Minnesota Deer-Farm Poacher Receives $54K Fine, 4 Months in Jail, Banned From Hunting and Fishing

Whitetail 365

August 14, 2012

By Scott Bestul

Last December, we posted the story of one Ryan Paul Jackson, a then-19-year-old who cut the fence at a deer farm about 20 miles from my home and shot a 21-point buck with his bow. Jackson then dragged the buck from the enclosure, registered it at a local gas station, and proceeded to haul it around town for bragging and posing for photo sessions.

He even posted photos of the buck on his Facebook page before hiring a taxidermist to do the mount. But not so surprisingly, Jackson’s glory was short-lived. Within days of his night poaching raid, authorities had confiscated the buck’s head and Jackson was in jail.

The buck Jackson killed was valued somewhere between $15,000-$20,000. During the theft, 10 other deer escaped the enclosure, including two other adult bucks of lesser monetary value than the 21-pointer. Eight of the deer returned to the pen, but the two bucks remain at large.

According to the Rochester (MN) Post-Bulletin, Jackson pled guilty to a charge of theft, while three other charges against him were dropped. He was fined $54,176.25 in restitution costs, was sentenced to 120 days in the county jail, and will be on probation for 10 years, during which he cannot hunt, trap or fish.

In poaching cases, we’re always measuring the punishment against the crime. It’s pretty typical to feel the violator got off easy, and we scream for more jail time or bigger fines. Those reactions are fine; when we collectively holler “Throw the book at him!” it shows our unified disdain for lawbreaking. But I think Jackson’s punishment is pretty nearly appropriate. Jackson is barely 20 years old and, it seems, not overly bright. Many of us did something spectacularly stupid when we were his age. Also, his fine is a substantial setback, considering the economy. I wouldn’t have lost sleep if Jackson had lost DNR privileges for life, but a decade hiatus is, I suppose, enough. Jackson will be 30 when he can buy a license again. Perhaps by then he’ll have had time to realize what a colossal idiot he was as a teenager, and decide to act in a more honorable manner as he matures.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. The DNR threw the book at him, but I'm OK with it because it all comes down to respect to me... and he none.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

When someone comes up with a non-lethal fix for STUPID, let me know! Theft is theft whether it is a bank job or killing a deer that belongs to someone else. Deer don't belong in game farms, but until that practice is outlawed, they are livestock property.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I think the courts got it right. Restitution and a little jail time were in order for this kid.

from LostLure wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I think he should loose all hunting/fishing privilages for life. Poaching is bad to begin with, but breaking into a game farm to poach is a whole different story. Did he do something stupid? Yes, but he knew exactly what he was doing.

from mrhansen9 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

The monetary punishment is solid, although like Scott mentioned, I'd like to have seen more than a decade probation. This whole incident shows the need for us as a whole to chill out with the "rack race". Until we begin to enjoy hunting for hunting's-sake, things like this will continue to happen.

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I'm going to be unpopular for saying this but, how was this a hunting violation? This was a case of theft not poaching. If I trespassed onto a cattle ranch and shot a cow I wouldn't be charged with poaching. Now I don't agree with game farms at all but this animal was livestock.

If he was hunting then he did tag it and check it in, he satisfied all requirements for hunting regulations, his crime was not violation of game laws but it was a crime of vandalism, theft and trespassing. Not to mention releasing farm raised deer into the wild.

That said I think he got an adequate punishment and he will certainly walk the straight and narrow from now on.

from Charles Hall wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

correct me if im wrong but isn't a "theft" over 600$ considered a felony? 120days for a felony? so your saying i can go steal a 20k$ car and only get 120 days? this don't seem a correct sentencing to me

from Joshua Rust wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

@ Charles Hall. It seems like he was a first time offender so I don't think it's too out of line. The kid is a dumb ass by far, but jail time is just going to ruin whatever chances he has, especially if he's a felon.

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Everything seems on par with me. 120 days in the clink to let him think about what he did. The fine is basically to cover the restitution for the deer he killed and the 2 that were never to be seen again. The part that bothers me the most is that someone would brag about killing a deer like that. Theft and poaching are one and the same in my book.

from Michael Murphy wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Well the story states he " registered it at the gas station " so it must have been tagged. Which means it was poached - killing & tagging a deer unlawfully ! I think they should of thrown in some free labor out of him working for the dnr ; a little hard work in the woods might do him some good !!!!

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I think the punishment is fit. That's a lot of money for a 20 year old kid. 120 days in jail is long enough for him to completely hate life for a while. And 10 years probation will keep him either in line or in jail.

from Steward wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

That'll do.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

All a waste of money if you ask me. Let me take him fishing in some of the swamps. I'll do my best to keep him from falling out of the boat never to be seen again for no charge.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from VAHunter540 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Perfect.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from fordman155 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

"Not overly bright" is a good way to describe this guys actions and outlook on fair hunting. The amount of the fine is large, the time away from hunting, trapping and fishing is long, and at the end of the sentence we might read about him again. If the fine were larger or longer, it would be fine with me also. Let the word spread far and wide about this so others might learn from his mistake.

from Manford79 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Deer farms should be outlawed, how's it sporting to pay 10,000$ and go shoot a fenced in animal. Now he stole a livestock animal, and the poaching charge came from killing it at night, I get that but anyone who "hunts" an animal that is fenced in isn't a hunter anyway, just saying. I've been a bow hunter do 20yrs, and that's 20yrs of free rang hunting not that lazy mans fence hunting.

from jjas wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

While I think the fine and punishment are correct, why do I have a feeling that collecting that 54K fine may prove difficult and that this young man will likely spend a whole lot more time in jail that 120 days....

Hope he learned his lesson.

from pelagicdude wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Too bad he didnt let them all out. Killing one in the pen makes him as big of a loser as the people who support it. Sign of the times- everyone wants the easy way and the glorification of someone who actually worked for it!

from NHshtr wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Unbelievably stupid. I think the punishment is about right though.

Based on his actions after he shot the buck, I think that this guy may be too stupid to learn from the experience and end up committing more crimes when he gets out. Hopefully he has someone to give him some guidance.

from Kevin Champ wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

haha screw him

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Good luck in landing a job in the future with a good company. He may have sentenced himself to a life of menial labor unless he has some very special talent.

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Hi...

Well, it sounds like he knew there were large deer with large racks on that farm, so why not shoot one of those at night and show the world what a great hunter he was, right?

Well, he got caught. Now, he's gotta do the time.

So, ya want fries with that? (With apologies to all of those hard workers in the fast food joints).

from Ron Martell wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

@ NHshtr,
I agree completely with your post but I have to conclude that he doesn't have someone to give him guidance or he wouldn't have made these decisions. My boys are still young, but I am trying my best as a former Marine and a Scout leader to instill ethics, pride and integrity as well as a love of the outdoors. I wish more people would.

from GarrisonRandy wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I think the fine and jail time are appropriate. And I think it is right to suspend outdoor privileges. But I always struggle with that part. Obviously seasons, shooting hours, and ethics are not part of a poachers practice. So suspending hunting/fishing rights sounds good but usually these types of people avoid being legal from the start.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Where is a 20 year-old kid going to get $54K? Pffft! That was a waste of paperwork giving him such a fine. Too bad they couldn't make a poaching charge stick instead of theft. That way they could have kept him from hunting in 37 other states as well for at least the next ten years or maybe even longer. That's the kind of punishment that means something to a hunter.

from James Boldig wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I think its a fair punishment given the state of how our justice system works.

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Rob Martell hit the nail on the head. This kid seems to have no personal integrity, no sense of ethics, of what is right or wrong, which means somebody dropped the ball in raising him. Where were his parents/guardians? I think this is the answer to a lot of the behavior exhibited by young people today.

from MD Huntress wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

The part that was left out in this article was that this is not his first run in with illegal hunting. I believe if the punishment was harder the 1st time people wouldn't try it a 2nd. Problem with the judicial system as a whole. If no one made a big deal over racks, and no one paid for farm raised deer, none of this would have happened. I don't blame the farmer who raises them because it's a way to make money. I blame the rich jokers who either pay to hunt or buy the deer at auction so he can claim to have hunted it and hang it on his wall. I believe more emphasis should be put on the whole reason man ever started hunting, food. Let's start using carcass weights instead of spreads to teach people what a real trophy is.

from Ncarl wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I realize that some will disagree and I'm okay with that and am not trying to start an argument. But, I believe that hunting is a god given right. I don't agree whith what the kid did and certainly believe he should have been punished. But hunting is given by god and taken away by god.

