How Far Would You Go To Defend Your Dog?

Man's Best Friend

November 04, 2009

How Far Would You Go To Defend Your Dog?

By David DiBenedetto

Recently, the dog folk in the normally quiet town of Charleston, South Carolina have gotten wrapped up in a canine horror story. According to the Post and Courier, these are the details:

After running over a dog on a rural road in McClellanville on Thursday morning, the driver of a pickup truck tried to "put the dog out of its misery" by whacking the animal with a machete and a hammer, authorities said.

The dog's owner heard the dog's plaintive yelping and ran out of his house, grabbed the machete and hammer and started waling away with the hammer, attacking the man who had been attacking his dog.

The driver was hospitalized with a skull fracture. The dog's owner is in jail, accused of trying to kill the driver. The dog, whose name is "Dingo," was hanging on for his life Thursday night.

Since the incident  (which occurred in late October), animal cruelty charges are pending on the driver, and the dog has been put down. Relatives of the driver say he’s an animal lover. The dog’s owner found the pup as a stray and has been caring for it for the past year. In the Post and Courier the Charleston Magistrate probably summed the situation up best, “I think we’ve got some good people here with a lot of overreaction.”

Obviously, the easy lesson here is don’t let your dog wander, especially near roads. But the larger question is this: If you walked out of your house and saw someone attacking your dog, what would you do?

from CastMaster25 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

if that was happening to my lab i would be on that person in seconds. I wouldn't do anything bad enough to go to jail but enough to take care of the situation. A dog is not only mans best friend, but a member of your family, and nobody messes with family!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Whatever it takes to immediately end the attack.

from dneaster3 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I live in a state where the "castle doctrine" extends not only to (human) family but to property, so I would defend Toby with the appropriate level of force.

That being said, I don't let my dog wander far enough to get into trouble in the first place.

from Outsider wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

If someone was trying to harm any of my animals, I would take all necessary steps to protect my animals, and if it came to killing someone over it, so be it. We have rights to protect what is ours, my animals are like my kids, and I love them.

from thuroy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

The person should hope that I didn't catch them.

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

To a dog owner, that dog is your child...and I'd defend my girl with as much conviction as if she were a human relative being assaulted.

from MB915 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I agree with the sentiment of everyone, and to putting a stop to the unnecessary violence on my pet, but to say you would kill a human over it is crazy.

I know I am going to get some minues for what I am going to say, and I dont care. But you sound no different than crazy animal rights activists putting more value on an animals life then on a persons life.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I would be really upset but I'm not a violent person. I would put an abrupt end to my dogs abuse and walk away. Then when the dude wakes up some morning with 4 flat tires who's the wiser.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Yep, MB915, you got my minus 1. I place more value in my dog than I do in a scum bag who would harm him.

from babsfish4life wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

So was the dog going to die from getting hit by the car? I am all for putting a dog out of its misery but they didn't really say what the condition of the dog. How do you "try" to put a dog out of its misery with a machete? You have to be pretty incompetent to have to "try" instead of "do", one swipe should be the end of it. If the guy was trying to be humane why is he being accused of a crime? Some of you guys are acting like he chased the dog down and attacked it. Pretty nondescriptive story. If a farmer has to put a horse down is he "attacking" the horse? If he was killing or attacking the dog it was wrong, if he was putting the dog out of its misery the owner just overreacted.

from Devil_Dog wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

There's alot missing from this story. If the dog is hit in the middle of nowhere and has no ID on it, then trying to end obvious suffering is justified. But if the dog has a collar on it, the least you can do is take the dog to the nearest vet and contact the owner from there. I don't own a dog, but if I did, and saw someone standing over it with a machete they would have about half a heartbeat to come up with a real good explanation before things got ugly (but not fatal).

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

My dog is a member of the family, he would die protecting me, and I owe him the same, period......though I would be more inclined to just end the attack, and not put the guy in the hospital, there is defense, and there is over-response...hard to judge if your not there in person however....

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

On another note, don't let your dogs roam free...you are asking for trouble and to be liable for all sorts of things...keep your dog in the yard...fences and dog runs are not that expensive, and safer for your dog...nothing drives me crazy like dog crap in my drive way or knocked over garbage cans from the neighbors dogs.......

from Kim wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Unfortunate for the dog and the driver. The dog is the innocent one. The driver should have taken other procedures, but mostly the dog owner is to blame for most of it. He should have had some way to confine the dog (fence, kennel, etc.). If you had a 1,000 pound bull in your yard would you let it roam free? Animals follow roaming instincts it is up to owners to see that they are protected by some sort of confinement to the owners property or not be a pet owner. The driver was definitely wrong for continuing to do harm to the already pummeled dog. I am a pet owner and a hunter, I see to it that my animals are taken care of and take the extra steps to see that they stay on my property ( like cementing the bottom of the fence a foot in the ground to prevent digging out).

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

My little lab/cocker spaniel dog saved my daughter from an attack by two loose neighborhood pit bulls. To paraphrase the Texans, "Don't mess with Kenan." I'd be right peeved if someone attacked him.

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

This is definitely a topic that is contextual...if that's even a real sentence/word. If my dog were attacking a dog/human...I would expect another person to act accordingly. If it were blatent animal cruelty, I'd attack that person to defend her (not kill). If she were mortally wounded in an accident, well I just don't know. But I think the biggest difference between the animal rights crazies and pet owners is the former chastises everyone/thing, from these examples to legal, ethical hunting for food. People in here are defending a loved one who is under attack. That's an area of common ground on both sides...it doesn't mean it's in the same ballpark.

from seadog wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

It sounds like both guys overreacted. It's hard to tell from the story if the dog needed to be put out of it's misery or not, but wailing on it with a hammer is crazy--that's abuse. I love my animals and I can't really say for sure that I wouldn't overreact if it was my dog, but deadly force is too much. I really feel for the dog owner because I can see myself making the same mistake--I would like to think that I have better self control, but I'm just not sure.

from hostie24 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Anyone who hurt my dog is either not gonna look very good or be six feet under. My dog is my huntin buddy. He rides in the front seat.

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

A few of you mentioned you'd like some more detail. To get it just click on the Post and Courier link in the above post...it will take you to the story. No doubt, things aren't always as simple as they seem... which is one reason the incident generated lots of chatter down here. -D

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

That why it's good to know where a big pig pen is if you follow my drift.

from rjw wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

BEAT THEIR A**, end of story. I will put my own dog down if needed!

from Big O wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

There is an old southern saying. " Three things you NEVER do. Mess with a man's family, money or his dog !"
Enough said ?

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Who really carries a machete around with them every day in their car?
I had a college roommate who kept two tomahawks but he was a bit off the deep end.

from minigunner111 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Id kick your @$$ for messing with my girlfriend I'd kill you for messing with my dog.

from natureguy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

There is a lot to think about here-- after all we weren't there. Perhaps the person who ran down the dog panacked and thought the dog was fatally hurt. The person may have done what they thought was their only option--end the suffering. Obviously one or perhaps 2 carefull blows to the dog's skull should have put it out of it's misery. However if the dog was flailing away perhaps that would not have been as easy as it seems.
We do not know how upset the driver was or their skill with a hammer or machete.
We also do not know their age or size etc. We should be very carefull with this limited information, to make conclusions-- I realize this is a sensitive subject.
I am a dog owner myself and have 2 springers who I love dearly. I am ultimately responsible if they roam and get hurt. However I cannot believe that my dog's life can justify killing someone no matter what the circumstances.
I do believe that using sufficient force to stop an unjustified attack by a person against my dogs is areasonable response if asking them to please stop dosen't work-- but what would you do if your dog had attacted the person first or if they had a fear they were about to be bitten? It is important to stop and think first before just reacting don't you agree?

from Larry O Copenhaver wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Perhaps there is more on the original article but this "blurb" doesn't do the story justice. Did the dog have a collar with a nametag? I keep control of my dogs and they don't get onto the streets, but some dogs are just escape artists; this dog came from a shelter, is he one??? So, the control people should back off a little until we know. However rjw hits the proverbial nail on the head (sorry for the bad pun)it wasn't this guy's dog and not his call to put him out of his misery, it's the owner's call. Even if he thought he was being considerate he was mostly an idiot. Did he deserve to be beaten almost to death??? well, it wasn't my dog, so NOPE; if it was my dog, then YES, dang right he'd be beaten!!!

from fisherman1016 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

i agree with castmaster25

from BeardogRed wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Being a responsible Dog owner is of the utmost importance. Stop, Look, and Listen pays off when in the field hunting, training or at home. Stopping the forward momentum of the situation, checking the dog, and taking appropriate action would be a wise coarse of action. I have had to euthanize many of my dogs. It hurts, but whatever is best for the dog is most important. A knowledgeable dog owner would know what to do with the dog first and deal with the car driver after the dog had been attended to properly.

from Springer wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I have a friend whose dog was shot by a neighbor. He went to the neighbor's house and "pistol whipped" him at his front door. Not sure if the guy even got what he deserved...

I would stop at nothing to defend my dog.

from Outdoor Lover wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

You who would kill a person over a dog are sick, mentally disturbed and probably should not be allowed to own guns. A dog is a dog, not a human being. They are not a family member in normal homes, they are a pet. No dog should be in the same sentence when discussing the importance of human life.It sickens me to think that that you sick people , a good number of you, probably claim to be good Christians.I promise you that our Lord and Savior knows the difference between animals and His brothers and sisters. And he said forgive them, not kill them. maybe you should rethink your murderous thoughts.

-13 Good Comment? | | Report
from shane wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

If a dog can yelp, it can survive. A hammer? Are you kidding me? This guy has some screws loose. The castle doctrine applies here and then some. If someone is using deadly force on my property and family member, they might get the same in return. I'm with the dog owner.

You know if a guy broke into your home waving a gun around, you'd show him how your gun works. So, if a guy was hitting my dog with a hammer, I'd hit him with a hammer.

from babsfish4life wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Except that the dog was not on his property. My escape artist dog got shot this year by a guy down the street (survived). Sure I was mad, but more at the dog for running off instead of the neighbor. If you don't want your dog chancing getting killed, make sure it stays on your property. Comparing breaking into a house and hitting a runaway dog on the street are completely different. They are both idiots.

from babsfish4life wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

The driver is an idiot for trying to "take care" of the dog instead of knocking on the door. Reading the whole story makes me think the best decision would be to not even stop. The owner is an idiot for freaking out and trying to kill the driver because he didn't do anything to keep his dog at home and took his chances and lost. Bad decisions by everybody involved, what idiots.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Dang right , Big O

PS: This post really brought out the wacky trolls! he he

from avenger28 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

i would do damage to the person that is attacking my dog. i hate violence unless its need and this situation i believe that it is necessary. once the person left or stopped then i would stop my actions.

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

my dogs are my best pals and hunting buds, as well as a sizeable investment. not to mention basically helpless if under attack by a person (my brittany's and golden would bite you if you kicked them, never even heard them growl). intentially hurt my dog and the consequences would be dire and immediate.

from Rocco Stumpo wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I love my pets almost as much as my kids and I will defend them the same way.

from Kim wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Bottom line is the dog owner should have had a fence, dog kennel or kept the dog inside or on a leash. The guy who hit the dog was a victim of circumstance "UNTIL" he started to beat and hack the dog to death. He should get maximum penalty that law will allow.

from Bella wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

It was for the sake of such scenarios that I spent so many years in the dojo learning Aikido. It should allow one to control a situation and disarm a miscreant in sauch a way as to limit potential litigation. Nikkyo is painful but leaves no marks. And I agree, a dog is a dog, I love mine, she's a SWEETIE, but would I kill the man that harmed her? No, I might give give him a real hard time of it though.

from RichardF wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Not sure what I would do. The situation would drive the response but nothing fatal, expecially with a hammer.

from T.W. Davidson wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

All . . .

Some years ago I was walking down the sidewalk in a small town in the early evening when a labrador retriever began to cross the street about 30 yards in front of me. A car, which in my opinion had plenty of time to slow down or even safely swerve slightly to the left or right and not hit the dog, smacked right into the chest and ribcage of the dog at about 35 mph. There's no way the driver didn't know he hit the dog, but if anything, the driver stepped on the gas and took off.

Unfortunately, the impact did not kill the dog nor knock it out. Rather, the impact caused the dog to experience instant screaming, flailing, tortured agony. I instinctively ran out into the street and flagged down traffic. Cars stopped all over the street. I then ran to the dog, but the animal was biting and clawing at itself between its screams of agony. I suppressed an intense urge to vomit. There was no way I could grab the dog or calm it down. I knew its internal injuries were fatal, but were far too slow in getting there. It was a horrible situation.

Many people tried to help. Many people were crying. A few of us talked about jumping on the dog en mass while one of us strangled it, but no one, including me, had the nerve (or the strength) to do this.

I got on my phone. I told the emergency dispatcher the situation. I said I had a gun in my car and that the dog was in agony and needed to be put out of its misery right that second. The dispatcher started to tell me an officer was 10 minutes away and not to do anything. I held the phone up a few feet away from the dog while it screamed and rolled and bit at itself in ear-piercing agony. Then I asked the dispatcher to rethink what she had just told me. There was a brief silence. I thought I heard her sob and I forgave her. She said, "I didn't realize. Do what you have to do. Hurry. I'll back you."

I ran to my car (parked 100' down the street), retrieved my 10-22 from the trunk, and instantly ended the dog's agony. In the silence that followed I looked around. Everyone looked ill. A man had a pistol in his hand. A woman put a revolver back into her purse. Another man put a shotgun back into his pickup. It was clear to me that someone among us would have put the dog out of its misery if I had not.

A minute later (it may as well have been a century), a gray-haired police officer--not some rookie--rolled up, overheads flashing. I'm standing there in the street with my rifle in my hand. The one guy is standing there with a pistol in his hand. The butt of a revolver is sticking out of the one woman's purse. The shotgun is in plain sight on the seat through the still-open door of the other man's pickup.

The officer sees the dog on the road, sees how upset everyone is, and sees all our guns. He gets out of his car and immediately announces. "Dispatch told me the situation. I'm sorry I couldn't get her quicker."

The little town where this awful event unfolded was in a state that did not permit (at that time, and maybe not now either) concealed handguns. I'm pretty sure the state also did not permit people to stand in the street with rifles and pistols in their hands, or sticking out of their purses, or with shotguns in plain sight on a pickup seat.

The officer looked at me. He asked if I was the one who had made the call to Dispatch. I said yes. To my immense surprise, the officer said, "Thank you for doing my job for me." He apologized again for being slow to the scene. Nobody said anything.

I gave the officer a description of the car that had hit the dog. Several other people did the same. When we were finished, and without saying a word or doing anything about all the guns in plain sight--you know, like arresting us-- the officer opened the trunk on his cruiser, put some gloves on, gently wrapped the dog in a plastic sheet, carefully put the dog into the trunk, and drove away.

We all looked at each other, nodded a lot, said almost nothing, and went our separate ways.

TWD

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

T.w davidson- your story almost had me in tears just reading it. Im sorry you had 2 witness that. i had a person speed up and drive on the left side of the road as i was in the woods and my dog was at the edge of the road. he is well trained i just whistled at him into the woods. The car was headed to a local boat landing i was near my house so i grabbed a pen and paper to write them a note and walked down to it where the person had parked there car. I was sure to run my dog in the water and then as i left the boat landing i had my dog d step all over the car... also covered the handles in dog crap to insure my message was heard. im sure the muddy footprints of my dog on there newer car looked great at the local car wash 20 miles away. personally had they hit my dog i would of probably dragged them from the car and burned the car in front of them as i beat the hell out of them for swerving towards him.

from Big O wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

GOD BLESS YOU Mr Davidson ! GOD BLESS YOU !

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

T.W. Davidson -- Thanks for adding a truly heartfelt perspective on the story. -D

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Outdoor Lover:
Why exactly did you come to this web-site?

from Big O wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Outdoor Lover - As a "Christian" you should know that we are susposed to love ALL GOD'S CREATIONS !
I guess you've never heard of the "RAINBOW BRIDGE" either !

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I still don't understand why the driver couldn't stop hitting his head against that hammer.

from natureguy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

TW Davidson told a tragic story. I thank him for doing the humane thing under the circumstances. I once found myself in simialr circumstances. Returniing from a trip we drove around a curve in the highway and I saw what i Thought was cargo fly out of the back of a small yellow
pickup in fron to me. I pulled over to help when my friend says " Look there's a 3 legged Moose in the middle of the road". The driver of the pickup had just avoided death as a moose flying up the bonnet into your lap is usually fatal. Instead nthe moose had flown over the cab of his pickup! He was very lucky! My friend took my flashlight out of the glove box and flagged down the traffic before anyone else hit the moose-- light was falling fast. We were right beside a park(closed for the season). This was pre-cellphone and the nearest town was 20 miles away. No one had a gun except me-- I had my 12 guage but only birdshot, no slugs. The moose was still standing in the middle of the road in shock. I made the decision and walked up to it and shot it in the head about 5 feet away. It went down but gone back up.
It wandered across the road heading into the park, I followed and shot it 7 more times to kill it. I was young and relatively inexperienced. I had only shot one moose before and with a 30'06. The killing shot was to the throat. I figured I was in a lot of trouble but I believed I had to put that moose down. I had shot a moose without a license, on the side of the trans canada highway ,within park boundries, after dark, with birdshot. About 40 witnesses saw me do it. My friend stayed there in case the RCMP came and I drove to the nearest town to phone them. I told the dispatcher what had happened-- she told me the officer was waiting for me atthe site. I drove back thinking about the trouble I was in the whole way. When I arrived there was still a large crowd gathered there. I went up to the RCMP officer and told him what had happened. I said I guess I am in a lot of trouble-- and asked if he was going to arrest me. Much to my surprise and releif he thanked me and told me I had done the proper thing under the circumstances. No charges were forthcoming! He further said that if I had not put the moose out of it's misery, he would have had to go into the woods, in the dark, with his handgun to try anfd find it. This happened about 25 or more years ago in Nfld. It is something I can never forget!

from bassman3-15 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

If I saw that happening too my dog I'd react first and ask questions later.

from Drew YoungeDyke wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

The driver was lucky to get away with a skull fracture.

from jamesti wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

your dog doesn't draw the line when it comes to protecting you so you shouldn't either!
outdoor lover: go love a squirrel!
you choose to own a dog and care for it and you take on the same responsibity as raising kids! do what you have to do to protect them! what a sh**ty way to put a dog out of misery! go knock on the door and explain the situation. let the owner decide what to do. he got less than he deserved!

from Pheasant Hunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

There is way too much missing information to get a good grip on this. If I came out of my house and saw that scene, I would be in jail too. If the dog had tags, easy choice to make by truck driver. If not, not as easy, but if you don't have a humane way to do it, leave and knock on a nearby house door. My dad had a similiar situation years ago while traveling for work. Truck in front of him hit a lab on the highway in Iowa, and kept going. My dad pulled over, being a dog lover and hunter knew the dog was done for. He pulled his .357 and finished the job. FYI no tags were anywhere on the dog.

from gman3186 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

all i can say if somebody hurts my dog god help them becuase they wont like it when this dog bites

from Judd McCullum wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I didn't get past Outdoor Lover's post so if one of you already said this, I'm just backing you up. Most people don't even fall into the same category as a good dog. We should all strive to be as loyal and loving. When relatives have died, I grieved to myself. When my dogs and those of my close friends met their ends I cried like a baby. To say that I'd come unglued if someone were beating my best friend, my brother, with a hammer doesn't quite lay it all out there.

from kcozad wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

that guy would have had a twelve gauge slug in him right now if he did anything to my dog.

from kcozad wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from jtboles wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I would do almost anything necesary to protect my dog cause from the moment its feet pass over the thresh hold of my house that dog is a part of my family.

from EMN wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

All bets are off if somebody tried to harm one or both of my dogs, my reaction would be instant and i would not relent until the threat was aleviated. i commend T.W. davidson you had the courage to do what had to be done. that was a horrible situation you reacted correctly however tough it was for you my hat is off to you sir.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

This was an idiotic blog question because most people would never bother a dog and most dog owners aren't stupid enough to let them play in traffic or menace people.

In this case it seems the guy was trying to deliver a mercy blow. Whether it was necessary is hard to know. I do know if I were sitting on a jury I'd probably convict the dog owner. I'd also probably acquit someone if they eliminated some problem dog that repeatedly entered their property or killed their stock, even if they used a 2x4.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

And I certainly think TW Davidson did the right thing.

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I'd get a few good licks in. I don't think I'd go as far as putting someone in the hospital for it. Lets face it. We'd be no help to our dog if we're in jail.

from Michael Lindley wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

A machete? Really? I have one in my tool shed, but as the first thing to grab in the car/truck?

A pistol is humane. A machete reminds me of a horror movie.

from T.W. Davidson wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

All . . .

Thanks for the comments. Had I not been the one to put the mortally wounded dog out its misery that night, there were at least three or four other people who would have done so in my stead. I just happened to be the guy who squeezed the trigger first, that's all.

TWD

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

This is a tough one not sure what I would do. Glad I taught my dogs not to cross streets without permission.

NOS but I have a dog question in the answer section and would appreciate advice from all. Please go to "Answers and look for my avatar. Thanks, Del

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Pheasant Hunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I let my wife look at this topic. God forbid she saw this scenario. I taught her how to shoot a shotgun and a .22 This would have turned out even worse. I don't think I've ever met a more animal loving person. And yes she is fine with hunting just not with dumasses

from Stimp wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

This is pheasant hunters wife. ya, trust your dog and your horse. u fk with my dogs, horses, my family, my barn cats, my dogs...if they can"t take you out themselves, I'm ready....bring it.....racoon....opossum...or a human....don't give two shts...its me, my family, my animals and friends..Don't care one way or the other...You r done...period end of story. I'm small but I'm adgile

from Stimp wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Stimp wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

oh and I forgot to mention I'm 99% accurate with rifle....bring IT....my family, friends and animals come waaaaaaay before u.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Stimp wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Stimp wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from beers123 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I know what i would do. My girlfriend knows where she stands with my dogs. My dogs and then her. Girlfriends come and go my dogs stay. If someone attacked my dogs pray it isn't you.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I'd show him my threat-talking ability while holding my favorite golf club.

from mihunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I love my dog to death, but if it was me in this situation, and my dog was hit, i would be extremely pissed and would stop the guy from attacking my dog by any means, but knowing that i could kill a guy by hitting him in the head with a hammer, i would not go to that extent because, even though its hard to say, a dogs life is not worth me going to prison for.

If it was me I would have probably kicked the crap out of the guy, but not do something that has the possibility of him dying.

from IceClash wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

jamesti dont you mean
"Outdoor lover go hump a squirrel"?

from IceClash wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

jamesti dont you mean
"Outdoor lover go hump a squirrel"?

from IceClash wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

coho310 dont waste your club on that type of person,baseball bat?

from tuckerj5047 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

It is one thing to put a dog out of its misery. It is another to beat it with a machete in trying to do so. I would not be very grateful to anyone who did that to my dog, but attacking someone and fracturing their skull is an over reaction.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Anger is one thing, but I feel that this particular person of the article cared more about his "attitude" and revenge than he cared about his own pet.

In a situation concerning a member of my family, my first thought was to see to the injured. THEN, I got angry at the cause.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Well, I read the story. Vets found no broken bones in that dog. Certainly no broken back as the driver diagnosed.

I had a wonderful small black lab twenty years ago. She never left the yard even though it wasn't fenced. My folks were coming from out of town to visit me and, because it was a nice spring day, the dog was outside laying in the yard while I was cleaning the house. Left the front door open to air things out. My folks rolled up and parked on the other side of the street. My dog, of course, knew them and their car. She crossed the street to meet them and was run over by a large 4x4 pickup. Front passenger tire went completely over her. What a horrible thing to see her spinning around, falling, and screaming. The guy stopped and was absolutely mortified. I ran out to the dog and immediately assured the fella that he was not at fault. I remember touching him gently on the shoulder. Anyway, I was able to scoop Ethyl into my rig and rush her a few blocks to the vets. No broken bones. Her pelvis was likely flexed but popped back into place. Though it looked like she was a goner at the scene, she recovered completely within a week or so. My five year-old lab was run over by a pickup end to end when she was eleven months old. My young son had left the back gate open and she followed someone down the street and then crossed to see someone else when she was hit. The driver got my number off her collar and called me on his cell. Pearl was flat out on the side of the street, skinned up all over, and bleeding from the nose. Fortunately, no blood from the ears. She had a fractured skull but we saved her. Today she's one helluva hunting dog and my best friend. I would say that both of these drivers could easily have assumed that my dogs needed to be put out of their misery on the spot. Glad they didn't make that decision and left it to me.

from Fischerman69 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

if anyone attacked my dog they would be in the hospital before they could blink my do is my friend and a part of the family

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from byrdlady wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Those who said they didn't know the whole story are right. I'm a resident of this little town where the incident happened and it has caused much pain for the community. The man who was trying to euthanize the dog is a good person and had stopped several passersby to ask for a gun. He is also very active in the local animal rescue activities. There were no tags on the dog and it happened in a fairly rural area with no houses in site. The owner of the dog was driving home along the same rode and came upon the scene. Its been a terrible thing for everyone involved.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Sad story with an unhappy ending.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Interesting how the press can conveniently leave things out to sensationalize. I was very suspicious when I read it. Thanks for filling us in, Byrdlady. Sounds like it was a stretch to call the assailant the dog's "owner". Was more or less a wild dog that sort of befriended him. Allowed to run loose and no collar or tags. The guy cared enough to almost kill another fella but not enough to properly take care of the dog? Not even in the most rudimentary fashion? I don't think that guy will stand a prayer in court. I think it will look like he was just looking for an excuse to club someone. I believe you, Byrdlady, this one is a complicated mess!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Regardless of method of "ownership", that apparently was his dog. My reaction would be the same whether it was a neighborhood mutt or a stray. I don't want to think about what I might do in the heat of the moment if someone were doing that to my Lab. Run over my dog in my driveway (a long way down to the county road) and you just became guilty of trespassing and animal cruelty. A capital offense? Hopefully not.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Thanks, byrdlady. Sounds like the guy trying to put down the dog was an ok sort, and the other fellow a real douche.

from babsfish4life wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter, what would you have done if you were the driver? By the way, I don't think the dog was in a driveway.

from babsfish4life wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Another thing to consider for all the self-absorbed morons talking about how they'd off a human... you take that baseball bat or golf club to another human and some fellow like me comes along, you're gonna have gun pointed at you, a 9-11 call, and a witness testifying for the prosecution at your felony assault trial.

from 6ptbones wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Call me stupid, but my first re-action if that was MY dog, I would have to be fight to the death, because he would do the same for me, regardless of the consequences.

from 6ptbones wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

So sorry byrdlady.. sometimes i talk before thinking,(reading in this case). I hope this incedent resolves itself OK.Still I would go nuts if I saw someone beating my dog with anything! Social protocol goes a long way, I would hope if an accident occurred I would be given the right to call it, no matter how much I love my dog, I would rather have that than not know or worse yet catch someone doing what needed to be done anyway and do something stupid.

from dangerous game wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

First one thing i might want to say is if aome one attacked my dogs they would quickly be torn to shreds by a 125 pound puppy. My dogs are enclosed in 2 acres of 6 foot tall fence and have only gotten out five times in many years. But if my dog couldn't fight back I would grab my 20 gauge and a hunting knife then release my other dogs that would start destroying him if they saw him hurt a member of the pack.If he came at me then he would find five slugs in his head.

from dneaster3 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from MB915 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Big O wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Enough said ?

from T.W. Davidson wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

All . . .

TWD

from CastMaster25 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Whatever it takes to immediately end the attack.

from seadog wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from babsfish4life wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Kim wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Outdoor Lover:
Why exactly did you come to this web-site?

from thuroy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

The person should hope that I didn't catch them.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from natureguy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Dang right , Big O

PS: This post really brought out the wacky trolls! he he

from Big O wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

GOD BLESS YOU Mr Davidson ! GOD BLESS YOU !

from Big O wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I guess you've never heard of the "RAINBOW BRIDGE" either !

from jamesti wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

outdoor lover: go love a squirrel!

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

And I certainly think TW Davidson did the right thing.

from Ruckweiler wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from hostie24 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Who really carries a machete around with them every day in their car?

from minigunner111 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Springer wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I would stop at nothing to defend my dog.

from shane wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from babsfish4life wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Rocco Stumpo wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I love my pets almost as much as my kids and I will defend them the same way.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Dave DiBenedetto wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from natureguy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Judd McCullum wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from EMN wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Michael Lindley wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

A pistol is humane. A machete reminds me of a horror movie.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from byrdlady wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from babsfish4life wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from Outsider wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from WVOtter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Devil_Dog wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

That why it's good to know where a big pig pen is if you follow my drift.

from rjw wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

BEAT THEIR A**, end of story. I will put my own dog down if needed!

from Larry O Copenhaver wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from fisherman1016 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

i agree with castmaster25

from BeardogRed wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from avenger28 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Kim wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from RichardF wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from bassman3-15 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

If I saw that happening too my dog I'd react first and ask questions later.

from Drew YoungeDyke wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

The driver was lucky to get away with a skull fracture.

from Pheasant Hunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from gman3186 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from kcozad wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from kcozad wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from jtboles wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from T.W. Davidson wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

All . . .

TWD

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Pheasant Hunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from beers123 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from coho310 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I'd show him my threat-talking ability while holding my favorite golf club.

from IceClash wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

jamesti dont you mean
"Outdoor lover go hump a squirrel"?

from IceClash wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

coho310 dont waste your club on that type of person,baseball bat?

from tuckerj5047 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Stimp wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Stimp wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Stimp wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from mihunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from IceClash wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

jamesti dont you mean
"Outdoor lover go hump a squirrel"?

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Sad story with an unhappy ending.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago