Video From A Hunting Dog's Perspective

Man's Best Friend

March 09, 2011

Video From A Hunting Dog's Perspective

By Chad Love

The world of extreme sports is awash in point-of-view video footage from mountain bikers, skiers, surfers, rock climbers, snowboarders, BASE jumpers and virtually every other extreme, obscure or just plain stupid sport or recreational activity out there. And what's fueling that explosion of documented madness is the advent of very small, light, high-definition video cameras that can be mounted pretty much anywhere: on helmets, boards, bikes and even guns.

But a few weeks ago I was talking with my editor and mentioned that I would love to figure out a way to mount one of those cameras on a hunting dog, to get their unique perspective on the world. As far as I knew, no one had ever tried it. It was a great idea. So great, in fact, that someone had already gone and done it...

Ever wanted to know what it's like being a duck dog? Watch the video, and you will know. From this perspective, you are the dog. It's simply one of the coolest gundog videos I've ever seen, and I commend Sugar and her owner for figuring out a way to pull it off. Screw all that X-games BS, here's an example of a real extreme athlete...

from ckRich wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

That is the best duck hunting footage I've ever seen. Not to mention an awesome dog. Now I'd like to see one of those cameras strapped to a falcon or eagle. That would be an intense POV.

from vtbluegrass wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

That was awesome. Now there needs to be a hunting dog video collection. It would be cool to get some different types of dog like a pointer perhaps.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Love the video. The dog deserves to sit in the front seat on the way home. Next maybe we should hook up a beagle while chasing rabbits.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

This really could be another trend. Not only for duck dogs, which is pretty cool, but how about Police? I'd like to see a Doberman's view as he chases a perp and rips their foot off.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

man, that's cool! you can do a lot with those things.

from Dog Face Clown wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Nice idea cool video.

from db270 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

That is one of the coolest things I've seen on YouTube! And I agree, I'd love to see a variety of dogs on a variety of hunts. Awesome idea.

from Jere39 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Great video, thanks for finding and sharing with us.

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Sugar marks well!!!!

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Great inspiration to go with the avery vest and decoys we picked up for next season.Lots of training to go before ducks next season.

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

ckRich the military has used pigeons for years similar to what you said.I guess they are a lot cheaper than a billion dollar drone.

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Chad I left you an address to help on your loft blog.

from ErikL wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

This is my favorite dog-cam so far...if the link works.

from Charlie Nichols wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Folks that is just incredible. Beats any basketball game being played.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Great video! Great retriever, too! That dog went straight to the marks.

from Hassan Abdul-Wahid wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Awesome video! I wish my Britt could hit marks like that. Sugar is a hell of a dog!

from Dusty Bob wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I have been training, testing, judging and hunting retrievers (Labradors & Drahthaars) for over 20 years and that video sure puts a very important perspective on what we ask our furry friends to do. We just sit in the boat or blind and marvel at what our dogs are able to accomplish. I for one never really gave any thought to what they are thinking or the view from their perspective. Even after having to take the boat out and help a dog that is either in trouble due to waves or just cant't seem to find the duck I never really gave a lot thought to what he/she saw from a couple inches above the water.
Thanks Very Much for a GREAT IDEA
Dusty

from Shark Bait 911 wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

how does your dog not even try to getthe video camra off. you my freind have a very good dog,(unlike me).

from Steve Bodio wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

There are English videos from a peregrine and a goshawk in action-- don't have the url but if you Google "BBC peregrine goshawk" you should find it. All great stuff!

I think the new BBC series on human cultures put one on an eagle in the Kazakh hunting segment too-- see Chad's "Cool" post below. Beats the idea of a photographer who was with us in Mongolia in '98-- he wanted to tie a rabbit to his head and have Aralbai (Mr Cool himself) fly his eagle at him.

We almost let him do it. Then Canat, our guide, looked at me, then him, and said: "It kills WOLVES."

from Steve Bodio wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Whoops-- "Cool" was in Field Notes, not Man's Best Friend. You should read all Chad's blogs anyway!

from fly4fishchris wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

That dog sure can swim. The gopro is a neat contraption but a little bit spendy for a video camera that has only one use! I would like to use it for hunting though and it surprises me that more hunting shows do not use POV video cameras for hunting. They could use that footage instead of showing us them back at camp playing jokes on each other.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

from db270 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Sugar marks well!!!!

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

man, that's cool! you can do a lot with those things.

from Dog Face Clown wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Nice idea cool video.

from Jere39 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Great video, thanks for finding and sharing with us.

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

from kelmitch wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Chad I left you an address to help on your loft blog.

from ErikL wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

This is my favorite dog-cam so far...if the link works.

from Charlie Nichols wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Folks that is just incredible. Beats any basketball game being played.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Great video! Great retriever, too! That dog went straight to the marks.

from Hassan Abdul-Wahid wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago