Details In The D’Acquisto Case

Whitetail 365

January 18, 2011

Details In The D’Acquisto Case

By Dave Hurteau

by Dave Hurteau

Earlier this month, I posted a link to a story by the Illinois Outdoor News reporting that Andrae D’Acquisto, former owner of Lone Wolf Treestands and current owner of Lone Wolf Productions, which produces Whitetail Addiction TV, had pled guilty to hunting without a valid Illinois hunting license and habitat stamp, and that in the plea agreement, baiting charges were dropped. You may remember that I promised you more information. I wanted to hear from D’Acquisto, as well as from a warden who was on the scene. On Thursday of last week, I received a statement on D’Acquisto’s behalf from Lone Wolf Productions, and on Saturday morning I spoke with Illinois Department of Natural Resources Conservation Police Officer Rich Logsdon, who worked the case.

First, the Lone Wolf Productions statement:
Here are some facts in regards to the recent statement made on Illinois Outdoor News website. In 2009 Andrae D'Acquisto applied for and received Illinois deer non-resident combo archery permits for him and his son at the sum of $820.00. At that time he also requested hunting licenses for $57.75 and habitat stamps for $5.50. Andrae D'Acquisto received his tags in the mail which he signed immediately and placed in his hunting pack, unaware that the hunting license portion and habitat stamp were never processed by the license sales vendor. Later he had come to find out these items cannot be purchased in the same transaction. As a result they were issued tickets for that mistake. As for any other charges, including baiting, they were all found invalid and dropped by a judge in Menard County. At no time was Andrae or Cody

D'Acquisto involved in putting out and hunting over, or near any baited sights. In reference to the charges back in 2005, after considering all of the facts, the charges of fraudulently obtaining Illinois resident hunting licenses, resident deer permits, and providing false information to obtain an Illinois driver's license in Cass County were dropped by a judge. Andrae D'Acquisto then agreed to a petty charge of obstructing a peace officer. At that time the state of Illinois and the US Federal Government recognized Andrae D'Acquisto to be a legal resident of the state of Illinois.

Officer Logsdon confirms that D’Acquisto did have his archery tag but lacked a hunting licenses and habitat stamp. “He has hunted here in the past and should have known the requirement. Tags, licenses, and habitat stamps are frequently purchased in the same transaction, and while it’s possible that this violation was a simple mistake, that makes it no less illegal.”

As to the baiting charges, it is illegal in Illinois to put out any deer attractant—minerals or food substances--any time of year, as is hunting with the aid of same. Officer Logsdon says his team found five “holes” containing deer attractant on two properties D’Acquisto leases and hunts. “There were fresh minerals in one of them for sure,” he says. “When we approached Mr. D’Acquisto, he asked ‘Is it about the holes on the property?’ So he was clearly aware of them.”

The holes varied in size, says Logsdon. “One was about the size of a car hood and about 2 feet deep. Several had scouting cameras nearby and at least two had a stand or stands within bow range.” Logsdon concedes that D’Acquisto was never scene placing any substances himself nor found hunting within bow range of any of the holes. “He was hunting a property that had illegal substances, however, and we feel we had sufficient evidence to show that he was involved in putting them there,” he says.

“Mr. D’Acquisto claimed that a deceased land owner may have put salt in one of the holes and that they usually fill that one in but didn’t this year.” Logsdon says D’Acquisto asked if he could make the holes legal by pouring kerosene into them? “We told him that to be legal, they needed to be totally inaccessible to deer. When he asked how far away from the holes he need to be, I informed him that there is no set distance, to which he responded, ‘I don’t need to hunt over bait to kill a deer anyway.’”

Finally, Logsdon says it is important to note that the baiting charges—as well as the 2005 felony charges—were not dismissed by a judge or jury based on their merits, but as a condition of a plea agreement.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

I hope Mr. D'aquisto well in his next occupation.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Are you sure he is not a Chicago lawyer under instruction from BHO or Rahm Emmanuel?

from MissMuley wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

I would think that TV figures such as Mr. D'aquisto should be aware that they set an example for hunting not only to those of us who hunt and enjoy watching it on TV but to the general public. Not a good way to go about it. Well put, buckhunter.

from NHshtr wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Pour kerosene into the hole? Yeah, that's how I'd fill it!

from steve182 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Probably typical of many of the "Celebrity hunters" or the made for TV hunting shows. I am a fan of the LoneWolf treestands, however overpriced they may be.

from steve182 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Dave Hurteau, What of the Buckscoring contest?

from Dave Hurteau wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

steve182,
I will announce the winner(s) tomorrow! Stay tuned.

from MageeCreek wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

In all fairness to Lone Wolf Treestands, I don't think D'Acquisto's been involved with the company since he sold it about four years ago.

from jay wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

In illinois you used to be able to put out salt blocks but it was banned when all the hoopla about CWD devasting the deer heard was going on about 5 years ago. I used to put mineral blocks out every winter after the season to give the nursing does and faws a jumpstart. Most of the research I have read states that mineral blocks do little for antler developed and that mineral blocks are mostly utilized by pregnant does and then their fawns. There are still holes on the property that I hunt leftover from the legal placement of mineral blocks of years past. I guess I would get a ticket if my treestand was within shooting distance of those holes...doesn't seem right. Are folks expected to not hunt around places that at one time were allowed use of mineral blocks.

from jay wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

BTW, the illinois DNR used to encourage folks to place mineral blocks on their properties at 1 block per 100 acres.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Guy sounds like a law breaking jack donkey for sure! Maybe him and Ted can become blood brothers.

from schwings wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

The dead guy did it. Hahahaaha!

from jamesti wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

he's hunted there before. he bought tags and liscenses there before. he knew the rule. no excuses.

from PETESMEAT wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

People who live in stone houses shouldn't throw glass.

from jbird wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Sounds like he knew good and well about the mineral spots. Also sounds like the officer was a di**. Just my opinion based on the info provided

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Dave,

Sounds like the assessments many gave in your previous thread were spot on. The man definitely has a spin doctor on his payroll. My grandfather was right again, where there is smoke there is fire.

Thanks for the update

from lostcajun61 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Ok,here's one "TV hunter "that got caught doing something(s) illegal.Makes me wonder what other "TV hunters" will do or have done to get the"shot".I've been suspicious of some.I guess any time there's money to be made the door opens for corruption,at any cost!As I said in my comments regarding the "web cam" hunters; people like this are hunters worst enemies.

from GERG wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

This guy and Uncle Ted have nothing in common. This guy is a creep.

from brentru wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Putting out minerals is not legal, but pouring kerosene on the ground is? Hmmmmm.....

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Just send out the EPA for the kerosene spill. Way bigger fine than baiting! LOL! Wait until the EPA Environazi's find out he is a Bambi Killer. Woe is he.

from Silverback wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Really come on. It's not like he was jackin deer with a spot light. The guy wasn't even hunting over the so called "bait". A mineral lick = bait, most of the time they are used at night. I use mineral licks as a tool with a camera to help find out whats on the property to help me hold off and only take the most mature deer on the property. And "TV Hunters" lease land so that they are not taking anything from all the FRAA state and county land that the "LOCALS" hunt. I'm sure there a MUCH more problem with the "LOCALS" jackin deer than this guy having mineral licks on a property he hunts. Its like getting a speeding ticket for doing 59 in a 55. Yeah, its breaking the "LAW", but I think there are murders to solve. I'm SURE "YOU" never go over that posted speed limit.

from Whackdaddy wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Silverback, you're fighting a losing battle. The guy has a lot of big deer on the wall, and that really gets to most of these internet guys. They'd want to hang him if his brother-in-law broke a law in the next county.

The only thing newsworthy about this is the deceit that spews out of folks when something like this happens.

from nicko55555 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Are there worse things going on out there? Sure. But the game wardens job is to enforce game laws. Just because there is murdering and killing in the world doesn't mean all other violations should not be addressed. Deflecting blame is what somebody does when they know they are wrong.

I've heard many claims from D'Acquisto's camp of friends and supporters that these violations are the result of harassment by game wardens and them singling him out. If that is the case, why doesn't D'Acquisto himself step forward with these claims?

from Christopher Spangler wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

Sorry guys I couldn't get past $883.25 spent in order to hunt in Illionis if your not a resident. WOW, thats half my months wages, must be nice to be the other half.

from ray cummings wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

When you hear two sides of the story you usually hear two half truths. That seems to be the case here. What I hear is an arrogant T.V. host "sportsman" and an equally arrogant D.N.R. officer. This seems to be typical of both of these groups. I know, at least in Michigan, being arrogant is a trait of the D.N.R. Here most of them were so good at violating the game laws that they were hired for their knowledge (and to stop them from further violating). One in particular, officer Lockwood of Gladwin, has, in my opinion, probaly broken more game laws than any poacher in Michigan. One who retired from the force bragged about his exploits saying that he was the best and knew "all the tricks".

from MissMuley wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from Silverback wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from Whackdaddy wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from ray cummings wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

I hope Mr. D'aquisto well in his next occupation.

from NHshtr wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Pour kerosene into the hole? Yeah, that's how I'd fill it!

from Dave Hurteau wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

steve182,
I will announce the winner(s) tomorrow! Stay tuned.

from jay wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from PETESMEAT wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

People who live in stone houses shouldn't throw glass.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Dave Hurteau, What of the Buckscoring contest?

from MageeCreek wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from jay wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from schwings wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

The dead guy did it. Hahahaaha!

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

Dave,

Thanks for the update

from lostcajun61 wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from GERG wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

This guy and Uncle Ted have nothing in common. This guy is a creep.

from brentru wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago