Unique Triple-Barreled Shotgun Sells for $66K

Field Notes

January 07, 2011

Unique Triple-Barreled Shotgun Sells for $66K

By Chad Love

Love waterfowl hunting with classic side-by-sides but sometimes really wish you had that third shot? Shoulda been at this auction, where a one-of-a-kind triple-barreled Dickson side-by-side-by-side shotgun just sold at auction for a cool $66,000.

From this story in the Scotsman:
A unique triple-barrelled shotgun made for a Scots aristocrat has been sold at auction for £43,000. The shotgun - dubbed the "Holy Grail" - was made in April 1891 for John Adrian Louis Hope, 1st Marquess of Linlithgow and the seventh Earl of Hopetoun. The three-barrelled ejector, 16-bore gun, with three triggers, was designed by renowned Edinburgh gun makers John Dickson & Son and is the only one of its kind. Its origins were identified after the gun was taken to a valuing event at Hopetoun House, South Queensferry, and it has now been sold at Holt's auction in London, to a private collector, after fierce bidding from around the world.

Holt's founder, Nicholas Holt, said: "This is completely unique - the holy grail for any shotgun collector. "The gun maker, which still exists in Edinburgh, looked back in their records and found this was the only single 16-bore, round action side by side by side ejector ever made. The mechanism was too complex to make more, but it still works fantastically well today and is capable of shooting three gamebirds with its three barrels."

from thunderdog512 wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

dang i would love to have one of those. i wonder how much it would cost in todays world to make one.

from bowhuntermike wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

I wish... would be really neat to own one. but not for that hefty price

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Neat. How about a four barreled shotgun. Has anyone ever made one of those?

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

How many geese could I bring down at 60 yds. using 3 1/2" magnum loads, and unloading all three barrels at once.?!!!

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Bella wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

(Soft moan of desire) OOooohhh, Bella Like!

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Sorry about the triple post...this site sure doesn't work very well. Wonder if the point of impact is the same at 40 yds.?

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

I bet the 7th Earl was the talk of those driven bird hunts. Good heavens... How terribly unsporting. The proper gentleman requires no more than two shots...

With the Scots being noted for thriftyness I guess that third barrel cut down on the number of loaders he needed on standby during a driven grouse hunt thus reducing the payroll.

from GERG wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

What a fantastic piece of art. I am drooling on my keyboard!

from cmikles1 wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

To answer you mad dog, yes. I heard about one while browsing Wikipedia for useless knowledge recently that is made in Italy by FAMARS called Rombo. It come in .410 and 28 gauge. It doesn't state a price, but I would bet it is very expensive.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Three lock Box!

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Far out and groovy! In sixteen gauge too? That's even more over the top.

"Its origins were identified after the gun was taken to a valuing event at Hopetoun House, South Queensferry,..."

Wasn't it just a fews years ago that all England had to turn in their firearms? Or were "requested" to turn in all firearms? Seems like I saw an NRA DVD showing both Australia and England arms being put to the chop saw.
If so, how did this beautiful beastie survive. Is it only "landed Gentry" that is able to maintain firearms? ...and it sold at auction in England?

Hmmmm....?

Bubba

from PCRider wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Holy triple banger, batman! I could have used that this morning chasing quail. Just like FirstBubba said, 16 gauge just upped the cool factor.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Gives "AAA" (Triple "A") a new meaning or should I say, the real meaning!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Imagine all three barrels at once? OUCH!

from The White Slug wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

This reminds me of Rick Nielsen's (Cheap Trick) five necked guitar. With both shooting and guitar playing I have to improve on one membered tools before I graduate (both financially and skillfully) to multiples.

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

ohhh 16 ga! i have all ways wanted one

from Steve Bodio wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Late to the party. It is not "the only one of its kind"-- Dixon made more than ten. One was owned by the famous naturalist Lord Rothschild. Most were 16 gauge, and at least one was sidelever, Damascus, and "bar in wood" as well. That is the one I want (hah!)

In addition to (nice) modern Italian 4 barrels Lancaster made a clunky one.

England still allows shotguns and sporing rifles-- it banned handguns. Of course it is a slippery slope.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from thunderdog512 wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

(Soft moan of desire) OOooohhh, Bella Like!

from bowhuntermike wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

I wish... would be really neat to own one. but not for that hefty price

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Neat. How about a four barreled shotgun. Has anyone ever made one of those?

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from GERG wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

What a fantastic piece of art. I am drooling on my keyboard!

from cmikles1 wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Three lock Box!

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Far out and groovy! In sixteen gauge too? That's even more over the top.

Hmmmm....?

Bubba

from PCRider wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Gives "AAA" (Triple "A") a new meaning or should I say, the real meaning!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago

Imagine all three barrels at once? OUCH!

from The White Slug wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 13 weeks ago

ohhh 16 ga! i have all ways wanted one

from Steve Bodio wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

In addition to (nice) modern Italian 4 barrels Lancaster made a clunky one.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 14 weeks ago