Stuff That Works: Tecnu Oak and Ivy Skin Cleanser

FlyTalk

July 23, 2010

Stuff That Works: Tecnu Oak and Ivy Skin Cleanser

By Tim Romano

I took my first Tecnu bath of the season last night.  Yup, you heard me right - a Tecnu bath.

As we all know - fishing at times forces you to come in contact with poison oak and ivy. If you're like me, wet-wading small streams in the heat of summer is a must. With this wonderful right of summer comes some unpleasantries. Namely an itchy, oozing rash that lasts for weeks. I am almost guaranteed to get a nasty case of ivy at least once a summer simply by wet wading a few select streams near my house.

The past couple years I've been proactive though. I come home and immediately scrub down with a product called Tecnu and have had very little problems. I simply cannot survive the summer without this stuff now.

Tecnu skin cleanser from http://www.teclabsinc.com/medical.cfm --- tech labs home url" target="_blank">Tec Labs works by removing urshiol (oo-roo-she-all), the oil from oak and ivy that creates that nasty itchy rash before it starts. You must use the Tecnu 2-8 hours after contact and be very thorough in your application. You can use on tools, pets, clothing, fishing gear, etc… It works wonders though and if you've never used this stuff and have oak and ivy issues I highly recommend it. Keep a bottle in your boat, backpack or fishing vest and you'll be a lot happier after that 2-hour bushwhack to get to your favorite fishing hole. --TR

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

could of used this 2 weeks ago... lol

from DanCS wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

Another great product by Tecnu is Tecnu Extreme. Its great for when the rash has already set on your skin. I highly recommend it!

from jamesti wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

good to know. especially if you have kids.

from aadstowe wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

Now I have a nephew that has a skill of always finding chiggers, does this stuff work on chiggers cause I'm tired of always haveing to throw him in the deep end of the pool to get them off(yes he can swim and there is always someone in th water).

from MLH wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

I never heard of this stuff before - will be looking for it.

I never had problems with poison ivy so when a ball got caught up in a tree covered with it, I climbed up to get the ball - in shorts. Got it everywhere ... e-ve-ry-where. Now I get it all the time. This stuff sounds like redemption. Thanks!

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

I got poison ivy so much as I kid I no longer get it. I can swim in it and not get it anymore. The only exception is if I have a cut then a little will show up in the cut.

My wife picks it up off my clothes all the time. She let's me know to...

from countitandone wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

TR~

So, after wet wading small streams in the dog days of summer, you contact and carry poison ivy to your bathtub. Hmm, better watch out...you might be transporting invasive species.

Guess you'll trade in your "Tecnu" for "Snail-B-Gone!"

Thanks for the tip Tim. There's nothing I like about a nasty, itchy, oozing rash...GAWD!

from fflutterffly wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

I'm hypo-allergenic to Poison Oak, seeming never even having to touch the stuff. I've also found immediate application of a straight wash of alcohol on exposed skin the moment I arrive at the car does wonders. It's ritualistic: Upon arriving at door side the bottle of .99 alcohol is pulled from my pack, liberally applied to hands and arms, if need be. I wash my face with separate alcohol wipes, assured not to cross contaminate from the hands. It takes a little time but well worth the trouble. Clothing is more complicated. Now with this new product I just might be able to take less time deconing myself! Thanks.

from Cgull wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

I wonder if it works on okra sting and itch. Okra usaully wont bother me but for some reason when I cut my okra yesterday it burnt and itched like a jelly fish sting.

from steve182 wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

Like buckhunter stated, I really don't get poison ivy anymore, though i have many, many times as a kid. From what i hear from people who do...this product works.

from country road wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

Good to know of this relief from that nasty ivy. I was immune to it most of my life, but have become sensitive over the past few years. ---Not as bad as some people I know, but it's sure no fun.

from country road wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

Poison ivy makes me real careful where I sit during the latter part of spring turkey season. One morning I got too close to a gobbler before I realized it and had to sit down quickly and it wasn't until I was already situated that I realized that I was going to remember this particular hunt whether or not I killed the turkey. I didn't get a shot but I did get a rash and I wish I'd had this stuff to wash with.

from joaxe wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

Technu Extreme works good but what works better is Zanfel. Both are available at local drug stores but expect to pay $$$ for Zanfel. It's expensive, you only get a little amount but...it works.

The key is to apply these "washes" immediately after contact with poison ivy/oak to prevent the urushiol oil from changing the molecular structure of the skin cells. The "rash" is the skin's defense against the cell changes. The Zanfel tube can be tucked inside a fly vest no problem!

from Lazy Dazy wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

I have been using Tecnu for years, and it's great stuff. I lived on a beach in New York until last year, the dunes were covered with poison ivy. It's the perfect dune plant. The extensive root system stabilizes the dunes, it's highly salt resistant, and as a bonus it keeps people OFF the dunes better than an armed guard.
The down side was that the birds transplanted the seeds everywhere they roosted. I have gotten poison ivy from cleaning the dang gutters!.
I have not tried the extreme version of tecnu, the regular formula was kind of thin. it was like trying to wash with mineral spirits, and I always followed up with a good lathering of ivory, or borax soap if you can find it.
The sooner you can wash, the better off you will be. Step into the shower, and apply it to all affected, and suspect areas rubbing it well into the skin. Wait a few minutes, and then go back over those areas again, adding more tecnu if they seem dry. turn on the water, and wash yourself off, as usual. Never surrender!, even if the rash response has begun, the tecnu will wash away any excess urishiol, and prevent the rash from spreading.
Some people feel that the serum from open pustules may contain urishiol, others think that the oils simply seep back out, or are forced out of the skin by the body's defenses. either way, I have always used the tecnu daily for an active poison ivy rash, for at least a week, and I swear it makes a big difference.
Additional suggestions:
For the first three days, use a fresh towel for every shower, and change your sheets!!
Do not take a hot shower!! the heat opens your pores and allows the urishiols to penetrate.
Use an over the counter benadryl spray immediately after showering and let it dry before dressing. It really kills the itch better than anything else I've tried, and since it is topical, it won't make you drowsy. Reapply the benadryl as needed,especially before bed, and stand in front of a fan for drying large areas. It's transparent, unlike calamine lotion, and it also smells a bit like hazelnuts so not bad on all counts. Oh and it's also good for that lone mosquito that found the spot you missed with the repellent, and gave you a nice itchy welt to think about as you try to sleep!!
Over the counter hydrocortisone creams can help if you get a particularly nasty case, but if overused, they will over-dry the skin worsening the itch, and casing the skin to fissure. Try alternating the hydrocortisone with the benadryl, washing carefully in between, as residues from one will prevent the other from working effectively.
If you don't have tecnu, use regular soap, the old fashioned borax soap, that I mentioned earlier, even dish soap will help. work up a lather on the area, and let it stand until it nearly dries before scrubbing again and rinsing. Pat it dry, don't rub, and go get some tecnu, and benadryl spray!!
Sorry I got so wordy, but as an outdoorsman, who averaged 2-5 cases of poison ivy per year for 20+ years, I have tried everything. Luckily, I am not that sensitive to it, and yes I have had it in March, and December!...Best of luck with your next case!! Karl

from hi_tail wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

This stuff is great. Don't wait til you get home though. Keep a bottle in the rig and put it on asap. Then wash it off at home.

from Donkeylegjohnson wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I have used this and Ivy Dry with good results on both.

from Sinkingrocket wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

The Tecnu did nothing for me. Maybe because blisters had already formed. Nothing beats brake park cleaner or heavy duty degreaser. Spray on in shower and let soak for 4 or 5 minutes before washing or showering in cool water. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day. It will dry the blisters faster than anything else.

from caliigiirl19 wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

very cool product

from caliigiirl19 wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

but i hope i never have to use it =P

from caliigiirl19 wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

but i hope i never have to use it =P

from Hornd wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Have tried everything under the sun and if you have it bad enough that you can't get sleep, get an oral steroid or a shot works even faster. It "turns off" your bodies reaction to the Urshiol.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

good to know. especially if you have kids.

from joaxe wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

from hi_tail wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

could of used this 2 weeks ago... lol

from DanCS wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

from aadstowe wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

I never heard of this stuff before - will be looking for it.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

My wife picks it up off my clothes all the time. She let's me know to...

from countitandone wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

TR~

Guess you'll trade in your "Tecnu" for "Snail-B-Gone!"

from fflutterffly wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

from Cgull wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

from country road wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

from country road wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

from Lazy Dazy wrote 3 years 38 weeks ago

Additional suggestions:

from Donkeylegjohnson wrote 3 years 37 weeks ago

I have used this and Ivy Dry with good results on both.

from Sinkingrocket wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago