Petzal: Test Your Reaction Time

The Gun Nuts

July 15, 2009

Petzal: Test Your Reaction Time

By David E. Petzal

The essayist Roy Blount wrote back in the ‘70s that the difference between professional football players and other football players is Great Quick. I’m not sure how much good Great Quick does for rifle shooters, but it sure as hell helps shotgunners ...In 1973, I was at the Grand American Trapshooting Championship at Vandalia, Ohio and got a chance to walk down the line marveling at a young Texan named Britt Robinson, who was then a terror on the trap circuit and became the youngest man ever inducted into the ATA Hall of Fame. Robinson broke birds before normal people could see them. He’d call for the target and the report of his gun would come with no discernable interval. PULLBANG!

However, speed alone is no guarantee of hitting anything. One of the fastest shots I’ve ever seen—a skeet shooter by preference—did no better than average on a Sporting Clays course where you have to look at the birds for a split second to see what angle they are taking. He would get his shots away before I could even get my gun up, but he was not seeing the angles.

In any event, you can take this easy test in the comfort of your own home and see how quick you are. Just click the screen when the dot changes color. If you are too slow, drink more coffee, or chew ibogaine root, or administer electric shocks to yourself. And if Phil Bourjaily would like to write something about rifles, my having poached on his territory, that’s fine by me.

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Can't get past .23 average. Would be interested in other results.

from Douglas wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I can shoot a shotgun pretty fast. I just can't hit anything with it. Just ask all the waterfowl, grouse, etc. still in the air.

from Big C wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I tried it twice and had .274 and .254 averages - probably slower than most. I don't shoot often enough so I am not that fast or accurate.

from awill95 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.205 average

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.216 is my best I'll have to try again at a different time.

from Asherdan wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

0.206

I'm going to take this into consideration next range trip when I'm working with rifle offhand at 50 yards and trying to time the trigger pull to the dancing front sight. Maybe something useful will come out of it.

In 2 tenths of a second, how much can POI move @ 50 yards due to tremor? Guess I'll try to find out for me.

from DANO wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.178 average of 3 tries

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.235 for me. I am not lightning quick, but I have always believed in shotgunning the trick is, as someone put it
"to make haste with deliberation."

from yohan wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Did it once av .223 ,.. last was best
.136 (scared me yuk yuk)
Figure that not bad for little sleep.No dragging but by market close ,. no doubt will be.
Buddy blew in unecpectedly rulting in slight celebration last evening
( with scoth Blue ridge) ,..and a couple butt kickin german beers not hoppies # 9.Desided dont like Hoppies yuk yuk.

Its true tho,.. remember when boxing (amauture never a pro) good conditioning together with intentionally honeing reaction time cat get results that are just spooky,.quick.
One time I tagged a guy with a left counter then a right ,.. (know it souds like maybe B.S )
But it happened actually almost before i knew I did it
My opponent however was very aware as,.. that was that,. for that bout. Anticlimactic really from were I stood.

Now so I dont appear to only talk about my successes

Also had a guy catch ME like that ,.. I knew the guy was not just fast but really fast and a heavy puncher from short range
( This was lightheavy wt division so the lights can go out quickly )
I stayed out of that short range dangeer zone and tried to move him counter clockwise to stay away from his right ( he had a big right ) .. zapped him a couple good ones and he staggard. Thought I had him,. moved in to finish it ,.
Next thing I know Im in a different zip code
Not down but running ,.. my head knew what my arms and legs should be doing ,. but I could quiet make the connection.
Then then bell rung which saved my Norwegian a$$

Yup better to have quick reaton time YUK YUK
have a nice day

from steve182 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.228. Pretty cool

from alabamahunter wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.179 was my average on three go-rounds.

from yohan wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Douglas ,. you made me laugh,. thank you,. the gift of laughter is waaay under appreciated
Tell ya why

We lived onte edge of no where not far from a ciy
Part of our group ws a a little Italian guy who we called sarg (I assume )not our sarg .
and for reason not at all military .
We were great friends ,as boys who grow up togethre
tend to be
Friends ..to the point were in our late teens one time when he got few to mamy beers in him and punched me off a Harly I was siting on
I ddnt even get mad ( more suprised than anythng )
After I got up I just asked why it the hell he did that. Suffice to say on that day at that time under those circumstances he had his reasons ,. so we got past that no problem ,. so re jaw ,. but no problem

Any way one of his relatives who's realtionship to sarg shall not be divuldged ( due priomarily due to his then local status as low rung "wise guy" ) won a nice o/u in a poker game which he gave to sarg .
Think is was a browning ,.. but not sure ,. Nicest piece any of us had to be sure .

Sarge was so dam fast on the tigger it got so
"the bell" for the rest of us to shoot (susally two or three ) was after his shot.
Never forget it ,.. his face would get all screwed up and contorted when some one else killed what ever it was that was flying or running or hopping after he shot.
But he never said a word no matter how much we teased him ,. even to the point of giving him the new name
Our own Sicilian ( sp ?) Quix Draw NcGraw yuk yuk
( which for those of you born after the 60;s was an old cartoon charter who's contemporary was El Kabong)

And ya know as fast as he was,. every now and then ole sarge would actually hit somethiong,..yuk yuk
But it was so darn close it ususally resembled 3 day old road kill .
One day we finally found out why "the sarg" would alwasys shoot so fast.
He showed up wth glases on.so we all were curious how come ,. well ,. it turned out ole Sarg couldnt see much passed than the end of his gun ,.. until the glasses ,..
Then his grades went uop his attitude was better and he started hitting birds at a repectable distance ,.. I hope and pray he is as we speak doing OK
Thank you Douglas for the memeory and the laugh!

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.215, but with these speeds your mouse quality, internet connection, and processor speed could come into play. May need to have some trigger work done on my mouse to get an average under .20

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

My average was .214, not bad for a 46 year old.

from jasonb wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I averaged .209 over 3 attempts

from buckeye wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.187 was my average.

from yohan wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Hnag over is wearing off boys ,. just did it again
avearge was exactly same as buckeye .187 ,..
Not Bad for late 50's yuk yuk ,. and tomorrow it will be faster,.. yup

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

0.176 ... of course that was with my eyes up against the monitor.
I like your tests, David.

Your blog is never boring ...

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I averaged .215. The first was .265 and the rest were uniformly .203.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

My second round was .193.

I think the practical implication is that for doves and ducks, with enough action your success rate per shot will improve a little after the first couple rounds.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I guess my average is 0.000 since I can't see the image. Must be the 800 pound gorilla in the IT department...

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I got a .227 while on a conference call. I bet I can do better when I get off this phone.

from weswes088 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

0.313, best time so far. if only it translated into actual shooting

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

0.149...was my second round.
Kind of addicting!

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

My average is .175. But I consistently hit .100 on that last dot, the big one. Weird. After all, isn't it usually the big one that gets away?

from shane wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I would love for Bourjaily to write a rifles blog.

from snowninja wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.235 out of 3 tries. Interestingly though, I did better when i leaned back in my chair instead of getting up close to the computer.

from PbHead wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

How about different scores for different divisions like Junior, Prime, and dare I say, Vintage. Also do I get bonus points if my times were .375, .243 or .223?

from huntcamp wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.191 average, tried it a few times. Found myself trying to anticipate to much instead of just reacting. Quieckest reaction on 1 target .04.

from Carney wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I'm really slow compared to you other guys. Guess I'll have to make my slow shots count!

from Scott in Ohio wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Dave et. al.,

Regarding your earlier post, NICE PEOPLE and the reference in this post to the Grand American Trapshooting Championship at Vandalia, Ohio I wanted to share some information about a great experience.

I just returned from a day-long class held at the Camp Perry US Army Base near Sandusky, Ohio on Lake Erie. I understand that it is sponsored jointly by the NRA and the Civilian Marksmanship Program (initiated by Teddy Roosevelt as a result of the rather poor shooting skills of the average American soldier in the Spanish American War).

I was instructed (along with 350 other fine Americans) by the U.S. Army and U.S. Marine National Shooting Teams on how to shoot the official side arm of our armed forces, the M9 automatic pistol. In my first competitive match I ranked 228 out of 350. (I really blew the rapid-fire section of the match that calls for two flights of 5 shots in 10 seconds). I did not place as high as I had hoped, but, most of the shooters had been coming to the match for years. My match partner was from Tennessee and was a great guy. Later in August, Camp Perry hosts the World Long Rifle Championships and shooters from around the world travel to Ohio to compete on the 1,000 yard range using open sights. I have “visited” that match in the past and it just blows my mind how these guys can hit the target.

At the height of the action and to the sound of hundreds of pistols being discharged (at the targets), a mature Bald Eagle flew 50-yards in front of us and along the entire length of the range. I swear, tears were streaming down the cheeks of many of the proud, gun-toting, Americans. We knew in our souls this was a sign that the Almighty himself was smiling down on our efforts and the Second Amendment. Wish you were there!

p.s. Want to guess what it costs to get over 4 hours of classroom and on-the-range instruction from some of the finest pistol shots in the country - along with over 60 rounds of ammo?

Only $30 bucks!

from GiantWhitetails wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

once i got .249
3 times .196
after playin more i kept gettin around .24

from Ed J wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.174 on 2nd try.

Vintage class eh.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.227 is what i got which is pretty good. But fastness is nothing unless you have accuracy too. Training your mind to do both or having the talent to do both is a gift that not many people have.

from Carney wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Why does this game seem like a sugar problem? The goal is to get lower numbers but the results are not commensurate with the effort and time involved. Nevertheless, I am better at this with my right hand -- forgot that I injured my left wrist in the woodshop yesterday...

from ChevJames wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Hmmm . . .0.193 for a 59-year-old. I wonder how Doc Holliday would have done?

from BarkeyVA wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I'm 66-1/2. On my second attempt, I scored .193 average, with my fastest of .178, . (I accidently clicked before the light changed and incurred a penalty on my first attempt.) Will try again later to lower it.

from Quahog wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Very Vintage ------ 0.213 Penalty shots killed me.

from Ferber wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

A score did not appear when I finished the test. A turtle appeared. Oy. (An OYster is a person who sprinkles yiddishisms in his commentary).

from Ferber wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Oy. At test's end I didn't receive a score. A picture of a turtle DID appear. (OYster is a person who sprinkles yiddishisms in his commentary).

from Ferber wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

(I guess I was slow in seeing my own post)

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Got it down to .213. Last one (big circle) was .177! Scared the pee-waddin out of me, but I guess we do better with practice. I also like shooting the antelopes and buffs, etc.

from maitchbee wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

My average was .19.
Not bad for an older guy!:)

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.213 68 y/o Codger here

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I got a .224 on my second try. Not going to tell my first score, the dang game penalized me a full second for shooting early!

from duff wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.235, same as Phil. I got a big laugh when a lineman in one of last year's college football games blocked, then caught a pass, and ran 50 yards, under pursuit by another (offensive)linesman, for a TD. The announcer said-"they coulda timed that 50 yard run with a sundial". Against some of these scores, I feel a little heavy.
Neat exercise Dave! By the way, Phil did pinch some rifle blog action about 2 weeks ago. I think it was "would you buy bullets from this man?" or something like that.

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.201 Average, best was .171 on the last big dot, worst was .229 on next to last one. And BTW 48 years old here.

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Drank a 40 oz. Bud on the way home today, popped a Coors when I walked in the door, and just opened another can of Rocky Mountain goat piss when I decided to kick the kids off the computer and wow am I slow. .265 then .23. The funny thing is that when I play the game every time each consecutive try is faster than the last. The very first time my first try was .338 and the second time I played the game my first try was .308...
So what was Quick Draw McGraw's sidekick's name? The little bull you know who I mean...

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.209 .211 still slow but I did get a .137 on the last try of the third round. It's just never boring around here...

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

My son just got a .149.... now I'm really pissed.

from Carney wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I can't get lower than .24. I'm going to click this off now and go get a life.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

WOW some of you guys are almost as fast a the gunfighter played by Gene Wilder in "Blazing Saddles".

from duff wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Hey Dr. Ralph, was it Bobba Louie?

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Yeah that was it Duff... I couldn't come up with it and it was driving me crazy.

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

To Scott in Ohio: Very nice. Thank you for that.

from Nic Meador wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I made a shot on a quail in NW kansas. i was with a buddy and we didnt have any dogs, the bird didnt get 2 foot of the ground before i shot it. and on phesant and quail i am using my "startle" reflexes. especially if its a snowy day

from yohan wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Jeese Ralph! 40 Oz then 12,. then another can of Goat
"Pi$$" ?? ( good one by the way) Got a yuk out of that one .
Have tried goat CHEESE ,.. a little strong, but not too bad.
Can't say as Ive tried goat Pi$$ however Hmmm ? ,.. Curious ,.. does that go well with herring, hoppies and lefse ??
Similar ilk to "here i sit broken hearted shot my bennelie (sp?) and only,..
passed gas on monumental scale
No wonder you were just a tad slow on the draw.YUK YUK

But thats Ok,. as long as your not crackin backs or removing scar tissue or what ever it is you do.(notice the scope of work i employed ?)
Or ahhheeeem !! driving into trees or other less desireable objects.
Every now and again,. blowing out cobb webs not a bad thing.
Personally I like drinkin,.. especially scotch,. hoppies #9 not so much tho.
After taste a little strong,..

However,. the truth is Im not what would be considered by some to be very good at it.( drinking that is )
Which is something I know ,..so I watch it ,unless I know Im not going anywhere.
Then,... ?? I might "let it snap a little "
Especially if ( name omited to protect the innocent) and I decide to get multiple grills going for what we call
"Anual midwest surf and turf".
Never any trouble getting people to come to that one ,..
IE: grilled veison ,.grill smoked salmon,.. wild rice (sauted in grape seed oil & butter,. crushed and chopped garlic, celery,.onions currants , and shaved almonds,..
Cranberry sauce ,. grilled corn on the cobb in the husk. Plus what ever the femaile component decides is appropriate augmentation.
Now,.. that will soak up some whisky or calvados ( apple brandy ) beer and wine yuk yuk or maybe even goat P .

Also don't trust people who dont drink and or those who drink to much. Yohan rule #237,. if they dont drink at all watch em ,. if they drink too much,. stay at least two zip codes away.
As my Grandpa Olof used to s say
Stay clear of dat von,. cause for damn sure,. von vay or ta odder,. vot dey do sooner dan later gonna rub off on u.

Anyway ,. thanks for the offer on 7x57 ammo ,. really do appreciate it ,. but still on the fence.
As I have " a few guns" certianly not on a "Petzal scale" but a few ( less than 20)
Being what my friends refer to as "metric boy "
(which makes me laugh) ,.I do not own a 30-06.
I have shot them and hunted with them
Most guys that I know (who hunt ) have one,. or four, and for some reason.
They all want me to shoot / use one of theirs from time to time. IE "Nice people".
So not unfamilair with -06.

My father who prior assuming his place in the happy hunting ground was for a good part of his life a gun smith. .
Which as we know requires a machineist /mchanical background.
Add to that being a cabnet maker and carpenter,. with what was considered by some to be near genius for making delicate furnature,.
(IE;Norm Abrams-New Yankee workshop- aside from tools has little on him)

Goes withiout saying those combined skills lent them selves well to firearms especially rifles.
He also worked in ballistics for major ordinace company durring the "Vietnam conflict"
So aside from developing powder blends for the 5.56 Not to he extent but not unlike the two guys with the dream job ,..he shot hundreds and hundreds of test rounds,.. The differecne was his test shooting was in a protected underground range .

As a survivor of the Hurtgen ( sp ?) Forest battle ,.. the Battle of The Buldge and one of the first few troups through the gates of the Dachow ( sp?) concentration camp.
Knowing,. and I quote
"What the Krauts were doing in Norway" .
His hatred of all things Nazi and for a long time anything German,.. was simply put,..compete and total.

That said as a qualifier,..he was also a pragmatic man.
Later admiting the Germans probabaly forgot more about small arms and ballistic development than the rest of the world ever knew. UNTIL WWII,. at which time according to him the US did some helatious catching up.

He also ,..always thought, that while the 30-06 was a great round the 7x57 and the 8x57 were significantly more efficiant rounds.As was the German 88 mil cannon,

More over "his take" was that the .308 ( 7.62 nato )was an aquencence by the US to the "case efficiancy" of the 8x57 & 7X57.and the 8mm short ( precurser of AK round and Kolishnikoff (sp?) rifle.

Still,. his idea of one butt kicking load was a 200 gr pill from 30-06
That for sporting use on meduim sized game up to and icluding big game (with corecct bullets) .. that weight,. driven to appropriate velocity ( truth is I forget what exactly that was ) would out to 300 yds essentially negate the need for medium magnum rounds.
Unless someone decided to load up a 200 gr 8mm round to 2600 2700 fps,..
His thinking and ultimalty mine that if you start with the involuntary piddling in your skivies
Just before touching of the round ,. it less likley to go where you want it.

From the practicale side ,. i need another rifle
like Rush Limbau needs another prescription,. yuk yuk
But maybe just one more,.. in memory of the old gunsmith.

Still chewing on what that would be.
30-06 or 7x57 but leaning toward the -06
Have a good week !!

from Carney wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I can't believe we've let Petzal get away without recording his best / worst score...

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

The '06 has a special place in my heart Yohan. Partly because it was the one I used on my first deer, decades ago, and partly because it's a slam dunk round. My g'father in WW2 used it to shoot polar bears when he was on Greenland patrol, and also to put a few rounds into a Blohm und Voss flying boat in same duty... course it helped that his ship also had a 20mm mount... heh.

Anyhow. There's not an animal alive in North America that you can't do with an '06 and in the event of a Class 4 Zombie Outbreak or similar discombobulation it'd probably be the solution for just about anything.

from yohan wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Well Mr Diehl I'm getting there ,..but an -06 purchase would be based at least in part on the type of emotion h I am not good at.
My survival has been dependent on ratiional logical linieal deductive thinking,.
Not (for damn sure) ,..how good would I have been in the gun fight at OK corral.
Truth is I already know how I am in a fire fight ,.
Im scared sh*tless ,. then I'm really pi$$ed,and then I fight.That from memeory all takes about 3 seconds.

For what ever reason have been all of my life predisposed to metric chamberings,..
Frankly not sure why other than aside from being a bad ( very bad) typist which makes people think I can't spell yuk yuk ,. to some extent true.
Probabaly Im one of the more analytical people on the planet. Metric rounds are straight foreward as to what they are. In addition it is my basic opinion that
as romantic and heart warming as all the little bullets are. Presently sitting on top of all the little powder colums waiting to be shot.
We as a spiecies,. from a powder propellent and primer ignition system standpoint have pretty much done what there is to do. But it is still fun talking about guns and ammo and of course shooting.

Rough conversion rate of milimeters to inches
is 3or 4 to one,.. depending on what math your using

7mm x 4 is .28 pretty close to actual.284 same wih 8mm x 4 = .32 pretty close to .323js 6.5 x 4 is .26 etc etc .
If it says 6.5 or 7 or 8 or 9 mm your pretty sure what it is.
Based on projectile diamiter you pretty sure how much powder is sitting behind it or should be.
etc etc ,.. Also European rounds are just a little
on the tame side compared to US ordinace,.
From experiance ( haveing shot significntly more tha 100 whitetails ansd some other dtuff in my day ) with everthuing from a 22 to 12ga slug ,.
I can say that it is my (humble) personal opinion that a bullet of proper weight for the game being sought does not need to leave the barrel at warp 7.
Example being a 160 gr bullet ( with good sectional density ) leaving the pipe at 2600 fps will do the deed on everything from wabbits to meese ( rabbits to moose ) wih bears included.Should qualif here nevr shot a bear ,. kinda like em,.. so hard for me up to now,.. to whack one.
Of course the peoper tool for the purpose would mean bigger and badder for stuff that tends to bite or try to squash people,.

Thusly,.. if i can't quantify it( what ever it is ) ,.meaning to prove or disprove the theory or supposition or what ever( the hunch or scuttle butt is) based on real world data I will very likley stand way off.
Like the recent econimic C R A S H
In my humble opinion Steve wonder could see that one coming ,.. but our Naional leaders chose to ignore it.
I as always could get going on that but won' today ,. suffice to say if we don't change it now OIL will be very shortly be second,. to the strangle hold the health care industrty will soon have.

That said applying all my quantitateive and quatifying disaplines in additon to the idea that the old Gunsmith had a soft spot for the 06 ,..Not to mention the memory of dumping a prety nice buck running "hell bent for election" ( running like a horse not a deer)
accross a marsh in Northern Wi
With my buddies back up gun (browning 30-06 bolt) I will very likley in the next two or three days talk myself into one -06 .

And we thank you for your support yuk yuk

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Norma makes a 200 gr. factory load in the '06 if you don't roll your own or want to buy dies...

from country road wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Wish I'd found this sooner---scored .204 twice in a row and quit---not bad for retirement age.

from fisher girl wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

.251

from fisher girl wrote 4 years 32 weeks ago

Tried it 2 more times, got a .248 and a .26

from Scott in Ohio wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Dave et. al.,

Only $30 bucks!

from Douglas wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

"to make haste with deliberation."

from yohan wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Did it once av .223 ,.. last was best
.136 (scared me yuk yuk)
Buddy blew in unecpectedly rulting in slight celebration last evening

But it happened actually almost before i knew I did it

Now so I dont appear to only talk about my successes

( This was lightheavy wt division so the lights can go out quickly )
Next thing I know Im in a different zip code
Then then bell rung which saved my Norwegian a$$

Yup better to have quick reaton time YUK YUK
have a nice day

from yohan wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Tell ya why

We lived onte edge of no where not far from a ciy
and for reason not at all military .
We were great friends ,as boys who grow up togethre
tend to be
I ddnt even get mad ( more suprised than anythng )

Sarge was so dam fast on the tigger it got so
Our own Sicilian ( sp ?) Quix Draw NcGraw yuk yuk

But it was so darn close it ususally resembled 3 day old road kill .
One day we finally found out why "the sarg" would alwasys shoot so fast.
Thank you Douglas for the memeory and the laugh!

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

0.176 ... of course that was with my eyes up against the monitor.
I like your tests, David.

Your blog is never boring ...

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I averaged .215. The first was .265 and the rest were uniformly .203.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

My second round was .193.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

0.149...was my second round.
Kind of addicting!

from GiantWhitetails wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

once i got .249
3 times .196
after playin more i kept gettin around .24

from Ed J wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.174 on 2nd try.

Vintage class eh.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Ferber wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Can't get past .23 average. Would be interested in other results.

from Big C wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from awill95 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.205 average

from muskiemaster wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.216 is my best I'll have to try again at a different time.

from Asherdan wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

0.206

from DANO wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.178 average of 3 tries

from steve182 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.228. Pretty cool

from alabamahunter wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.179 was my average on three go-rounds.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

My average was .214, not bad for a 46 year old.

from jasonb wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I averaged .209 over 3 attempts

from buckeye wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.187 was my average.

from yohan wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Hnag over is wearing off boys ,. just did it again
avearge was exactly same as buckeye .187 ,..
Not Bad for late 50's yuk yuk ,. and tomorrow it will be faster,.. yup

from Sharkfin wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from weswes088 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

0.313, best time so far. if only it translated into actual shooting

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from snowninja wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from PbHead wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from huntcamp wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from ChevJames wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Hmmm . . .0.193 for a 59-year-old. I wonder how Doc Holliday would have done?

from BarkeyVA wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Quahog wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Very Vintage ------ 0.213 Penalty shots killed me.

from Ferber wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Ferber wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

(I guess I was slow in seeing my own post)

from crm3006 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from maitchbee wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

My average was .19.
Not bad for an older guy!:)

from Jere Smith wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

.213 68 y/o Codger here

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from duff wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

My son just got a .149.... now I'm really pissed.

from Carney wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I can't get lower than .24. I'm going to click this off now and go get a life.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from duff wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Hey Dr. Ralph, was it Bobba Louie?

from Tim Platt wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from davidpetzal wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

To Scott in Ohio: Very nice. Thank you for that.

from Nic Meador wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Carney wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I would love for Bourjaily to write a rifles blog.

from yohan wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Jeese Ralph! 40 Oz then 12,. then another can of Goat
"Pi$$" ?? ( good one by the way) Got a yuk out of that one .
Have tried goat CHEESE ,.. a little strong, but not too bad.
Similar ilk to "here i sit broken hearted shot my bennelie (sp?) and only,..
passed gas on monumental scale
No wonder you were just a tad slow on the draw.YUK YUK

Or ahhheeeem !! driving into trees or other less desireable objects.
Every now and again,. blowing out cobb webs not a bad thing.
Personally I like drinkin,.. especially scotch,. hoppies #9 not so much tho.
After taste a little strong,..

Then,... ?? I might "let it snap a little "
"Anual midwest surf and turf".
Never any trouble getting people to come to that one ,..

As my Grandpa Olof used to s say

Being what my friends refer to as "metric boy "
(which makes me laugh) ,.I do not own a 30-06.
I have shot them and hunted with them
Most guys that I know (who hunt ) have one,. or four, and for some reason.
So not unfamilair with -06.

Which as we know requires a machineist /mchanical background.
(IE;Norm Abrams-New Yankee workshop- aside from tools has little on him)

Knowing,. and I quote
"What the Krauts were doing in Norway" .

That said as a qualifier,..he was also a pragmatic man.

Still,. his idea of one butt kicking load was a 200 gr pill from 30-06
Unless someone decided to load up a 200 gr 8mm round to 2600 2700 fps,..
Just before touching of the round ,. it less likley to go where you want it.

From the practicale side ,. i need another rifle
like Rush Limbau needs another prescription,. yuk yuk
But maybe just one more,.. in memory of the old gunsmith.

Still chewing on what that would be.
30-06 or 7x57 but leaning toward the -06
Have a good week !!

from yohan wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Truth is I already know how I am in a fire fight ,.

Rough conversion rate of milimeters to inches
is 3or 4 to one,.. depending on what math your using

If it says 6.5 or 7 or 8 or 9 mm your pretty sure what it is.
etc etc ,.. Also European rounds are just a little
on the tame side compared to US ordinace,.

Like the recent econimic C R A S H