Coyote Hunter Bags Wolf In Ohio

Field Notes

March 23, 2010

Coyote Hunter Bags Wolf In Ohio

By Dave Hurteau

From the Toledo Blade:

"I spotted what I thought was a coyote in a field about 200 yards from the school," said…28-year-old [Dustin] Gore. He wheeled around and headed home where he grabbed his varmint rifle….

Gore shot the beast and went to retrieve it on a three-wheeler. "I didn't realize it was a wolf when I shot. I thought it was an exceptionally large coyote." Gore took it to Bellevue taxidermist Brian Weider, who in turn notified Brian Bury, state game protector in Sandusky County.

Bury confirmed that the animal indeed was a wolf…. Scott Butterworth, wildlife management supervisor for Ohio Wildlife District 2,…noted Ohio has no rule that protects wolves, and no prohibition against shooting them.

from dighunter wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

We have wolves here?? Oh god, please don't let the activists find out.

from VAHunter540 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

We will see more and more of this over the coming years. There can be little doubt that there is a small but healthy population of wolves that are moving east. There are already unconfirmed reports all over the east and north east.

from jakenbake wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Why do newspapers seem to revert to hyperbole whenever possible? A "beast"? Really? I mean, technically, sure, all animals are "beasts," but the way that's written sure does make it seem dramatic, doesn't it?

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I will have to head out to Western KS maybe?

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

There we go! Now if we can just lure all the wolves to Ohio you guys can take em down because there is no law prohibiting it!!

from silsbyj wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Moishe,
You are probably more likely to get a shot at a mountain lion out there. Havnt heard any wolf reports....yet!

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Most Ohio and Indiana counties do not have an exotic pet law which a wolf is classified under. This animal was probably someones pet and turned loose for whatever reason,became too wild and aggresive, couldn't afford the feed it ... the reasons go on and on.

Worst yet, is if this wolf was a hybrid,(part dog,part wolf)it will have lost it's natural fear of man and when provoked or hungry could attack an unsuspecting victim or child.

I seriously doubt this wolf left the northern plains to reside in Ohio!

from matouse3 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

2Poppa,
We have quite a few in MI, wouldn't be that far to travel.

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

They got a picture of one in N.Illinois last week.Are they running out of rabbits up north?

from MLH wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I (and many others - they were photographed) saw two wolves about 25 miles north of Detroit a few years back, but I still wonder if those were "domesticated" wolves that got loose. Might be the same for the one in Ohio. Maybe not. But who would expect to see a wolf in Ohio? Glad they don't have any laws there that would have got this guy into trouble.

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I understand how a wolf, especially in open terrain at a long distance, could be mistakenly identified as a coyote. Plus, if he shot the wolf at 200 yards, great shot. Not impossible but still a challenging shot on a moving animal. Lets not forget this, that we have a coyote population that is out-of-control because of the loss of Wolves. Wolves are predators of coyotes and keep their #'s in check. A healthy wolf population means a healthy coyote population. I understand the threat of livestock predation. But there is a happy medium somewhere. I would love to be able to hunt a wolf ever now and then. But a viable population is a necessity for that to happen.

from 007 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I heard from a rather reliable source that large wild canines, too large for coyotes or big domestic dogs, have been seen in the Dolly Sods and Mt. Storm, WV areas, so who knows? Sarge, hear anything about that?

from NolanOsborne wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

MLH, We have wolves, coyotes, bears and cougars in Ontario, though most of the wolves are a bit north of me. Even though we "supposedly" don't have wolves in my area, I saw one on a winters day while walking the woods close to my home.
Looked exactly like this

People often walk their dogs in those areas, and I mistook it for a giant black german shepard at first. We were about 40 yards apart in a clearing. We both stared at each other for a good 5 minutes, and then he put his head down and trotted off, and i stood there for a few minutes, and realized that it was neither a dog nor a coyote..

from MLH wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

It must have been 5 years ago. I was deer hunting in northern Michigan. I drew my bow on what I thought was a coyote. It was not. I let my bow down and it disappeared. That is the only wolf I have seen in the wild. There is a $1,000 fine, loss of license, and possible jail time associated with killing a wolf here. When Michigan opens a season I will get a tag.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Most of what crosses the border from Michigan to Ohio gets its butt kicked and set back to Michigan with their tail between their legs. Mainly its wolverines. lol

from buckeye wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Great post buckhunter got to love them Buckeyes.

from NolanOsborne wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

They are open season in Ontario, but rarely see them. My uncle got one this year in muzzleloader season for deer.

from Andrew Ferraro wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

NICE SHOT!

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

On noontime news today wolves were verified in Cheboygan county in Michigan. Thats in the top of the mitten below the bridge. Must be they came accross on the ice to avoid paying the bridge toll. Doesn't surprise me at all about wolves in Ohio, it's not like they read the stay out signs. Hey-- I hear the gay community likes the Buckeyes too!, they are such a fragrant frilly little flower that all the gay couples getting married are wearing them in their hair like Ohio State football players wear them on their helmets.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from fisherman wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I was recently picking up my goose from the taxidermist in SE Minnesota, and he showed me a wolf he was working on shot recently near there. I've heard a few other instances of the same thing happening around here as well. It can be expected--they're prone to migrating.

from shane wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

This is pretty wild. Never would have guessed. Would like to know for sure if this is a drifter or a former pet. Wouldn't mind a shot at one either.

from BowtechWVU wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Thats not a surprise alot of great lake states wolves are moving east due to human encroachment and avaible food resources

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I've heard of a Timer wolf that was shot near spalding Nebraska. Not sure if it's true or not. But I some animals will travel a good ways.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Maybe that timer wolf caught a train lol.

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

If you go to "Toledo Blade" web site and click on "Columnists", then to "Steve Pollick", there is a photo of said wolf.

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from silsbyj wrote 1 day 9 hours ago

Moishe,

I saw some tracks of a cougar near Atchison this winter.

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Too far Walt, the comment from the buckeye fans were tasteful. Yours was not.

from Mike Plotner wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

cool whait till my sister the anti here bout this so if htere no law that says i cant shoot one that means i can?

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Don't do it until you talk to your local state agency.

from UNDERGROUNDWOLF wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

It is hard to beleve that this guy could not know that he was not aiming at a coyote.
Did he even have permission to hunt where he was at, and did he shoot out the window of his vehicle?
I would bet that some laws were broken here.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

no laws prohibiting the shooting of wolves in that state?! that has to be the only state like that. one lucky guy there.

from grant77 wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

Good thing there are no laws against shooting wolves there.

from Elly_mae wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

When my husband & I lived in waynesville,Ohio, on 7 acres of woods. Growing up in TN and hunting since I was 6, I thought coyotes were small & seemed afraid of ppl. But after I had my son, his window was open one night. I saw n heard these coyotes, && they were not small. I could have sworn it was a pack of wolves. Either way they weren't afraid of humans to b so close. The next morning I saw tracks from our back yard, right passed my sons window and down the drive. I think us Hunter's need to get the scared back in them. Just my personal opinion. :)

from waugie08 wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

while hunting in ohio durning the first week of deer gun season me and a few buddys have been seeing a wolf and have had many friends that have had dogs and cats attacked in the area which may or may not have been coyotes too, but none the less one occurance of this wolf hurting a dog baddly. not wanting to see any one get hurt or any more animals i made the decision that weather it was a full blooded wolf or not it had to be shoot. we have many animals on my farm and he was only 2 miles from the farm when i pulled the trigger. does anyone know how i can have it tested to see what percentage of wolf it is, i have already talked to the division of wildlife and the game warden in my area and have not yet got an answer on what i can do maybe feild and stream can help me since you have so many readers and sportsman that can help the only answer i have got was it is a wolf and the closest to full blooded that they have seen in this area. please help feild and stream

from mgrutter wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

I also saw a large wolf in Meigs Co. in Southern Ohio, not far from the Athens Co. line. I know we have coyotes down here, because I see them all the time, however this was about three times larger than a coyote.

from predator_one_s_one_k wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

About a week ago I had a wolf cross the road about 30 yards ahead of me (Ross co).
I have put down several coyotes over the years, this was no coyote.
At least twice the size in all areas, it was either chasing something that crossed before I arrived or being chased.
From a yard, hit the road one time and into the field.
This is a very old thread, if you happen to see one.... send it to southern Ohio, my 25-06 is a little "overkill" on the coyotes, the flat shooting distance is worth the damage.
Quite a few here have mange and are purely predator kills anyways.

from James Leroy Sie... wrote 22 weeks 5 days ago

The gray wolf is an endangered species and a keystone predator. Its scientific name is Canis lupus. Wolves can thrive in an array of habitats, including habitats in which wolves can thrive reflects their adaptability as grasslands, tundra, taiga, and mountains. In 2011, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service delisted gray wolves from the endangered and threatened list in the State of Ohio. This species will continue to be monitored for a minimum of five years in order to assess their ability to sustain.
Reference:
ecos.fws.gov

from jscottevans wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I seriously doubt this wolf left the northern plains to reside in Ohio!

from dighunter wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

We have wolves here?? Oh god, please don't let the activists find out.

from jakenbake wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Robert Ewing wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from NolanOsborne wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Looked exactly like this

from fisherman wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from VAHunter540 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from silsbyj wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Moishe,

from matouse3 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

2Poppa,
We have quite a few in MI, wouldn't be that far to travel.

from 007 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from buckeye wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Great post buckhunter got to love them Buckeyes.

from NolanOsborne wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Andrew Ferraro wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

NICE SHOT!

from BowtechWVU wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from huskerguy wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Maybe that timer wolf caught a train lol.

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Too far Walt, the comment from the buckeye fans were tasteful. Yours was not.

from grant77 wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

Good thing there are no laws against shooting wolves there.

from waugie08 wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I will have to head out to Western KS maybe?

from shane wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from silsbyj wrote 1 day 9 hours ago

Moishe,

I saw some tracks of a cougar near Atchison this winter.

from Mike Plotner wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

from spartan88 wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

Don't do it until you talk to your local state agency.

from UNDERGROUNDWOLF wrote 4 years 3 weeks ago

I would bet that some laws were broken here.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 39 weeks ago

from Elly_mae wrote 3 years 36 weeks ago

from mgrutter wrote 2 years 45 weeks ago

from predator_one_s_one_k wrote 24 weeks 5 days ago

I have put down several coyotes over the years, this was no coyote.
From a yard, hit the road one time and into the field.
Quite a few here have mange and are purely predator kills anyways.

from James Leroy Sie... wrote 22 weeks 5 days ago