Shooting a "Double Robin Hood"

Whitetail 365

October 09, 2009

Shooting a "Double Robin Hood"

By Scott Bestul

You don’t have to shoot a bow very long to before you encounter the term “shooting a Robin Hood.” This event is achieved when an archer shoots an arrow into a bullseye, then sends the next shaft perfectly into the first, just like the folklore hero did in his famous shootout with the Sheriff of Nottingham. In Robin’s day, when archers shot wooden shafts, a “Robin Hood” usually resulted in the original shaft being split or splintered. But with the advent of aluminum and carbon, the feat was marked by the second arrow perfectly penetrating the hollow core of the first.

I have, to the best of my recollection, shot only four perfectly-centered Robin Hoods over the years (ironically two of them occurred with recurve bows and cedar shafts). There have been quite a few chipped nocks or shaved fletchings, indicating an oh-so-close, but the real-deal Robin can be maddeningly elusive for someone of my modest skill.

Which makes the double-Robin-Hood recently shot by Bob Morgan (pictured) especially impressive to me. Morgan, a pro shooter for Carbon Express, was warming up for an ASA shoot in London, Kentucky. Shooting from a distance of 35 yards, Morgan center-punched the bull with his first arrow, then shot twice more at the same spot.  After the 3rd arrow, Morgan noticed that the final shaft seemed to be dangling from the target. When he walked up to the butt, he realized he’d shot a double-Robin. An awesome feat from any reasonable distance, but at 35 yards, truly remarkable.

So how ‘bout you? Ever heard of a double from this distance? Shot some Robin Hoods yourself? I’d like to hear about them!

from ckRich wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Wow, I can't belie... WOW. I gotta go practice now...

from lawson26 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I have only done it once but also have a bunch of chipped nocks and shaved fletchings

from lawson26 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Pretty sure i will never get a double though

from seadog wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I've done it once at 20 yards with a compound. But a double--that's crazy unreal! I'm impressed.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

that's impressive. expensive too.

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

You need to remember that Robin Hood shot a long bow, with no sights, hand made wooden arrows, no drop away rest, and he certainly didn't use a mechanical release! Oh yeah, he wore tights also, I think that attributed to his accuracy.

from hunt3r wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

that's impressive!!!, i usually just ruin my arrows,never actually robin hood them. If if did, i think i would cry, arrows ar way to expensive these days.
that's some good shootin' anyway!

from RichardF wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I have shot one at 40 yards, but that's the only one I've ever gotten. I know of a nine year old girl that was shooting in competition at a local archery shop and hit a double to beat her dad.

from matakis wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

2 Robin's so far this fall. Arrows are not cheap.

from MLH wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

These pros are impressive. First time I've seen this, though. But Morgan is a Mathews guy. :o)

I remember being self-impressed by Robin Hoods. It didn't take long to realize how much they were costing me. Another will probably mean my shooting is way off since I now shoot each arrow at a different bull. Last one on a 3D course just made my heart sink. Go figure.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

My best is a 45 yarder with broadheads. I shot aluminum arrows with a tapered end for the noc and they were impossible to robin hood.

I think I've had about 4 with carbon arrows.

During bow shoots we always aim at nocs if it's a good shot. We haven't done it yet but I think robin hooding your buddy's arrow during a shoot would be great. All in fun of course.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

That's good shootin.

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

i could make a hole turkey with all the shaved feathers i got but no rodin hoods or even a doulde.... good shooting bud

from Big O wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Never heard of a "double", and yes as a matter of fat did one the other day sighting in a new crossbow scope(red-dot).

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Walt:
Are you sure it wasn't the funny shoes Robin wore?

from deadeyedick wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

NO NEVER SAW A DOUBLE. I REALLY BELIEVE A ROBIN HOOD IS MORE LUCK THAN SKILL. MOST OF THE PEOPLE THAT I KNOW WERE NOT TRYING TO HIT THE BUTT OF ANOTHER ARROW IT JUST HAPPENED THAT WAY

from waterdrinker9 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Lucky for him he probably gets free arrows. If I had expensive arrows, I would be happy and kind of mad at the same time. But this is very impressive. Knowing the strength of the more expensive arrows, I wouldn't think it would be possible but I guess it is.

from waterdrinker9 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I have been using Red Head arrows. I got them on sale for around $50 an dozen. They shoot well too.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

The rest of his groups look pretty tight too, assuming they are his.

from ultimatepursuit wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

i love how 75% of us guys that post a comment are bragging about how awesome they are and probably half of those braggin are absolute liars...

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

wow i have hit my own arrow before and before seeing this i didn't really think it was possible just figured the arrow bounced off the nock. looks like i have something to shoot for.

from Edstoresit wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

When I first started bow hunting in the late 80's I was at my local archery shop shooting in an indoor league. One of the salesmen for Xi bow's came in. Since I was the only person in the shop at the time, and us being good buddies, the salesman told the owner he was going to freak me out while I was on the line shooting. He nocked up a brand new carbon arrow fitted with the new Iluminock (It was brand new at the time.).
He shot from behind me (and yes it was from far enough to the right of me that it was in no way a danger to me) and all I cold see was a streak of bright red light slam into the target at which I was currently on full draw. I instinctively honed in on the glowing red dot and proceeded to Robin Hood his $25.00 nock and $10 carbon arrow. Needless to say, we were impressed with the iluminock, but Ken, the saleman, was dejected as he had to pay for his demo products. I eased his pain by buying a couple which I still have to this day.

from rossmorrone wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Next time a deer runs up on me I'm going to try and Robin Hood it. That would be a new feat.

Ross
-----

visit WWW.NOROP.COM The Search Engine for Hunters

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I've accomplished to break a nock and tear two fletchings in my time as a shooter none of these were at a distance to far so quite an achievement, I've had a friend do it at the local archery club, when he did it he said it was pure luck and they hung the two arrows from the wall.

from thuroy wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I have had two Robin hoods in my life once with alluminum arrows at the age of 16 and one with carbon arrows. I also witnessed my best friend Robin Hood an arrow with another friends bow with the first two arrows he shot. Needless to say he was impressed with his bow and purchased him another 1/2 dozen arrows as an appology. I almost always shoot different spots on the target with each arrow. They are not cheep even thought I am far from a pro I shoot enough to where I could ruin a dozen arrows a year. You don't have to Robin hood an arrow to ruin it.

from codyboyd wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I've shot two robin-hoods, one at 35 yards and at 40 yards. I was shooting at my house when it seemed like the arrow was spinning in a circle. I took a closer look and i have stacked one. I told my friend about it and he couldn't believe it. Later on that year I took him to an archery range. When I released my arrow, it did the same thing, spun in a circle. I called him over and he couldn't believe his eyes. He never questioned me again.

from mhudack wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

My neighbor has gotten a few singles. I just sent him this link as a challenge.

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Wow, I can't belie... WOW. I gotta go practice now...

from ultimatepursuit wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

that's impressive. expensive too.

from RichardF wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

I think I've had about 4 with carbon arrows.

from deadeyedick wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Edstoresit wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from lawson26 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from lawson26 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Pretty sure i will never get a double though

from seadog wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from hunt3r wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

that's some good shootin' anyway!

from matakis wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

2 Robin's so far this fall. Arrows are not cheap.

from MLH wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

That's good shootin.

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Big O wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Walt:
Are you sure it wasn't the funny shoes Robin wore?

from waterdrinker9 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from waterdrinker9 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

The rest of his groups look pretty tight too, assuming they are his.

from rossmorrone wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

Ross
-----

visit WWW.NOROP.COM The Search Engine for Hunters

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from thuroy wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from codyboyd wrote 4 years 27 weeks ago

from mhudack wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

My neighbor has gotten a few singles. I just sent him this link as a challenge.