Brit Boys Convicted Of Killing Baby Deer Escape Jail

Whitetail 365

December 17, 2009

Brit Boys Convicted Of Killing Baby Deer Escape Jail

By Dave Hurteau

From the Daily Mail:

Two 17-year-old boys who kicked a fawn to death in a 'barbaric attack' escaped jail yesterday. . . .

During their trial, the boys, from Poole, Dorset, claimed that the six-week-old deer had
already broken its leg and that they were simply putting it out of its misery.

But Keith Arthurs, 52, who witnessed the attack as he walked his dog in Upton Country Park, told Poole Youth Court how the boys had been 'joking and laughing' during the attack. . . .

But despite being told that it was likely the animal had ' suffered greatly', a judge said he would not bow to 'public abhorrence' and jail the boys. . . .

'Neither has a criminal background. It was nasty and never should have happened. But it won't be imprisonment.'

More Whitetail Headlines:

PETA Vilifies Venison Donators

Ohio Hunters Set For Bonus Gun Season

Utah’s Road-Killed Deer May Outnumber Hunter Harvest

Colorado Mule Deer Decorates Antlers with Christmas Lights

San Fran Helicopter Pilot Rescues Stuck Deer

from earlyriser81 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Yeah that makes sense. You know Charles Manson didn't have a criminal record at his first offense either? Such violence towards animals at a young age is a sign of problems both now, and to come. If these youths are not imprisoned they need some type of disciplinary action and counseling most defintely.

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Maybe Pink will send these guys a letter.

from seadog wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

These kids aren't going to learn their lesson from this if they get away with a slap on the wrist. It seems the Brit's priotities are a little skewed. They can't own guns so self defense is discouraged, but brutality is treated with leniency.

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

scary stuff i have heard that animal brutality is the first step on the road to human brutality. I remember when i was younger my friends and I came across a hurt bird and our first thought was to take it to the vet and get it help not kick and stomp it to "put it out of its misery". these boys need counseling.

from jjas wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Why do I have a feeling these two will be back in the news in the not so distant future?

And I wonder if this Judge will regret his decision @ that time?

from Xtremebowhunter wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I can think of a whole hell of a lot more ways to put a deer out of its misery a lot faster than kicking it to death. I think the little pricks should have had some jail time along with a few thousand dollars in fines and that might make them change their minds next time. (there probably will be a next time since there wasnt any punishment.)And as far as the judge, he isnt any different than them. He has probably done the same kinda things before. He just has a name for himself.

from huntingkid95 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

What those boys did was cruel. They should of been put in jail or fined. Just visualizing those boys laughing and kicking a fawn is very sad. It probably isn't the first time those boys have abused animals, and it probably isn't the last. I woudln't be suprised I saw them on the news in the future either. But next time, they might do it to a person.

from coho310 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

That's poaching and animal cruelty right there, when we hunters take an animal, we end its life fast and painlessly, and use it to sustain ourselves. These guys on the other hand, totured to death it while laughing and joking in some sick game.

from deaddiver wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

shoot to kill!!!!

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

That's the MTV crowd for'ya!

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

peta is against the ethical feeding of humans. stupid people. As for the kids kicking the deer to death i would kill a animal in misery but they went about it in the wrong way. utah is heading in the right direction. i wish wisconsin would do that.

from Bryan01 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I like the last paragraph in the Washington Post article about Donating Venison and the complaints from PETA and HSUS. It sums up the situation quite well:

Higgs donated 20 doe last season, most of them shot with his compound bow and three-blade arrows. Told that animal rights activists consider bowhunting especially cruel, Higgs replied, "How many hungry people do they feed?"

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

I wonder how many people would have been outraged if these boys had been jailed over this extremely foul incident.

We're not told what the punishment was. We're not told they were slapped on the wrist and let go. I imagine that, seeing how jail was on the table as an option, there were other serious options available to the judge. For all we know, the boys got serious punishment and a comprehensive community service obligation.

I don't think boys with a clean record should automatically get jail. There are alternatives that should be explored first. If they do something similar in the future, well, that's a different story.

And in my opinion, some of the responses above could have come straight from the European elite.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from jamesti wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

if jail was an option they should have at least gotten one day, maybe even three. noone said lock them up for good but at least long enough to send a message. as far as doing something similar in the future, it's not a different story. it's the continuation of this one where they wern't taught a lesson. when they do something like that to another kid or a pet, then it will be too late.

from T.W. Davidson wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

All:

I'm a criminal defense attorney. But I'm also an animal lover and sportsman. A big believer in being as humane as humanly possible to the game we hunt, if we hunt at all. Nothing makes me more ill than to see an animal suffer at the hands of human cruelty, or stupidity, or laziness or ignorance. This is never acceptable.

The little future Charlie Mansons mentioned in the story above should have been locked up in jail or juvie. They should still be there, and stay there for a long time.

Here's the unvarnished, not politically correct truth: The judge was a p*ssy, and society, in a few years, will suffer from these boys-turned-monsters, at least in part because of the judge's cowardice and refusal to teach those boys a hard-earned and deeply painful lesson here. In my view, by his actions the judge just encouraged the boys to go out and grow far worse than they already are. This isn't justice, and that future outcome will serve no one.

Too bad for the deer. Too bad for all of us.

TWD

from jdg8053 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

i totally agree with you T.W. my son broke a window out of a car and served 15 months stste jail, also has to pay restitution.... he had never gave the laws any trouble before either. But, i will tell you this he WILL NOT be breaking any more windows. I can't understand why some people can get by with so much and others nothing!

from cindypiep wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Sounds to me like this judge is scared of something.
They should be jailed, and with that a comprehensive
psychiatric evaluation! cindy pieplow, britt, iowa
PS. Jeffrey Dahmer started out killing dogs!

from stick wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

i have 2 acres behind my house and i am twelve do all the work my self and i need tips on how to draw deer to my set ups.... the brush is thick and i found a small clearing where i hung a ladder stand with a small food plot and a tater pile beside a small watering hole that is clearly used alot but ive never seen a deer from it there is a scrape appr. 20 yds from my stand. any ideas.... my other setup is a blind on a DESERTED dirt bike path that hasnt been used in well over two years, so the ground is very mushy perfect for food plots with cornpiles... PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO DRAW DEER TO MY SETUPS....i forgot to mention that i am twelve and each stand is within two hundred yards of my north carolina home

from Koel wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Criminals.. who in the right mind would do that? these kids are sick!! if i saw that happen i would have gave those kids a beating of a lifetime, and technically it wouldn't be illegal because I'm only 16. this article pissed me off.

from Casey Bridges wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

This kind of act is revolting. This is the kind of things that is hurting our privelage as hunters to hunt. Yes it is only a privlage and not a right. So we the people need to be wary and help prosicute those who are putting a bad mark on hunters as just ruthless killers and not conservationists and make a stand to this..

from whitetailkjf wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

so wrong how could you bring yourself to that level?!

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Maybe Pink will send these guys a letter.

from earlyriser81 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

And I wonder if this Judge will regret his decision @ that time?

from Xtremebowhunter wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from huntingkid95 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

That's the MTV crowd for'ya!

from coho310 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from deaddiver wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

shoot to kill!!!!

from Bryan01 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from T.W. Davidson wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

All:

Too bad for the deer. Too bad for all of us.

TWD

from Koel wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from jdg8053 wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from cindypiep wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Sounds to me like this judge is scared of something.
They should be jailed, and with that a comprehensive
psychiatric evaluation! cindy pieplow, britt, iowa
PS. Jeffrey Dahmer started out killing dogs!

from stick wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

from Casey Bridges wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

from whitetailkjf wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

so wrong how could you bring yourself to that level?!

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago