To Pee or Not To Pee Off Your Treestand?

Whitetail 365

November 02, 2009

To Pee or Not To Pee Off Your Treestand?

By Scott Bestul

Many years ago, when Shari and I were first dating, my wife-to-be was under the mistaken notion that I drank a 20-ounce bottle of pop every time I went hunting. Finally, I had to confess that I was not hooked on soda. The bottle was empty when I stuffed it in my backpack and, um, filled if my bladder convinced my brain we’d been in the treestand too long.

Obviously, preventing deer from detecting human odor is a building block of deer hunting. It doesn’t matter if you’re the biggest carbon-clothing geek out there, or someone who simply plays the wind; if you aren’t at least thinking about scent control, you likely aren’t very successful. And since urine is one facet of our odor we have some control over, plenty of deer hunters take the logical step and pee in a bottle.

But in recent years there’s a ton of evidence that human urine doesn’t bother deer a bit. In fact, I’ve been peeing in my mock scrapes the last several seasons, and for the most part it drives buck crazy...in a good way. So acting upon the evidence I’d heard from other hunters who “let if fly” off the stand, and my own mock scrape experiments, I decided a few years back that I would no longer tolerate the muss, fuss and mess of a pee bottle. I’ve found the experience liberating, and to the best of my knowledge, have not spooked a deer with my scent-marking.

So as always, I’m curious about your experience. Are you a pee-bottle kinda hunter, or do you just let it rip when you can’t take it anymore?

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I've witnessed bucks walk directly underneath me to check out my tinkle. Pee away.

from hunterboy56 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Same as buckhunter. Never had a deer shy away from it. Never used a pee bottle and killed several deer.

from jlstrader wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

This year I started using a pee bottle after everyone told me it was bad to pee where you hunt. Well, they were wrong. I got my first deer, a 9 pointer, this year not ten minutes after peeing out of the stand. He walked right up to me, with the wind in his face. That day I frogot the bottle and everyday after that!! It does not seem to bother the doe either. Yesterday I had one come up behind me, no shot, but still, it did not seem to bother them I had peed all day from the stand. It does seem to bother coons a little though once they get close. Last week a coon come right under my stand, smell where I peed, and took off like some lit a fire under his rear. So, I agree, pee on!!!

from MLH wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Let it rip, especially in scrapes. I do try to remember to clear the leaves out besides my stand, though, so it isn't so loud. And also remember not to lower my gear there.

from MLH wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Oh, if you do use a bottle, best to use a cola bottle so that the color difference is obvious.

from -Bob wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I see you've been using a Diet Mountain Dew bottle as your…uhhh…"repository". Isn't that somewhat redundant?

No experience with peeing over the side -- I usually try to start the morning with the gauge on "E" and tough it out until it's time to climb down. Yes, it's uncomfortable. But the added bonus is, it keeps you awake. A little twitchy, but awake nonetheless.

I actually had a different question concerning the other side of the shop. What does a fella do when the need arises to re-create the "beans" scene from Blazing Saddles? Stifle, or let fly under the excuse that it sounds just like a snort-wheeze? Just curious. -Bob

from seadog wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Is the picture a bottle of Mountain Dew or warm recycled Mountain Dew? I usually carry a bottle with a handle & a short rope to tie it to the stand. It looks nothing like my drink bottle. But, I'm thinking about giving up the bottle. More & more hunters seem to be reaching the conclusion that it doesn't matter.

from CaptChuck57 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

20 oz bottles don't work for me....I need those wide-mouthed powerade bottles!

from ejunk wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I used to carry a bottle, but articles from you guys (and others) have led me to quit that habit. I'm glad to be rid of the practice, too.

yrs-
Evan!

from borediis21 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

urine is a natural odor no matter what animal or person it came from and wont bother deer at all so pee away

and to "captchuck57" the guys who always brag have the smallest package lol

from jamesti wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

never used a bottle. never will.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

??? O"REALLY!

from Bryan01 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

You mean I've been skipping my coffee before going out for no valid reason?

from Wired To Hunt wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I just let it fly and I also pee in my mock scrapes. Like you said, there is a lot of research that proves that there is nothing to worry about.

from CorieSquared wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Everyone always tells me that peeing in a bottle isn't necessary, but I can't convince myself it won't spook the deer. I guess I'll be a pee-bottle user until the day I die! On all days hunts, like this Saturday coming up, I'll probably bring a half gallon jug to be safe!

from Big O wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

WAS a "bottle-baby" now it's "LET ER' FLY"

from GiantWhitetails wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

i would love to see some scientific research on this stuff

from theoutdoorfever wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I've never peed of a stand and probably never will. People have been doing studies and supposedly it doesn't spook deer, but the way I see it is why take the chance. What if you pee of your stand and a monster buck walks by and happens to spook from the smell. Then you would be wishing you had just peed in the bottle. All I'm saying is why take the chance, you never know.

Matt
theoutdoorfever.com

from shane wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Cohorts and I had this debate years ago. Eventually, my colleague I. P. Freely and I convinced the gang to let 'er rip. I pee in scrapes too. Bring it, bucks. I challenge you. I think I'm gonna win.

from rampageingapes wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I personally havent had a problem with it. In fact one morning I shot two bucks not 10 yards from the spot

from IsaiahB wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I had always just gone pee but in a side note when fishing I do the same thing and there too it seems to up the catch ratio. Who knows were outdoors men not scientist.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

CaptChuck57

Dream on, buckwheat!

PS: I did not give you any of the -1's you received! LOL

from Fisher Boy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

story my dad told me about how he got his big buck when he came home from deer camp; he took a leek on the log 15 feet from his area where he was sitting, and about an hour later he woke up to a grunt. yeah he fell asleep, but there was a but right by that watered log, and boy was that deer pissed, grunting and kicking, but a 12 gauge put an end to that.

from Jerry A. wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I always go off the stand during rifle season, but try to hold it when bow hunting. Also, to add to what MLH said, try to avoid getting any on the ladder rungs of the stand where you put your hands climbing back down.

from neuman23 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Also try to avoid your bibs and other clothes. might get a little messy.

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I just let it go. Don't want to carry around a bottle full of pee.

from JSTEPHENC wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

At the house my wife had trouble with the deer eating her flowers next to the house. I (jokingly) told her human urine would drive deer away. For weeks she would collect her urine and pour it around her flowers.

The deer continued to eat her flowers and when she realized the joke she killed me in my sleep (at least she wanted to!).

Actually it seemed to attract the deer.

from gman3186 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

some deer may be curious and come in but that old buck knows the deal

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Seriously I don't know how CaptChuck57 can get negative for his pointing out the clearly undersized mouth opening of a regular soda bottle. Not to mention the juggling act that insues if your hands are numb and shaking or god forbid you had too much coffee and you fill her up before you are done. I personally prefered the liter of cola bottles.
But I peed on my hand enough times and the act of carrying my pee out of the woods with me became too much and I now let fly in the woods. Matter of fact got my first bow kill 6 seasons ago with my fly still open.

from jhed67 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I let it go, one guy in our camp routinely goes #2 under his stand and still kills a deer every year.

from Hobob wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Thanks for the tip thats one less item to lug around in the backwoods!

from Edstoresit wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Kathy Etling dicussed this at legnth in her book "Hunting Superbucks", even the debate on the "beans" scene from blazing saddles and the resultant byproproduct. I, like her, decided long ago that uric acid was a main component of all urine and not unique to humans. SO let her fly!

