Chad Love: Separating Art from Idiocy

Field Notes

May 18, 2009

Chad Love: Separating Art from Idiocy

By Chad Love

I'm feeling old today so here's a bit of flashback for anyone out there who came of age in the Eighties...

From the story:

Rocker Morrissey is adamant about performing in a meat-free environment — so much so that he regularly bans all food “that used to have a face” from concert halls. Case in point was his most recent gig at Webster Hall in NY this week. From the article,

“The ardent vegetarian - whose second album with his former group The Smiths was titled ‘Meat Is Murder’ - demanded the Webster Hall venue be a meat-free zone before, during and immediately after his performance on Wednesday night. A source said: ‘There were no deli sandwiches, sushi, pepperoni pizza or anything else that used to have a face. Even the cleaning staff were happy to do their part by bringing in veggie sandwiches for lunch.’”

Apparently, Morrissey also prohibits his staff from eating meat and will fire anyone on the spot if caught doing so.

Now I have to admit that back in the day I was a big Smiths fan. In 1986 I bought my own copy of "Meat is Murder" not because I agreed with Morrissey's political views (I was 16, I didn't know what a political view was) but rather I thought it was the ultimate act of ironic hipster coolness to be both a Smiths fan and an unapologetic, in-your-face hunter. However, I quickly discovered my ironic fashion statement (Trebark camo pants pegged into unlaced hightops, a Smiths t-shirt and a luxurious Oklahoma neck blanket) was completely lost on the female student body of my high school. Teen biology being what it is, thus ended (quickly) my experiment in philosophical duality.

But when I saw the story above, it got me to thinking: do you have artists (musicians, writers, actors, whatever) whose work you enjoy but whom you can't stand personally or politically? I think hunters, anglers and gun owners are particularly vulnerable to this quandary because of the pop-culture bashing we regularly receive. Can you separate the art from the person or does ideology get in the way? I mean, Morrisey is obviously a jack*ss and an all-around unpleasant dude who forcibly crams his political views down the throats of those under him. But I have to admit, even though the mullet's (thankfully) gone I'm still a big Smiths fan. Does that make me a sell-out or a traitor?

from cfroud wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Yeah, I'm torn between Will Ferrell's comedy and his support of PETA. I hear they are tighter than those tapered leg pants you wore.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Chad,

There are two kinds of people in this world. The ones that refuse to believe we kill other animals so we can live and the ones who look the animal in the eyes and give thanks to the Lord as we pull the trigger.

I'm proud to say I look the animal in the eyes as well as the guys and gals on this site. That's why I like hanging around you guys.

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

My big problem with artists is that for some reason people mistake a life of pretending to know something or developing a relatively superficial skill to mean the person is an astute student of the world. I'm still not about to put myself in a complete bubble in order to avoid it. Most musicians and actors are more afraid of appearing non PC than actual politicians, however I find that music still speaks to me and I like watching movies. Once you have a James Bond who has to make statements regarding his dislike of firearms I think you just have to shake your head and enjoy the entertainment. All the while you have ignore the views of the entertainer who's greatest skill is that he/she can pretend to be someone.

I started hunting late in life, my family didn't hunt. I wasn't sure if I'd like it but I liked the outdoors and deer are delicious so going out to get some seemed like the thing to do. Now I love hunting for hunting's sake and still put tasty wild meat in the freezer. No looking back there.

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

happens all the time, michael douglas and his hatred of all firearms, rage against the machine and their support of proven murders and criminals, various celebs and they're support of causes that turn my stomach (PETA, Mumia abu-jamal (cop murderer from philly who is guilty as hell but alleged to be a "political prisoner" all time bull###t there)and other crap)even alec baldwin and his open hatred of republicans. i used to make an avid effort to avoid entertainers or products that support these things but i found i was beginning to be limited to government cheese and tap water. i just accept there are flatulating sphincters in the world that we can't do anything about.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Paul McCartney, Bruce Springstein

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I wonder if this guy understands that his veggies are produced with chemicals and they are living organisms when they are "killed" for his table fare? It doesn't matter if its green or red, it still had to die for you to survive and most vagans will never admit that truth. I find them very comical and I love to throw that in their face anytime the opportunity arises.

from Levi Banks wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I've always liked The Beatles and Paul McCartney.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Levi, I have to, but have you ever heard McCartney talk about people who eat meat? He's not just a vegetarian but a vegan. He won't drink milk eat eggs nothing that comes from animals. And we are wrong.
As for actors I love Timothy Robbins abilities but I hate everything else about him. I'm not going to dwell on this, I could go on and on.

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

If a person only watched movies and listened to music with performers who had the same political beliefs, one wouldn't have much for choices. I frankly don't have time to research the political beliefs of a movie cast or band, and use entertainment for just that, entertainment...... Actors and Musicians are rarely good sources for political and moral advice.... It's not what they are good at......

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Chrissy Hynde of the Pretenders is an outspoken anti-meat idiot but also one of my all-time favorite rock chicks. I try to tell myself it would upset her to find out how much I like her music.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

This is why I rarely go to the movies anymore.

from chadlove wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Right there with you on Chrissy Hynde, Phil. I'm a huge Pretenders fan. Chrissy Hynde has one of the coolest, most distinctive voices in rock, but man is she a wingnut...

from Ed J wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

A quote from my mother when she was chastised for listening to Frank Sinatra.
"I said I liked his music I didn't say I liked him."

from steve182 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I was also a Smiths fan in the 80's, when i was young and dumb. I still enjoy the music but will not spend money to support these idiots, and others like them. I hate it when one of these hollywood or pop-culture idiots who i happen to be a fan of (there are VERY few) makes a stupid political statement which forces me to say "Can't support this idiot anymore". I'm happy to oblige

from tinigunner111 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Almost all celeberities are leftist psychos.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Morrisey is draconian enough that I would not listen to his music, even if I liked it, which I didn't. I'd love to get stuck next to him at an airport so I could eat a burger right in front of him.

from shane wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

If their stuff is good enough, it's easy for me to get past their wacky views.

Man...these vegans. They are getting crazier by the minute. I actually have vegan friends, but they are cool and "normal". They are ok with me killing and eating animals, they just won't eat it too. They have gone hunting with me (as a bystander) and have shot guns with me. I have a friend who is merely a vegetarian, but he has helped me track and gut deer. He will actually make exceptions to his vegetarianism and will eat meat, but ONLY when it is meat that was killed by me personally. He is OK with that because he understands that meat that I kill is the healthiest, most natural, most sustainable meat that can be eaten. He says it feels good and just so right to know that the meat he is eating is meat that he recently helped find and chop up. These guys and gals are completely sensible other than the fact that they don't eat any animal products. To them it's a health thing, not as much as an activist thing.

But others, oh my. What nazis. Who the hell does this Morrissey guy think he is? His music was pretty decent (for the 80's), but that doesn't give him license to impose his misguided views on everyone around him. What an a$$. He thinks he's so righteous in his vegan ways, but did he ever think that all the plant matter he's eating has displaced a lot of habitat? How about his tourbus' or tour plane's (doubt he has one) emissions? How about all the power consumption at his concerts? If the vegans think they are morally and environmentally correct, they are kidding themselves. The only way to be what they think they are is to kill yourself.

from Big O wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Where to start?
I too am a 80's kid,not a smiths fan but I digress.
As for your question Mr. Love, music is music("steal it"(their words,not mine) on internet site but don't buy it.
For the artist/actor,actress/writer question.
CLINT EASTWOOD(I'm still crying over this one).
Pam Anderson(P.E.T.A. freak, and dad was/is a hunter.But she's still hot).
Among others, those top my list. If guy's like Hemmingway,and John "THE DUKE" Wayne were still alive I feel the "Hollyweird" crowd would not be like they are today.

from jbird wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

You're not a sell-out or a traitor. You just have to look past the political views of ALOT of people to be able to enjoy music/movies/tv/etc. I think Tom Cruise is an excellent actor, but other than that, a total flake. AH-Nold has been in some Bada** classics, but his politics, if you can understand him, are pretty whimpy. Don't even get me started on musicians, the list goes on and on.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I have no clue who Morrissey is but through the power of google I have been enlightend. Let's see. A racist vegan with a drug problem and homosexual tendacies. Yep, he qualifies for P.E.T.A membership.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Some of the posts above are my exact views.

