reliable.

For a long time, I used a fluoro leader tied to various braided lines (with back-to-back uniknots). This year I pretty much switched to a full-fluoro line for all underwater lure applications. Because fluoro sinks so readily it doesn’t work well for topwaters, for which nylon mono is still a better choice.

Presumably some of you are also well into fluorocarbon lines by now. So I’d like to know what knots you prefer. Palomar? Improved clinch? Or something else...

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Good knot. I'll have to shy away from the palomar and give this a try.

from treelimit wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

That's great information. Timely, too, because if the election goes to a recount, I'd hate to be denied the sweet release of hanging myself when the uni-knot in my fluoro snaps.

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Whats your opinion on using an albright knot to join flouro and braid? Will it hold up?

from curmudge1 wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

How about Berkely Nanofill? Does it work for that line?

I have some, haven't yet used it, partly because I'm concerned about knots.

Dave

from chuckles wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

That looks like it will be worth a try. If it works with the heavier fluoro I will be stoked. I use 20lb fluoro leaders for bass fishing because you almost always could pick up a northern fishing in MN. The fluoro gives you a fighting chance to get your lure back.
I have been using a regular clinch knot since the improved clinch was tough to get right using the thick line. Seems to work pretty well. I use a double uni-knot for the fluoro to braid connection and that works but has to be checked and retied frequently.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Good knot. I'll have to shy away from the palomar and give this a try.

from treelimit wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

from curmudge1 wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

How about Berkely Nanofill? Does it work for that line?

I have some, haven't yet used it, partly because I'm concerned about knots.

Dave