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Sounds like a substantial penalty. Hopefully he can keep his nose clean from now on. WA Mtnhunter hit it right on too. Deer belong in the wild, not a cage.

from Eagle 525 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

If this penalty is to harsh, what do you suggest as an alternative?
You say he is not to bright and young. My rebuttal; He was smart enough to purchase and learn how to use the equipment.
He was smart enough to do this when no one was looking.
He damaged property and allowed valuable "live stock" to escape.
Restitution is part of the penalty and the 10 year moratorium is ample time for the offender to read and understand hunting, fishing and trapping laws.
let the penalty stand.

from Alan Butterworth wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I guess some People don't know that Deer are "Farm raised" by Permit. The Venison is harvested and provided to Heart Patients because it's cholesterol free and one of the few sources of meat/protein that Someone with Heart trouble can consume. They are not Wildlife because they are raised just like Cattle and their bloodlines are closely controlled. Ask a Cardiologist and He'll explain it to You. This is not a place where People can hunt! These Deer are NEVER Hunted! This Sorry excuse for a Human Being Terminated a valuable "Stud" Deer that had produced safe food for thousands of sick People, ending a proven bloodline that was safe and certified. He was so proud of His self for killing a Domestic creature in a enclosure, an Animal that had No fear of Humans because it was raised by Humans. I dont think His punishment was harsh enough. I know that I would NEVER want to be hunting anywhere near this idiot because You just can't fix the kind of Stupid that He is. We cant buy the Venison that is produced at this Farm but if You develop a Heart problem that requires this kind of diet, then You will understand just how important these Farms, that are all over the Country, are to thousands of People who depend on Venison co-ops to get the nutrition they need to survive.

from baycooler wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Lock him up until he can afford to pay the fine. If not let him rot in jail.

from MD Huntress wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Aeroloose: That is sometimes the case, but not the majority. BTW if a heart patient really wants the healthiest meat, it's rabbit, not venison ask the doctor. Remember the guy that shot the 400+ deer? That deer ws farm raised and the public went crazy about the legitimacy of the hunt and the hunter. The article does not distiguish which kind of farm this was, therefore it is natural people including myself would assume if they own a buck that's worth 35,000 it's not for steaks. A farm purely raising meat would not need a buck like this. I raise cattle and rabbits and as a meat producer, if I had a male that was worth a substanial amount more than meat price, he would be sold and replaced with a less valuable animal. With livestock and breeding males for food only, you buy him young and small and sell when his is grown for meat. This buck had good age and would have been 'retired' in the cattle world. Watch a deer auction one time, these bucks are usually sold for wall hangers not burger. Just food for thought as we do not know for sure what type of farm this is.

from airbornedoc wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

According to the TPWD regulations: "It is unlawful to fish on privately owned waters, fish in public water from private land, or hunt on privately owned lands without the permission of the owner or the owner's agent.
Under the Texas Penal Code (§30.05) it is an offense for any person to enter property that is fenced, posted with a sign(s), or marked (purple paint) without the express permission of the owner. Posts or trees bearing purple paint marking of not less than eight inches in length and not less than one inch in width at not less than three or more than five feet from the ground constitute notice that the property is posted.
A person who hunts without landowner consent and kills a desert bighorn sheep, pronghorn antelope, white-tailed deer, or mule deer commits an offense that is a Parks and Wildlife Code state jail felony. Upon conviction, your hunting and fishing license is automatically revoked."

Sounds to me like laws were broken, justice was served and maybe he'll have a chance to show his kids how to do it right the next time. Never underestimate the ability for a leopard to change his spots.

from holmescountyohio wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Whoever said take him to the swamp and drop him so he won't be found, your crime would be worse than the kids. you are an idiot, quit making sportsman look like criminals, the vast majority of us are stand up guys, if not the finest men on earth, quit bringing us down.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from elkslayer wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from mrhansen9 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Manford79 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from NHshtr wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Unbelievably stupid. I think the punishment is about right though.

from LostLure wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Michael Murphy wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Hope he learned his lesson.

from pelagicdude wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

That'll do.

from fordman155 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Kevin Champ wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

haha screw him

from Pathfinder1 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Hi...

Well, he got caught. Now, he's gotta do the time.

from GarrisonRandy wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from James Boldig wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

I think its a fair punishment given the state of how our justice system works.

from Ncarl wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from Eagle 525 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

If this penalty is to harsh, what do you suggest as an alternative?
He was smart enough to do this when no one was looking.
He damaged property and allowed valuable "live stock" to escape.
let the penalty stand.

from Alan Butterworth wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from baycooler wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Lock him up until he can afford to pay the fine. If not let him rot in jail.

from MD Huntress wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago