How GoPro Cameras Can Make You A Better Bass Angler

The Lateral Line

January 13, 2014

How GoPro Cameras Can Make You A Better Bass Angler

By Dave Wolak

Lately, it seems like all of my bass fishing buddies have acquired GoPro cameras. I’m betting some of you can relate. Yes, this little action cam is good for shooting every bass you catch (and subsequently insist on posting to Facebook), but if used with a different aim, it can become a tool for becoming a better angler. I've been playing with GoPros for a few years now, and what they’re not is another device that adds complication to relaxing days on the lake. They're actually easy to use and don’t get in your way. Just as athletes analyze videos of themselves to see what aspects of their performance need improvement, your GoPro footage can be a great instructional resource to help you hone your personal techniques.

It’s not usually the footage of epic catches that have instructional value. It’s in the down times between fish where you’ll often pick up on personal technique flaws. For example, if you miss several fish, you can analyze the rod angle and note mistakes prior to the hook set. Or if your casting is not spot-on, there's a good chance you can detect a fault in your arm angle or release. That stuff won't make the highlight reel, but it's valuable information. I mount my camera on a chest harness, and though the footage may still be a little shaky, it’s not nearly as bad as a head mount, as your torso moves a lot less.

If my goal is to capture both technique and fish, I mount the camera on the boat's driver side facing out and forward at a 45-degree angle. Then I'll cast from the passenger side front, and vice-versa if fishing the other direction. The wide angle will get the bulk of the action on the water (like topwater hits), but it's also behind you far enough to capture your technique.

from jhartwig24 wrote 13 weeks 6 days ago

I mount my GoPro to my fish camera while ice fishing, it takes great footage of the fish and their behavior under the ice! Check out my video on Youtube. Just search for "Gills on the GoPro Hero 3+"

from nuclear_fisher wrote 13 weeks 5 days ago

I've been meaning to get a chest mount since I first you saw you wearing it on here. You're right that the head cam is so shakey and I like the chest angle too. I like your stills above but let's see some video Dave.

jhartwig24 - come on man 17 minutes? Ain't nobody got time for that.

from jw2003 wrote 13 weeks 4 days ago

Dave,

The GoPro can really improve an individuals fishing skills and have fun doing it. The next step in the technical revolution will be the attachment to a "Bass." Then we can truely understand the feeding habits, migration periods and more of the secrets that keep the "Big Bass" around.

from David Wolak wrote 13 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks. I'll be sure to share some more video in future posts, these were screen shots from GoPro footage I shot while catching a few last summer.

from jhartwig24 wrote 13 weeks 6 days ago

from nuclear_fisher wrote 13 weeks 5 days ago

jhartwig24 - come on man 17 minutes? Ain't nobody got time for that.

from jw2003 wrote 13 weeks 4 days ago