Bow Shooting Tip: Float the Pin and Squeeze

Whitetail 365

November 09, 2011

Bow Shooting Tip: Float the Pin and Squeeze

By Dave Hurteau

Many an expert rifleman, our very own David E. Petzal included, will tell you that because you cannot hold a rifle perfectly still in the field, you should not squeeze the trigger so that you’re surprised when the rifle goes off, but rather pull it at the precise moment when the crosshairs are where they should be.

Of course, you cannot hold a bow perfectly still either. But with a bow it’s different—even counterintuitive and a little mysterious. With a bow, you should go ahead and let the sight’s pin float around in the vicinity of the bull’s-eye and not worry about it one bit as you slowly squeeze the trigger. As I say in this tip, you wouldn’t think that would tighten your groups. But, like magic, it does. At least, it does for me and for a lot of shooters better than I am. Try it.

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

I posted a question about this not too long ago because I worried that my method was bad practice. But it kept working.. and my groups have never suffered, only improved. I thought that I needed to be more focused on learning to be methodical rather than instinctual. Granted you still need quite a bit of method but I was trying to over-do it thinking it was needed to get better groups.. but in the end it made me worse. Just using the float/instict method, I get better groups and it never seems to fail. I say it's the say to go..

But like anything else, there's no textbook way in shooting for every person. In then end people still have to figure out what works for them.

from jcurtis3266 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Nice!

from shane wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

It's true. I was told this years ago, was skeptical, tried it, and it works.

from Kevin wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

I've shot archery for 25+years and the best advice I ever heard and give to people is to let the pin float and squeeze. You must concentrate on the spot you want to hit, it never moves. Your pin is always moving so focusing on that is fruitless. Forcing it on the target induces target panic, and no archer wants that! The mind works magic and will put the arrow where you look but you have to relax and let it work. 'Aim small miss small' is the saying in archery and it's true.

from peoples1981 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

I've been bow hunting for over 20 years and by far this is the best advice I've ever heard. By problem now is being able to see the pin at low light. I'm older now an don't see as well as I did when I was younger. So what did I do. I bought a scope for by bow, that solved the problem of seeing. But you still let the pin float, great advise.

from BobGWI wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Good advice that works. Would have been better to see Dave shoot 3 arrows. Another hint, don't use just your index finger like he does, put all your fingers out there (with your index finger on the trigger) and make a fist, this helps to keep you from punching the trigger.

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

from jcurtis3266 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Nice!

from shane wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

It's true. I was told this years ago, was skeptical, tried it, and it works.

from Kevin wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago