Update: Alleged Minnesota Poacher Faces Felony Charges

Whitetail 365

January 03, 2012

Update: Alleged Minnesota Poacher Faces Felony Charges

By Scott Bestul

Shown here in a fist-pumping hero shot before the police showed up, Ryan Jackson of Rushford, MN, hasn’t had much to celebrate since. If you frequent this blog, you may recall the story we broke last month about a buck allegedly poached from an enclosure only 20 miles from my home. Apparently, Mr. Jackson shot the buck, dragged it from the pen, and registered it as a wild, hunter-harvested deer.

He even drove the buck around to show it off to area deer hunters, including his old classmates at the local high school. Presumably, these visits resulted in the several celebratory photos of Jackson and his prize, including this shot.

The wheels quickly come off Jackson’s victory tour, however, and he’s now been formally charged with four counts, including a felony. Here’s the latest from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

A 20-year-old man from Rushford, Minn., has been charged with felony theft for allegedly shooting a 21-point domesticated deer in a rural Houston County pen with a bow and arrow, then claiming he killed it in the wild.

Ryan Lucas Jackson also faces three other counts of trespassing, criminal damage to property for allegedly cutting a fence to remove the trophy buck, and unauthorized release of animals. Ten other deer escaped the pen in the Dec. 8 incident; two, including an eight-point buck valued at about $10,000, are still missing...

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

What? An eight-point (four-point in my books) buck valued at $10,000? Pffft! C'mon!

If that was my kid, I'd be kicking his arse every day for a year. But that wouldn't erase the lifetime of embarassment. Somehow, I doubt this turd's parents give a crap. Looks to me like they just give him too much money.

Again, what's with the headline on this one. Poaching is about taking wild public animals. THIS WAS NOT A CASE OF POACHING.

from CL3 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

good point, OH. This d-bag is just a trespassing thief. What a jerk.

from JakeT_little.Racks wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

He illegally killed the deer, therefore he's a poacher.
And a felon.
And a disgrace to the hunting community.

from Craig T Parola wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

I don't know what other states consider poaching, but where I live it's trespassing on private property with a weapon. Regardless of the reason.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

You are right he is not a poacher, he is a common thief. A friend of mine has a deer farm that raises deer and $10,000 isn't out of the question for a deer farmer to pay for a breeder buck with superior genetics. Not my bag of tricks but everyone to their own expensive hobby. He has 400 acres under high fence and loves to breed deer to see the results. He told me he has over 2 million dollars invested. When the new CWD regulations came out he had to double fence his whole area with 8 feet between the fences. He sells 8 $4000 hunts each year, not hardly a paying adventure. He told me that he has the most expensive hobby of anyone in the area, and I believe him. Before I retired I had to inspect his operation once a year to make sure it was being operated according to DNR regulations. His bucks with 30 inch spreads and 30 points are impressive but being raised in a pen and not being able to be killed in the "wild" dosen't make them mean anything to me. A 6 point with an 18 inch spread killed out of my deer stand means more.

from Clay Stansberry wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

@ontario I would much rather take a big clean trophy 8 than a gnarly 17 pt that scored the same.

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

High-fence game farms are an abomination, but no excuse for trespassing or stealing.

from Michael Swan wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

I agree the kid was stupid, and will get what he deserves. Trespassing is all too common. Kind of sad that the great sport of hunting has turned into a breeding business where the well off buy the horns anyway. There are deer farms all over with spendy breeding stock costing 100k +. They should genetically make the horns blue or something to keep them off the books.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

I have always wondered why a guy can't buy one of the big bucks here on the east coast and traveled to Neb, Iowa or somewhere in the Midwest and check it in as being killed there. You can't keep track of every big buck on every deer farm in the country unless they have a secret way of marking them that I have not been made aware of.

from BShunter wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

I belive folks that own land can farm/raise animals they want to, they can do as they please. Who am I to judge. No different than any other exotic animals in my book.
On another note this kid is lucky this is all he is getting from vandalizing and messing with somones property. He should be ashamed, but I bet he is not...

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Sounds like there was some darn good hunting in that area for a few days when the zookeepers were trying to gather their flock!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Yep, Walt. Whistle and rattle the feed bag, then lock and load! I bet they tasted good and the horns would have made nice shirt buttons. I would have been tickled to help get rid of that phony genetically engineered crap.

from Gimpergoo wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

The game always looks best to me on the table. I always go out to fill my freezer and I think because of that attitude, I am always rewarded with a prideful harvest! That kid should never be allowed to hunt or fish again.

from tleichty1989 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Not only does it piss off the hunting community it pisses off the general public. With poachers it gives hunters a bad name and we loose that support that the community offers.

from Kelly K Darby wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Poaching means to remove something (plant, game, or fish) from someone elses property. If the property is public, it is considered government property. Regardless of whether the animal was wild or not, it is still considered poaching under law. And most of you are right. He should lose the right to hunt for the rest of his life. He gives all hunters a bad name!

from KWIDEL wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

i unfortuantly know of a person that has been poaching for years, i have tried numerous times to get him caught, but he seems to squirm out of it everytime do to his father known in the law enforcement community. it is an absoulute disgrace, and i think people that commit this crime and are caught should have to wear an ankle braclet to track there movement at all times. because just because you take away the hunting licensce of someone like this, doesnt mean they wont go right back to doing it

from Whackdaddy wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Fully understand the outrage, and know the kid did a dumb thing that should be punished. BUT ... kinda reminds me of something me and my cohorts could have been capable of back in the day. Should I admit that? I'm secure in my redemption. Just hope he can come away with it with some wisdom and reformation.

from ray cummings wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Sarge01 was right. If this deer had been taken out of state and registered this guy would not have been caught. I wonder how many times this has happened with pen raised deer. Whether the pen raised buck was shot legally or not, it is a pen raised deer and should be tagged in such a way that this could not happen.

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

I think that they should have a hole drilled in their antlers with a permamnent tag showing they are a pen raised deer. A lot of work for the deer farmers but then again it is a high dollar making business.

from Steward wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Hey KWIDEL, what's his name?

from bruisedsausage wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Similar to what Sarge01 just said I think that pen deer should have a mandated tag in the antler. I was thinking actually an RFID tag would be better. Injected while the animal is in velvet. Make it a hefty fine for violations.

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Ontario Honker- If that would have been your kid,first of all, he probably wouldn't have been there because he would have seen beyond the "glory" and would have considered the "folly of his way" and "counted the cost" of his actions!

That's part of the problem, we have today as a nation. Where was the dad, his uncles and any positive manly influence?

Young and dumb, to say the least!

But not as dumb as the idiots in my neck of the woods! It seems one or more people shot, poached, 3-bucks, where I hunt on a WMA. This particular entrance is secluded and on a dead-end road with deep woods on both sides of the gnarly road.

I had hunted this section of woods 5-days prior with a bow, (it was gun season on public land)and returned to this area to find 3-dead bucks, all, within 30-feet of each other, with their racks cut off with a zawzall.

Now mind you, I spend a lot of times in the woods and had become very familiar with these particular bucks. I had rattled them in on many occasions, and used the "Primos, Doe-N-Heat" can, to get them to respond hoping a larger more dominant buck would follow, which it did, just out of bow range.

To make matters worse, they each had their own personalities, traits with very different characteristics, and displayed a lot of playfulness with each other. I actually looked forward each day seeing these "guys" show up.

They weren't a third of the size the buck Mr. Jackson wasted. One was a small 8-pointer, a somewhat larger 6-pointer, and a frisky 4-pointer, that appeared to be a spike,I jokingly named "Cuba" due to the color and length of the spikes, they reminded me of "Cuban Cigars" but with days and weeks of observing these beautiful boys, I realized he had 2-smaller points.

It seems Mr.Jackson is a victim of his own stinking thinking, and I hope the prosecuter brings in both parents, and ask them a few hard questions that provoke a response that satisfies the court. Big Bucks equals Big Bucks in fines... Sometimes.

from Outdoorsman_67 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Lip or ear tattoos would make more sense than a "permanent" antler tag seeing as anters would be shed every year.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Whitetail hunters are forced fed a steady diet of photos of giant pen raised deer. Go to any magazine rack and I promise you 9 out of 10 cover shots are of pen raised deer. Many deer shot on TV are pen raised. Buy a product designed for deer hunters and it's package probably has a photo of a large pen raised deer. Every food plot will grow a 200+ inch deer. Yeah right. The deer hunting industry constantly lies to the hunters with the false illusion of a giant buck. Aside from stealing this animal from a pen, this kid is no different. He is passing off a pen raised deer as a wild animal. And at least he is not taking YOUR money...

Obviously I think this kid needs his head examined for killing someone's pet but when it comes down to passing a fake off as real, hunters see this all day long.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

And the funny thing about the industry passing off a pen raised deer as a wild animal, we accept it. Hunters do not complain because it gives them hope. Albeit false hope but hope none the less.

from D. Woodworth wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Anyone who places value on a set of deer antlers from the magazines to the hunters themselves should recieve some of the blame for this incident. Antlers have NO value after using them to make tools or to feed wildlife. I live in adams county ill and deer hunting has ruined most hunting around here. I say all the bucks bigger than a spike should be shot on sight.

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

I don't believe it should be legal to sell hunts of pen raised game animals period.

I don't believe it should be legal to build a fence to enclose what would be wild free roaming game animals nor charge for hunting them.

I believe the general public should have a right to access to all land for hunting regardless who owns it for the purpose of hunting so long as doing so doesn't endanger people, like hunting close to residential areas.

I believe that people have the right to access all streams and rivers and other bodies of water for fishing.

So while this kid is a scumbag for misrepresenting the animal, he should have a right to hunt it as it's a game animal. In the greater scheme of things,it's not poaching because he didn't hunt it out of season.

The people who are raising it in a pen are the bigger scumbags in my book.

If we don't do something to open our lands to allow free access for sportspeople today, some day there will be no land that isn't pay to play and our sports will die.

-4 Good Comment? | | Report
from bigboylotz wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Nyflyangler, Who are better stewards of the land, private citizens or the government. Your socialistic viewpoint is selfish. People work hard, earn their money to buy land to manage and hunt, and you think you should have the right to hunt there too. This is America, there are plenty of places that the public can hunt, keep them off of my land.

from KWIDEL wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

steward,
id rather not reveal the name of this individual, due to his violent nature and him living close to my home. he is truely an unstable person capable of anything, and do not want to put my family at risk. but back to the poaching issue, last i had confirmed, he had taken a total of 12 deer in one season, at least half of them in a forest preserve. it is truely sad that people like this are allowed to possess weapons of any kind, after commiting crimes like this. im truely hoping that karma catches up

from deblack wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

thats a hot buisness to get into, actually i checked into it because it is something i had an interest in. then i read a page long article in a newspaper about a man that run a BIG deer ranch and he got caught buying and transporting out of state they slapped him with millions of dollars in fines and had to put down over 100+ deer (he had to pay for) what was funny at the end of the whole article he said thats okay he was sick of deer anyway!! LOL

from deerwhacker40 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

This raises the question now on how a ever going to be able to appreciate the deer good people kill in the wild and pay good money to have scored and placed into the pope and Young and Boone and Crockett record books with genetic freaks out there that a rich banker or lawyer, doctor...etc, purchase in a high fence area.

from deerwhacker40 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Thus there is no reason to have the Pope and Young or Boone and Crockett record books scoring system anymore. there is no way of determing what animal was taken on fair chase lands or bought at the local zoo!

from blackjac wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Pull his hunting & fishing privlidges forever!He killed a breeder animal at agreat cost to the breeder.
I have friends who never would have the time to harvest a record buck (in NJ) but able to pay the asking price for a prime buck,Not my cup of tea but their $$$. Their logic is they would never ever see or get the time afield nor get a shot at a monster buck and willing to pay for it. Registering it with B&C has never entered their minds, It's not "fair chase" but but remember for every ass there is a seat!

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from shotgunlou wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Saw an inexperienced hunter hit a very nice 6x6 bull in the neck after I told him to put it behind the shoulder. Ruined what would have been his first shoulder mount and lost a lot of meat. The European mount looks great but just not the same. Always behind the shoulder for me.

from shotgunlou wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

whoops...commented on wrong story by accident.

from madmike98 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

I'm sick to my stomach. Outdoorsmen seem to be the final stand on ethics in this country. Sportsmens magazines are about the only place you will even read the word ethics. And then this KID shows up on I'm sure national headlines and makes us all look like unethical hoodlums out to kill the biggest rack or catch the longest fish with no thought to fair chase or ethics let alone the law. Another step backwards for us all.

from blevenson wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Truly ashamed that this guy is from my state. Some people just think about the horns today and not that great tasting venison. One word to describe this young man. RETARDED

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

@bigboylotz

There's nothing socialistic about it. What junior high did you drop out of?

Many countries that are far more laissez-faire capitalist than the US, limit ownership of certain aspects of the land to land owners such as mineral rights.

Until 1946 in the US, one had unlimited air rights over your land. Now that's no longer the case.

Allowing access to private land so one can hunt or fish for publicly owned wildlife is no different than allowing utilities access to private lands. It's in the public interest.

from JakeT_little.Racks wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

He illegally killed the deer, therefore he's a poacher.
And a felon.
And a disgrace to the hunting community.

from Michael Swan wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from Whackdaddy wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from ray cummings wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from Outdoorsman_67 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from deerwhacker40 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from deerwhacker40 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from CL3 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

good point, OH. This d-bag is just a trespassing thief. What a jerk.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from KWIDEL wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from bruisedsausage wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Young and dumb, to say the least!

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from madmike98 wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

@bigboylotz

There's nothing socialistic about it. What junior high did you drop out of?

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from BShunter wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from Gimpergoo wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

from Steward wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

Hey KWIDEL, what's his name?

from D. Woodworth wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from KWIDEL wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

steward,

from deblack wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from shotgunlou wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from shotgunlou wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

whoops...commented on wrong story by accident.

from blevenson wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

from blackjac wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Nyflyangler wrote 2 years 14 weeks ago

The people who are raising it in a pen are the bigger scumbags in my book.

-4 Good Comment? | | Report