Chad Love: Killing My Cell Phone

Field Notes

July 15, 2009

Chad Love: Killing My Cell Phone

By Chad Love

Photo by Chad Love

I've always harbored irrational anger toward inanimate objects that irritate me. Back in the days of dial-up and modems, I once took a hammer to an old 28.8  that kept booting me offline. But there's nothing, absolutely nothing more annoying than a cell phone that doesn't work (except perhaps one that does) and this particular phone has made my life a living hell for the past two years. So I shot it.

from Big C wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I suppose that is one way to show your phone who is the boss! Let us know the result of when you get angry at your pc and you try to shoot through the monitor.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!

I freakin' love it!

Can ya hear me now ...

from micropterus wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Dude that's awesome, I dispatched an old phone with a .223 at 300yds one time. It does feel good.

But then the phone turned into a Decepticon and started shooting back. Stupid Transformers.

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I shot many a textbook at the end of a semester in college. My favorite to turn into confetti was genetics followed closely by plant biology.

from hnestle wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Back when I has in school, after a final presentation I would take my architectural model to the gun range and let out all my fustration. It usually took about a hundred hour to build one and only 30 second to destroy, with my tec 9 dc-9 and ab-10. One in each hand with 30 round clips. It was great.

from jjas wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Chad Love quote......It was irrational. It was juvenile. And it felt great. In addition to the cathartic experience of exacting a little revenge on something I despised, I also learned that a liquid crystal display isn't nearly as effective as bone at stopping a carbon arrow traveling at 280 fps or so.

But, I'll bet you already have another one (phone I mean) don't you?

Jim

from chadlove wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Jjas, unfortunately you're right...

from MLH wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I love it! But my favorite is still using an 8 pound maul. Was last used on a fax machine.

from shane wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Reminds me of "Office Space".

from seadog wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I really want to do that. I'd like to off the computer too but then I couldn't log on to F&S.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Every time my phone goes off on the boat or in the woods I feel like doing this except for one mistake I made I fell into the material world and got a quite expensive phone that really doesn't have as many options as I thought. another thing that bothers me is that the phones black and slim so I often lose it on the dashboard of a car.

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I saw my dad off an old vacuum cleaner via 10 rounds of .22 slugs from his High Standard. He was just a littel tired of fixing it- for the 10th time. I was always fond of home-made percussion devices myself. I will never forget the shrapnel we made out of an old clock radio that quit working!
I suppose that would make someone a domestic terrorist these days.

from jbird wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Nice shootin!

from GiantWhitetails wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

i made swiss chesse out of an old computer once and it felt great.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I love it... I do the same... whatever is pissing me off, get a pic of it and put it on the shooting bag and start shooting. It really helps releave stress.

from Bella wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I personally like to hunt the wild arborial television set. It is such a cool thing when the CRT tube implodes. I was shocked to see how durable the glass is! a load of #6 or #7 (I forget which it was) just bounced off! Slugs always work but the wildest was when I cast up a 26.5mm round cannonball and did one with my signal gun and black powder. It was a 4 ounce lead ball. We ran like bunnies once the fuse was lit in case the gun blew up, but the result was awesome! I wouln't repeat the experiment, I prefer shooting corncobs for ammo with that lil' piece of ordinance. They are free, 4 ounces of lead is not. Still planning another Scheutzenfest for August and I have a couple of portable tvs that are obsolete (since June and digital). I hadn't yet shot up a tv that was actually on yet, these are battery operated, we could even shoot em at night!
I reccommend dead cell phones be donated to the cell phones for soldiers program, (www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com).

from Sick STi wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I can honestly say I've done this.. I also spiked my Blackberry when it kept dropping calls on me.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

My sentiments exactly for AT&T and Cingular cell phone service!

I'm the type when I pull something out of the box, I want the darn thing to work as advertized, if not!

Ran across a fella who didn’t like his television so he placed Tannerite and blew the hell out of it!

Tannerite is the definition of BOOM!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

My sentiments exactly for AT&T and Cingular cell phone services!

I'm the type when I pull something out of the box, I want the darn thing to work as advertized and if not!

Ran across a fella who didn’t like his television so he placed Tannerite under it and blew the hell out of it!

Tannerite is the definition of BOOM!

from ggmack wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I did an old cell phone on the skeet range.
Me and a buddy took out an old dog house with 12 gauge slugs.
We had tried to pull it out with a truck but the corner 4x4 were set to well. 2 slugs a piece solved that issue.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I copy pictures of my ex-wife on a Small Target!
Great for relieving stress.

from Don Mitchell wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

awesome picture, now i know what to do with mine,I bet it wont drop any more calls.
Don

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Post like this are why we love you dude. We're stuck at the daily grind, you're livin' the life.
SBW

from MidnightBanjo wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I think its great that someone else does this too! Being a semi-computer nut, I've had more than my share of infernal machine induced rages! There just aren't words in the satisfaction of filling a computer with holes. Lately, however, life has seen fit to provide me with an entirely new line of targets - refrigerant jugs(empty of course)! The law says you must drill a hole in the jugs before disposal so they can not be reused. People used to make air tanks our of them - not a good idea because compressed air contains moisture and it rusts the jug from the inside out which can cause catastrophic failure under pressure. So as I thought about it one long afternoon, if I have to put a hole in the tank, why not put lots of holes in them, and the tanks are approximately the size of a whitetail’s vitals! Great fun, especially when you get them rolling for a moving target and great practice for that sometimes necessary follow-up shot. Using a bolt action 30-06, I can get it rolling on the first shot, and keep it rolling with each successive shot. It’s also amusing to see what the differences are between rounds (i.e. .22 vs. .50 BP).

from agentM192 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

win

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!

I freakin' love it!

Can ya hear me now ...

from chadlove wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Jjas, unfortunately you're right...

from Big C wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from micropterus wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

But, I'll bet you already have another one (phone I mean) don't you?

Jim

from Bella wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

My sentiments exactly for AT&T and Cingular cell phone service!

Tannerite is the definition of BOOM!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

My sentiments exactly for AT&T and Cingular cell phone services!

Tannerite is the definition of BOOM!

from hnestle wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Reminds me of "Office Space".

from seadog wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I suppose that would make someone a domestic terrorist these days.

from jbird wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

Nice shootin!

from GiantWhitetails wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

i made swiss chesse out of an old computer once and it felt great.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from Sick STi wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

from ggmack wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I did an old cell phone on the skeet range.
Me and a buddy took out an old dog house with 12 gauge slugs.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago

I copy pictures of my ex-wife on a Small Target!
Great for relieving stress.

from Don Mitchell wrote 4 years 40 weeks ago