Chad Love: Fake Survival Shows

Field Notes

August 27, 2009

Chad Love: Fake Survival Shows

By Chad Love

Telegenic, rock-jawed survival studs are all the rage on television. Bear Grylls  and Les Stroud are the most prominent. (Of the two it seems most F&S readers prefer Les to  Bear citing the fact that Les seems more genuine and doesn't make the rest of us feel fat and inadequate when he takes off his clothes.)

However, judging by your comments, many of you dislike survival shows altogether. While they can be ridiculous, I think anything that gets kids off their butts and interested in the outdoors can't be all bad.

But  whatever your opinion, I think we can all agree the time is ripe for  some witty smarta**s to lampoon the survival show genre. Take, for example, the video below, starring one of the Vice magazine founders, Gavin McInnes. This spoof was shot for Teva.

It's a damn  funny send-up of nature shows, but it gets even funnier, in a  life-imitates-art way, when you read this

From the  story:

I have written in the past about the  various fake "wild man in the wilderness" shows, from National Geographic's phony 'Wolf Man' stunt to the contrived toxicity of the poisonous  snakes routinely handled by Steve Irwin, to the absolutely ridiculous fakery of Bear Grylls whose advice will almost always kill or maim you in short order. The latest bit of idiocy comes from Channel 4 in the  U.K., which sent  "adventurer" Ed Wardle into the Canadian  wilderness armed with a rifle, a  fishing rod, and a well-stocked pack. Seven weeks later, he had to be  airlifted out of the woods  because he was starving.

So here's my question: who would you rather be trapped with in the wilderness? Fake Teva Guy survival expert or real (fake) TV guy survival expert? Give me your reasons why or  why  not...

from Hunt_Hard wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

hahaha
I love it! Thats some funny stuff, the real funny part is that Bear Grylls does stupid crap like that in almost every episode.

from eackerlund wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

OMFG! That is priceless!

And yes, most of the "survivor man" guys are just morons. Bear Grylls is the worst of them. Les Stroud is more realistic, but he still really has very little ability.

For the record, I would not want to be out there with any of them. However, if I did find myself stranded in the wilderness with Bear Grylls, I would just save him the pain of starvation or a miserable death by stupidity and shoot him and take his gear and use it properly.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from makikal000 wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

give me a break i was lost for two months and used alot of what ive seen on them shows to help me survive i used a lean to fort and used the staar fire log techneuce which i learned from bear grylls i survived on squirrels and wild rasberries with the ocassional fish or rat

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

The video was hilarious. You would be better off in the woods with the latest 'American Idol' winner than you would some of these survival idiots. Les Stroud is probably the least offensive. I'd rather be alone.

P.S. Someone please airdrop a Boy Scout manual and a box of MRE's to the next one of these reality survivor geniuses before the next commercial break.

from MLH wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

At least with the Teva Guy, I'd die laughing.

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

To me both suck, I am so over survival shows and competition shows, but that is due to two things,( in my limited opinion) the very short attention span of viewers and the "cheap show for ratings" producers in TV land. The people in this world know what it takes to make quality product, like in any other business, but why do so when you can getaway with making crap on a dime?

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

I think I would probably be better off trapped in the wilderness with Jeff Probst.He gets stranded on mostly exotic beaches!
How hard can that be?

Then when you're found,and you're the last man standing,they give you a $1,000,000.

He seems to know where all of the food and survivor tools are.
Heck ...when he finds the food,it's already cooked!

from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

I don't get it. All you guys/girls are dumping on Les and Bear when I don't see you out there "educating" the public let alone describing what it is they actually do wrong. The shows are created for entertainment and to show "basic" survival, all inside of an hour. Anyone who thinks they can survive "alone in the wild" for a week or more after watching a few episodes of Bear Grylls (sp?) is an idiot but at least they may survive a day or two drawing on him as an inspiration and keeping busy trying to make his "tactics" work. If you're looking for survival nuance, read an effin book.

As for Chad's question, I'd pick Bear for the reason that he's seems like the most amiable and you could probably have a nice conversation with him while waiting for the rescue crew to arrive.

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

2Poppa, I just about feel outta my chair laughing. I agree gimme a survivor babe and I'll be just fine.

from seadog wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Funny video. To answer the question, I would choose Bear Grylls to be with in the wilderness. Why? You could just get the hotel key from the camera crew, go take a shower & order up room service.

from Kim wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Les Stroud is the real deal and shoots his own film. Bear Grylls is with a camera crew eat steaks and staying in Holiday Inns when the camera is off.

from mjscimeca wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

There has been a ton of backlash directed towards Bear Grylls recently. I don't really get the hate. I don't know about anyone else, but I only tune in to watch him eat giant grubs and cut open bloated corpses. Its like outdoor fear factor, and its a lot of fun to watch. Its not a survival course.

Les Stroud is somewhat amusing as well, mostly because virtually everything he does fails. Its pretty realistic in that way. However, watching Stroud fail to find a single thing to eat over a 3 day period is nowhere near as entertaining as listening to Bear describe the taste of live scorpion.

from seadog wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

I don't remember which show it was but they dropped one of these guys in the everglades. There were several points in the show where I just laughed & said this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. He came up on a canal (manmade--most of them were dug by the Army Corp of Engineers) And he told the audience how important it was for him to cross this "river" to reach civilization. If he had just followed the canal, he would have come up on a road, lock, or some other water control devise much quicker.
I think these shows are better entertainment than a lot of the other crap on TV and both these guys come up with a good survival tip once in a while, but even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while.

from shane wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Sure the shows are a bit bogus, but I don't see any of you trash talkers out there surviving with no more than a knife and what you're wearing.

Dragging Irwin into this isn't exactly fair. The taipan really is an extremely venomous snake, a serpent that I doubt y'all have the balls to handle. For that matter, try wrestling a 9 foot croc.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Bear Grylls. Why? He'll be followed close behind by a team of camera men, make up artist, gourmet chefs, safety experts, doctors...

from jbird wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

I enjoy watching Bear Grylls, and I've seen him do some pretty ballsy stuff to demonstrate survival skills. So I wouldn't mind being stranded w/him, plus, he was pretty funny when he had Will Farrell on Survivorman w/him. I'm no survival expert, but I think for the most part he knows his stuff. The spoof video was hilarious. You gotta remember, that these shows are for entertainment, in a real, harsh, survival situation, you don't have the time or energy to worry about camera shots, but to make a good tv show, you do have to worry about those things.

from outdoorcop wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

I would just be thankful just to have another person along who could help. If I had to choose Les Stroud would be my first choice because he doesn't get too depressed when something doesn't work as planned (and he is the one who tried it, not him and a camera crew). A person who can maintain a positive attitude in desperate times will be much easier to survive with.

from Judd McCullum wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Bear was in the SAS and broke damn near every bone in his body when his chute wouldn't deploy. He recovered from a broken back, and now he's a world renowned motivational speaker. Despite the fact that his show is crap, the guy knows his stuff. If he were equipped and briefed on the type of environment he'd be entering as he'd been trained he could probably survive a good long while. Les' show is good, but the reason he only finds one thing to eat in a three day period is because he's worried about where his second and third cameras are pointing and whether or not the tripods are level. Bear has producers and sh*t for that.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

I would like to be in the wilderness with les stroud he's so down to earth and would make sureto take every precaution possible to keep you safe. It also helps that he did an episode where he was a hunter somewhere in a forest. I think that was the easiest episode for him seeing as all he had to do for food was whack a couple critters and start a fire like it's nothing.

from nanaac00 wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

There is deff. worse t.v. shows out there, Fake or Not they keep my attention. Les Stroud is the real deal, however I do sometimes worry that some kid out there is going to get hurt by trying to jump down waterfalls in subzero temps. or become dehydrated due to attempting to run down and tackle a carribu, just because they saw MR. TV STUNTMAN BEAR GRILLS do it.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

I don't watch hunting-fishing-camping shows. Watching that sort of stuff makes televised golf seem exciting.

from nanaac00 wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

And I would have to agree, not only does it probably get kids off the couch, but I have to admit that I have tried several of Les's shelters, traps and fire starting methods myself......But I wasnt sold until I found out a little more about Stroud's background in canada.

from seadog wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Hey Mike D, televised golf is the best cure for insomnia known to man.

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Don't know how I missed this post, since it is sort of down my alley. During my journeys around the world, I have been in a few crummy situations, like life or death sort of. If being stranded, being held hostage or plane wrecked count.

I'll settle for my knowledge and a tall willowy blonde as company. Hopefully, answering the question.

About 40 years ago I had a harrowing adventure in Alaska which ended up with getting back to the closest telephone twenty days after I was supposed to be home. I said "honey I am alive "! After making sure I was her husband, she indicated she had not worried, thought as usual I was still looking for an animal I had not found.

from eackerlund wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Damn guys! Take a joke! (see my previous post to read it)

But really...

Bear Grylls is probably the biggest imbecile I have ever heard of. In one of his episodes, instead of going around a waterfall on his way down a creekbottom, he climbed down the 45 foot cascade. Then, when he got to the bottom, he climbed THROUGH a crevasse in the glacier before him, rather than walking around it.

And some people are stupid enough to that "survivor skills" ?????? WTF?!?!?!

More like the outdoor Evl Knevl on TV!

Must admit that Stroud is much more realistic--in that most of his attempts at anything fail, and he has a hard time getting out without losing 25 pounds, and because he goes in alone, does his own filming, and comes out alone--but seriously...he should be able to do a little better on the foraging and sheltering.

from eackerlund wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

@ Makikalooo

You say you were lost for 2 months?

Where on God's green Earth could you possibly have been so lost for 2 whole months that you could not have walked in one direction until you got to civilization?

Well, you obviously know how to feed yourself, and to make fire and shelter or you wouldn't be on this blog, but I think your navigational skills would need some work before you ventured more than a stone's throw from your back porch again...

from MLH wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Happy - I hope those are stories you share with us sometime.

from kbkayakin wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

The video was funny as hell. As far a being stranded, with any of those guys. FORGET it. If you had half a brain, you WOULDN'T get LOST in the first place. But as an Eagle Scout, I may have a slight advantage, on the aveverage guy. COMMON SENCE goes a long way!

from deanlikes2fish wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

Can i get stranded with the swedish bikini team and a couple of kegs, and a crate of steaks? That wouls be an awesome show!!!

from fishinandhuntin wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

There are a lot more than just Les or Bear. There is the "Wildman" who, in Florida, grabs 6 foot long Gators and Water Moccasins. Then there's the guy the abandoned in Canada for what two months and he just about died!! Even some of the hunting and fishing shows are trying to get in on the "Survival" stuff!! Being a former Marine who was in combat and who used to know the Marine Survival manual really well and now has forgotten most of it, still knows more than those two guys... BUT, for people who have no clue about survival at all, Les Stroud is the guy to watch! He is more of the common "lost" person and does what most of us would do and/or try. Now Bear, he is a bit more on the extreme side of survival, which is cool for the people who have his energy level but not for the rest of us "common" folk! Though, either one of the shows are v entertaining and somewhat educational if not down right funny! Hey, the fact is these guys are getting PAID enough money to not really give a damn about what we think and that's the bottom line... Cause Stone Cold said so...LMAO!!

from GiantWhitetails wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

i like bear. i know he aint acually stranded but thats not the point. i idea of the show is to educate people of survival techniques, and its fun to watch him bite critters head off

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I would go with Bear... i mean yeh it is fake but the guy has to actually know a little about something with all the shows he has done. I would not be laughing as much but I might just survive...might.

from TheNaturist wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

Hey Guys, The Naturist here. Sorry I’ve been MIA. I tried to hibernate back in September ’09 by self-prescribing anesthesia. I just woke up. Anyways, I’m back to drop some natural knowledge on you. Check out my old videos to prime your pumps…new ones are on the way.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

How hard can that be?

He seems to know where all of the food and survivor tools are.
Heck ...when he finds the food,it's already cooked!

from Hunt_Hard wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

hahaha

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

At least with the Teva Guy, I'd die laughing.

from bluecollarkid wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from Kim wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Hey Mike D, televised golf is the best cure for insomnia known to man.

from seadog wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from mjscimeca wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from Judd McCullum wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from Happy Myles wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from eackerlund wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Damn guys! Take a joke! (see my previous post to read it)

But really...

And some people are stupid enough to that "survivor skills" ?????? WTF?!?!?!

More like the outdoor Evl Knevl on TV!

from eackerlund wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

@ Makikalooo

You say you were lost for 2 months?

from fishinandhuntin wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from outdoorcop wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from nanaac00 wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 33 weeks ago

Happy - I hope those are stories you share with us sometime.

from kbkayakin wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago