Alleged Minnesota Poacher Shoots High-Fence Buck

Whitetail 365

December 13, 2011

Alleged Minnesota Poacher Shoots High-Fence Buck

By Scott Bestul

Just another Midwestern bowhunter with the buck of lifetime, it seems. He’s grinning ear to ear and why not? You’d smile too if you’d just bagged a 200-inch buck, right? Just one problem: His smile is a lie.

Or at least it is according to the Houston County, Minnesota, sheriff, who says the buck was shot by a young man (his name has not been released as charges are still pending) on December 8th in a pen owned by a local deer breeder.

The man cut a hole in the fence surrounding the enclosure, dragged the buck out and loaded it in his vehicle. The 21-point whitetail sports a net B&C green score of 212 inches. Members of four local law enforcement agencies visited the man’s home to question him about his trophy.

I live a mere 20 miles from the farm where this deer was raised and have driven by it many times. Apparently the shooter registered the buck at a DNR registration station, and then proceeded to show it off around his hometown of Rushford. That, of course, was before area law enforcement officers showed up to investigate. Obviously, there’s a huge local buzz about the killing of this buck and the criminal charges faced by the 19-year-old shooter.

Because it was a fenced buck, this is not a violation of Minnesota’s game laws; rather it is an alleged theft and destruction of private property worth many thousands of dollars. At this stage, police, wardens, and the owner of the buck aren’t saying much on the record, as they’re still building a case. I’ll cover the entire story in this space once they’re able to release information to me.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

I think this happens more often than we realize. Ohio has hundreds of registered deer farms. Each sporting bucks in the 200 inch range. Whether they are stolen or claimed by the owner, a lot of what we see are pen raised.

from prairieghost wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

M-O-R-O-N
i hope the real owner of the deer receives just compensation for his losses.

from rock rat wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

It's just some horns.

from bruisedsausage wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Hope he gets plastered to the wall. What a retard. . .

from Ol Krusty wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

It boggles my mind as to how STUPID some people are. I hope the dumbass gets the max fine. It probably wouldn't do any good though, you cant fix stupid.

from VAHunter540 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

The guy should lose his right to hunt forever. If he is stupid enough to shoot this animal out of a pen, he should not be allowed to hunt on public or private land where he can be free to do as he likes. He may have just "shot horns" but he also just robbed that farmer out thousands of dollars of income.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

I guess horns are worth more to him than can be described!

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

As long as we put such a high priority on high scoring B&C bucks or whatever scoring system you use you are going to have idiots like this trying to get that all time high scoring buck. It is all about the SCORE , that is the bottom line. These people think they won't get caught, I've caught hundreds of them and they thought that they wouldn't get caught. I used to look at them and smile and ask them is they thought we were that stupid that we wouldn't catch them. I know we didn't catch them all but we caught a high majority of them becajuse of the excellent network of contacts we had around the county. We had hundreds and hundreds of eyes watching for us, that is the only way we could effectively do our job. People don't know how valuable they are when they watch and report the slightest violation of the law. A lot of the time it turns out to be something bigger. Hunters you can make a huge difference in your sport whether you know it or not. Get involved. If we work together we can save our sport.

from Turkeytalk101 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Another idiotic move by a hunter that gives us all a bad reputation.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

There is no doubt this guy needs to be punished; does anyone know what the value of this type of animal is worth?

from bulletproofvest wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

What a shame. :( People should just go on doing something without thinking, seriously!

---

from Kevin wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

With all the hype lately about professional hunters poaching and violating laws it's hard to look at a picture of a big buck now and wonder if it was taken legally. I can't help but wonder how some hunters can take big bucks every year. No matter how smart you hunt it still takes some luck for it to come together, and I have a hard time believing it can be done legally year after year. Lately I see articles about guys shooting B&C bucks year after year, I can't imagine that's possible! Even under the best conditions deer that large don't just appear every year, must less make mistakes and get shot. For most hunters shooting a B&C buck in their lifetime is like winning the lotto. I would feel privileged to just see a B&C in the wild and that hasn't happened yet.

from Kyle VanBritson wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

This guy needs to be mentioned in the recent Dumbest. Poacher. Ever. post. Did he honestly think he could possibly kill a local pen raised giant that is highly recognizable, parade it around town and post pictures of it online, and not think anyone would notice it is the same buck that is missing from his pen? The stupidity of poachers is just mind boggling. I hope this 19 year old douche gets hit with every thing the law has to throw at him, that is a priceless buck right there.

from MICHMAN wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Michigan Outdoor Writer, Jerry Lambert, just uncovered a fraudulent State Record entry here in the Great Lake State. A Commemorative Bucks of Michigan measurer claimed to have shot a high scoring buck in 2010 with his crossbow using fair chase standards when in fact he shot it at a high fence game ranch.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Just one more casualty of the silly anlter-mania that has overtaken America. That's all hunting is about for the newest generation of hunters. Sickening. You all have heard me preach enough on the discouraging direction hunting is going so no need to puke it up all over again. Couldn't be any better proof that I am correct in my assessment. Look at this kid! Nineteen years old.

from ADDohman wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

As a young hunter i agree with the comment about younger generations. i know a lot of kids that go out hunting and dont care about anything but killing and finding that trophy. i tell stories to non-hunters about just being out in the woods, enjoying nature, and seeing things most people dont. but other kids worry about getting drunk before hunting or just go out illegally killing out of vehicles and other actions. things like that just does not make proud of us younger generations, giving that us true hunters who spend time and effort out in the woods

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

So ... he's not a poacher after all. Just a thief. I defer to the authenticity of the second description. Poaching involves wild animals not game in a can.

from deerwhacker40 wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Your kids priceless, your wife is priceless, your health is priceless, however a deer is not priceless, the guy shot a deer and trespassed. Take his gun fine him and let him learn a valuable lesson, he is 19 not a murderer lets not go overboard here.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

I agree, that deer is anything but priceless. It's a farm cultivated, genetically engineered freak. I would hang that buck up on the wall next to my two-headed goat and purple-footed troglodyte.

from ableskeever wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

I'll bet we're going to see the game farms microchipping their trophies because they're worth so much.

from jay wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

I guess he didn't think anyone would notice that he cut the ear tag from the right ear.

from pillagermn wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Ralph- Depending on the age of the buck......30k to 40k.

from J4huntfish wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

theirs a word for those types of people. but we cant say that on here

from Levi Allen wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

The kid should get the book thrown at him for trespassing, armed theft/robbery, and destruction of property. An armed theft/robbery conviction would not allow him to posess a firearm ever again. He has shown the kind of decision making abailities to warrant that. As for the deer, eh oh well. This deer was nothing more than a farm animal, plain and simple. It is not by any stretch of the imagination a game animal. I agree there has been a market created for such an animal, as sad as it is. And that market over values the crap out of a farm raised animal. We have created a monster in this B&C bs, the true trophy is in feeding your family, and teaching others appropriate behaviors and installing a solid set of morals upon which, crimes like this wouldn't happen. Many of you blame the kid, and yes he does deserve blame but where was his dad, or grandpa? It is sad that there has never been a role model in his life that would of taught him to do the right thing, and what the right thing even is.

from hoytshooter wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Pen raised or wild
High fence or free range
Each of us have our opinions about these but, legal or illegal harvest of something all of the good guys dont argue about
Hang that poaching sob

from jwg123 wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

It won't be long before they will DNA your trophy before you claim your record.Probably already do.These high fence deer farms have turned hunting into a rich mans bidding war.I just don't see the thrill of it(the feeder turned on,the buck came in,I shot it at 300 yds. in my heated box blind off bags)WOW way to go!! what a hunt!!

from Basheer Benhalim wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

While I disagree with this guys actions 100% and think its incredibly wrong to steal like that. Maybe we shouldn't have deer farms?? In my mind there is a huge difference from a High Fence Ranch in Texas, than a Farm in which Deer are raised like livestock... Just my thoughts!

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

What is the point, where is the honor of killing a buck with a huge rack if there is no skill involved????? Antler Mania has clearly clouded peoples minds and caused them to forget what it once meant to kill a mature buck with a big rack. People are now willing to shell out huge amounts of money to hunt on high fence farms where the deer have been descnsitized to humans.
And for what? to stare at a whitetail mount with a big rack? they didn't do anything to deserve killing that buck.. they didnt put in the time to scout learn the habits and terrain of a true Mature whitetail buck. One that has only gotten to that point in his life by avoiding people, making him that much harder to hunt.
The real trophy in killing a mature buck one that may or may not sport a large rack is knowing that you have outsmarted that animal. You have killed it in his natural enviroment where it has the advantage. Hunting high fence areas is just about as sporting as killing from your vehicle while using a spot light.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Gt, it's not hard to tell you're from Montana! Yes, indeed, not hard at all! Good for you!

I'm sorry, but I don't see the "huge difference" between high fence hunting and game-in-a-can corral shooting at a game farm operation. Or for that matter, shooting something over bait or feeders or stinkum attractants or food plots. You're absolutely right Gt: What's the skill in that? If shooting game that way was the only kind of "hunting" available, I'd gladly take my guns to the landfill.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Here's something worth noting. That nineteen year-old kid is wearing pretty expensive duds head to toe and I'm betting he's shooting a top of the line pricey bow too. I can't determine the year of the truck but its bed is rino-ized (not cheap!) and I note that the truck owner/driver apparently is a member of a local rural fire department. Everything in that pic smells of some show-off spoiled brat with more money than discipline at his disposal.

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

@ Ontario Honker,

What are you gettin at? Are you suggesting that shooting a " top of the line pricey bow" is the reason this bum is lacking discipline? I respectfuly disagree with your assumption. I believe this boys un ethical behavior is due his lack of guidance..
Fact; there are slob hunters on both sides of the tracts.

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Tracks*

from Mike Lamb wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

I agree with preety much all of you,the sad part is ,we as ethical hunters are the ones the anti hunters look at,not the thieves and poachers.

from CountryGirl99 wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

This kid took more than a buck or "horns"-he took many years of building a business, probably 100's of thousands of income over future years, he took any sense of secuity away from a family, he took a loved "pet" from a family, he destroyed property and left a hole in a fence for other bucks and does to escape. How do you ever compensate for that?

from HmmAnd wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

This is a young kid probably with poor parenting, that is about to find out what personal responsibility means.
While I would expect him to server the time and pay the fines, hopefully this will be a life lesson that leads him to be a better person rather than take him further down the road to a life dishonor and deceit.

from ethan_3 wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

pathetic

from nashman wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

I would bet he could have had better eating if he would have knocked off a fat steer at the closest farm and the experience would have been the same. Too bad he couldn't have drug out an angus, it wouldn't have given the hunting community another black eye it didn't need.

from Turkeytalk101 wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Look at that. He's even smiling. I would be ashamed to be in his shoes.

from Travis Trzecinski wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

I hunt very close to where this little deal happened and there are plenty of large deer in the area I unfortunately had to let a nice 10 go because I didn't have a good shot and planned on trying to try again a few days later but when I went back out to hunt on the nearly 900 acre piece of private property, someone had tresspassed stolen my Summit viper climbing tree stand. I don't know what is wrong with some people now a days it's just horrible.

from Turkeytalk101 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Another idiotic move by a hunter that gives us all a bad reputation.

from Ol Krusty wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

from MICHMAN wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from Levi Allen wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from prairieghost wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

M-O-R-O-N
i hope the real owner of the deer receives just compensation for his losses.

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from deerwhacker40 wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from ADDohman wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from jwg123 wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from Kevin wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from VAHunter540 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

@ Ontario Honker,

Fact; there are slob hunters on both sides of the tracts.

from pillagermn wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Ralph- Depending on the age of the buck......30k to 40k.

from rock rat wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

It's just some horns.

from bruisedsausage wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Hope he gets plastered to the wall. What a retard. . .

from ethan_3 wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

pathetic

from Basheer Benhalim wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from Kyle VanBritson wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from Turkeytalk101 wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

Look at that. He's even smiling. I would be ashamed to be in his shoes.

from nashman wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

I guess horns are worth more to him than can be described!

from jay wrote 2 years 18 weeks ago