Petzal: A Cautionary Tale About Lighter Fluid

The Gun Nuts

October 28, 2010

Petzal: A Cautionary Tale About Lighter Fluid

By David E. Petzal

Lighter fluid is one of the handier things a gun nut can have on hand. It’s a great degreaser, and because of the bottles in which it comes you can dispense tiny amounts, which makes it economical. My last 12-ounce bottle of Ronson lighter fuel lasted me more than a decade, and when it ran out I went into the local hardware store to ask for a new one.

“Aisle three, on the left,” said the clerk, but when I went there all I saw was charcoal igniter and bottles of butane.

“Not seeing lighter fluid,” I said, so the clerk went back to aisle 3 and came back with a bottle of butane.

“No, not butane,” said I, growing enraged, “lighter fluid. You know, wick, flint, spin wheel, make spark, get flame?”

It was obvious that the 30-something clerk did not know, and was about to hit the Enraged Geezer Alert Button under the counter, so I left quickly and went to another store where I had virtually the same experience, except that the guy who brought me the butane had about as good a command of English as I do of Tagalog.

My solution was to go to a tobacconist, where they not only carry Zippos and Ronsons, but know what lighter fluid is, and sell it. I bought lots. Lighter fluid is terrific for degreasing base-screw holes in receivers, and for scope-mount screws in general. If you hose down your trigger with it at least once a year it will keep your trigger happy and your rifle will not go off accidentally because of gunk, and you will not find yourself on CNBC.

from Mjenkins1 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I guess Ill go buy some, mainly because I do not want to be on CNBC.

from K. Oney wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

sounds good. i see a minor flaw id dousing your trigger in lighter fluid though, isnt that lighter-fluid doused trigger awfully close to your fire-spewing action? hahaha, i dont see problems with that. not too much heat goes down there

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from TJ wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

You can also get it at the large pharmacy stores

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

i get the zippo fluid from the local gas station

from Dcast wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Thanks for the laugh Petzal! I can hear the coversation now you ask him something and he answers "YEH" for everything, I have had many of those types of conversations!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

For cleaning Remington 700 trigger assembly, a good douching of carburetor cleaner then rinsed thoroughly with Coleman fuel then dried with a hair dryer followed by a couple of drops oil. Carburetor cleaner as with any solvent leaves a residue which oil doesn’t adhere to. Since Coleman Fuel is derived from oil formally known as kerosene, it removes the solvent residue leaving the surface perfect for oiling. Years ago when I was active shooting, I would have depleted my neighborhood of Lighter Fluid. Found Coleman Fuel a better substitute cheaper and more plentiful. Speaking of Lighter Fluid, weather is starting to get cold and I need to find my old hand warmer.

You know when its cold is when you propane bottles have no pressure and antifreeze jugs are frozen solid!

When it’s so cold, tossing hot coffee into the air never hitting the ground, nothing beats a Zippos and Ronsons!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Try methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), works great!

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Clay, there you go again talking about Alaska haha.
Dave, sounds good I will get some.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Del, what's wrong with Alaska! Personally, I would rather be in New Mexico myself. But with my luck, my old hunting ground probably has been turned into a Wal-Mart paring lot or "Time Share" Cottages of some sort!!

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Speaking of New Mexico, sure like to get access back out on Whitesand Missile Range for a couple of days. I've located the actual vicinity of the Lost Noss Mine while hunting. Everyone is looking in the wrong place!

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Dave, As usual your advice was right on. When you wrote up the Buck Ergo hunting knife I looked at one and had to have it at my local Cabelas. Not only is it a beauty with the rosewood scales, after gutting a mulie buck and a cow elk it will still shave my arm. That included splitting the pelvis and ribcage on the buck.

from pmariman wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Well David you are a "Enraged Geezer" most of the time with good reason to be enraged. Thank God for you and common sense. Keep up the good work!

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Clay, nothing wrong with AK, I love the place.

Just looked outside and couple pilgrims are skinning a hogfat little forkhorn mulie on the motel meatpole. One guy in our group shot a real nice 4X4 yesterday. WAM should be back from the woods in a few. We will hunt again this afternoon and maybe a couple more days before heading home. It has been fun and we have seen loads of game. I'm already looking forward to the whitetail rut in Kansas. Left my trailcam aimed at a huge scrape before leaving on this trip and want to see what pics it got.

from 007 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

DEP, while not quite as long in the tooth but just as gray of beard as you, I see nothing wrong with enraged geezer. The way I see it, it's a badge of honor to reach that plateau. I released my inner geezer on a young moron a couple of weeks ago, told a buddy of mine that at our age (early 50's), we no longer have to be nice to idiotic kids. That is, unless you consider our generation to be kids too. haha

from Teodoro wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I have little problem finding lighter fluid at drug stores down here. I think I got my Ronson at an Eckerd Drug or something up in New Jersey. It's still got tons left, but I needed some last winter on my way to a hiking trip. First gas station I stopped at had a bottle of Zippo.

from npdion wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Fine, but what would an organic chemist call "lighter fluid"? Certainly not lighter fluid.

from Steve in Virginia wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Great tip!

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

good tip!!

Thinking about the availability of lighter fluid,

What ever happen to Break-Free® in a bottle, one drop at a time instead of the spray bomb. I don't like the spray cans or the new WD40 cans with that flip up sprayer!

“Our job is to give people not what they want, but what we decide they ought to have.”
-Richard Salant, former President of CBS News

Sound familiar!

from Dotcomaphobe wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I love Ronson lighter fluid. I use it to clean all metal parts- particularly the saddles of electric guitars! It's a wonderful metal cleaner.

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Great article on cleaning your rifle from the latest issue of F&S, Dave, and now my wife knows how she can "surprise" me at Christmas. As for lighter fuel, I'll stock up the next time I get in to the city. And Clay, carb cleaner is great at keeping chiggers and ticks away.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I can still find lighter fluid.

I also worry about geezing too much without knowing it.

I was in a discussion with a co-worker about fast food joints...

Me: "No, I quit going to Hardee's when they quit carrying the huskee."

Him: "The what?"

from BlackCrowes wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Gettin old is cool

from dick mcplenty wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Why would you go to a hardware store to buy something that is 99% used by smokers? Walgreens,Walmart etc.Common sense isn't so common anymore.

blackdawgz

Was at Basspro over by Tulsa OK a couple of weeks ago and some fella was returning a muzzle loader he bought there. He said he lives out of town some two hour drive to buy this rifle.

I see your point and a good one at that!

DARN! BD

That has negative barometric pressure of great magnitude!

Translation,

THAT SUCKS!

Get R' Fixed?

from J4huntfish wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

ZIPPOS are the best lighters ever. besides their is nothing better than lighter fluid when you have pine ptc on your hand

from Gman wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I quit smokin' 20 years ago last Wednesday, but gosh, I loved my Zippo.

The lighter that tied us the Korean War.

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

As a proud and happy smoker, and Zippo user, I can tell you Dave that the fluid is also excellent to remove chewing gum from my granddaughters hair.

from linhuojian wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

sfsds

from Nathan Pinney wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

be careful if you use MEK use chemical resistant gloves and an organic vapor respirator. You only have one set of lungs.

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I would leave MEK and acetone alone unless you know how to take proper respiratory and contact precautions.

from ChevJames wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I had a big, greasy "tar" stain on one of my Nylon "outdoors" shirts. It had gone through the wash cycle numerous times after being pre-treated with Dawn dishwashing liquid and Oxyclean. No effect. But some lighter fluid and a toothbrush destroyed that tar! Highly recommended!

from Bad Juju wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Clay Cooper; Instead of carb cleaner, try brake claner - supposedly no additives and leaves no residue.

from Scott Jones wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Clay,

The reason the stores don't stock Break-Free in little squeeze bottles anymore is that you buy one and you're done for a couple of years. A single one ounce squeeze bottle has enough oil in it to lube any gun you have all season because you put a drop of oil where it needs to go AND NO WHERE ELSE. With a spray can you spray it where you want it and then wipe the rest off the rest. Both result in a lubed gun, but the spray can gets bought probably ten to one. Wally World execs see that they sell ten times as many spray cans and decide to stock them instead of the squeeze bottles. When I can find it I still buy Break-Free in the little squeeze bottles.

from p852pck wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Ronsonol lighter fluid is basically naptha (get VMP Naptha at the big home inprovement stores by the quart)
The lighter fluid may be a bit higher purity and may have a little scent added, but for degreasing why spend for the lighter fluid)
MEK and Acetone are also great degreasers and acetone evaporates much more quickly than anything else.
Above all, well vented area, no open fire or flame and avoid skin contact. Same advice for anything but water.
I also use brake parts cleaner and Gumout spray carb and choke cleaner, The aerosols add a bit of extra power wash action.
Last, a great bore cleaner for .22RF, cast lead bullet shooting and for shotguns can be made ( Found this in Hatcher's Notebook) by the following:
Equal parts of:
Kerosene
DexronII Automatic Transmission Fluid
Acetone, and
Turpentine.

I make it by the gallon and still have half a gallon after 5 years and some give away. Glass jug or chemically resistant plastic jug with tight lid is best, or even a gallon paint thinner can.
Yes, paint thinner/mineral spirits can be used in place of pure gum turpentine. BUT the real turp smells so much better.
The combination of solvent removes lube and powder reside alog with wad residue, and the DexronII leaves behind a thin film of lube behind. No need for oiling bore with anything else.
Save your copper removing solvent for when you really have that problem.
LAST; With any of these solvents/cleaners, keep them off your wood finishes or laminated or plastic stocks, as well as plastic lens scope covers. Severe permantent damage can result.

from Joe Kidd wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

MEK is evil stuff. Use naptha or break cleaner.

from nelsol wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Not that many would care, but lighterfluid works great when installing new golf club grips. Just wet down the double stick tape, coat the inside of the new grip with the stuff, and slide her on. Sets up and ready for use in about 20 minutes.

from kudukid wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Sperm whale oil is also top-notch for many of the applications mentioned here...

Though I've always had trouble getting them to give up their sperm.

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Lighter fluid is a great solvent. It can be used to thin varnish for deep penetration on gunstocks as a first coat on bare wood to seal the pores.
It is also handy for dissolving the glue remaining on glass bottles after removing paper labels.

from The_UTP wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Lighter fluid is just naptha. I use naptha all the time for woodworking (it removes the oils in certain woods that make them hard to glue) and when working on my car. Nothing cuts the grease on your hands like a splash of that stuff. I've never had trouble finding naptha locally, and that's in California, where your kids' juice boxes must be registered with several environmental agencies.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from sarg wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Hey Clay, It was so cold here in Kentucky last winter that after leaving a box of 9MM's on the back porch, I shot them in my .25 auto...

from muindawg wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

lighter fluid has carcinogens in it The_UTP. don't use it as a hand cleaner. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic at a cat dealership. there has been several of my close friends who have cancer as a result of prolonged skin contact with solvents. use gloves and good ventilation. i use alcohol at above 90%i don't use oil till after the season cause the oil can cause a firearm to malfunction in extreme cold. i do however coat the outside with rem oil. i love those Remington products. i have used lighter fluid to clean problem firearms also as i am a gunsmith. make sure you use proper protection and remember it is highly flammable. your children and grand children should get to know you.

from Cgull wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Back when I carried a Zippo tired of Naptha burns on my leg and switched to Everclear. The Everclear burnt just a good and no more leg burns. Should clean just as good as Naptha.

from Carl Huber wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

My dad was a house painter, he bought Naptha/paint thinner by the gallon. Used it to light the Bar-B-Q it was a tenth of the price and no smell. Try a paint suply house.

from chris casey wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Yeah Dave we are having fun with these new "clerks" these days,like when I made the mistake of asking for distilled water at the local drug store. The high school gal behind the counter never heard of it and then filled the order form for it for me as "sissle water".
I tried to explained thats not what I wanted, it was water heated up and made to be free of minerals. Yeah she was ready for pushing the button. I guess she never had chemistry.

from RJ Arena wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

What a great post! when I was a kid I worked at a golf course and I used lighter fluid to put grips on clubs.worked like a charm! I have a Zippo that uses the stuff, but I have to admit that I prefer using a butane lighter for my cigars.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Why didn't you go to Safeway or Walmart for distilled H2O? They sell it by the gallon for about a buck twenty nine. At the drug store you would pay 10x that. All I use for steam iron and coolant mix for vehicles.

from The White Slug wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Caution: This is how Jesco White got started.

from DeadDog1234 wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago

And I thought It was just me having a supply and demand problem. I now have 4 bottles in reserve, just in case it also gets outlawed.

from JImp wrote 3 years 19 weeks ago

Another product that seems to have disappeared is powdered pumice. It used to be the standard product for hand-rubbing finishes. Last month I hunted all over for it with no luck (I was going to hand-rub a refinished gun stock). I tried the box stores, a local franchise hardware store, and multiple paint stores. At one paint store, they knew what it was, but hadn't carried it for three or four years. At all the rest, I had to explain to them what it was and why I wanted it.

from Mjenkins1 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I guess Ill go buy some, mainly because I do not want to be on CNBC.

from pmariman wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Clay, nothing wrong with AK, I love the place.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I can still find lighter fluid.

I also worry about geezing too much without knowing it.

I was in a discussion with a co-worker about fast food joints...

Me: "No, I quit going to Hardee's when they quit carrying the huskee."

Him: "The what?"

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from TJ wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

You can also get it at the large pharmacy stores

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

i get the zippo fluid from the local gas station

from Dcast wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Clay, there you go again talking about Alaska haha.
Dave, sounds good I will get some.

from Del in KS wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Teodoro wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from npdion wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Steve in Virginia wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Great tip!

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

good tip!!

from Dotcomaphobe wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from ChevJames wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from sarg wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Try methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), works great!

Thinking about the availability of lighter fluid,

-Richard Salant, former President of CBS News

Sound familiar!

from dick mcplenty wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

blackdawgz

I see your point and a good one at that!

DARN! BD

That has negative barometric pressure of great magnitude!

Translation,

THAT SUCKS!

Get R' Fixed?

from J4huntfish wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Gman wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

I quit smokin' 20 years ago last Wednesday, but gosh, I loved my Zippo.

The lighter that tied us the Korean War.

from Bad Juju wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Scott Jones wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Clay,

from p852pck wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Equal parts of:
Kerosene
DexronII Automatic Transmission Fluid
Acetone, and
Turpentine.

Save your copper removing solvent for when you really have that problem.

from BlackCrowes wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Gettin old is cool

from linhuojian wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

sfsds

from Nathan Pinney wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Joe Kidd wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

MEK is evil stuff. Use naptha or break cleaner.

from nelsol wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from kudukid wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

Though I've always had trouble getting them to give up their sperm.

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from muindawg wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Cgull wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from Carl Huber wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from chris casey wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from RJ Arena wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 24 weeks ago

from The White Slug wrote 3 years 23 weeks ago

Caution: This is how Jesco White got started.

from DeadDog1234 wrote 3 years 22 weeks ago