Cermele: Flukin' Largemouth

The Lateral Line

March 31, 2009

Cermele: Flukin' Largemouth

By Joe Cermele

When sketchy weather or prior obligations keep me close to home on weekends, my attention turns to largemouth. For me, bass have always been a fish good for killing a few hours in the local lakes and ponds, but I have never traveled to chase them in famed waters. I am, however, happy to report that I caught my first of the season Sunday, and they were pretty aggressive even though the spawn is nearly two months away and the water is still darn cold.

I'll be the first to admit that I am least in tune with largemouth. The best bass fishermen I know are engulfed in it. Obsessed with the things. They fish for them almost exclusively. Well, I'm just too A.D.D. to commit myself to one fish that whole-heartedly. Which means I will probably never be a bass pro.

Here's my one nuggest of bass wisdom...you tell me if it's a good philosophy or if I should stick to trout and salt. I'm going to say that the fluke-style soft jerkbait (Zoom, Bass Assassin, whichever you like) is the most versatile largemouth lure ever made. I've caught cold-water bass barely moving them on the bottom, summer bass ripping them across the surface, and spawning bass dancing them over the beds. No matter what time of year I'm fishing, a fluke is the first bait I'll tie on. A pink one claimed Sunday's fish. Anyone agree, or is there something better for a year-round attack?

JC

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

I live in Florida and have had great success with that very lure. It works very well, no matter what the season. Bass seem to love it and it generates pretty big hits, especially during the summer.

from chadlove wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Joe, funny you mention that. One day last week before we got our big blizzard here I walked over to the state park we live next because I knew it was going to be the last sunshine I saw for a few days.
I took a rod and a few soft jerkbaits to fish the park's pond and absolutely tore up the bass twitching a weightless five-inch red shad Tiki Stick, which is one of my favorite senko-type soft jerkbaits.
Like you, I've gotten to the point where a senko or a fluke-type bait is my number one choice year-round, but particularly late winter-early spring.
I love my spinnerbaits, but I've found that on days I'm catching fish on spinnerbaits I can almost always catch as many fish on soft jerkbaits, but the reverse is almost never true.
That's just me, of course and everyone else's mileage may vary.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Ok. So far it seems I'm not entirely bass inept. This is a good thing.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Flukes are no fluke in the spring when the water is cold but when the fish are active and biting I do the plug/spinner thing to cover lots of water at different depths.

Also in the summer when the water is warm and the fish are deep those soft plastics are slow to get to fish eye level.

I read a very good article in the most recent issue of F&S giving, in part, expert advice on bass fishing. It's a good read.

from Nemo wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Flukes are great, but I think a jig is more versatile. Jigs don't really get their due in the North or in ponds, and they maybe aren't as effective there. But in the West, Midwest and South, they are money.

Swim it, flip it, skip it, drag it, stroke it, bounce it, bump it, burn it, jig it -- a jig works at any depth in any water clarity on all bass species in any season. Careful jig selection will let you imitate any bait species as well, from bluegills to shad to crayfish.

For versatility, a jig is primo. I always have a jig of some kind tied on. Always.

from shane wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

They, along with similar sluggos are very effective and versatile.

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Flukes are fun!
I have fished them a lot,from farm ponds to bass tournaments, and have managed to put fish in the bucket and in the boat.

But, just as Nemo said,"jig is primo!" A jig is the go to, money bait. When fishin' the jig,for some reason, my fish are mostly larger.

While workin' the fluke, the fish seem to inhale everything, hook,line and slip sinker ...

Also,the fluke makes it more fun for my kids,than fishin' the jig.
Poppa's got to make it fun for the kids!

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

JC, dude, Yamamoto has came out with a new worm a while back you've got to check out. It's 8" long, but fairly narrow with a short u-tail. You may have seen it, and I flat caught the 1-3 pounders on it on my last trip to Florida. Fished weightless on a meduim action spinning rod with 15# braid and a fluro leader it was deadly. It may be the most realistic soft plastic I've ever seen. I'll see if I can get a link to it.

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

"has came out with" I really should start reading back over my post before I submit them.

from alabamahunter wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

You can just copy and paste this into your web adress bar. It should take you right to it. I went through like four packs in one day.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

See, that's what I'm talkin'. Love a good reader recommendation. Thanks Alabama, will definitely check those out.

I hear you guys on the jigs, but here is my thought about them. Every time I fish a weighted jig, it just comes back covered in algae, weeds, and pond snot. Maybe on pristine gravel-bottom lakes they rock. Just my two cents.

from muskiemaster wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

i've never tried fishing with a soft tube bait in early season i usually use a mepps spinner or buzz bait but i will try this now.

from rjw wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Flukes are good, the 7" Berkely Power Worm in Purple is just as good, the jig will produce larger bass though.

from snowninja wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Will have to give this a try, and while I'm a crappie fisherman at heart, my go to bait this time of year is a little 2 inch soft minnow shaped thing i found at wal-mart, while i'm not sure of the brand, they come in silver/black and silver/green varieties in the crappie jig section. They seem to work on everything from largemouth to stripers to crappie.

from scottprice wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

flukes are definatley a kick ass bait. black with red specks in it works best for me.

from Charley wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Flukes and curly tails. I have tried lots of bass baits, but these are my go- to baits when I want fish in the bucket.

from chuckles wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

The only other bait that comes close for year round action and versatility is the spinnerbait. Some days it gets an edge as it allows you to cover more water if the fish aren't buried in cover. When they are in the thick stuff those slow sinking soft plastics can outfish the spinnerbaits. Like most gear related issues the more you have the better so keep a rod rigged with both.
Also you'll need some jigs, 50-60 crankbaits, some tubes, frogs for topwater, buzzbaits for last light, worms, suspending jerkbaits, a few spinners, the new spoons everyone is talking about, crayfish, poppers, wigglers, crawlers, hoppers, sliders, flippers, flappers, floppers, flashers, .... Oh that's right you said you don't really care that much about bass. Then the spinnerbaits and sluggos will get you through just fine.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Flukes are awesome bass baits, I love to fish with them because you can do a lot with them and when the bite is tough they will produce.

from aragonnapoles wrote 5 years 1 week ago

In my blocked mind fishing is a multiterm activity:a)as a sport,b)as a pleasure activity,c)a way to take some food and d)all together.Bass fishing is the major example for the last 30 years in my own. Most of the times using small slu-gos and worms.

from TheEasternShore... wrote 5 years 6 days ago

you are absolutely right they are also weedless which is a plus

from dgbroox wrote 4 years 49 weeks ago

Agree!

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from chadlove wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

That's just me, of course and everyone else's mileage may vary.

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Ok. So far it seems I'm not entirely bass inept. This is a good thing.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from shane wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

They, along with similar sluggos are very effective and versatile.

from 2Poppa wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Flukes are fun!

Also,the fluke makes it more fun for my kids,than fishin' the jig.
Poppa's got to make it fun for the kids!

from Joe_Cermele wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago