Bourjaily: Youth Deer Season Done Right

The Gun Nuts

September 21, 2009

Bourjaily: Youth Deer Season Done Right

By Phil Bourjaily

Hunting season started exactly the right way for me this year. I tagged along with my son John and my friend Mike (pictured below) for an evening hunt on opening day of our youth deer season. Mike had graciously invited John to sit in his bowstand and take first crack at his best spot.

I realize many hunters dislike Iowa for its $500 non-resident tags, and I don’t blame them in the least, but we do have a great youth deer season that more states should copy.  Rather than make our kids hunt in the cold, crazy December gun season, the state opens youth season opens before any other deer seasons begins. Youth hunters are the first ones in the field and their season runs for 16 days. If they don’t fill their tag, it’s good in any of our other gun seasons. The weather is pleasant and overall success rates run very high – about 50%. Since he started at age 12 (he’s now 15), John has hunted a total of five days and shot three deer, including one big enough to cost me the price of a skull mount. Not surprisingly, he loves deer hunting. Seasons like this one are a great way to recruit new hunters and every state should have one.

If you were wondering, the gun in the picture is a 20 gauge NEF/H&R Ultra Slug. It is one of the great firearms bargains of any kind: it lists for $307 with a laminated stock, and a mere $249 with plain hardwood. It shoots as well or better than guns costing many times more and the heavy barrel helps keep slug recoil manageable. Sighting this one in for John’s hunt, I put five Remington AccuTips into 2 ½ inches at 100 yards.

One AccuTip was enough for this buck. The slug went in one side, out the other, and destroyed both lungs on the way through. AccuTips are impressive slugs and as expensive (12.99/five) as the Ultra Slug is cheap.

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Good topic, and I couldn't agree more. South Dakota has a fantastic youth season as well and it is a great way to get youth out in the field for big game. There's nothing more important for hunting and the outdoors than getting youth involved early. I am infinitely greatful to my father for always including me in his hunting and fishing trips and I will most definitely include my children.

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I wish more states would take a look at the youth season. That's a good way to generate interest and get youngsters started. Heck, it's a good way to get oldsters excited about getting youngsters involved. GA DNR, are you seeing this?

from RichardF wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I remember when they first developed the youth season in Iowa, I was 13. That was 16 years ago, last night I got pictures of a nice doe that was killed by my little cousin he had the biggest grin on his face. What an experiance I am sure that he will remember his the same as I did.

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Michigan also has an early youth season (Sept 26-27) as well as an early private land firearms season (Sept 17-21). I have seen a few young hunters start this way. Higher probability of success, especially on farm lands, helps get and keep them interested. I went to a hunters education course this weekend - awed at the number of 10-12 year olds (and their supportive parents) in the class. (They do need to be 12 to hunt deer with a firearm.)

from Bernie wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Many hunting districts in Montana have special elk permits available to youths, in addition to those permits issued in the general drawing, and it seems to draw a lot of interest from young hunters.

The state's special early pheasant hunt has not been as successful, however. For a couple years running an early pheasant season opener for youths at Bowdoin National Wildlife Refuge had ZERO participants!

from steve182 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Kudos to Iowa for recognizing the future of our sport, and catering to them. Nice job John on that buck and Mike for being a good friend and host.

from jjas wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Indiana has a youth season as well, but it's doe only. I wish they'd change that.

I agree about the USH. It's one of the great bargains in firearms.

Congrats to your son.

from Tony C. wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I love Iowa. I hunted there twice (99 and 2000 if memory serves). It was before the tags got so crazy high. I think we paid $165 for nonresident deer tags.

I saw so much game on both trips -- deer, pheasants, turkeys, waterfowl, fox squirrels. It is truly a game rich state.

We didn't kill "the Beast" that we went for, but I saw a 160-inch 8-pointer on my bowhunt and a B&C whose side profile looked like a picket fence on my muzzleloader hunt the next year. I actually popped at him, but he was running at 250 yards and it's one of those sad stories.

We stayed at a little Bed & Breakfast (the Weaver House) and the lady who ran it treated us like kin.

I might not have got the big buck I went for, but the entire experience of hunting Iowa is nothing but one big happy memory for me.

from shane wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I'm a big fan of the H&R slug guns, expecially for young hunters. The single shot, simplicity, and confidence inspiring accuracy is great, but the lighter weight isn't always the best. Even though the model pictured, as well as several newer models are pretty heavy, my perception will always be light weight -

I have often used the H&R/NEF Tracker slug gun - the one with a standard weight rifled slug barrel, simple blocky open sights, and only about 5.5 lbs. of mass.

I would recommend using full-bore slugs with any of these guns, they shoot tremendously with the shallow angled Ultragon rifling.

from HogBlog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Just wanted to add another backslap for the young hunter! Five outings for three deer... can't beat that!

Keep at it!

Oh, and I love those NEF single-shots too! Great company, and excellent bargain!

from Quiet Loner wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I'm glad the adult didn't pitch a hissy fit because John shot a one and a half year old buck. Congratulations to all involved.

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Congrats to John. Young hunters need more people like your friend, Mike. Great that you share the hunts with your son and provide him with some lifetime memories. Those first wall hangers seem part of the process.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Youth Hunt Articles are far over due!
I remember 2008 Alex at age 8 shot his first Doe with one shot at 75 yards with my Remington 700 CDL topped with a 3x9x40 Sightron Scope cradled in a Ramline Youth Stock and Hornady 117 Grain Soft Point Boat Tail 54 grains IMR4831. At age 9 last season same rifle setup and load shot a nice little 5 pointer at 200yards and moments later a doe at 100 yards both perfect with one shot. What was it, 2 months ago age 10 I put him thru a Hunter Safety Coarse and he smoked the test and really impressed the Instructors both conduct and knowledge. This Young Man is the one to keep your eyes on, watches the Outdoor Chanel and VS.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Iowa $500 non-resident tags, damn proud of them tags. Loss of revenue for Iowa's Businesses, so I'll just keep hunting here in Arkansas where talking to God still doesn't cost you anything, it's a local call!!

from Hunt_Hard wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

A youth season is a great addition to any states hunting seasons. I would really like to see this in Montana.

from hunt3r wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

i'm glad to see the kids out hunting and having fun doing it! congrats on the deer!
p.s. that's some impressive shooting with a shotgun, i'm impressed!

from elmer f. wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

THE GRIN ON HIS FACE SAYS IT ALL! Good shootin John! you are right dave, all states should have a program like Iowa's. my son is now 8, and he has 4 more years before he can hunt. but i promised him that this year, he could come out with me and sit, but only after the first few days have passed. there are several reasons for that. one being, of course, i dont want him out there talking and fidgiting around when my chances are best. and, i really do not want him out there when all the crazies start their shooting gallery crud. many years, i have heard people go through box after box of ammo in one day. half the time i wonder if it isn't some anti-hunter trying to scare off the deer. most of the time i figure it is a once a year big city boy who has no idea how to hunt, so he blasts away, goes home, and blames his gun for not getting a deer. or some other reason that is equally as lame. the problem is that all of that lead is going somewhere. no, i am not worried about the lead poluting the forest. i am worried about another hunter being shot! i have been fortunate enough to never be near such a person. if i do ever run across one, he WILL be able to blame his gun, as the barrel will be bent around right back at him~!

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Yep, lead pollution kills, especially if you catch some in the head or chest! But still, hunting is safer than football from what I hear, so the odds are in your favor.

Glad to see that boy is being brung up right! Way to go!

from JHawes wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I learned to hunt during the Iowa youth season. It gives the kids a chance to learn from their father or mentor about deer behavior and shooting. They get the one on one experience they need before they are thrown into the larger gun seasons. In my opinion I think all states should have a youth season, to get more kids interested in hunting. The earlier a kid gets a deer the more likely he/she will be hooked on hunting. Other kids who go right into the gun seasons and may not get a deer for several years or more and will most likely loose interest in the sport. The season gives the kids a better opportunity to take a deer with out all the pressure from other hunters and harsher weather which is just what they need to ease them into hunting and make a lifetime memories and eventually someday pass down the tradition of hunting.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

During my Air Force career I’ve spent countless of hours helping with Junior Shooting Teams, Hunter Safety Courses and being on the range showing kids advanced skills and I sure do miss those days!
To watch a Young Shooter you have trained run up to get there reward for winning a Match or taking their first deer?
Priceless!
One of the problems today, the Sporting Community has grossly overlooked our Youth and because of that the Sporting Community is dwindling.

