Chad Love: Would You Pay $25,000 for a Piece of Wood?

Field Notes

January 06, 2010

Chad Love: Would You Pay $25,000 for a Piece of Wood?

By Chad Love

Keeping in line with today's theme of outrageous prices paid for extremely rare rare items (see Merwin’s post on the $177,000 bluefin tuna), I came across this item  while perusing one of my favorite bird-hunting sites, Upland Journal this morning.

From the website you can see that these are some seriously impressive slabs. But are they worth $25,000? I don't know, but I do know I'd rather pay 25 grand for a gorgeous piece of wood than $177,000 for a slab of raw fish.

My first question is: how much would you pay for a piece of good stock wood? My second question is: can anyone tell me what a "butt flitch" is?

from rudyglove27 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

No, I will not pay 25,000 for that piece of wood..
If I have the money, I'm still not going to spend 25,000 for that wood!!!

from jeffo52284 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

maybe if i was rich instead of so damn good looking. i love working with wood and probably would pay 25000 if i was a millionaire

from Dann wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

If you paid 25k and knew what you were going to use it for i.e. (stocks, furniture etc), you'd make that back and more. That kind of hardwood walnut is just not found in the US anymore, very rare.

A butt flitch is a lengthwise cut from the fat end of the tree (butt), near the base.

from victorytw228 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

If yall are thinking about buying it, I will get you 5 cords of wood and drive anywhere in lower 48 for 25000!

from jjas wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I bet Petzal would ;),,,,,,,,

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

High-quality walnut is driving people crazy these days. A business acquaintance owns a mall with a huge walnut (crown is about 100 feet) that is 80-100 years old. He was offerred $100,000 for the entire tree by a broker with a customer who wants the tree for firearm stocks. The tree serves as the central part of the mall and there are benches and tables there, where patrons gather for lunch, etc. The answer was "No, thank you."

Somehow word got out about this tree, and since then (about 2 years ago) he has had 10-inch diameter limbs cut off and stolen from this tree, probably from someone who thinks they are going to make themself a real fancy stock.

The world is going MAD!

from RichardF wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

If I had a million dollars I would pay $25,000 for the wood if it came with the remainder for two custom rifles attached and already assembled. But just for the wood NO!

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

"...how much would you pay for a piece of good stock wood?"

I'm SO HAPPY you didn't say it this way:

"...how much would you pay for a piece of wood stock?"

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I would buy it and hire a broker to solicit bids from Purdey, Beretta and others to make a chit load!

from chadlove wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I'm shoving a couple splits of what once was dead-standing black walnut in the stove as I type these words. Oh the inhumanity!

But hey, man, it's cold outside. A badly-cracked factory walnut stock off a Model 700 BDL is next if the temps keep dropping...

To answer my own question: if I had the means, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I am, have always been and will always remain a complete sucker for pretty wood. I've been known to go to the lumber yard and dig through their hardwood lumber just to find pieces with a little figure.

I recently found some gorgeous curly maple this way that will will eventually end up as knife scales, a chessboard or something...

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

The price is relative to how many objects are made from the slab, and then their sale price.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Nice Slab. Maybe he payed so much because there is a picture of his beloved German Sheppard in the woodgrain?...if you turn it 90 deg. counterclockwise, or is it a wolf?

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I worked on a house where the stairs into the basement (one flight) were in walnut and cost £12,500 ($20,017) in wood alone! That piece looks like a bargain. Seriously.
SBW

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

It's all firewood to me.

from streack wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I would easily shell out $25K for that slab of wood. There is a very prominent stock maker a few miles down the road that had a piece of wood in his safe for $2,500; that was just for the stock, not including the forearm for the Perazzi MX8 he was working on. Good wood, like that above, is worth a lot of money to the right people. Sometimes you have to look past the obvious, it's just a piece of wood, and think of the investment possibilities that it holds.

from bigjake wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

WOW....I though bird eye maple was expensive stuff but this takes the cake.

from curt88 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

wood, tuna and whatever else comes up on this site for being ridiculously expensive are all high value commodities and investments, the people buying these things all fully intend to make well more than what they paid for them enough said, if i had the means to engage in this i would and i bet i would get a better return on it than several other investment options

from MLH wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Sure, if I could turn it over quickly and double or triple my return.

For gun stocks, I still prefer straight grain American or English Walnut. Strong and I don't worry about dinging it up.

from Brittle wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

i wouldnt buy it. were would you keep it anyways
thats stupid $25,000 for a gigantic piece of WOOD

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from 86Ram wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Sure there's earning potential in so many ways...
Gunstocks
Plaques
Mounts (picture a european mount or shoulder mount, fish or Turkey tail fan, spurs and beard with that as it's back ground)
Lets not forget Game Calls (Custom)
Walnut makes some sweet calls.

Drooling over the possibilities... $$$$$$$$$$

from Hunter Savage wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

oh yes i would pay that much by the time said wood is cut and processed it will be worth a mint . all but the most minuscule scrap and saw dust on that slab is carrying a very hefty price tag $$$$$$$$$$$.

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Cooner : even saw dust has value as shipping material for delicate items or items that don't react with wood cellulose or paper manufacturing or as tinder for a wood stove.

Miniscule scrap could be used as stove wood and save you $$

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I forgot walnut tables ... think about it if a 1 qt burl bowl can go for $40 -$100 dollars due to character... think of what this would bring as an all wood dining table and chair set or used to make hutches, beds, coffee and end tables.

from Hunter Savage wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

by the way that flitch will more than likely be turned in to car dash boards or interiors on high end cars . or perhaps fancy furniture . flitching is horizontal veneering done with a saw as opposed to . more traditional spin veneering where the log is basically turned down on a giant lath , like you would unroll a roll of tape . that flitch is from the butt log as you can see the angle of the felling notch in it shape .and if i am reading the scaler,s crayon right, scales out at 123 board feet .show me the money baby

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

It's just a chunk of wood, and stocks these days are mainly from kevlar and fiberglass, or plastic. It's only worth that much to a dumb bunny!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

If you build gun stocks you would get more than your money back on that piece of wood.

from tbogg10 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

ya id buy it if i didnt have to worry about money, i enjoy woodworking, and building things. im probably going to start working on a nice gun cabinet with my dad.

from matt wasson wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

i think it looks purty! how many what evers can I make to make 25k into more then 100k!??

from Bella wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Awesome piece o tree. Sliced into wafer thin veneer, that chunk could easily reap a profit with that piece of wood for the right woodworker (not me). My woodcarving efforts don't rate that expensive a grade of raw material.

from buckslayer911 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

if i was a millionare i would buy it i have a thing for pretty wood im only 16 and my buddy next to me thinks im crazy

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I'd pay fifty bucks for a slab of wood like that. "Butt flinch" is when you're working on a construction site and someone entirely too fat and in need of suspenders gives you a vision that makes you want to have your memory erased.

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I know a guy here in Id that builds stocks and a AA walnut blank will run anywhere from $600 to $2000 and ad another $3000 to 5000 for him to build the stock. I asked him to restock one of my M12s and he told me it be cheaper to buy a pidgeon grade but he does awsome work if you have the money.

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

could most definitely turn a piece of wood like that into a profit.. I'd be all for it.. and get myself a nice blank for myself while I'm at it.

from wingshooter54 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

What an absolutely stunning piece of wood. If I had 25,000 to spare, (which is highly unlikely with a son in college) would I spend it on walnut? You bet; if Miss January came with the wood. Otherwise, I would probably buy a couple of Merkel sxs & O/U with drop dead gorgeous stocks. I am a complete sucker for pretty wood. I prefer it to engraving. I recently bought a 16 ga. sxs that has 2 1/2" chambers (damn, now I have to order short shells) because it had beautiful English walnut.

from Sportsman21 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

not in a million years would i pay for that

from 1885 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

It belong on a gun but I would be afraid to use it

from Jerry A. wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I aagree with Bella; most likely they will be made into veneers for high end furniture. Which would net much more money than your initial investment.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

i would buy it and make a gun cabinet first and then a fly tying desk.

from streack wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from bigjake wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

WOW....I though bird eye maple was expensive stuff but this takes the cake.

from Dann wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

I bet Petzal would ;),,,,,,,,

from chadlove wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

SBW

from curt88 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Sure there's earning potential in so many ways...
Gunstocks
Plaques
Lets not forget Game Calls (Custom)
Walnut makes some sweet calls.

Drooling over the possibilities... $$$$$$$$$$

from Hunter Savage wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from idduckhntr wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from rudyglove27 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

No, I will not pay 25,000 for that piece of wood..
If I have the money, I'm still not going to spend 25,000 for that wood!!!

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

The world is going MAD!

from RichardF wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from Woodstock wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

"...how much would you pay for a piece of good stock wood?"

I'm SO HAPPY you didn't say it this way:

"...how much would you pay for a piece of wood stock?"

from RJ Arena wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

It's all firewood to me.

from MLH wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

Sure, if I could turn it over quickly and double or triple my return.

from Hunter Savage wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from 1885 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

It belong on a gun but I would be afraid to use it

from Jerry A. wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

from Sportsman21 wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago

not in a million years would i pay for that

from jamesti wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

i would buy it and make a gun cabinet first and then a fly tying desk.

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 14 weeks ago