Chad Love: Blogging for PETA

Field Notes

August 25, 2009

Chad Love: Blogging for PETA

By Chad Love

I've been blogging for Field & Stream for a year now, and to be honest it's grown a little stale for me. It's a lot of work to come up with a topic, a news item or a link every day and then figure out some way to make it relevant, thought-provoking or funny for the F&S readership.

You may not think so, but blogs are damn hard things to write and they often fail miserably. Sometimes the only reaction they get from you, the reader, is the sound of your mouse clicking to some other page. Other times you respond only to point out what an idiot you think I am. And you usually manage to misspell idiot in the process. More often than I care to admit I simply can't think of anything witty and I have to resort to that great suckhole of intelligence, Youtube. And let's face it, if you've seen one Youtube clip of some ignorant jack*ss and you've pretty much seen them all.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of thinking, and I want a job that doesn't require it. And I think I've found one ...

From the want ad on the PETA website:
Position: PETA Blog Writer
Position Objective: To write content for PETA's blog
The PETA Files
Term of Employment: Full-time
Primary Responsibilities and Duties: Analyze and interpret public events and provide commentary via PETA's blog
The PETA Files Write witty and unique blogs on topics ranging from PETA's naked demonstrations to regulatory testing on animals, dogfighting, and celebrities who support the cruel fur industry. Brainstorm daily content for PETA's blog with a small team. Monitor trends in blogs and assist with the implementation of new strategies for PETA's blog. Create and maintain relationships with other bloggers and pitch relevant content about PETA to them. Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor

So long, folks. It was fun while it lasted. I've always wanted to know what color the sky was in their world, and now I'm finally going to get my chance.

from senkoman12 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

how do you go from feild and stream to peta is my question

from senkoman12 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

how do you go from feild and stream to peta is my question

from s-kfry wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Chad,

Pithy, funny (really), and relevent. You are not an iddoitt!

from John L wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

"Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor"
oh, I'd check this out carefully. A supervisor at PETA could be an incredible individual (not a compliment).

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

senkoman,

The fact that I have to point this out bring Chad's "misspelling Idiot" quote to mind...

But, that post was a little thing that evil, big city, educated, elitist, liberals call "sarcasm"

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Ideot? Naw, yur smart enuf fer this grup!

This is really, funny. No Really. What damage you could do if you infiltrated the dark side! I think you would have to lie about your resume and change your name. I reas your blogs even when they flop... the truth is: not many could do a lot better, that's why they hired you :)

Keep em' coming...

from MB915 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Chad,

Sure hope you do fill out an application for that job. Not because I want to see you leave F&S, but for the amusement factor. I am positive you would not get a call back, but I can only imagine what the interview would be like.

Actually everyone from this site should apply just to make them sort through 100's of additional applications. Maybe one of us would actually get picked. I am pretty sure any of us who somehow wound up getting picked would be fired immediately following the first blog.

I can see it now, and it is hilarious.

from MLH wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

An outdoor industry insider infiltrating the ranks of PETA. Now wouldn't that be something. They are silly enough to actually fall for it. You could be an operative of the outdoorsmen's version of the CIA.

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Are you ready to be a vegan?

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Can I have your guns?

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

How 'bout your fishin' gear?

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I didn't do very good last season, what about your freezer contents?

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Oh, and good luck.

from seadog wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I went through their list of job qualifications and I was doing pretty good until I got to that vegetarian thing--crap, I don't think they'll hire me. It was all downhill from there--can't commit to the PETA philosophy or lifestyle or ... whatever. Good luck Chad--but I think the PETA people are going to think you're an eedyott.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Went there and applided fer that jab. Sorry,guy they is gonna hir me and not u, caus I gots clats and luvs animules. who u calin and idjet?

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Hey, Alicia Silverstone looks good enough to make the Gun Nut blog. Not enough view in the video, though.

from Greenhead wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Did you make a bet that you could get more responses than DEP?

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Good luck Chad. Once you enter the PETA fold you'll be enlightened to the ways of the world like never before. I say in two weeks you'll be sitting at your laptop naked throwing your feces at pictures of DEP.

from teufelhunden wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

For some reason I am not surprised.

from Douglas wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I would like to apply to peta for that position. I am not truly a vegetarian, but I do only eat animals that are vegetarians.

from Richard G. wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Chad,

Yes you have run out of stuff to say. Goodbye.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Chad, it is said one needs to broaden their horizons and it’s a mighty big world out there. If PETA trips your trigger, go for it! But I can think of a lot of things you can do. I don’t think you’re a snidiot at all, just someone who doesn’t have lost the burning desire to see what’s over the next ridge.

“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead to where there is no path and leave a trail.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

“The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.”
-Alan Ashley-Pitt

The reason why the grass is green on the other side of the fence? That is where the septic tank is at!

You cover other topics others have done Sir Chad, I say go make your own things happen!

Chad get real!

You need to find a group of Crusty Ol’NCO’s driving M38’s to hang around with instead of those sipping on Star Bucks and Kopi Luwak with their Hummers parked at the Hilton Inn during deer season!

Chad get real!

from rjw wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

The only difference in the job you say you are leaving and the job you are going to is you must be a vegetarian. Do you think you will get a better response from your new group of readers? If that is what you are looking for! Or maybe the bling factor is better with PETA! It is easier when some one hands you a list to choose from, as opposed to creating your own, thinking is over rated and better left to others.
Either way the best of luck on your choice, and remember if you choose to leave, your replacement will be in your seat before it gets cold, that's the way it is. Thanks for the blogs!!!!!!!!!!

On the flip side

If associating with a group who goes into Animal Shelters to take animals and to do unquestionably illegal and unethical wrong doings to try to cause damage to the reputation to others along with other terroristic actions they do and running around butt naked thrills you, then you are in the wrong place

Please Chad; tell me that I am wrong!

If not, I’ll be looking for your mug shot looking stupid in jail!

rjw and gang

Your dead wrong about leaving and the job you are going to is you must be a vegetarian.

In fine print on the add it actually says said,

NO INTELIGENCE IS PERMITTED!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Hunting and Fishing season getting ready to crank up and all those new and neat products out there and you don’t have anything to right?

I’ll take your job and you can have PETA!

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Chad-
Heck man,jump in with one foot,and apply for the job!
Be a spy for America's first and greatest sports;huntin' and fishin',in the field and streams of the USA.
You could be "the" person that could obtain confidential information about their activities, plans, and methods of operation.

That way we,America's sportsmen, can stay at least a half a step of PETA and their philosophy of half truths and misguided principles and conduct.

Of course you would have to change your name.

How about, "Chad Saboteur",the tofu eatin'spy who came in from the fields and streams of America,to protect her natural resources,in disguise? Of course camouflage would probably take on new meaning as a PETA blogger.
It would be to your detriment to now come to work naked,and prepare for the demostrations.
You could take on the code name ...Blog Breath!

Pass the peas,please.

This is just one mans opinion!

We love you Chad ... right where you are!

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Chad,

Stop boring us with this useless pap and get back to doing what you do best. You are likely never going to be better than a backup to Petzal but that's OK. We all can't be the "Babe Ruth" of bloggers. BTW where the heck is Petzal? Dave, Dave, you out there some where? Startin' to have withdrawal pains here.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

He's joking right?

from rjw wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Clay Cooper
That fine print will get you every time.
Must be a heck of a shake up over Chad at F&S today, no new blogs posted today? (As of 12:15 P.M.)
There is more here than meets the eye!

from jmargadant wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

A guy could probably get used to the vegetarian bit, but having to meet daily with PETA's "small team" -- that's a deal killer.

from BlackWater wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I hope your first "witty" blog will be on a michael moore naked protest or something along that line.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Moishe-
I hope he was joking, I took it as a joke, unlike a few here, but with no new posts, ???
Who knows in these crazy times?

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Don't let the cyber screen door hit ya'......

from jjas wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Chad,

Hope you enjoy your stay @ PETA. Maybe their supporters can spell idiot. Unlike us......

from logan.vandermay wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I hope he is joking, but wouldn't surprise me if it were true. Some of his blogs and veiws appear liberal to me.

from Greenhead wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

My own Modest Proposal:

Before getting this job, you are going to have quite a lot of trouble explaining to Ms. Newkirk why F&S appears on your resume. In addition to the standard "error of my ways" explaination, you might consider doing something to really show a commitment to the cause. You could always free some lab animals or launch a cyber attack on a burger joint, but those may be going too far for PETA's image.

In order to really show that you fit in there, I suggest your own nude ad. As we all know, PETA's nude campaign is quite prelevant and they are clearly proud of it. You should join in while it is hot. The downside, obviously, is that most of your regular readers wouldn't even recognize you if put an ad on TV. As a result PETA is not likey to support you in your endeavor. I propose doing the first ever LIVE nude advertisement for PETA to prove your commitment. Your target is not terribly important, but must be near a major media center to ensure coverage. It would probably help if it were at least tangentially related to animals. Regardless, all you will have to do is strip it bare and pontificate with a blowhorn in front of the offending establishment. It will require no sanctioning or funding from PETA, (or money out of your pocket) but will surely establish your animal rights street cred. Pick a warm climate.

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

MB915 is on to something - your rejection ;letter is bound to be a classic!
Del in KS - Good to see that irony isn't just available on import, there is a homegrown variety fro KS.

SBW

from chadlove wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Well, I'm back. My new job with PETA lasted about as long as it took to walk through the front door... literally.

I thought I did everything right: I made sure I wore my pleather belt, shoes and man-purse, my silk-free tie, my shade-grown raw-spun organic cotton dress shirt harvested by the indigenous peoples vegan collective, my non-dyed hemp-fiber dress slacks and a stylish pair of vinyl Ho Chi Minh sandals.

I had even memorized an entire litany of animal rights slogans and correct non human-centric animal-friendly responses to any questions they might throw my way (I'd been practicing with flash cards).

But what I didn't count on was the "meatel detector" they had installed at the entrance.

Yep, it's exactly what it sounds like. Apparently this device, the meatel detector, analyzes your body chemistry as you pass through it. Any traces of meat you've consumed in the past week or so is detected and an alarm sounded.

You can guess what happened next: That thing lit up like a Christmas tree when I walked through it and I was instantly surrounded by some kind of quick-reaction PETA security force.
I'm a pretty good-sized guy and I tried to fight them off, but it was no use.
Even though they only weighed about 42 pounds apiece you can only block so many girl-slaps and the sheer numbers of those skinny little protein-deprived dudes overwhelmed me.

I was forcibly ejected from the premises, my cool new job terminated.

So here I am, crawling back to you guys. Maybe it's not so bad, after all...

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

chad what part of the country you live in, perhaps we need to hook up. Next year it looks for certain I’m going to New Mexico for a Spring Turkey Hunt with my Grandson Alex and for fall deer hunt. May make another run out for a coyote hunt or find a hot population in Kansas or Missouri. That’ll crank up your thoughts!!

As for that metal detector going off, it was detecting lead traces in those Elk stakes you had!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I forgot to tell you, there is a testosterone detection device located at the entrance of PETA!

By the way Young Man,

WELCOME BACK CHAD!

Crack me up this younger generation!

And I hope you didn’t chew any of the vegetation on the other side which is impregnated by the contents of the septic tank!

That reminds me; several years ago if I remember right it was Green Peace who infiltrated a Nuclear Test Sight during testing.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Last Mofo I saw with Ho Chi Minh sandals on got shot right out of 'em! LOL

from S. Webber wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Okay you know what PETA stands for?
People Eating Tasty Animals!

from dylanh wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

people for the ethical treatment of animals? thats funny, dont they know that without sportsmen (conservitive and liberal alike) most animals would be holding on to tiny pockets of habbitat between wind farms and soybean fields? some people just dont get it.

from GiantWhitetails wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

take em down from the inside!

from fishandgametim wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

Hey Chad. I was rooting for ya bro'. I thought the idea was brilliant! You'd never have to scout again. You could insist that they get naked and bring the game to you. I'm sure you could convince the perky blonde with brown roots who hikes in $200 designer jeans that being a vegetarian means that you help sick animals. Problem is, you just ain't a good one. All of yours end up dead and eaten.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Yes, we finally sent a double agent into the headquarters of those tryin' to end the 2 greatest sports ever!I mean, chad, if it's PETA, you're up to something,if you were really bored you'd try facebook.Oh, can I have your fishing gear...

from coho310 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Don't be an ideeut,tear them down!!!!

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

I realize how hard it is to come up with a topic everyday and make it interesting for the reader to read and also comment... my hat goes off to you.

from skykomishsteelheader wrote 4 years 11 weeks ago

good luck! Once PETA finds out where you have worked bofore, then they will fire you and then where will you go huh?

from chadlove wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I'm a pretty good-sized guy and I tried to fight them off, but it was no use.

I was forcibly ejected from the premises, my cool new job terminated.

So here I am, crawling back to you guys. Maybe it's not so bad, after all...

from s-kfry wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Chad,

Pithy, funny (really), and relevent. You are not an iddoitt!

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Can I have your guns?

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

How 'bout your fishin' gear?

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Ideot? Naw, yur smart enuf fer this grup!

Keep em' coming...

from MLH wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I’ll take your job and you can have PETA!

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Chad-
Heck man,jump in with one foot,and apply for the job!

Of course you would have to change your name.

You could take on the code name ...Blog Breath!

Pass the peas,please.

This is just one mans opinion!

We love you Chad ... right where you are!

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Chad,

from senkoman12 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

how do you go from feild and stream to peta is my question

from MB915 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Chad,

I can see it now, and it is hilarious.

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

I didn't do very good last season, what about your freezer contents?

from Douglas wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

-Alan Ashley-Pitt

Chad get real!

from senkoman12 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

how do you go from feild and stream to peta is my question

from John L wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

"Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor"

from ken.mcloud wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

senkoman,

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Are you ready to be a vegan?

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Oh, and good luck.

from seadog wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from Greenhead wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Did you make a bet that you could get more responses than DEP?

from teufelhunden wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

For some reason I am not surprised.

from Richard G. wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Chad,

Yes you have run out of stuff to say. Goodbye.

Chad get real!

from rjw wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

On the flip side

Please Chad; tell me that I am wrong!

If not, I’ll be looking for your mug shot looking stupid in jail!

rjw and gang

In fine print on the add it actually says said,

NO INTELIGENCE IS PERMITTED!

from BlackWater wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Moishe-
Who knows in these crazy times?

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

He's joking right?

from rjw wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Clay Cooper
That fine print will get you every time.
There is more here than meets the eye!

from jmargadant wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Don't let the cyber screen door hit ya'......

from jjas wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Chad,

from logan.vandermay wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from Greenhead wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

My own Modest Proposal:

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

MB915 is on to something - your rejection ;letter is bound to be a classic!

SBW

By the way Young Man,

WELCOME BACK CHAD!

Crack me up this younger generation!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Last Mofo I saw with Ho Chi Minh sandals on got shot right out of 'em! LOL

from S. Webber wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

Okay you know what PETA stands for?
People Eating Tasty Animals!

from dylanh wrote 4 years 34 weeks ago

from GiantWhitetails wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

take em down from the inside!

from fishandgametim wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

from coho310 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from coho310 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Don't be an ideeut,tear them down!!!!

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago