How Do You Show Pride in Your Gun Dog and Its Breed?

Man's Best Friend

November 12, 2009

How Do You Show Pride in Your Gun Dog and Its Breed?

By David DiBenedetto

Not too long ago I asked if any of you would immortalize your gun dog in the form of a tattoo. The response was a unanimous…HECK NO! In fact, a few of you wondered if I had been sipping too much of the homemade hooch.

But everywhere I look these days dog art (not body art) seems to be gaining a foothold. Just down the street from my house here in Charleston, S.C. is a popular gallery called Dog & Horse. You can get everything from an oil portrait of your gun dog to a genuine statue of your pooch that might require a front-end loader to move. But let me say straight up, there’s no way I’m forking over that kind of dough—often thousands of dollars—for a painting of Pritchard.

I’ve got plenty of pride in my dog, but I prefer the more subtle approach. Maybe a bumper sticker on the truck (I’m fond of the one that reads “My Boykin Spaniel Is Smarter Than Your Honor Student.”). And I’ve always liked the idea of Boykin boot cleaner, like the one with the pointer in the above photo.

How about you? Would you commission a painting or statue of your gun dog? Do you have Labradors or GSP’s on your doormats, couch pillows, throw blankets, and boxers?

Or is a crate in the back of your truck all you need to display your pride?

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I'd like to find a window decal for a walker hound no such luck as of yet.
I've settled for takin pictures of mine.
I've seen t-shirts thru dixie outfitters though

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I keep nicely mounted and framed hunting photos of my dogs in my office. Right alongside photos of the rest of the family and my diplomas. I walk them in public a lot. I love to show them off and they love it too.

from squirrelgirl wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

My boyfriend wants to have his dogs names (past and present) tattoo-ed. But personally I settle for bumper stickers and signs on our front gate like "Our Terriers Can Make It UNDER the Fence in 2.5 Secs Can You?"

from Jason Norris wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I like to take my GSPs hunting so that people can see what birddogs are supposed to do with minimal contact with the dogs. I get tired of dogs running all over and the owners screaming and whistling.

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Sadly I'm one of those you can hear whistling and hacking[ that's my lack of training not theirs]
I love socializing our Brittanys . Hunting , field trials , Parades , parks , walks ,fireworks ,boating and the dog park. I really love showing those shelter dogs a there owners what a dogs is suppose to be.[ funny , I whistle and hack less there ]

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Robert Ewing- I'm with you there. I do have quite a bit of pride when I have Pritch out for a walk on the town and the yip yap dogs are going bezerk and yanking their owners left and right and Pritch passes 'em by cool as a cucumber without a tug on the leash. -D

from MLH wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Photos and antique cast iron still banks and paper weight.
A local artist does beautiful dog portraits for a reasonable price. Local conservation groups have auctioned commissions for her artwork. I'll have to dig up her business card when I get another dog.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

A bumper sticker is all I need,I still respect my dogs just as much!

from anjadams wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I have numerous Jim Killen paintings of Boykins hanging in my house as well as the Afghan with the Bokin on it. That doesn include all the framed portraits of me and the dogs hunting over the years. I have been hunting and training Boykins for 20 years. They are truly remarkable.

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I haven't found a good one for labs yet. Hey dave, I haven't been posting as much as usual, been kind of busy lately but how's pritch doing in her hunting. My pup has seen the grouse and so far we've shot two over her that she's flushed and had one go down and run?

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

muskiemaster-- Good to hear from you. Since the early dove season I haven't had Pritch out in the field. Just working on her training. But we may try for marsh hens this week and then duck season is fast approaching. Having fun with her. Glad to hear your Lab is coming along. -D

from anjadams wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Hey Dave my Boykin Moose is chomping at the bit for next Wed. Opening day for duck season. This will only be his second season and he is remarkable. I love those Boykins

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

anjadams-- Good luck to you and Moose. Hope you guys slay 'em next Wed. Keep us posted. -D

PS- That's a nice point in your profile pic.

from Wags wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

To the original question........an entire photo album of a dog locked up in various points.....plus a house that has white English Setter hair in every room. Oh, and the setter prints, ties, rugs, blankets, and, my favorite, a keyring given to me by my sister that has a setter head and the phrase "I love my English Setter". What can I say, I a sappy goof sometimes.

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Wags
I see myself going that way ,I can't see my dogs in a picture of any Brittany.

from redhuntingpoodles wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

I wish I could find some old paintings of my breed, the standard poodle! I have never seen any...If anyone sees one, let me know. I take lots of pictures and I will be making my own shirts with a drawing of one of our poodles hunting!
We duck hunt, dove hunt and pheasant hunt with our 5 poodles!

from waldman79 wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago

I'VE GOT A TATTOO FOR EACH OF MY DECEASED LABS

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I'd like to find a window decal for a walker hound no such luck as of yet.
I've settled for takin pictures of mine.
I've seen t-shirts thru dixie outfitters though

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from Wags wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from squirrelgirl wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from Jason Norris wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Photos and antique cast iron still banks and paper weight.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

A bumper sticker is all I need,I still respect my dogs just as much!

from anjadams wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from anjadams wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

PS- That's a nice point in your profile pic.

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Wags
I see myself going that way ,I can't see my dogs in a picture of any Brittany.

from redhuntingpoodles wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

We duck hunt, dove hunt and pheasant hunt with our 5 poodles!

from waldman79 wrote 3 years 51 weeks ago