From Clays archives of bookmarks, places, information and things to read,

I wonder whatever became of Sandra Warmon? Back in 85, I was approached by Colonel Warmon and his teenage daughter Sandra at the Holloman AFB Base Stables. She wanted to learn to shoot and wanted to pursue High Power competition. I had better plans for this Young Lady so I immediately contacted my friend and hunting partner MSgt Mike Woodruff NRA Shooting Coach and the Team Captain for the Air Force Small Bore Team. He also ran a small bore junior shooting program downtown Alamogordo NM. Within a month, Mike and I realized we had a real shooter on our hands. Mike contacted one of the NRA Olympic Coaches in Albuquerque. All this started around April or May of 85 and in June of 86 she was at the Whittington Center in Raton New Mexico for the Olympic tryouts! Back in 95 at the at the NRA convention in Phoenix Arizona, I ran into a friend of mine that I worked with while stationed at Eielson AFB Alaska 86-90, Mr. Randy Pitney director of athletics and recreation at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. I found out thru him that Sandra became a mega hit with the NRA shooting community and wanted Sandra so bad that the University was offering a free scholarship and wanted to know if I could twist her arm. I haven’t had any contact with Sandra since May of 86.It’s interesting going out of our way to give a person the chance to do something later to learn they excelled beyond your own wildest

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I could not agree more. Even us old hunters dislike the extreme cold. I also started my Son hunting Deer at age l2 about 44 yrs ago and we have had many great DAYS AFIELD That other wise would not have spent time together. Start um young, right equiptment, low recoil firearm and let them work their way up to better equiptment ( at least it cost more). My Son and I hunted together for 42 yrs before w both killed a deer the same day. IN 2006 5 minutes before dark, w both killed nice deer. We have hunted the Rockies together, eastern Va wher they run them with dogs, here in the foothills of NC and if I;m able at 74 we plan to hunt this season and also Va. Providing my health permits we plan a Elk hunt for him in Colorado or MT in 2010. We older hunters must encourage the younger generation to hunt or soon the hunting world is gonna be a handful of old geeisers like myself. Do what-ever it takes to get those kids off the couch, Videos, hangout for mis-fits and you will not face problem kids. Shoot-um-straight and very often.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Friends, Family , Good Stories and a first successful hunt.. Who could ask for anything more... This is what it's all about passing on our heritage and knowledge.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Just a day before the first day of rifle season last year, I was in Wal-Mart. A Father and his wide eyed Son looking at rifles trying to pick one out. As the Father slowly turned the rotating rack I noticed his face start getting longer and longer then a tear then several tears. He wiped his eyes then slowly turned around then said to this Young Man looking like it was Christmas morning say, sorry Son I can’t afford it, maybe next year. Before I realized what was going on, they were gone! I ran for the main door, no good I couldn’t find them.

It really chaps my butt; the firearm manufacturers and retailers knowingly placed a high price on youth equipment. I was looking at a Youth Mathews bow last Saturday and it was the same price as an adult bow.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I grew up walking in my Fathers foot steps and a awesome Father he was and what I see today flat out pisses me off!

Good night Ladies and Gentlemen

from jlfkb2 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Clay,

Maybe for a reasonably priced youth bow, you shouldn't be looking at Matthews. Just a thought, but other manufacturers make lower priced quality bows or there is the used option, too.

jlfkb2

The more reason to keep my "TACK DRIVING HCA 4RUNNER!" and boycott manufacturers like Mathews!

What ever happened to innovation and pride, if I owned a company like Mathews, you bet I would make an affordable Youth Bow including other equipment and gladly introduce them to the world of Sportsmanship.

Let me ask you a very serious question, how many of you who grew up using a Brand your Father used and it was a dandy to have. That Name brand has stuck with some of you and gravitate to it this day! Stevens 22 rifles, Marlin Model 336 Marlin Model 120, Western Auto 30-30,Winchester Model 12, Browning Auto-5, Remington Model 721 and a Mosburg 410 which I out shot a many Adults using 12ga come to mind. I remember those days I do!

jlfkb2

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

There lots of cheaper brands on the market that most can afford. When i bought my firs gun, piad 5 bucks for it and then moved up as I made more $. It's not the amount you pay or the brand name on a fiear or bow, it how it works. If it works correct, make little difference in the name brand or cost. Yes, if I was in the outdooor business, i surely would have a beginners price and quality mdse. This Kid will find one hopefully that his dad can afford. Our society has gone gun-ho over name brands, means nothing if it don;t work better than the cheaper un-heard of brand. I;ve owned some off the wall firearms that shoot as well s my custom jobs and Rem's 700 and the game was just as dead. A good way to buy cheaper guns is by placing placecards at the local grocery and also go to a gun shop. Hope this kind finds something before he looks for other problems.

Gunslinger a +1 for you!

If I could have caught the Father, I would have invited him on a hunt and loaned out to outfits his Son. I have a friend that owns several hundred acres with a few does close by. Shoot-em all he says, there eating all my vegetables in my garden!! Last Tuesday His wife said there were over 40 deer out front of the house!

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I'm with you Clay, i would have loaned a gun to the kid for the entire season, as vault full i don;t use.Have severalwould sell cheap. Whatever this kid gets(if and when he does get one) I sure hope he gets a gun with little recoil. The single dhot will kick more than any other type. I would sugest a Auto, Pump by Mosseberg, as I got a model 9200 auto , its safe and comes with 5 choke tubes, okus a extra rifled bbl. He should be able to find one of those at the New England price. He needs to gt on e-Bay and tell them what he wants and they will find it I'm sue.Also, Rossi makesa cheaper model and just as good. The Marlin XL7 I just bought to haul around is a good a quality as any lK gun I;ve seen on the shelf and shoots well.Zero at l00 yds or etc. and it will hit the bull. Wish we had the kids name, I could fix him up in a jig. Many Mom and Pops stoes have tons of good uality used firearms at affordable prices. Bows I know little about, butmin my books aquality Bow without the fancy wheels can be bought for about l29.00. I gota FredBear in orig Box had for 35-40 yrs but cannot pull it back. And, yes we all need to take out at least one doe per seasson. I guilty as the next as i want the nice rack. e got tons of Does, but usually they only taken by poaches (leave laying) and the Bow hunters.If you try the meat of deer, the doe by far tast better if young. Shot-um-straight and often. Time slipping a away, season to open soon.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

My Grandson Alex has decided to use my AR15 with a M4 collapsible stock instead of my 25-06 this coming season. Hey. Hey"I got my rifle back!!!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I got to find 60 Grain Nosler Partitions to load for him!

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Hey guys why not look in the back of the safe and find something to give the kid for his own. How many guns are in there that you never shoot. Your heirs will likely sell them cheap and pocket the money. They could do a world of good in the hands of a needy kid. Let me tell you it sure is fun to give a gun to a needy kid and see his eyes light up.
I bought my daughter a brand new Mathews Mustang at my local pro-shop for 300 bucks and she loves it. Don't know how cheap you are looking for but that seems like a good price to me.
The Kansas youth season is also our first of the year. It ended Sept 20th.

Priceless!

From Clays archives of bookmarks, places, information and things to read,

from RichardF wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from HogBlog wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Keep at it!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Youth Hunt Articles are far over due!

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Quiet Loner wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from elmer f. wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Glad to see that boy is being brung up right! Way to go!

from JHawes wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Bernie wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I agree about the USH. It's one of the great bargains in firearms.

Congrats to your son.

from Tony C. wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Hunt_Hard wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from hunt3r wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

p.s. that's some impressive shooting with a shotgun, i'm impressed!

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Good night Ladies and Gentlemen

from jlfkb2 wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

Clay,

jlfkb2

jlfkb2

Gunslinger a +1 for you!

from Gunslinger wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

I got to find 60 Grain Nosler Partitions to load for him!

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 29 weeks ago

The Kansas youth season is also our first of the year. It ended Sept 20th.