9-Pound Frog-Eating Largemouth Nearly Induces Heart Attack

The Lateral Line

September 25, 2013

9-Pound Frog-Eating Largemouth Nearly Induces Heart Attack

By Joe Cermele

I love this video because it perfectly captures something that every fisherman has experienced; the unexpected boat-side eat. As you'll see, the angler is chucking a topwater frog against a bank. Just like most of us would do, he zips it back to the boat after nothing strikes close to shore, and just as he lifts the lure out of the water, WHAM-O! If you've always wondered what it sounds like when a true bucketmouth bass eats on top, turn up your speakers. It also makes you wonder if that bass was sitting close to the boat, or swam fast enough from the bank to actually keep up with the lure and nail it at the last second.

from Mac in Mo wrote 30 weeks 22 hours ago

That was great! I would bet it either followed it in or came at it from an angle. Fishing for Smallmouth on our crystal clear Ozark rivers here in Missouri. I have had Bass shoot in from over 30 feet away and take my lure near the boat. They swim so fast, they are just a brown streak in the water.

from HammerDoc wrote 30 weeks 21 hours ago

Awesome video. Listen to the birds in the background. Sounds like a pretty good day on the water even BEFORE the lunker struck!

from buckhunter wrote 30 weeks 21 hours ago

Gave me the willies just watching.

from Gerry Ebel wrote 30 weeks 20 hours ago

That monster just couldn't resist that Lunkerhunt Frog! Those crazy legs can make the difference between follows and big strikes...

from Charles Noonan wrote 30 weeks 18 hours ago

AIRJAWS!!

from Woods Walker wrote 30 weeks 11 hours ago

I agree with Gerry about the legs being a factor - my fishing buddy was recently fishing with a plastic top water frog with rubber legs. He caught 3 Northern Pike on 3 casts but the last fish chewed the legs off. This was the only top water weedless frog that we had along and he never had another strike afterward with the now legless frog.

from Gary Devine wrote 29 weeks 5 days ago

That's the reason why you never see a live frogs swimming in the middle of a lake.

from HammerDoc wrote 30 weeks 21 hours ago

from Mac in Mo wrote 30 weeks 22 hours ago

from Gerry Ebel wrote 30 weeks 20 hours ago

from buckhunter wrote 30 weeks 21 hours ago

Gave me the willies just watching.

from Charles Noonan wrote 30 weeks 18 hours ago