I do, however, believe that dependent on what you consumed for dinner, defacation should be a long way away from your stand. We are meat eaters and that is given away by our scat. If you have ever witnessed a deer encountering fresh coyote scat you understand exactly what I am saying.

from nunyabinis wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

This blog topic came at just the right time. This past Saturday I was sitting in a stand from which I bagged a 10 pointer two weeks ago and I couldn't hold the pee back any longer so I let'r rip. I've been wondering ever since if I screwed up that stand location. Sounds like I'm good to go. WHEW!!!

from Bella wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Wonderful advice! Not for me though, it's tough for girls to pee off tree stands, being setters not pointers. I'll keep holding my water, as they don't make a "Sportsman's Pal" for lady plumbing.

from littlestick wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

A couple of years ago during the Wisconsin gun opener, I had an unually active bladder and had urinated several times from my stand. As the day progressed I had eaten a small candy bar and the wrapper had falled to the ground about 10 feet from where I had urinated. I had a mature buck came under my stand with his nose to the ground, the buck proceeded to push his nose directly through the wet leaves full of my urine and kept right on going. When he reached the candy wrapper he near fell over, he jumped about six feet up the hill and continued on his way looking back at that wrapper as he left the area. I am a firm believer that human urine doesn't bother deer.

from FULLDRAWBOB wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

thanks guys i;m going to let it fly

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I don't think captchuck57 was bragging, he just has bad aim.

from Don Mitchell wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I have been ( letting ) it fly for the past 54 years now, and never had a problem spooking deer.
Bella, you need to get a ground BLIND for SURE.

from country road wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

A heavy duty ziplock bag works well as long as you don't put too much stress on it. It's easy to carry and I empty mine when I get a couple of hundred yards away from my stand.

from nebfrost wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I pee from my tree. I see plenty of nice bucks. I would guess if it were a daily occurrence it might make a difference.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I don't do it I go away from the area, but this may change if
it works for y'all. :)

from seth.weakley wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

No more bottle for me either anymore. Might even try to make a mock scrape and pee in it, see what happens.

from waterdrinker9 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I used to pee in the woods all the time. Then when I started to get into scent control, I would pee when I got out of the truck and only in the woods when I had to go badly. Now I am going to take a piss everywhere in the woods.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I urinate in mock scrapes,near feeders,next to the winter wheat ... anyplace that the deer find favorable.This allows the deer time to become familiar with the scent,and they don't associate it with danger.

When I am in a tree stand, I place the largest flat rock I can find close enough,so when I have to let it fly the flow hits the flat rock like a horse or large deer is doing his duty.

This ploy has produced a few half crazed bucks comin' in lookin' for the relieved pee'er.

from CaptChuck57 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Just so y'all know, my comment was just a light-hearted joke to get through a busy Monday. My apologies if anyone took offense. This really is a very interesting topic.
vtbluegrass - you're right, I have often been accused of poor aim, especially by females going to the head after me!

from deadeyedick wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I don't think it makes much difference now, but deer are going to learn to associate the smell with humans. It may take them quite a while but sooner or later they will. For many years, deer seldom looked up in the trees, but over the years they have learned that danger can come from above.
The rut is really starting to heat up in Ohio. I am seeing a lot of activity along rub lines and scrapes. Deer sightings have also increased. the rut should be in full swing this week and next week Good LUck

from Ricardo Rodríguez wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

So Dr. Hollywood´s girlfriend has been wrong all this time.
That´s a relief.
Have always wondered, if wolves and bears don´t hide their leaks, why would we?
If they leave an area every time they smell predator urine, there would be no place to go.
Anyway, I have tought about making deer associate human urine with food and let it fly around feeders.

from 99explorer wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I didn't know that deer could identify carnivores by the odor of their scat. I wonder now if the "beans" scene from Blazing Saddles would be a similar giveaway.

from j44cal wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Used to walk about 50 yards from my stand when I was a teenager to pee. Noticed that deer would go over and stick their nose down in it and get a good whiff and then start pawing the ground up. Started peeing in scrapes after that. Drove bucks crazy. They would come in grunting and snorting, then tear the ground up and pee on top of it. Always filled my tags that way.

from earlyriser81 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Just let it fly! I think the odor makes deer curious and they come in to investigate.

from Whackdaddy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

If they can detect pheromones in their own urine, I'd think they know ours – at least from time to time, depending on diet. I look at it this way: if I force myself to shower at 3:30 a.m. in scent-free soap, wash my clothes in scent-free detergent every time I go, go through the hassle of dressing in the cold dark November morning and spraying my boots, hat, everything, I'll damn sure do something as simple as piss in a bottle rather than all over the ground. You can give me every anecdote you want, I take my hunt too seriously to base my methods on hearsay and limited experiences. I've seen them not react to my urine on the ground. I've also seen them not react to being directly downwind of me when I took no scent-eliminating precautions. But does that mean either of those things will happen when the buck of a lifetime comes strolling down my creek ditch? I don't know. And I'm not risking it. Good luck piss pots.

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Bella, you might try going to the airport or a pilot supply store and ask for the "Jills John". Or try sporty's.com. You can order one.
Pee away guys. No problem.
As for farting, most seem to sound like a snort or grunt to a deer. Let the wind blow.

from Cheap Shot wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Well, I certainly won't miss carrying that bottle. But am I the only one who used it as a hand warmer on cold days?

from Thomas Murray wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

This may be my favorite Scott Bestul blog. I have been lmao. A friend of mine and I got into this discussion TONIGHT on the phone. I didn't see the blog until after our conversation. I too would like to see some research-the anecdotal stuff is hilarious and interesting (what guy-or Bella-doesn't get a kick out of bodily excretions?) but it doesn't surprise me that most people and some research seems to indicate it has no bearing. The first thing any creature, human or otherwise, will notice when smelling pee that it smells like pee. Closer inspection may reveal that it isn't deer pee, but by that time it may be too late. I may not pee from my stand at deer camp next week, but if I gotta go, I'm gonna make a scrape and see what happens.

from grcarnes wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Just got back from huntin could'nt resist letting her rip on seveal occaisions,like all day. Next day I had a fresh scrape & rub behind my stand. I.m convinced

from Pheasant Hunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I used to worry about this issue, but I forgot my bottle one year and had to go. Walked 15 yards from my stand pissed and went back to the stand. Shot my deer within 10 yards of where I had went. Last year pee'd out of my stand and shot a nice buck day one, and a nice doe day two. The scent hiding folks have a lot of people bushwacked on these ideas is what I think.

from Deepwoods wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

If you're not a horn hunter, and just want meat letting it fly anywhere works too, but don't try this at home!

from allengene c von... wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

JUST LET'ER RIP EVERY TIME I'VE PISSED OUT OF MY STAND SEEN DEER TRUE BELIEVER.

from jtboles wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

If there is a tree, bush, stump, or even a weed near by I let it fly cause why strain your bladder and hold it in, or why try to pee in a bottle when there are plants near by that need a good watering.

from Carol D. wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

It's not as easy for us gals to pee in a bottle...so I never had done it....However there are certain times during the month when my husband thinks my outdoor relief does draw in the bucks...we have hunted together for years and he claims to have had great opportunities as certain times of the month if I am in the stand or blind near him

from coho310 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I don't pay attention to where I wiz.And I read about peeing on mock scrapes in Feild and Stream and it's appearently more economical than buying the bottled stuff.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Also it's better to have an empty bladder when it's cold out because your body wastes alot of heat keeping it warm or else you'd get a bladder infection.

from hawg daddy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

i belive that most hunters have done this a time or two.

from Cheap Shot wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Coho310 said, "I don't pay attention to where I wiz."

If you're married, I'd LOVE to hear your wife's response to that. If you aren't married, I may know why not.

from snipertc_4 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

i have found over the years it "is" better to pee in a bottle,just for the simple fact that i don't want to lower my hunting equipment into wet leaves.so i attached a hose to my pee bottle,run the hose out bout twenty feet from my tree now have a setup that works for me gun or bow.this setup also works for my wife it took a little work for her but she finally got it without fallen out of the stand

from coho310 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Cheap Shot-I mean when I'm hunting(good one though).

from Cheryl Glenn wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Bella has a point. For women, especially with many layers of clothing peeing anywhere in the woods can be problematic.

There is a product on the market called, "P-Mate", that is designed for women to help overcome that problem. They have a website. The product is a collapsible cardboard tube that acts as a funnel.

I own a package of them, but had not been desperate enough to give it a try ( but I don't stand hunt).

For women hunters, you should check it out.

from dave the bowhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

i wouldnt pee out of my tree stand i wouldnt want it all around where i walk or on my tree so a deer could smell it and look up at you sure wouldnt want it on my feet,and most of you old guys cant pee far enough to miss your tree stand,lol,and besides that warm bottle comes in handy some times when your fingers are cold

from dave the bowhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

and the guy with the wide mouth bottle ,why dont ya just use a quart jar then

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Guess I'll have to give this a try. That dang bottle can be noisy in my belt pack and it would free up a little room for another grunt tube, can call, etc.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Buckhunter, wish i knew that because i was holding it forever while in your stand. Otherwise, when i'm in MY stand I let it fly.

from codyboyd wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

i have peed off of my tree stand countless times and yet i've had deer come right up to me.

from deadeye wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Appreciate the import, but, way TMI.
LOL

from Cgull wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I used to carry 2 bottles of water in pee out, now I've graduated to depends, love the warm cozy feeling.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Steve182,

Thanks for not pissing out of my stand. My B-in-law took an 8 point out of it Saturday night.

from Johnb wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

The only thing that has kept me from whizzing off of the stand is the noise factor. I spooked a few does that were bedded near my stand one cold morning. Turning on the hose from 20' up on a frozen leaf bed can be very noisy.

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

to pee or not to pee????? well i pee, and last friday i shot one of the nices bucks that i have seen in a long time, if it was from my pee or just in the right spot at the right time i will never know but what i do know is that he didn't spook from it.

from time2be wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

I never have used a bottle and it seem to have never been a bad thing. I feel relaxed on the stand and see my share of deer.

from Cheap Shot wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

Sorry coho310. That was a "Cheap Shot"! ;-) What can I say. I couldn't pass it up. ;-) (Yeah, I knew what you meant.)

from Cheap Shot wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

All hunters should be conservationists, and for me, that means doing the occasional trip down a ditchline cleaning up litter. More often than you would think, people, mainly truckers, piss in bottles and toss them out. The temptation, when you're hauling a bag of trash, is to dump bottle contents out to lighten your load. Opening one of these "Truck Bombs" can be NASTY and something you don't want to repeat. I never liked dealing with my own bottles much less someone else's. Mine certainly won't be missed.

from kodnocker wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

Go on the ground. you don't want your buddy drinkin what he thinks is mountain dew!

from BrowningBabe wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Well being female I don't have the option of peeing in a bottle but I climb down and pee at the bottom of my tree stand. It didn't interfere with me shooting a buck within the first 2 hours of being there!

from GLASSMAN73 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

It's funny i have killed deer right after taking care of business, but i was on the ground and i dug a small hole, did my thing covered it up and used scent blocker.In a stand never have i let it fly..It's just not worth the chance in my opinion so i use a hot water bottle, it's plyable and makes no crunching noise going to or from the stand.And it fits in cargo pocket perfectly while you get to a good spot to drain it,I would advise draining it 100yrds or so from your stand in a simular fashion explained above....GLASSMAN73....PS This is for stand use only and should be drained properly A.S.A.P.You need to remember it's made of rubber and if you hit the ground and head off over the hill with a full bottle a bryer patch could give you a real problem...

from donaldc5166 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

I have always used a bottle actually a Ol'Man treestand urine bag every time I hunted in a tree stand. On the ground I usually dig out a hole w/my boot and cover up real well w/dirt and a bunch of leaves. Few times I did not when I was hunting w/dogs, everyone said scent doesn't even matter b/c the deer are moving and don't give a crap about any scent w/dogs chasing them. Seems to work when I use a urine bag. However, I have had an instance where I urinated on the ground very close to where my climber was, I was careful about burying it in dirt and leaves. The deer walked right by it and didn't get spooked. Not sure if this was b/c I buried it well or they just weren't bothered by it.

from Dhoovak wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

One more comfort in the woods! I totally agree. One less thing to think about, one less thing to carry and remember, and probably one more thing to attract the deer. Just remember ... keep the movement slow - it's usually the movement, not the pee odor that spooks the deer.

from REMansfield wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

my experience is it depends on the status of the Rut; deer seem bothered more by scents before the rut sets in.

during the rut, pee does not seem to bother them at all.

i use the pee bottle regardless; why mess with the wind.

from kenban wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago

Oh that's so not right. Larry@ bladder infection symptoms

from Tracy Wills Foraker wrote 28 weeks 3 days ago

My son has degree in Biology and is an educator at a animal preservation and states animals mark their territories with their urine and can distinguish one scent from another and unless is from their species, will stay away from that location. He asked what everyone is smoking who says it doesn't matter. lol lol

from E.J.H wrote 24 weeks 3 days ago

Great question, as buck hunter said pee away, it does not phase them. Sometimes it lures them in.

from E.J.H wrote 24 weeks 3 days ago

from bird1982 wrote 24 weeks 2 days ago

I’ve never had a good or bad experience on deer from peeing in the woods, but do take precautions now a days. What makes the most sense to me is how some biologists explains it. They believe being there is other predators in the woods such as , cougar, wolf, coyote, fox, bobcat exc. That deer are familiar with predator urine and don’t necessary avoid an area because of it. They claim the exception to the rule is truly your biggest and smartest bucks that roam your woods. They are the ones that know how to survive and would be effected by it. So in my case I feel anything I can do to prevent human scent the better. So whether it helps or hurts, the one thing everyone can agree on, is it’s a urine from an animal that doesn’t live in the woods and therefore will have a different odor

from Jay R. Portwood wrote 24 weeks 2 days ago

I am an avid hunter and for as long as I have been hunting I have always been told to be very aware of you sent. What you touch, were you walk, were you pee ect... but to be honest with you it's mostly a be at the right place at the right time thing for me. Now I'm not saying that sent will not play a part of your hunt because I believe it dose but I go when I have to go. I tried this several years ago. I would take a apiece of a branch and find a nice over hanging tree make a mock scrap below it after witch I would stand back and let it fly right into that scrap I had just made with my own to hands an a branch from a near by tree. now I will tell you this, me and the local buck that was running around them parts had us a round about as to who's turf this really belong to. That buck would come in guessing after dark or on the days I had to work. And would cover up my scrap and made one of his own 5' from were I had put mine down. We fought back a forth with this for about a week each time I would pee in my scrap as did he.But he made the fetal error by coming in to check out just who was causing him this trouble and invading his area. It was around 8:40 am when he top the hill wear at the base of that hill I was waiting. The scrap was down wind of me and that buck was a real nice 8 point. I grunted at him 1 time and he wasted no time in getting down there and headed straight for the mock scrap to find that intruder that was peeing around his turf. As he got to the scrap he was 25 yards away I dropped him with my bow 1/4 away shot right at my mock scrap.
thanks J.P Michigan

from Gary Larson wrote 23 weeks 5 days ago

I usually just take boots and scrape up a hole, pee in the hole and then cover it up. Maybe I'll just let it fly from now on.

from Eric Yanco wrote 23 weeks 4 days ago

I think yer all missin' a really good point here... all that's been discussed is when you get the urge to take a leak. Why wait? Why not bottle the stuff up at home and bring some in with you. That way if you don't have benign hyperplasia and have to pee every 10 minutes, you'll have a bottle and can get that free deer attractant out right away. ;)

from Bioguy01 wrote 23 weeks 2 days ago

I think a lot of hunters are under the assumption that deer associate the smell of urine with danger and avoidance of that smell is instinctual, which may not be the case at all. I mean if you think about it, most of the time when a deer encounters urine, conditions are completely safe (the animal has passed through and simply left a message behind), so why would they have a reason to be afraid? Think about it like this...if you encounter a pile of bear poop in the woods, how do you react? Do you leave the area immediately? Heck no. You might slow down and become a little more aware of your surroundings, but it doesn't send you off running. Same concept, different species.

from Gary Boothe wrote 22 weeks 6 days ago

peeing is okay,The thing to watch for is if you take medications,we as humans eat and drink just like all animals,but animals such as the ones we hunt don't take meds,so I encourage those who take medications to use a bottle or bladder,because I am certain that medications,alcohol etc.. can,and will change the smell of human urine,and create enough difference in smell to make an old buck leary...

from Jay Rogers wrote 21 weeks 6 days ago

I peed in a bottle last season and threw it out in front of my stand. 2hrs later a 4pt buck came to investigate. After a well placed shot with my .270 from 40' I was dragging him 2 my truck!

from Jay Rogers wrote 21 weeks 6 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from borediis21 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

and to "captchuck57" the guys who always brag have the smallest package lol

from MLH wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I don't think captchuck57 was bragging, he just has bad aim.

from hunterboy56 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from jlstrader wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from -Bob wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Big O wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

WAS a "bottle-baby" now it's "LET ER' FLY"

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from CaptChuck57 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Whackdaddy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

never used a bottle. never will.

from GiantWhitetails wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Matt
theoutdoorfever.com

from IsaiahB wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Jerry A. wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Edstoresit wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Don Mitchell wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Bella, you need to get a ground BLIND for SURE.

from deadeyedick wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from j44cal wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Cheap Shot wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Cheap Shot wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Coho310 said, "I don't pay attention to where I wiz."

from Bryan01 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

You mean I've been skipping my coffee before going out for no valid reason?

from shane wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from rampageingapes wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from neuman23 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Also try to avoid your bibs and other clothes. might get a little messy.

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I just let it go. Don't want to carry around a bottle full of pee.

from JSTEPHENC wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Actually it seemed to attract the deer.

from gman3186 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

some deer may be curious and come in but that old buck knows the deal

from jhed67 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Hobob wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Thanks for the tip thats one less item to lug around in the backwoods!

from nunyabinis wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from FULLDRAWBOB wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

thanks guys i;m going to let it fly

from country road wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from nebfrost wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I don't do it I go away from the area, but this may change if
it works for y'all. :)

from seth.weakley wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from waterdrinker9 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Ricardo Rodríguez wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

So Dr. Hollywood´s girlfriend has been wrong all this time.
That´s a relief.
Have always wondered, if wolves and bears don´t hide their leaks, why would we?

from 99explorer wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from earlyriser81 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Pee away guys. No problem.

from Thomas Murray wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from grcarnes wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Pheasant Hunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Deepwoods wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from allengene c von... wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

JUST LET'ER RIP EVERY TIME I'VE PISSED OUT OF MY STAND SEEN DEER TRUE BELIEVER.

from jtboles wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from coho310 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from coho310 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from coho310 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Cheap Shot-I mean when I'm hunting(good one though).

from Cheap Shot wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from kodnocker wrote 4 years 20 weeks ago

from CaptChuck57 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

20 oz bottles don't work for me....I need those wide-mouthed powerade bottles!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

??? O"REALLY!

from CorieSquared wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

CaptChuck57

Dream on, buckwheat!

PS: I did not give you any of the -1's you received! LOL

from Carol D. wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from hawg daddy wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

i belive that most hunters have done this a time or two.

from snipertc_4 wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from Cheryl Glenn wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

For women hunters, you should check it out.

from dave the bowhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from dave the bowhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

and the guy with the wide mouth bottle ,why dont ya just use a quart jar then

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from codyboyd wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from deadeye wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Appreciate the import, but, way TMI.
LOL

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

Steve182,

from Johnb wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from stickbow13 wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from time2be wrote 4 years 22 weeks ago

from Cheap Shot wrote 4 years 21 weeks ago

from BrowningBabe wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from GLASSMAN73 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from donaldc5166 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

from Dhoovak wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

from REMansfield wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

during the rut, pee does not seem to bother them at all.

i use the pee bottle regardless; why mess with the wind.

from kenban wrote 2 years 50 weeks ago