Introducing (Insert Name Here), My New Pup

Man's Best Friend

March 26, 2012

Introducing (Insert Name Here), My New Pup

By Chad Love

A couple weeks back I asked readers for suggestions on how to convince a significant other that you need a new pup. Incidentally, the photo that accompanies that blog is my little setter, Jenny, when she was eight weeks old. I can't say that I actually tried using any of your fine and varied suggestions, but obviously I did something right, or at least not catastrophically wrong, as here I am again, for better or worse, with a new pup.

Meet Insert Name Here (we'll get to that in a minute). He's a precocious, long-legged, raw-boned little cutie of an English setter from Berg Brothers Kennel in Dayton, Minnesota. In this picture he's giving the stink-eye to a prairie chicken wing, but when I picked him up from the airport Friday, he was alternately charming everyone at the cargo dock (when they were paying attention to him) and splitting their eardrums with howls of pure anguish (when they weren't).

And that's pretty much how things have been for the past couple days. The first week or so of life with any new puppy can be summarized thusly: feed me, love me, don't leave me. Which is why I'm trying to balance a sleeping (and, unfortunately for me, farting) ball of fur on my lap as I type these words.

I had actually planned on getting a new retriever pup this year, as my chessie is pushing nine, and focus on a new setter pup next year. But the chessie breeding I was hoping for didn't happen this year, so I decided to simply reverse the timeline and get a new setter pup instead. My wife was skeptical, but it made perfect sense to me. It may have been more practical to have had another year or two between my pointing dogs (Jenny just turned two) but in matters of puppy, practical (thankfully) rarely rears its ugly head.

So in the coming months I'll be writing (and perhaps even shooting some video) of our progress from butterball to first-year gundog. I hope you enjoy it, I think it's going to be fun. Or at least funny. I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunity to laugh with and at me.

But there's a problem. For the first time in Love family recorded history, we can't quite come to terms on a name. My oldest son wants to name him one thing, my wife wants to name him something else, I have my own name in mind, and my five-year-old (the smartest, most level-headed of the bunch) keeps reminding all of us that we can't keep calling him "pup" the rest of his life. So I have set an absolute Wednesday deadline for naming "Anon" (as I've been referring to him). My wife has solicited suggestions from her friends and family. Now it's my turn. Give me your best male dog name suggestions. My tastes in dog names tend to run toward the obscure or literary, but lay anything you got on me, I'm getting desperate. I gotta find a name, and quick. The last thing I need is a dog with identity issues.

from cunninghamww wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I always think long and hard about naming. It is a very important process, and it is always a mixture of what the dog appears to be, and what I want the dog to be. So to some degree, coming to a name is a very personal act. But here is what I will offer: even though your pup is farting in your lap, he looks to have a certain level of sophistication. He will eventually carry himself with pride and determination. I love Winston Churchill. If this were my dog, I would either name him "Winston" or "Churchill." Just my .02.

from Kris24 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Trigger or Gunner are a couple that come to mind.

from FishingnotCatching wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

If you have permission... Berg Brothers Covey Buster, Buster for short... cuz we all know he's not gonna point them all! Congrats on the new pup! He's a looker for sure

from vasportsman wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Huey

from Kris24 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

You could go with Tough, Tuff, or mabe just Fart would be appropriate.....LOL.

from peppeli wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Since you already have a Jenny, and lets now change that to JEnAy...maybe you could go with Forest and call him Gump for short. Imagine the tricks, or possible commands you could teach to the saying "Run Forest!"

from VAHunter540 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Throwback: Buck(Call of the Wild) or Old Dan (where the red fern grows)
For the Kids: Tramp (lady and the tramp)

If you really want it to mean something. Call him "Chips" or just look through the names of other "War Dogs" that have fallen. Check out the K9 wall of honor. No better way to honor a hero. www.uswardogs.org

from Redwidow wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

My dogs have always had 1-3 syllable names. My last dog was named Cyrus....I called him the Virus in any picture posting. Mainly becuase he was infectiously cute and as loyal and stubborn as an illness and it was a cool rhyme that i got from the Oscar nominated movie ConAir :-)

Others to consider:

Mythology = go with Zeus
Religious = go with Soloman, or Solo for short
Gun Enthusiast = go with Trigger, Trig, Bolt, Slide, etc
Love to wear camo? = go with Mossy for MossyOak
Love to sleep = go with ZZzz although it's hard to yell
Love History = Winston, Abe, Wright, Obama (SIKE!!!)

Whatever you name your dog...name it like a child. Give it meaning to you. Unlike a dolphin tattoo or japanese kanji. Name your dog with purpose not porpoise!

Best of luck!

from Meerpj26 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Well if you say he is a witty little charmer and you are a fan of liturature names Odysseus from Homers The Odyssey seems like a good choice.

from Chayton Gilcher wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

cuddels the destroyer of worlds

from Equack wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I named my dog Oreo because she is black and white....bad decision!

But I'd go with the name of your favorite beer...."Miller" for miller light...."Guinness" for the Guinness brewery. (local micro-brew)...."Buddy" or "Bud" for Budweiser

from bruisedsausage wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

"Olla podrida"

from smccardell wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Roland Deschain Love

from smccardell wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Or if that's not good enough you can go with Guinness...

from coyute wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I like "pup." I have a English Setter who is going on 3 and although his name is Zip, the wife and I have been calling him "pup" since he was an actual pup.

from bruisedsausage wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

My last post was kinda a joke, but "Venator" would be a fitting name.

from redfishunter wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Cash

from ggmack wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

With the black ear and side of face I would go with " patch" "patches" or "spot"

from paulie3033 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

His name should be Remington or "Remmy" for short.

from TAM9492 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Dave

from TAM9492 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Sampson

from KNX wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Puck. It's literary, it's short, and it perfectly describes a little charmer. There are some rhyming issues.

from srlarson wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

First i like short names....easy for commands

for looks - Patch

others: Ruger, Jack (Jack and Jenny)

Good luck...gotta luv puppies!!

from Jan Marie wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

If he's going to be a hunter it should be a short one syllable Duke, Chief, Patch, Gus.... oh and it shouldn't sound like a command you use.

from uplander12 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

What's the breeding on him? Sometimes you can get ideas from the parents names.

from GregMc wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

How about Teddy?
We've never needed another Teddy Roosevelt like we need one now

from Double D wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

My first quasi-sporting dog was named Kitty, which always made the neighbors look at me funny when I was yelling Here Kitty, Kitty! to call my dog.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

when we got my dog ( i was 10) he was my pal (is name became an acronym for Pee A lot) at the kennel we got him from, more or less he he followed my untied shoe lace as we walked around the place and became my best pal.
my dad always wanted to get a german shepard and name it DOG, but pronouncing it dee-o-gee.
I like to give a dog a persona and give it a more obscurely human name, i really like the name jenny you gave your last dog kind of has a forest gump quality to it.
I would go with frank, jim, or even forest. Sticking with the forest gump and hunting theme.

from Casey Faucher wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Best dog we ever owned was a Dachshund named "Hank." He was a legend!

from Brendon Riehl wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Call him gypsy or gyp(jip) for short.

from Brendon Riehl wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Call him gypsy or gyp(jip) for short.

from Hunter_Fass wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Otis — After a WW2 pilot I had the pleasure to meet one time. Quite the gentleman he was.

from RockySquirrel wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Joey. He looks like a Joey. Then you would have "Jenny and Joey"

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

When my late son was born my mom was here to help out. All three of us were stubbornly deadlocked on a name. In the end, Mom picked one from the hat (my wife's grandad's bowler). Wesley with middle name Reed (my dad's mother's maiden name - she died two months after I was born). Can't even remember the other choices but I know Cathy kept the slips somewhere. Someday I'll look for that stuff.

I suggest Zebulon. Call him Zeb for short ... except when you're pissed at him. Then use the full lengtth version. Yes, they will answer to two names. Or even three or four. My Brit pup Coral is not quite a year old and I still call her puppy all the time. She responds to either that or her name (admittedly she is quite smart and responsive for a pup). Pearl is also "old sweety" and Opal is "goof". No matter how I address them they know who I'm talking about.

Three dogs? Chad, you are as silly as me! Look forward to following your progress.

from ITHACASXS wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Harry - a good English name for a fine English Setter. I'm thinking of Harry Selby of course, not Potter who is fictional.

from jobmorri wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Leonidas....he'd be the most bada$$ hunting dog out there...Leo for short

from tcomp wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Thor.. probably the coolest dog name out there.

from c.moro wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

He looks like he has a big heart and alot of soul... I would call him "Jazz"

from bhvr777 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Leeroy

from Wags wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Hard to go wrong with Jake. I once had a Danny Boy that looked a lot like that one. Buck is good. I like a one-syllable name that can be barked out when needed for males. My girls have to have two syllable names, that usually end in "ie" sound. I have a Jessie right now.

from berniedog wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

You could always name him after a player on your favorite team. In my case, I'd go with "Jeter". I named my lab "Bernie" after Bernie Williams.

from Kristi Reeves S... wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

My suggestion is TRAX but we like some of the other suggestions a lot too. My hubby & I really liked the suggestion of "Otis" or using the name of a wardog hero would be neat too. Good luck!!

from buckeyebob wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

King George

from DrewJohnson4646 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Wilson - a tribute to the professional hunter from Ernest Hemingway's "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" a great short story about courage, manhood, and loyalty (or disloyalty in this case) playing out on the African plains.

from kansasjeff wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I'd go with "Harvey" or "Dent" by looking at him.

from kansasjeff wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

cute little guy

from sgtsly wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

His temperment sounds more like a teenage girl. You could call him Miley.

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

His Magnificence Albert of Chad's Kennel. Or.. well.. Mack.

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Ishmael (Ish) (or Herman), Tom Joad (or Jim Casey), or Clint.

from BaboosicBomb wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Pheasantbane.
Or Sir Bartholemew Tibbits the 3rd.

from Hondarider3278 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Gauge, Case, Remington or something of that sort

from ckRich wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Good lookin pup you have there, Chad. How about calling him Buford? Or my favorite, Rastus.

from UplandHunter001 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

"Odie" could be a great name for the pup. Easy to say, can be pronounced with the accent anywhere in the word, will convey mood or grab his attention with how it is said.

from Jnelson64 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

You could use some important conservation (and preservation) figures like:

"Aldo" or "Leopold" - Aldo Leopold author of Sand County Almanac
"Gifford" or "Pinchot" - Gifford Pinchot helped create the US Forest Service
or
"Muir" - John Muir helped create the National Park Service

"Opie" - Opie Taylor just for $h!ts and Giggles

Name it Jake and you can play Pirates of the Mississippi to it.

from klepper wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Apollo?

from Bernie wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

He looks like an "Otis" to me!

from Levi Banks wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I've only named one dog, but I like names that fit the dog's personality, since you said he's giving the wing the stink eye and farting a lot maybe some variant of "Stink." "Odie" has been suggested already and it's a nice variant of odor, but may be confused with Garfield. My dog is named "Sog" or "Soggy" when I brought her home she drooled all over the place in my car, not even a 15 minute ride and she was wet, and it wasn't pee. It rhymes with dog, but the first letters are different enough she doesn't get confused if you say "dog." It also doesn't sound like any commands.

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Call him Rick Flair! Whoooooooo!

from ingebrigtsen wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

phantom, cos he looks like the phantom of the opera with that mask of dark ;)

from GeeEmm wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

To me, he looks like "Patch" or "Bandit"

from dighunter wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Buck or Otis

from tstep522 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Harvey, as in Harvey Dent (Two Face) in the Batman films.

from clutzylou wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

chompsky
;o)~

from Diana Smith wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Harley . I think it fits him .

from Diana Smith wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Harley . I think it fits him .

from Miz RC wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Rake

from Jim Camenzind wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

I'm a fan of country music, I was thinking of naming my next dog after a country music legend, once my Chessie(Diesel) starts getting up in years. I was thinking names like Waylon, Willie, Hank, Earle, Johnny. Just some ideas.

from Brian Lynn wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Here ya go...Chad ;)

Call name: Trace
Registered name: Chad Love Buffalo Trace

Or

Registered name: Many Blogs To Be Written About Me
Call name: Blog

from dtownley wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

I think RAKE was great or RAEFE but the dog screams Dusty, you got to be able to yell it, DUSTY ! or HEY !, DUST ! Come here Ole Dust. Usually take me awhile but I watch their ears & eyes when I call them out.

from grizzlyhunter2 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

You could call him Mischief, since he's good (white) with a touch of the dark side; or John Wayne (Johnny) since he looks like Rooster Cogburn with his eye patch; or Rooster.

from murdock32 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Ruger.

from dtownley wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

The more I look at his nose, Pepper, PEPPER ! HEY PEP ! Here comes the Pepper !

from Lloyd Dalton wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

I think Hawkeye would fit pretty well with the look this pup is giving the wing.

from Tom-Tom wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

What would be more appropriate than "Dammit"? as in "Dammit, come here. "Dead bird, Dammit, dead bird".

Perhaps a safer name would be " Boomer ".

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Okay, a British name ... how about Reginald ("Reggie"). Or Percy? Nope, forget that ... he might take to wearing heels and makeup. I wanted to name our son Gonzalo but my wife wouldn't hear of it (sigh!). Though not really a British name it does figure prominently in one of Shakespear's plays. Could call him Gonzo for short? Speaking of names from the Bard, there's also Falstaff (formerly a tolerable cheap beer) or Mountjoy (but probably not if you don't intend to breed the pup - no sense in giving him false expectations). Could call him Monty for short. Buckingham would work (aka "Buck") as would Beaufort ("Beau"). Willoughby might strike your wife's fancy. You could just call him Will when she's not around. And there's the Earl of Worcester, another character from Richard II. When not in uniform the pup could answer to Chester. How about "Abhorson" the executioner from "Measure for Measure." That would be appropriate! "Sonny" for short? I always like Balthazar but too many syllables. Same thing with Erpingham (from Henry V) - a great nickname for babies during the spit up stage. Mortimer ("Mort") from Henry VI? Macduff sounds rather doggy and would be quite appropriate for a pointing dog ("Lead on, Macduff"). Montague (another "Monty")? How about Lord Scroop (from Henry V)? Brings to mind every dog-owner's most undesirable duty. Sir Toby Belch from the "Twelfth Night" was always my kinda guy. Maybe you could do something with that?

Well, that was a lot of fun. Should be something in there you can use. If so, I demand the pup's firstborn.

from Ivan Gregory Brown wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Sammy

from badcapone wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

How about Jake or Tuck

from Jere39 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Pete, call him Petey. He looks like a "little rascal" already

from obieone wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

how about "Love's Wind zingers bluff!" call him "whip" for his call name.

from obieone wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

okay, i also like "Trooper" for this pup. he looks like a real Trooper.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Hmmm. Now that I think about it, Falstaff would fit well if you decide to have the pup neutered. Heh, heh.

from bassman06 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Chad, you could always go with some old Greek, Norse or Roman god of the hunt, never fails.

from bruisedsausage wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Or maybe, just maybe, "Keen Eye"? pronounced just like Kenai Ak.

from nicktyler wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Muddy

A few English names from Dickens' works:

Noddy Boffin from "Our Mutual Friend"
Artful Dodger - "Oliver Twist"
Chickenstalker (no kidding, it was one of the characters in "The Chimes" - call him Chick for short)
Grainger - "David Copperfield"
Gaffer Hexham - "Our Mutual Friend"
Seth Pecksniff - "Martin Chuzzlewit"
Mr Spottletoe - "Martin Chuzzlewit"

from wswim wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

I wanted to name my dog tumor. Didn't go over well with the family. We finally compromised on Phlem so Tumor is still open. Phydeau is also a good one.

from Louzianajones wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Stinkie

from Gary Devine wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

If your puppy is going to hunt birds then two names I like are "Hunter" or "Falcon".

from Trapper Vic wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Had a st bernard who always was slobering and spilling his water - named him Daupus (sloppy ass in german)

two springers male and female - rebel yell and dixie bell

big ole lab x something - called hin barkley (for charles)also liked to bark!

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Easy, with that blind eye patch, he looks like Captain Morgan, so call him Morgan, Morgan and Jenny, ya, that has a nice ring to it.
I ain't no bird dog man, but I do love eng. setters. More personality than eng. pointers and this one look like he is full of himself. I wish you many fine years behind him, congrats on the new family member (how could your wife not love this guy?).

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Well, Robert, that was almost a good idea. Except that Captain Morgan doesn't wear an eye patch. I probably would have made the same mistake since I don't drink rum or any other hard stuff. Strictly a light beer guy. Maybe I am a lighweight ... or maybe you haven't seen what a bottle of booze costs up here.

Hmmm. The pirate theme got me to thinking. Who was that blind guy in Treasure Island that showed up at the Adminral Benbow Inn to deliver the Black Spot ... oh yeah, "Blind Pew". Well, that just about fits this pup on both counts. Lots of other worthy hunting dog names in that classic English pirate tale: Billy Bones, Ben Gunn, Redruth (Squire Trelawney's gamekeeper), Israel Hands (Capt Flint's gunner), and Mr. Arrow (good name for a pointer!). "Arghh, pisses at eight, pisses at eight."

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Edward James "Jim" Corbett the famous Brittish hunter, conservationist, and author of Man-Eaters of Kumaon. There are a pile of run offs from those names. Take your pick, good luck and congrats!

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

One can find some illustrious but rarely heard noble names in the early history of England that might make interesting monikers for a dog.

Canute the Great
or his son Harold Harefoot
Venerable Bede (or rather "Bead" for the sight plane on shotgun - hmmm ... got me to thinking of re-chrstening myself)
Edward Longshanks (Edward I also known as "Hammer of the Scots" - a choice that likely wouldn't endear you to any of your kilted friends)
William the Conquerer ("Billy")

from bjohnston wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Thunder Chief

Monty

Shake Down

Albert

Stryker

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

cachorro.. its pronounced cash o ro. its protegees it means simply dog.

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

my wife is from Brazil so when my inlaws come over its easy for them and kinda funny too.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

A few possible "rugged" dog names come to mind from James Fenimore Cooper's works: Natty Bumppo, Leatherstocking, Hawkeye, Pathfinder, and Hector [Bumppo's trusty dog].

Leatherstocking = Sox
Pathfinder = Finder as in "Find 'er"

from kdmckin33 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

I would go with Janus, the two-faced god from Roman mythology.

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

Ik its to late, but shoulda named Jack O'Conner, and used Conner, or I woulda used hemingway.. but being a 18 year old male college student it would have been so i seem more cultured showing my fancy named pup to some hot english majors haha (not main purpose for dog tho)

from ggmack wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Hunter_Fass wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from vasportsman wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Huey

from cunninghamww wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from srlarson wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

First i like short names....easy for commands

for looks - Patch

others: Ruger, Jack (Jack and Jenny)

Good luck...gotta luv puppies!!

from GregMc wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

How about Teddy?
We've never needed another Teddy Roosevelt like we need one now

from ingebrigtsen wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

phantom, cos he looks like the phantom of the opera with that mask of dark ;)

from Tom-Tom wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Perhaps a safer name would be " Boomer ".

from VAHunter540 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Throwback: Buck(Call of the Wild) or Old Dan (where the red fern grows)
For the Kids: Tramp (lady and the tramp)

from coyute wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from kansasjeff wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I'd go with "Harvey" or "Dent" by looking at him.

from peppeli wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from redfishunter wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Cash

from Equack wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I named my dog Oreo because she is black and white....bad decision!

from Wags wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

His Magnificence Albert of Chad's Kennel. Or.. well.. Mack.

from murdock32 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Ruger.

from Bernie wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

He looks like an "Otis" to me!

from Levi Banks wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from dighunter wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Buck or Otis

from Double D wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Jnelson64 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

You could use some important conservation (and preservation) figures like:

"Aldo" or "Leopold" - Aldo Leopold author of Sand County Almanac
"Gifford" or "Pinchot" - Gifford Pinchot helped create the US Forest Service
or
"Muir" - John Muir helped create the National Park Service

"Opie" - Opie Taylor just for $h!ts and Giggles

Name it Jake and you can play Pirates of the Mississippi to it.

from Trapper Vic wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

two springers male and female - rebel yell and dixie bell

big ole lab x something - called hin barkley (for charles)also liked to bark!

from uplander12 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

What's the breeding on him? Sometimes you can get ideas from the parents names.

from ckRich wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Kris24 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Trigger or Gunner are a couple that come to mind.

from Kris24 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

You could go with Tough, Tuff, or mabe just Fart would be appropriate.....LOL.

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

cachorro.. its pronounced cash o ro. its protegees it means simply dog.

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from clutzylou wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

chompsky
;o)~

from bjohnston wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Thunder Chief

Monty

Shake Down

Albert

Stryker

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

A few English names from Dickens' works:

Noddy Boffin from "Our Mutual Friend"
Artful Dodger - "Oliver Twist"
Grainger - "David Copperfield"
Gaffer Hexham - "Our Mutual Friend"
Seth Pecksniff - "Martin Chuzzlewit"
Mr Spottletoe - "Martin Chuzzlewit"

Canute the Great
or his son Harold Harefoot
William the Conquerer ("Billy")

Leatherstocking = Sox
Pathfinder = Finder as in "Find 'er"

from c.moro wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

He looks like he has a big heart and alot of soul... I would call him "Jazz"

from dtownley wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from dtownley wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

The more I look at his nose, Pepper, PEPPER ! HEY PEP ! Here comes the Pepper !

from TAM9492 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Dave

from TAM9492 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Sampson

from tcomp wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Thor.. probably the coolest dog name out there.

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Ishmael (Ish) (or Herman), Tom Joad (or Jim Casey), or Clint.

from Lloyd Dalton wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from buckeyebob wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

King George

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Call him Rick Flair! Whoooooooo!

from Miz RC wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Rake

from bhvr777 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Leeroy

from bruisedsausage wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

"Olla podrida"

from bruisedsausage wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

My last post was kinda a joke, but "Venator" would be a fitting name.

from bruisedsausage wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Or maybe, just maybe, "Keen Eye"? pronounced just like Kenai Ak.

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from kansasjeff wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

cute little guy

from Louzianajones wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Stinkie

from obieone wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

how about "Love's Wind zingers bluff!" call him "whip" for his call name.

from obieone wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

okay, i also like "Trooper" for this pup. he looks like a real Trooper.

from Jere39 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Pete, call him Petey. He looks like a "little rascal" already

from FishingnotCatching wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from badcapone wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

How about Jake or Tuck

from grizzlyhunter2 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from paulie3033 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

His name should be Remington or "Remmy" for short.

from UplandHunter001 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from sgtsly wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

His temperment sounds more like a teenage girl. You could call him Miley.

from KNX wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from smccardell wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Roland Deschain Love

from smccardell wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Or if that's not good enough you can go with Guinness...

from berniedog wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from tstep522 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Harvey, as in Harvey Dent (Two Face) in the Batman films.

from BaboosicBomb wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Pheasantbane.
Or Sir Bartholemew Tibbits the 3rd.

from Hondarider3278 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Gauge, Case, Remington or something of that sort

from Meerpj26 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from klepper wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Apollo?

from ITHACASXS wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Joey. He looks like a Joey. Then you would have "Jenny and Joey"

from bassman06 wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from Redwidow wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Others to consider:

Mythology = go with Zeus
Religious = go with Soloman, or Solo for short
Gun Enthusiast = go with Trigger, Trig, Bolt, Slide, etc
Love to wear camo? = go with Mossy for MossyOak
Love to sleep = go with ZZzz although it's hard to yell
Love History = Winston, Abe, Wright, Obama (SIKE!!!)

Best of luck!

from Chayton Gilcher wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

cuddels the destroyer of worlds

from nicktyler wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Muddy

from Gary Devine wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from DrewJohnson4646 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Jim Camenzind wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from Jan Marie wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Casey Faucher wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Best dog we ever owned was a Dachshund named "Hank." He was a legend!

from Brendon Riehl wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Call him gypsy or gyp(jip) for short.

from Brendon Riehl wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Call him gypsy or gyp(jip) for short.

from jobmorri wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Leonidas....he'd be the most bada$$ hunting dog out there...Leo for short

from Kristi Reeves S... wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from GeeEmm wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

To me, he looks like "Patch" or "Bandit"

from Diana Smith wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Harley . I think it fits him .

from Diana Smith wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Harley . I think it fits him .

from Brian Lynn wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Here ya go...Chad ;)

Call name: Trace
Registered name: Chad Love Buffalo Trace

Or

Registered name: Many Blogs To Be Written About Me
Call name: Blog

from Ivan Gregory Brown wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

Sammy

from wswim wrote 2 years 2 weeks ago

from kdmckin33 wrote 2 years 1 week ago

I would go with Janus, the two-faced god from Roman mythology.

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago