Discussion Topic: On The Uncatchable Bass

Field Notes

April 15, 2009

Discussion Topic: On The Uncatchable Bass

By Dave Hurteau

Ever run into a bass you just couldn’t catch? Well, a new study may have the reason why. From EurekAlert:

In an experiment spanning over 20 years, researchers at the University of Illinois have found that vulnerability to being caught by anglers is a heritable trait in largemouth bass.

The study began in 1975 with the resident population of bass in Ridge Lake . . . .

"We kept track over four years of all of the angling that went on, and we have a total record. . .," said David Philipp, ecology and conservation researcher at U of I. "Many fish were caught more than once. One fish was caught three times in the first two days, and another was caught 16 times in one year. . . . Interestingly, about 200 of those fish had never been caught, even though they had been in the lake the entire four years," Philipp said.

Males and females from the group that had never been caught were designated Low Vulnerability (LV) parents. . . [and] were allowed to spawn with each other. . . . Similarly, males and females that had been caught four or more times in the study were designated High Vulnerability (HV) parents that were spawned in different ponds to produce a line of HV offspring. . . .

"Controlled fishing experiments clearly showed that the HV offspring were more vulnerable to angling than the LV offspring," said Philipp.

Check out the full article and tell us your reaction.

from shane wrote 5 years 5 days ago

Honestly, this isn't surprising, but I've never thought of it before. Pretty cool. I hope people don't start trying to breed stupid bass now...

from peter wrote 5 years 5 days ago

thats pretty intresting. i knew some fish were harder to catch but i never thought it was anb inhererted trait

from chuckles wrote 5 years 4 days ago

Now I won't feel so bad on the rare days I get skunked. It must be those dang LV bass:)
If your fishing buddy ever outfishes you, all you have to say is "You must have HV fish on your side of the boat."
This study is an incredible boon to fishermen/women everywhere!

from buck hunter 17 wrote 5 years 4 days ago

wow how would you keep track of if they ever got caught or not? how do they now that some have never got caught? it is a good thing to study for shure.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 20 hours ago

I believe it is true because I have had some instances where I have seen a humogous bass in this lake, yet have neve caught him. What amazes me even more is how bass can determine the difference between real bait and fake bait... that is something that amazes.me. When the bass have a high vulnerability, does that mean that they have a tougher time distinguishing what bait is real or fake, or are they hungry more of the time, maybe more stupid? All questions that I think about and amaze me...

from chrisnimon wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

so did they have an inbred group?

from shane wrote 5 years 5 days ago

from peter wrote 5 years 5 days ago

from chuckles wrote 5 years 4 days ago

This study is an incredible boon to fishermen/women everywhere!

from buck hunter 17 wrote 5 years 4 days ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 20 hours ago

from chrisnimon wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

so did they have an inbred group?