Some Last-Minute Reminders

The Gun Nuts

November 19, 2010

Some Last-Minute Reminders

By David E. Petzal

A few mornings ago, despite wind gusts of 30 mph, I took my Nosler 6.5/284 to the range to check its zero so that I can go to Maine and freeze for a week. The first shot, out of a clean barrel, went precisely where it should. I mean, precisely. The second shot went through the hole made by the first. I let out a senile cackle of pure joy, packed up my stuff, and left. Treasure moments like these. They make up for all the times when your bullets are flying everywhere but where they should.

Remember when you are on stand that it is not all right to read or sleep. Every big deer that I’ve killed from a stand was going somewhere in a hurry, and I saw them for only a few seconds. If you’re engrossed in "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm," you’ll never know you had a visitor. If you fall asleep, dream that you are naked and being snapped with a wet rat-tail towel by Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton. This will bring you awake gibbering with such terror that you will not fall asleep again that day.

Turn your damned scope down to 4X. Right now. Do it.

Don’t dither when faced with the decision to shoot or not to shoot. If you want an eating deer, so be it. If you want to hold out for something to hang on the wall, you should have a very good idea of what you’re looking for before your finger goes near the trigger. You will have only a few seconds to shoot or not shoot, and you have to do your deciding beforehand.

from 007 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Dave, naked with Hillary??? Sometimes I worry about you, have your meds been adjusted lately? haha. Good points here. Good hunting.

from Jason Hart wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Awesome advice here. However I am going to have nightmares thinking of a naked Hillary!

from MJC wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

6.5/284 seems to be worthy of lusting over... maybe doing so will help repel that Hillary image.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

i think i need therapy now.

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

I'd rather be naked with Hillary than naked with Obama. Both are unsettling though

from Dcast wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

I finally figured out the bags under the eyes of Bill & Hillary Clinton! Bill has bags because he sees Hillary naked before bed and can't get to sleep & Hillary sees the same right after getting out of the evening shower!Ahhh! anyhow great advice and maybe next don't involve Hillary Clinton and Naked in the same article you might have some angry regulars here mad at you for the lack of sleep or the disturbing thoughts of suicide! And NO! Rosie O. isn't a good substitute!

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

ill dream of somebody eles whlie deer hunting tommorow....
why not bring a .338 marlin with then yoou chould give us a report on it???

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

One morning elk were trotting through the trees as a physician friend who was new to hunting and I sat with our rifles and watched. A 300 or so bull showed up at about 30 yards so I said to my friend "shoot, shoot!". He did nothing and the bull left. I asked why he didn't fire to which he answered "I was trying to decide if he was the one I wanted". I told him not to wait again. About that moment a slightly smaller 6 x 6 jogged past nearby and my .338 spoke one word. Yes you always make up your mind what you are willing to accept before you hunt in the trees. This is not necessarily a requirement for long range hunting/shooting.

from fng wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Actually, out the other week, my father and I were traipsing around. We spooked two nice does and what looked like a shooter buck. My 6.5x55 has a Bushnell 6500 on it, turned down to 2.5, and dad had a vortek on his .30-30. The first words out of my mouth before we hit the bush were "Check and make sure you're down on 4 power!" the next thing Im hearing dad curse as he turns it down from twelve times from zeroing the rifle XD

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Isn't grand to pull Ol'Faithful out and know it's going to do the job on the first shot! Opening day of the rifle hunt, just had to bring out the Browning 338 Win Mag topped with a Leupold 3x9 VariX-II. 80ish yards nose down on the go through the trees and brush and the Brown went Down!

from fng wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Clay, what did you take?

from jim in nc wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

DP: didn't you make some comment last year about going to Maine and hoping to see the last deer there, after 2 godawful snowy winters and way high mortality? See anything? Shoot anything?

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Dave, while waiting on stand, ponder this subject for a future article. How Good Were the "Good Old Days"? Take an 1895 Winchester or other old turn-of-the century classic and check the accuracy with ammunition loaded to vintage times. One would think that 100yd. shots were more challenging back then. Minute of angle accuracy? More like "minute of grapefruit" perhaps. Just a thought to help keep you awake, and much healthier for you than thinking about Hillary or Rosie au natural.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

4 by Slick, 4 points on one side the otherside was broken at the base, one big bodied buck! I took a neck shot and was surprised the hole was big as my finger clean through but didn't blow it out like the 25-06 would have, very surprised, 225 gr Hornady SST at 3000 fps.

from semp wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Ahhh ... I fondly remember a thread involving Rosie O and proper uses for a .50 Barrett :-) .

from Carney wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Most important rifle range reminder:

When you get 2 bullets through one hole -- don't shoot a third!

from Carney wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

mad dog9999: That was just creepy. Plain and simple.

Mike Plotner: Although he has never said so, my perception in reading this blog and other F&S articles is that Dave Petzal only tests and writes about lever guns on a "has to" basis. He would much rather write about his bolt guns. What a pity that he'll never know the kind of love affair he could have if he would only give his heart to a big bore lever gun... It's probably because he is a lefty.

from libertyfirst wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

So Dave- Did you get a buck or eating meat? Maine deer simply taste better!

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Would it not make sense to check your zero after the trip, instead of before it?

from iowahunter18 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Who the heck reads while on the stand. Whenever i go out, I'm out there to enjoy the woods and get away from the hustle and bustle of work or school. If I want to read, I do it on a rainy day or at night before I hit the hay.

from tourneyking734 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

dear mr. petzal. I would like to inform you that even though up here in maine it is very cold (its gonna snow on tuesday, just to let you knwo) there are still deer up here, i know a outfitter that shot a 260 pound deer this year. So even though there aren't a lot of deer, there are some huge deer still walkin around. Wish i could tell u the good spots, but i couldn't online

from MLH wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Yep - farmland hunters are taken aback by how quickly things usually happen in the woods.

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

If the thought of Hillary doesn't work for you, just picture Helen Thomas in her place. You'll be bug-eyed for a week.

from Phil1227 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

good advice about turning the scope down, Ive never had a problem but have herd many stories of people not getting a monster because they couldnt find it in their scope

from shane wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Already down to 3X, thank you.

6.5 Norma is an interesting choice for Maine. Not a bad one, but interesting.

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Hitlery Clinton nekked? I threw up on my keyboard!!

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Hillary naked?! That's worse than the way my ex-wife looks lately-had the unfortunate experience of running into her today-so now,between the two-I may never sleep again-let alone fall asleep on my stand!
Here in Ohio it's shotgun only,and I prefer no scope on my deer gun,I can hit the target just as good with open sights at the distances I usually shoot here. WVa is rifle,and my scope is turned down now-before we even leave the house.( Wife can't go this year,I'm using her .243 for WVa.)

from fng wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Clay; Very nice! the mid range bucks are up and running around here. And I hit a nice little 6point with that 6.5 Tikka; boy was I knocked down! hit him in the upper heart, his lungs were GONE (liquified) and th ribs I hit were CLEAN, no shattering, just perfect circles cut. 25-35 yards, 140 grain NORMA nosler partition. Scary, scary performance for a small bore.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Ishawooa

I let a good bull get by me last month since he only gave me about 3 seconds to shoot. Sun in my eyes so I did not see him the first second and a half he was in the open.

I tell folks that unless an elk is posing for the magazine photographer, you generally have 3 to 5 seconds to see, decide, aim, and shoot. Some do not believe me to yet.

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Petzal, there are few people that can stir a pot as well as you. Keep muddling in political matters and make fun of politians any time possible while you still have the right to do so.

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

The very thought of the Hillybeeste nekkid will haunt me for years!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

DEP

That image of Hillary is making me queasy.

from gdcook wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Dave, Do you have a favorite handload for this rifle yet?

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

I wanted an eating deer. I shot this one at 8 AM today. 11/20/10....

from focusfront wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Good thing there were 30 mph gusts. In reality your rifle shoots 4" to the left.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Nice deer Dr. R!

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Should be tender & Tasty Dr.

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

It is sweet when things work out that way.

Dr.R, glad your back on the site, hope work load has eased.

from 1Breen wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

I'm 58 years old and have deer hunted since I was 10 when I killed my first deer, a respectable spike-horned buck. I lived (and still do...) on a 700 acre farm in SE Va, tucked in a corner between a major swamp and a river. Pristine "lowgrounds" when I was 10 and hunted by only a few neighbors with hounds. I took my bicycle (with a gunrack mounted) to the lowgrounds to hunt at every opportunity. One Saturday morning I got there at daybreak, settled down for the morning hunt and the sun rose. I warmed up in its rays and fell asleep. Next thing I knew, I was feeling something warm on my face, opened my eyes and looked right into the eyes of the biggest buck I could ever imagine! He walked right up to me and sniffed! Scared the ever-living s##t out of me! I raised my single-barrel to port arms and watched him saunter off, dam glad he didn't eat me!
Haven't fallen asleep on a deer stand since.

from MWK_MN wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

1Breen, If a true story i just gotta say one of the best I have ever heard. To have the biggest buck at the age of 58 you have ever seen sniff you when you were a lad asleep is priceless. I will be thinking about that in the deer stand tomorrow. :D

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

My avatar is now me and my first grandchild. I have been away from the site a long time. My daughter got married quite a while back to the Navy boy who now works for the Sheriffs Department and I am blessed with a grand daughter Morgan born Sept. 8th, 2010... thanks Jim, Moishe, WAM.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

And waaayyy bigger congratulations on that lovely grandaughter Morgan!

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

This is a lot better picture... she is my angel!

from Bernie wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Hillary AND Helen Thomas...I think I am going to have nightmares after this!

I shot my best whitetail buck ten years ago on a state school section in Montana. The buck was moving through willows, I had a split-second opportunity at about 85 yards. Hit the buck through the lungs with a 140-grain Nosler Partition from my 7 X 57. It grossed about 151. If I had dithered at all, the opportunity would have been lost.

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

I dunno about that Hillary stuff, you might wake up and shoot yourself!

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Congrats DR. Ralph. My first granddaughter is now 2 yrs old, second is 6 months and third is due in May. Just got permission from my daughter to tell folks she is expecting her second child. The best is the whole gang is coming home for turkey day.
Hillery, Rosie, Helen Thomas yeeecccchhh! David you started this mess can we get back to a gal that doesn't hurt the eyes?

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Dr. Ralph;
looks like you're holding a Ruger #1.
If yo'd be so kind, tell me what you think of it(if it is), what cal. and so forth.
been right on the verge of getting one but haven't got that final push yet.
thanks

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Dr. Ralph;
looks like you're holding a Ruger #1.
been right on the verge of getting one but haven't got that final push yet.
thanks

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Yes dale it is a Ruger No.1A light sporter. It is chambered in 7X57. I like it a whole lot. It is not the most accurate rifle in the world although I have a brother in law that has the No.1V varminter in 22-250 and it is a half minute of angle gun.

I hunt in thick cover out of a treestand and it is very handy and small and perfect for my needs. You can get off several shots very fast also, the fact that it is a single shot has never been a hindrance. I have one of those cartridge carriers on the stock if you look close you can see there are four more bullets right there. In fact I actually killed two deer yesterday. There were three and they all just stood there after my first shot so I reloaded and shot again. The limit is three a day in Tennessee we have an overpopulation problem.

from RES1956 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

In my youth, my first #1 was a 1-A light sporter in .270.
Like the good Dr.'s, it was not terribly accurate but a pleasure to hunt with and accounted for a substantial number of south Alabama whitetails.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I've never been worried about my first shot, it's always the second that worries me. I've never had to put it to the test in the field, though.

Several times the last years, I've taken out a rifle, fired a couple rounds, then looked, or had someone verify, through a spotting scope. Every time my first rounds were absolutely unbelievable, I've put the next one in west Egypt. Either adrenaline or overconfidence, I figure.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

I have possessed several No. 1 Rugers. I've never had any problem with accuracy! Wish I had most of 'em back! Bought a No. 1 barreled action in .300 WM with bull bbl. Sent it off to Rhinehart/Fajen! Scoped out with 4x12 Redfield, it weighed in at a tad over 11 pounds.
At that weight, very comfortable to shoot, EXTREMELY accurate, but it was a "bean field" rifle, before there were any "beanfield" rifles. Just to heavy to tote around. Dang, I wish I had it back!
Had a .22-250 that would shoot 1/2 minute! "I" don't care for the .22-250 round. Don't miss it, I miss the "No. 1" part! LOL!!
Still have a No.1 .270 Win Std w/ straight 4x Redfield. I try to kill one with it every year. It's just neat, far out and groovy!

Bubba

from chesney14 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Dave:
I just bought a Nosler 6.5/284. What scope do you have on yours? I'm thinking a Ziess 3.5to 10 x 50. Your thoughts Please///

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

a light sporter, in .270, was what i had in mind.
Did any of you have your light sporters "tuned" up by a local smitty?

from mcrumrine wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

One of the last things I check when putting my rifle in the cabinet is the the scope power, on min. For my 3x9's that is 3 and my 2x7 that is 2. At the range while sighting, I max both. When hunting I try to remember to boost them off min to a mid range, 3x9 to 6 and 2x7 to 4.5 This has worked for me for years. By making sure they are on min when they go in the cabinet at least they won't be on max when I get in the field. I have never had a problem finding the animal with the lower mag but have once with it on a higher mag. Thankfully that one time, she (doe) stood around to let me see her, knowing I couldn't shoot her.

from The Shot wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

David, you and the fellers beating up on Hillary again..?! Hhummm..., well, here's one for you: When Chelsea's wedding was coming up awhile ago, Hillary wanted to play the perfect Mom. So, she asked Chelsea.."have you had sex with Marc yet..?? Chelsea initially hesitated, but then suddenly lightened up and said..."Well, not according to Dad...!!!? Har, har, har..

from 007 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Dr. Ralph, ditto on welcome back and congrats. Dale beat me to it, wondering about the Ruger. From what I read that 7x57 is hard to beat.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

i think i need therapy now.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from focusfront wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from MJC wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

ill dream of somebody eles whlie deer hunting tommorow....
why not bring a .338 marlin with then yoou chould give us a report on it???

from Dcast wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Most important rifle range reminder:

When you get 2 bullets through one hole -- don't shoot a third!

from Carney wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

mad dog9999: That was just creepy. Plain and simple.

from crm3006 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Hitlery Clinton nekked? I threw up on my keyboard!!

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from jim in nc wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from libertyfirst wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

So Dave- Did you get a buck or eating meat? Maine deer simply taste better!

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from fng wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from fng wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Clay, what did you take?

from Jason Hart wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from iowahunter18 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from 1Breen wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Haven't fallen asleep on a deer stand since.

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

DEP

That image of Hillary is making me queasy.

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

I wanted an eating deer. I shot this one at 8 AM today. 11/20/10....

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from Bernie wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Hillary AND Helen Thomas...I think I am going to have nightmares after this!

from shane wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Already down to 3X, thank you.

6.5 Norma is an interesting choice for Maine. Not a bad one, but interesting.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from tourneyking734 wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from gdcook wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Dave, Do you have a favorite handload for this rifle yet?

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from RES1956 wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

In my youth, my first #1 was a 1-A light sporter in .270.

from The Shot wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Ishawooa

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Nice deer Dr. R!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

And waaayyy bigger congratulations on that lovely grandaughter Morgan!

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

It is sweet when things work out that way.

Dr.R, glad your back on the site, hope work load has eased.

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

This is a lot better picture... she is my angel!

from Zermoid wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

I dunno about that Hillary stuff, you might wake up and shoot yourself!

from semp wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

The very thought of the Hillybeeste nekkid will haunt me for years!

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Should be tender & Tasty Dr.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

Bubba

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Dr. Ralph;
looks like you're holding a Ruger #1.
been right on the verge of getting one but haven't got that final push yet.
thanks

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 21 weeks ago

Dr. Ralph;
looks like you're holding a Ruger #1.
been right on the verge of getting one but haven't got that final push yet.
thanks

from dale freeman wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago

a light sporter, in .270, was what i had in mind.
Did any of you have your light sporters "tuned" up by a local smitty?

from mcrumrine wrote 3 years 20 weeks ago