10-Point Buck Attacks Upstate New York Man

Field Notes

November 18, 2009

10-Point Buck Attacks Upstate New York Man

By Dave Hurteau

And when I say upstate, I’m talking way upstate. Namely, Moira, NY—only a handful of miles from the Canadian border and just down the road from North Bangor, where I grew up. I can tell you, there is not a lot for the deer to do up there, so I’m not surprised to read about one getting into trouble, but this was uncalled for. From the Watertown Daily Times:

For a few terrifying minutes, a Moira man became prey for a disgruntled buck.
An attack by a 10-point buck Friday sent Gerald A. Dabiew, 56, to the emergency room, covered from head to toe with cuts and bruises. . . .

“[H]e looked at me, and the next thing I know, he was coming right at me," he said. "He got me down on the ground, and it was then I knew that he really wanted to kill me. . . .

"I've got bruises from head to toe," he said. "He picked me up in the air and pounded me into the ground. . . .

"I don't know why he came around. All I was doing was throwing wood," he said. "I'm not even a hunter."

So what do you think? Should Dabiew take up hunting? I mean, what else are you going to do in Moira? (Just kidding, it was great area to grow up.)

from steve182 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Sounds like a rutting buck taking out his sexual frustrations. Glad the guy survived. Amazing he had time to count points.

from vork23 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I was driving down my dirt road in northern MN and i have had young bucks charge my vehicle but stop short of running into me but never anything like this. he should take up hunting and get revenge by hanging the bucks head on his wall

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Maybe there was a hot doe around and the buck felt challanged.

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I feel terrible for the guy... but admit to laughing out loud at the idea that the deer may have known, or may have been swayed by, the idea that he didn't hunt.

from Douglas wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

You grew up in North Bangor?? Greetings from a resident of the woods near Skerry, just south of there.
Could be the buck was venting frustration at all the midnight poaching that goes on in these parts.

from 157baron wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

It sounds like we need to go out and find that buck and beat the $@!& out of it!!!!

from Garrick Otero wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

In all serious, I wonder if the guy's throwing wood was making a rattling noise, and the buck thought he was a challenger??? I've never rattled in a buck, so I'm not sure exactly what it sounds like. What do you guys think?

from deerslayer1234 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

That reminds me of a computer game I played once, where you play as the deer and hunt humans. Come to think about it that game was probally made by PETA os some other group.

from jjas wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I guess if you only had "relations" for a short time every year, you'd be a little crazy too!

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I agree, it probably sounded like bucks fighting. Not wise during the rut! Glad the guy was not hurt badly though.

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

sounds like the buck was feeling challenged to me. maybe he took the loud sounds as a challenge

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

It probably was the wood throwing that attracted the attacking buck.

Perhaps purchasing a gas or electric heater may deter the love lorn bucks in his area, if he doesn't take up huntin'.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Douglas,
You're one of the 5 people who live in Skerry?!
Wow. Small world (especially if you live in Skerry).
Just kidding. I love Skerry; it's where North Bangorians go to get away from it all.

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I think his quote that he's "not even a hunter" is very telling. First, he doesn't seem to understand why the deer could have attacked him, and second, he seems to think that the deer can distinguish between hunters and non-hunters.

This poor fellow should make friends with someone who does hunt, and quick. There's still time left in the season to set things straight.

By the way, if a male is "throwing wood around" in the forest during the rut, he can expect some stiff competition from the wildlife.

from neuman23 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Now why wont they come that close when Im in the woods?

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I feel we should all go up there and hunt that buck down and make an example outa him. Help that fella get his man pride back.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

"im not even a hunter" Well thats your problem right there..

from Jr. Squirreler wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

i feel terrible for the guy. The worst part is IM FROM UPSTATE NEW YORK!!!!!

from shane wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

People have asked why the guys in the northeast tend to use bigger deer rifles than hunters elsewhere. Usually you see .257 Bob, .243, 7mm-08, some .270s. Up there it's .30-06, .35 Whelen, .45-70. Now you know why.

Them northeastern deer are bigger and meaner than the rest.

from Bella wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Wrong aftershave dude!

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

New way to call deer, throw a little firewood around, take the safety off and get ready.

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

It wouldnt seem like the area to have this problem, but sometimes people feed deer and those, losing fear of humans, are much more likely to do something like this

from JohnR wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

This is the type of story that the people who anthropomorphically refer to deer as "Bambis" should read. Of course the animal rights activists would simply cheer and remark "Score one for the deer!"
I'm happy Mr. Dabiew is OK. There have been people over the years who have been seriously injured in deer attacks.
A local woman was mauled several years ago by a buck she had been feeding and had named. During the peak of the rut he came around and attacked her. She wasn't too seriously hurt, but she did require hospitalization for a couple of days. Wild animals are just that!

from paulhar69 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

in the local paper it stated that the moira man was throwing wood in a bucket behind his house alone. I figure the buck took him as a threat, where they usually run but during the rut anything can happen. Or the throwing of the wood in the bucket sounded like 2 bucks fighting. The buck was probably pretty mad when he found out it was only a human making the noise, not 2 bucks fighting over a doe, he just thought he was going to get some, then his hopes and dreams were shattered!

from coho310 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

I've seen a video of a hunter who sprayed himself down with doe urine and got attacked,but I think he wanted the deer to come near him,but he got more than he bargained for,I'll say that.He was uninjured and actually thinks it's funny when he looks back at it.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Good one bella! Coho310, that man is lucky to be alive! What was he thinking.

from wgda2003 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

I had a 10 point 175 lbs buck almost attack me here in Kentucky a few weeks ago.I was stalking a cedar thickit during the rut and spraying DOCS Dbl Buck Urineabout every 20 to 30 ft when a doe jumped and there was the buck dismounting the doe lol and let me tell you he was pissedand looking for the intruder i was so shaken that he was charging that i missed 6 shots within 20 yrds .I had time to yell at him and all he did was shake his head and stomp his feet .I had time to go back get another gun come back and he was still there.Guess what? he is in the freezer now But i can believe it now i have always heard they will attack but never believed till now

from Whitetales Bluff wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Hell, if throwing wood brings a 10 pointer, I’ll have to try it!

from jjas wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

"im not even a hunter" Well thats your problem right there..

from steve182 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Maybe there was a hot doe around and the buck felt challanged.

from neuman23 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Now why wont they come that close when Im in the woods?

from Jr. Squirreler wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

i feel terrible for the guy. The worst part is IM FROM UPSTATE NEW YORK!!!!!

from Bella wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Wrong aftershave dude!

from paulhar69 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from vork23 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from 157baron wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from Garrick Otero wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from deerslayer1234 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

It probably was the wood throwing that attracted the attacking buck.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Douglas,
You're one of the 5 people who live in Skerry?!
Wow. Small world (especially if you live in Skerry).

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from Paul Wilke wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from Elmer Fudd wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from JohnR wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Them northeastern deer are bigger and meaner than the rest.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Good one bella! Coho310, that man is lucky to be alive! What was he thinking.

from wgda2003 wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from Whitetales Bluff wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Hell, if throwing wood brings a 10 pointer, I’ll have to try it!