I once worked with a radical vegetarian. She was pretty, a bit thin, but always wearing some kind of brace... ankle, knee, arm, neck... like she just wasn't strong enough to function normally. One day our manager (who's wife was a caterer, and a great cook) brought in a huge vat of chili for lunch. As us plain folk sat in the break room shoveling down heinous amounts of meat-laden snacks, she came in and made running comments on how horrible we were treating our bodies.

Unable to bear any more, I looked at her and said; "Y'know, marrying you would be like owning a '67 Impala. Looks great, but it's always in the shop.". She didn't speak to me for months, but I got huge points from the rest of the team.

The one that really hurts me is Barbra Streisand. I love her old songs, and her movies. She was marvelous in the old shows and comedies. But personally, I thinks she's totally nuts.

from Armchair Mike wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Pamela Anderson is a huge PETA supporter, and I still enjoy her "work." She'd rather be naked than wear fur, and in her case, I have to agree.

from L3 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Ok, this is a little off subject, but what the hell. Ok, I love playing golf, terrible at it, but enjoy it none the less. Everytime I am playing I can't help but think of the habitat loss and wildlife displaced by the course and the surrounding McMansions. Then inevitably I think about all of the celebrities that play golf (and probably inhabit the McMansions) who are more than likely members of these terrorists groups such as DoW, PeTa, and so on. My point is these people have no problem going out and doing something they like, regardless of the impacts that a golf course can have on an ecosystem. For example, my brother shot his first deer south of our hometown on a river bottom. Guess what now occupies that river bottom? Yep, a golfcourse and gated community. Believe me, I am the farthest thing away from some Sierra club member, just wondering how many celebrities or stars have homes on golfcourses or are members of courses that have altered the wildlife around them. Just seems hypocritical to me. I haven't had any coffee yet, so not sure if this even makes sense.

from L3 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Yeah, also in regards to Plastic Anderson, I wonder if they ever did any animal testing on any of the foreign objects in her body. Sorry, that was a little broad, I wonder if they did any animal testing on any of the "enhancement products" in her.

from KJ wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Love Pearl Jam, hate Eddie Vedder's politics. Love Sean Penn's acting skills, hate his politics.

from teufelhunden wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I still read your blog even though you bash the Bush Admin. every chance you get.

I will avoid movies and music that stars PETAphiles if I have the choice.

from Buckscounty wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Consider this:

American novelist William Burroughs loved guns so much he used to make "shotgun art" -- he'd set up paint cans in front of bare planks of wood, blast the cans with his favorite shotguns, and then hang the paint-splattered, multi-colored planks in his home. But Burroughs was a long-time heroin user, and accidentally shot his first and only wife during a drunken stunt in Mexico City. So, do you read his novels (if you can) or not?

Then there's Hunter Thompson. Loved guns, loved drugs, wrote fun, wild stuff, and then shot himself with a .45 pistol while talking on the phone to his wife.

Both novelists killed someone with a gun, something we outdoors people are taught to be utterly vigilant against. So can you validate buying or borrowing their books and reading them?

I can, and have, and I also find it highly amusing that Thompson and Burroughs actually once went shooting together.

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Clint Eastwood - political views are indeed heartbreaking considering his movie rolls.
Billy Bob Thornton - I am not even sure what he is about I just know its freaking weird.
Matt Damon - like the Bourne movies but he is a ravenous liberal
Are there any movies of any real merit or blockbuster appeal made in the last 15 to 20 years that don't include an incredible high number of screaming bleeding heart yuppies. Outside of the country music market(and most of this that makes it to radio is unbearable garbage in recent years) what musicians aren't crazed liberals?

from hunt_fish_sleep wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Won't let his staff or the cleaning staff of the concert hall eat meat? This guy is a first rate @$$hole for pushing his beliefs on others like that. I get sick of hippies and their vegetarian hypocrisies.

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

As a working, performing musician and a producer I can speak from experience of dealing with artistic types.

People, like me, are avid hunters, anglers, and shooters. Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Hank Williams, Jr, Artie Shaw, Bing Crosby. ….Too many actresses and musicians to mention are keen on the blood sports and shooting sports. *Our* group separate our professional persona from what we really are day-to-day.

Unfortunately, we are over whelmed by the vocal, showboating fringe. Example: I have a nut case Vegetarian in my band. He’s very gifted, but a pain in the ass to work with. I don’t believe he can separate his real world from the persona he invented for the stage. He comes across like a radical, musical anarchist. ….but the guy is anything but that. He’s downright Byzantine!!!! 95% of the time I’m playing Galileo trying to get the Pope to look through the telescope with this guy.

I believe the large majority of the talent is like this musician. They live in a world that’s shock hype for showmanship. They’re so good at it; they can’t separate their inner selves from that invented persona. As a result, I take their political/philosophical statements with a grain of salt. …Not worth anything more.

Wow! I got two-stars now!!!!!

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I have no problem with any vegetarian or vegan who keeps it to themselves and doesn't look down their nose at those who do not join in their dietary ways. Any spokesperson for peta gets two thumbs down from me and I won't spend any money on a product they had a hand in, and a few of the names include Andre 3000, Pam Anderson, Bruce Springstein, Josh Hartnet........where's Uncle Ted when you need him!

from MaxPower wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

It's no secret that Hollywood and the music industry are inundated with the irrational sort.
Just take consolation knowing that for every ten bucks you may spend on a CD made by PETA clowns, you've probably spent $200 on ammo or hunting gear.

from NY Survivor wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I agree that there are people that I like their music and/or acting but don't like their views on politics, hunting and fishing.
It also goes the other way. I think that Ted Nugent is a great spokesman for sportsmen. But I have never liked his music.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

God Love 'em. Give show folk a microphone and they'll try to force their view of the world down everyone's throat...

I agree with Del, This is one of the reasons I don't go to movies much...

from Ricardo Rodríguez wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I can´t believe I am the first to say this:

Pamela Anderson may dislike fur but she sure can eat meat.

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I'm the live and let live type myself. i have to be, I'm saving all my disgust for Paul mcCartney!
SBW

from AP wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I am, and probably always will be, a huge Pearl Jam fan. I used to wish I could meet Eddie Vedder and the rest of the band. Now, I wonder if Eddie could even put it up with me for 5 minutes if I were to get the chance.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I can seperate their work from their political views. If they make good music or are good at what they do, then fine... but I just blame their ignorance for not liking hunters or the act of hunting. But making the staff not eat meat is a little ridiculous. I mean I can understand if you don't like something but don't enforce what you believe on everything around you, that is just wrong. What has the world come to?... just to think, someone has to smuggle a ham sandwich in his work place for lunch...

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Hollywood and media types in general are liberal slime factories. I don't pay them any attention or support them with my money or time. I have not seen a network t.v. show in nearly four years, and it has been 9 months since I watched a hollywood movie. Don't miss it either.

from shotgunlou wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I'm TOTALLY with you Chad!!! Its interesting that you spoke of your previous foray into the duality of man. I was the kid in high school with a two tone mohawk, combat boots and big baggy jeans and lots of piercings and "body art." Needless to say I'm a different person today. So I was at Edgefest last fall which is a huge, all day concert here in Arizona. I was there to see my favorite local punk band called Authority Zero. Obviously if I'm on this website I have some pretty conservative views but when one of the other headlining bands came on (Rise Against) the lead singer started going on and on about how we HAD to vote for Obama or we were fascists!!! I never listened to his philosophy before and was pretty shocked by everything he was so uneloquently spewing. I had to think long and hard about listening to their music after that or boycotting them in protest. I still listen to them but wont be going to any more concerts they're at. Long story short, I smell what your cookin.

from mockingbear wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Personally, I've never been starstruck. Last concert I saw: Styx - 198? - San Antonio, TX. Last Movie I saw in a theater: End of Days - 1999. I love movies, just won't pay to see one. I wait til it's on TV and let the cable company pay the royalties. My support for these people is as minimal as I can make it. So, I don't really care about the platforms or soapboxes they preach from. I watch the movies and enjoy the music... if they want to talk politics or religion, I'm in...mano-a-mano.

Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.

from snuffy wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

As mentioned earlier: I don't have the time to research the views and opinions of every actor or singer. What does upset me is that words and attitudes of actors and singers are given more credability than someone actually educated on the subject!!! I also think they should do what they're paid for and shut the **** up!!! They all seem to feel it's ok to publicly voice there opinions as "correct" just because they have a platform!!!! There should be some kind of "equal time" law like our political canidates have. The fact that the bulk of the public buy their BS is disturbing. I am also disappointed there aren't more pro hunting and fishing public figures being vocal and actually calling out these "bunnyhuggers" in public!!!! I'll step off my soap box now, Thank you for this public forum!

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

You're right. Too many actors, musicians, politicians, or anybody else who is considered a "celebrity" will use that to their advantage.

But it works... Who is the most stupid? The one who uses the news camera to mouth off on a radical view, passing off their theory as "true", or the hoards dumb enough to blindly follow those views?

This might sound dumb, or contradictory to myself, but with all the bs from celebrities, I actually respect Arnie out in California. He took a stab at a state going bankrupt after decades of liberal spending in support of illegals, mixed with fake real-estate bubbles and declining revenue. AND, he actually HAS a degree in economics. It's a losing battle anyway, and he'll take the axe for it, but I feel he really tried.

I feel that maybe it oughta' be a law that any celebrity who wants to tell people who to vote for must have a degree in political science.

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Chad,

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Some of the posts above are my exact views.

from Mark-1 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Wow! I got two-stars now!!!!!

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

This is why I rarely go to the movies anymore.

from shane wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

If their stuff is good enough, it's easy for me to get past their wacky views.

from L3 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Ricardo Rodríguez wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I can´t believe I am the first to say this:

Pamela Anderson may dislike fur but she sure can eat meat.

from jersey pig wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from philbourjaily wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Ed J wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

A quote from my mother when she was chastised for listening to Frank Sinatra.
"I said I liked his music I didn't say I liked him."

from steve182 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from tinigunner111 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Almost all celeberities are leftist psychos.

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Big O wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Where to start?
I too am a 80's kid,not a smiths fan but I digress.
For the artist/actor,actress/writer question.
CLINT EASTWOOD(I'm still crying over this one).
Pam Anderson(P.E.T.A. freak, and dad was/is a hunter.But she's still hot).

from jbird wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Armchair Mike wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from L3 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from KJ wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from teufelhunden wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I will avoid movies and music that stars PETAphiles if I have the choice.

from Buckscounty wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Consider this:

from hunt_fish_sleep wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from MaxPower wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Sb Wacker wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

SBW

from cfroud wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Paul McCartney, Bruce Springstein

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Levi Banks wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I've always liked The Beatles and Paul McCartney.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from idahooutdoors wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from chadlove wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Matt Damon - like the Bourne movies but he is a ravenous liberal

from NY Survivor wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

I agree with Del, This is one of the reasons I don't go to movies much...

from AP wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from shotgunlou wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

from mockingbear wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago

Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.

from snuffy wrote 4 years 48 weeks ago