Help Me Kill My Buck, Win the Rack

Whitetail 365

October 24, 2012

Help Me Kill My Buck, Win the Rack

By Dave Hurteau

Shortly before our October 1 bow opener, I found a new rub line leading roughly from a creek crossing to a lush alfalfa field. So I hung a stand overlooking it about 20 yards into the woods (labeled S1 in the accompanying chicken scratching). Walking in on my first hunt, I noticed a new scrape on the field edge more or less in line with the rubs, so I was feeling confident. But nothing showed near the sign that night. Instead, from my stand, through gaps in the foliage, I watched a pile of does mill in and out of sight in the alfalfa. I thought, If one of them gets close enough to the field edge, I’m going to climb down and sneak in for a shot.

With about a half hour left of shooting light, I glanced through a particular hole in the leaves and, as so often happens, where there was no deer there suddenly was--a big-bodied one feeding just 30 yards out. I slipped down and slinked toward the field, making the last few yards on my knees. When I finally peered from the edge of the woods, the deer calmly raised its head from feeding and showed me his very large rack (by this area’s standards), backlit by the setting sun. Just then, he looked away to eyeball a fawn crossing behind him. I drew and was settling in for the shot when a downwind doe snorted sharply, kicking off a small stampede of deer. My buck was the first to bolt. And that was that.

I couldn’t get back to the spot until the end of last week. This time, I brought a climber and a subdominant buck decoy. I staked the latter, with just one antler, about 20 yards out in the field and used the former to set up right on the field edge (S2). The evening started slow, but again, about a half hour before the end of shooting light, I looked toward the south end of the field, and there he stood, feeding. I grunted. He looked up, saw my decoy, and came trotting in…until he reached about 40 yards away when I suddenly heard someone whistling clear as a bell what sounded like “Oompa in the Park With Ned.” Seriously. The buck banked a hard right and scampered off into the woods.

I expected to see someone come walking down the edge of the field. But no one did. Instead, about 10 minutes later, a doe ambled into bow range. She bolted at the shot but only went about 50 yards before piling up in the alfalfa.

Having learned that the buck comes from the south end of the field and that sounds from the nearby road travel very well across the alfalfa (I can only guess), I went back at midday yesterday to check the upper field edges for a smoking gun—a fresher rub line or a moist scrape or two to show me exactly where this buck enters. And I found exactly nothing…zip.

So now you know everything I do. I have my own ideas about what to do next, but I wonder, what would you do? I’ll tell you what: If the wind is right I’ll be back after this buck later this week or early next. If you lay out a detailed strategy* that I like enough to use (even if it’s the same thing I’m planning to do) and I manage to arrow this deer, I will send you the buck’s rack**. (Why would you give away your buck’s rack? you may be thinking, to which I say, why not? What I want from a hunt is an unforgettable experience and a pile of meat. The rack is cool, but I’ll gladly give it to you if your plan works. And just think, when someone asks, “How’d you get that one?” you’ll have a very unusual story to tell.)

So here we go. If you were hunting this buck, what exactly would you do *You have to be specific. “Stay after him” is too general, and so is “Try a morning hunt.” Use the diagram to provide details, including exactly where to set up, whether to call, use a decoy, scents, etc., etc.

**Assuming it’s legal for me to send it to you where you live. If you don’t want the rack, you can have the treestand I used, or I’ll come up with some other fun prize.

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

You might be able to try setting up a few mock scrapes, some around the previous sign you had found and some near the area you believe he may be entering the field and spraying them with scent also. Set your stand back in the woods some and further south near the corner of the supposed entry way but with a good clear shot of the field. Place a buck decoy back in the woods behind light cover near some of the scrapes but partially visible from the field. If you see him, try to grunt him in and maybe rattle a little too. If he buys it, he'll come in hot looking for a fight.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

If the wind was from the south, I would try to piss the buck off by putting the decoy in a position to look like he's scraping the scrape you found on the fence line north of both stands. I would sit in the brush just south of the decoy if it gives enough cover and leaves shooting lanes open.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Love the united "watermark" faded on the paper in reverse too....:)

from Douglas wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I would go to where the does enter the field and put S3 there. He will stop looking for food and be on the girls before too long.
I also would wait until this full moon passes before going in too. Let the spot settle down a bit.
Easier said than done!

from 2804Penn wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Your obviously on some hot sign. Go back to S1 one afternoon when you can hunt the following morning. In the afternoon, make a scent trail from the field sightings to a mock scrape near your stand. Doctor it up good with some estrous urine. If he doesnt show that evening, he will be there the next morning. Its the end of October, he mind is going to shift from that alphala to the does you were seeing.

from peppeli wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Don't whistle next time.

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Create a mock scrape on the south and east side of the field. Place your decoy 5-15 yards northwest of the mock scrape that is on the east side of the field. Place your stand 5-10 yards from the field edge depending on how thick it is. Put the same buck urine that you put in the mock scrapes on the decoy or a scent wick that is close or on the decoy.

from peppeli wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Since he responded to your calls and decoy, he seems like he is not afraid of confrontation. I would set up to the SSE in front of that brush on have a buddy come along if possible and set up behind me in or past the brush just south of that rub line to do a little light calling and rattling when we see him pop out or if we get a little to anxious waiting.
If I was going out alone I would set up south where he exited the field last time, he got away using that route once so he might think it's pretty safe to use. I am reluctant to bring the decoy again since he was spooked last time, but he reacted so well to it I might position it within bow range but to the NW in the field. If he hangs up or is nervous he might just stick close to the field edge and is still in range. If he likes it, he still should be withing poking distance.

from Pacific Hunter wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Dave, the aforementioned tactics all would be a better first plan but what I will give you is plan B and it has resulted in numerous bucks that I could never outsmart traditionally. Inevitably you will set up in the most likely spot you think the buck will come past and low and behold he won't. He will be working the edge of the field out of range with no real possibility of him coming in. At this point get a cheap grunt tube, not a good one that actually sounds like a deer, and basically doe bleat with the grunt tube. Call way more than deer really ever do. The first time I witnessed this in action a friend who had never been hunting was in a tree behind me and as a decent 8 was leaving he started bleating on the grunt tube like mad. I was frantically trying to make him stop but he was so excited the buck was coming he didn't. He came over 250 yards on a rope and I arrowed him at 35 yards. When all else fails try the bad bleat. Not sure exactly why it works but it does.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I would scout him out and try to pinpoint where he is entering the field. It may take a time or three but get his pattern down. Then set your stand just inside the timber within range of his usual entry spot. I probably wouldn't mess wuith the decoy again for a while.

from nchunt101 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I would not have shot the doe,,,, just hunt where the does are and eventually he will be in range

from nchunt101 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

BTW i am all for filling a freezer with does, I just don't shoot any till late season because a hot doe is the best buck bait known to man.

from sniperjohn wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I think your buck feels far too vulnerable and on-guard out in the open. I would move Stand 1 back into a tad more cover amongst the rubs to the East of its current position and near the creek crossing. Re-post the decoy closer into that cover but not so far that it can't be seen from the field. This will give your buck the idea that an imposter has crossed into his turf. Grunt him in again, and perhaps use some doe scent nearby/upwind, further making him believe an imposter buck is moving in on a hot doe. Hopefully, the illusion will give you the shot opportunity on a distracted buck that you need.

from Double D wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I will share my tips on how to kill the buck if you teach me how to draw like that. You are quite the ar-teest.

from Reynol40 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I have a similar situation going on. I would venture a guess that there are more scrapes opening up around the field edge. I would head in early if the wind is right and speed scout with a climber or whatever portable stand you have and check out that inside corner of the southern portion of the field. Deer, especially bucks like to use inside corners of fields. Just inside the woods I would image you'll find a heavily used deer run and I would say a good amount of fresh big buck sign. I would hang my stand close to this run/sign. This should provide you with a shooting opportunity of some sort. You'll be with in eye sight of the southern portion of the field as well, this could be a "plan B" spot and stalk.

The other methods others have mentioned are good but would require you to frequent the area, I would not do this because pressure can cause a buck like this to hold his feeding efforts until after dark.

I hope you get this buck!

Rex

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

D,
Ain't that purdy? I'll tell you what, you give me the winning strategy and you can have the rack--and an art lesson.

from JDubYa wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Firstly Dave, I thoroughly enjoyed your bow hunting skills article. I intend on having my first bow kill this year.
That being said, first try would be to activate some of those scrapes with some doe estrous or "mtn dew" ;) lol
and try to back to stand #1
If that doesn't work try, making a new mock scrape near the southern side of the field along with sticking the decoy back in the field, and trying stand #2 again this time with some "buck scent" or possibly set up a little closer to the south entrance.
And if all else fails get a doe decoy, some estrous, and pull a hail mary at stand #2 or once again set up a little closer to the southern entrance.

from JDubYa wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

and try to back to stand #1

from abiddle013 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

This is what I would do. I would continue to hunt Stand two as the wind allowed, but only long enough to get a solid clue as to where the does are entering the field. As it gets closer to the rut I would want to be hunting right downwind of where the does enter the field. When the chasing phase begins he should be following those does pretty closely. If you know whereabouts the deer enter, and set stands on each side,then you should be able to hunt two different winds. I like to hang multiple stands around the same food plot that away I can hunt different winds.

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I would try a stand just East of the creek crossing and hunt it in the morning, catch him on his way back to bed, and rattle some antlers, if that doesn't produce, I would go further to the South if the wind is right, no decoy but definitely rattle and grunt, but not agressively, around the last thirty minutes of daylight, whether you can see him or not. I think the x-factor will be the rattle, if I am reading right he hasn't heard that yet.

from bruisedsausage wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Well Dave, that creek could be a deal killer for you. They have a knack for funneling air down them. Depending on the topography around where your stand is, it could be sending your scent all over the area to your south. (putting this buck on alert before he even arrives at the field!) I would highly recommend you look for a 'high' spot/ridge on the southern edge of the field. BTW which way are you entering the area from?

To get to the point I would set up inside the trees on the southern edge of the field. Assuming your drawing is dimensionally homogenous, place your stand roughly 30 yards to the west of the SE corner of the field. Say 15-20 yds inside the tree line.(assuming its not so thick that you can't see anything) Choice B is you set up right at the corner of the field, which might be a better choice, its just really hard to give honest advice on how to go about this without having been on the scene myself.

If you must bring the decoy, put it 'just' inside the tree line.

Good Luck!

from phconk wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

what i would do is set up in that top corner because when i see deer enter fields, they like to first appear in the corners to scan for danger. Seconds spot would be to find a stand by where the "brush" meets the "woods" because these are natural funnels

from njschneider wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

First thing I would do is buy a couple ounces of doe in estrous scent. On October 26 I would hang four or five scent sticks in the trees between the creek and field edge knowing that any way he enters the field he will pick up the scent. Wait three days for the wind to be right and hunt all day in Stand 2 with a buck decoy quartering at your stand. Refresh the scent sticks that morning and bring a pair of rattling horns. Right now he is looking for the first doe in estrous and you need to give that to him. Hanging scent in the area will drive him nuts he will run the area looking for her the next couple days. The buck decoy will seal the deal of getting him within bow range. I would hunt that stand for the next couple days refreshing the doe in estrous scent everyday.

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Dangit I got here late because there is a number of folks who have already posted whom I know have a pretty good idea of chasin deer tactics. I'm not going to read any of them because I don't want to sway my thoughts.

I'm interested in the scrape on the northeast portion of alfalfa edge but wish I knew more about the brush labeled near that same area. Combined with the expectation of the buck coming from the south it hurts what I would picture as a good option (based on the colorful chicken scratch anyway)

I'm going to do a 2 part. I would go in 1 full day before you want to hunt and rough up that scrape and piss in it just like good ol' DEP described in a recent post. This needs to be when the next day wind is supposed to be out of the South or SouthSouthWest. Then if there's an option to get almost right on the Southeast corner. I honestly think if the wind is quartering from any direction, you might be able to get put your stand wherever you wouldn't get winded if he came from the south. Then I'd place the decoy again about 40 yards north of the south edge of the field.. Almost more to take attention as he gets to the field.. and then I'd use a doe bleat to stop him as he comes in hoping to catch him paying attention to the decoy.

If that doesn't work, gather some of the colorful cupcakes (or are they trees) from your drawing and create a bait pile. That always works. Only kidding Dave.. good luck!

from neuman23 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I wouldn't listen to any of us and just keep doing what you're doing. You've already almost gotten him twice, so you must be doing something right. Eventually luck will be on your side. Just make sure not to hunt the stand if the wind is blowing to the south, since that is where you think he is coming from. Good luck and shoot straight.

from Gremlinsrus wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I would set up closer to the corner of the field for a morning hunt. Use Doe estrous on wicks or a doe decoy as well as freshening the scrapes. Setup on the south or east side depending on the wind placing the decoy near the corner with wicks along the opposite side. This would work best when the wind is coming out of the northeast. Don't be afraid of the south wind, use it to your advantage.

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I would set up by the stream crossing, his trails have to interect somewhere, and when the rut starts the does will funnel threw there and maybe he will slip up and follow her threw for a shot. set a trail cam by it, an see if and when he is coming threw

from finnyk wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Stick with S1 and just be patient.

from steve182 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Use the same setup and wind as your second sighting. Use the one horn buck decoy standing over a bedded doe decoy. Do some tending grunts and estrous bleets. Rattle if you can't get his attention.

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Considering that deer can be curious to a fault, I would make my decoy a spike and place him anywhere along the east edge, facing into the wind but only half way into the field...and then splash him with Aqua Velva aftershave. Pick a tree 15-20 yards upwind of the decoy for your climbing stand or better yet, climb the tree yourself to a good place. Play the wind and appeal to the curiosity of the animal. Forget the tickling antlers and grunt tube. My mentor would smoke his pipe on stand and tagged many a curious buck that fell for the tobacco scent. Plan B would involve a north wind and then you open a pouch of Redman and place it 10 feet west of your decoy. As an aside, you can also use Redman as a lure in front of your trail camera.

from csoutdoors wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

If your predominant wind for the area is NW, I would agree he is bedding S of the field. That would indicate his rub line could be a morning travel pattern returning to rest.
#1 Choice: I think I would try and get in there during the morning and setup off the SE corner between the pinch between the creek and field edge. Especially if Does bed back there, he will want to sniff around and would be receptive to tending grunts and doe bleats.

#2 Choice: He is going to be cruising the field edge soon scent checking once he gets out of his bed. I would think that anywhere along the edge of that field will pay off. But again, if there is a pinch point where multiple trails cross that is going to be more productive. I still think that I would set a stand further South down that funnel between the field and creek. He will slip up soon enough.

from Abe Cross wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I agree with DSMbirddog, mostly. Set up where he is coming into the field on the south edge. However, with the upcoming rut (in some places the current rut), I would still use the decoy, which he is obviously interested in. Because he is interested in fighting off other bucks, I think a grunt would be very effective, as well.

from VAHunter540 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Hold tight till Muzzleloader season comes in.....

from Arumik wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Wait for a good wind, and Hunt the same stand. No reason to mess with any of the already hot sign. Good Luck.

from RipperIII wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Assuming a NW,...or any westerly wind, I'd slip down the creek until I was approximately 100-150yds South of the s.e. corner of the field.
If I found fresh sign, I'd set up there, if not I'd work my way slowly north west toward the corner of the field...find a good tree about 15 yd off the corner and shimmy up.

from RipperIII wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I like to hunt on the ground as much as up in a tree.
If the wind is coming from the easterly direction, I'd try to find a little hollow in the field, set up a natural blind roughly in between the two previous sightings.

from Rgw3 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Call in an airstrike from an A-10 Warthog. Oh wait, sorry that was from my military days.

from huntinhuntinhuntin wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Mock scrape on the edge of the field. Doe urine, not estrous as it seems your does are slightly spooky and the estrous smell can spook them. Sit in your s2 stand and have the scrape about 20 yards away. Wait about 2 days and try it the 1st-5th of november.

from Levi Banks wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I would bet he's entering in a low spot in the field, possibly in the corner. Is there a fence around the field, maybe a gap or where a tree fell on it and is holding the top strand down. I think somebody mentioned it, but that scrape and rub line might be as he's leaving the field after he's had his salad course and decided to move on to something else.

from mikethemoose wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I'd wait for a south or south-west wind-incase he's bedding further south from the field.Then I'd set up 30 yards away from the inside corner on the southeastern side of the field, by the creek- on the field edge. Then I'd set my decoy up 20 yards out into the field facing the stand.Either quartering to or head on should work. If the buck comes out in the corner it'll be a 30 yard shot. If he decides to skirt the down wind side- it'll be a 30 yard? shot to the creek. If he walks down the field edge to confront the decoy head on- it'll be maybe a 20 yard shot on the edge. The main thing is to approach the setup by walking along the creek- just in case he's out in the field,then you can try to put a stalk on him.I'd say maybe get on stand by 1:30-2:00 pm ( to avoid spooking) That's what I would try. Good Luck!!!!

from RANGERMANZ20 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Dave I've been down this road several times over the years hunting in Kansas. After much frustration and alot of stand moving, I decided to meet the deer on their terf so to speek. As you said about getting down and sneaking in for a shot, which I had tried to no luck, (Waisted Time)getting down. The key I think to this Buck is being mobil, play the wind and basicly still hunt him from the field edge, if you have time range some easy to spot areas in the field so you have a fast range estimant. Use the road sounds to cover your movement and get in early so you can spot both the buck , but also the does so you can aviod being busted, leave all the decoys and sents at home and use your mobility to swing the odds in your favor. Basicly just keep it simple and walk to him and shot him.

from 2Poppa wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I hunted the same scenario several years ago with a friend, who by the way has the Kentucky State typical record.

We were hunting a field alongside I-75 here in Kentucky, that had 70 yards of woods butted up against the interstate. On one side was a truck stop that had dense, thick cover with cedars and a couple of low areas that held water; a likely place for a big buck to have for a bedding area.

After lunch, I proposed that my buddy set-up a climber alongside I-75, about 50 yards into the woods. That way the buck had to cross in front of him because the interstate and the truck stop were barriers to his escape or movement.

I stayed at the truck stop after lunch so my friend could get his climber in and settle down. After 45 minutes, I began to make my way through the woods (this was the first day I hunted this small farm). I always carry a turkey call and when I move through the woods I usually hit it a few times to cover my noise while sneaky stalking.

I didn't want the buck to be bumped,I just wanted him to slip past my friends stand. I slowly moved through the area; about a 100 yards in an hour and fifteen minutes, while hittin' the mouth call for a few clucks and my scent moving through the area.

I was within 60 yards of my friends climber as I hit the turkey call again, when one answered me back form under his stand. B-0-0-M!
Just as I had planned the buck moved parallel to the I-75 barrier in front of his tree stand. It green scored 152'.

I thought of that for the next year and set-up my son in the very same stand 'cept it was a morning hunt. I got him in there 2-hours prior to daylight as to not bump any deer out of the field. We did bump a few, but we moved slow enough that they just thought we were passing through.

Deer don't bother to count hunters, so I walked in with him to his stand. After he got up and in his stand, I moved on to another area that I hunted. Five minutes after daylight a 140' buck moved through the I-75 corridor into the trap we had set.

This worked for a couple of reasons: 1.) We got in 2 hours prior to daylight. 2.) The interstate prevented the deer from escaping our plan as they moved through those particular woods as they had hundreds of times before.

Dave, I would place my climber alongside the traffic area somewhere in the south-west corner, near clumps of deer fecal waste, with large hoof prints. I would hunt the stand very early morning, as mentioned above 2-hours before first light. This is critical. Make plans for an all day hunt and stay put. I would place at least 3-canisters (Doe-n-heat) in front of my stand, while I used a cover scent, preferrably raccoon scent which is more natural as you climb the tree.

Good Luck and Stay Safe!

from woodpecker wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I wouldn't go back there untill at least the first week of nov. and then I'd set up closer to the active scrape. Even then, I wouldn't expect to get a shot untill the chase season begins. My guess is he'll be coming from the south east if he's by himself and any direction if he's in love. You'll be able to tell that because he'll be following a doe with flower's and chocklet's in his hoof.

from whitetailaddict wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Cut down a tree with an overhanging branch and "plant" it in the middle of the field 20 yards from your stand. Make a mock scrape under your stand then wait for the buck tio come out. When he does he will go right to the licking branch and scrape in the middle of the field.

from SoCalBowhunter wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

If I were in this situation, I would set up my stand near the SSE corner of that field, but in between the corner and where you spotted him the second time.

I would put it inside the woods 10 yards or so where you have not only a clear shot to the field, but also a lane to that crossing line.

I would make a mock scrape along the edge of the field about 40 yards from your lane into the field. Then I would use that decoy and have it 5 yards from the edge, but further North in your set up. That way if that buck comes in and want to tussle, he is going to be focused on that decoy when you are set to draw.

Should he get beyond the decoy or pay no attention to it, he may use that crossing lane and then you'd have another opportunity.

Use your grunt tube for sure. If he wants a fight, grunting will tick him off and he'll come in. I have called in many bucks that normally travel at night during the noon hour and they are now on my wall.

Now, if the wind isn't right for that set up, I'd head down near that rub line and settle into a homemade ground blind near the edge of that field. Set up a mock scrape along the edge of the field and don't use the decoy. You don't want him on high alert if you are on the ground. Good luck!

from MPEK wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I would find a deertrail / runway that was being used entering the field . I would trace back for the nearesr crossing of trails . Then set a treestand as near to that spot as possible . Then make scent drags up and down the runways for at least 100 yards in each direction. Make a drag circle around yuor stand at least40 yards, Set 4 scent wicks out 20 yards of your stand in 4 drections. Of course, keep draging your scentsback to your stand , I like using "Code Blue" brand. Doe in estros and dominent buck scents. One on each foot. Get back in that tree. Pack a lunch and don't be afraid to use your grunt call and doe bleat .. Stay all day .. Enjoy .

from Donald Smith wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

If this was me I would get across the creek by the crossing if possible on the downwind side either in a ground blind behind the natural foliage or a stand in the trees if any are nearby call with a grunt tube or rattle antlers lay down some tarsal gland lure as he is more than likely thirsty after spending time in the alfalfa fields snacking go in before lunchtime as he might be versed in a human factor and be on the move when we go out to eat and the forrest is empty

from CbBucks22 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Well I think he might be crossing the creek more south then you think. The buck wont follow the does till he sees them. The crossing You see might just be the does and fawns crossing. And if you say he likes to come from the south end of the field then I would set two new stands. One towards the south end of the creek and one in the upper left hand corner of your beautiful drawing of the alfalfa field. Id sit in the field at night and the creek during the morning. A morning feed gets the buck of edge, more vulnerable. so take him earlier if you can. And the wind is always a factor. That buck will try to keep his nose in the wind, to sniff you out or any doe. so get some scents out and place them slightly downwind from you. he will smell that before he smells you. And his interest well be peeked so much that even if he does get a wiff of you he wont mind. If it comes down to it call him in if the shots to far. Im a gun hunter myself and don't have much experience shooting a bow but you say tomato I say toemato. Hope this helps you.

from johnjf wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I would setup stand one near the corner of the field just incase he makes his way from the woods or down the stream to the corner of the field. You can catch him there making his way to feed.

2nd stand location would be near the crossing just overlooking the rubs and crossing but also behind you and the creek. That way if he does cross then you can catch him making his way to the rubline or if he decided to cross and go down the creek to work his way to the corner of the field you can still get him. You'll also have a shot at him if he makes his way through the crossing.

from Mike Myers wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I say you should move S2 east a little bit and maybe a little south to set up near the rub line and creek crossing, wait for a wind that blows west to east, and wait for him to slip up during the pre rut or the rut, he'll be through and walk right in front of you!!

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Dave Harteau - Register an account at www.biggamelogic.com and map the property. When you're done, friend me on the Big Game Logic website...I'm Bioguy on there. I need to zoom out to see what's around you to get you in position for a shot. I will place tree stands on your map where I think you should sit.

from Reynol40 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Well how did you make out?!?! Dying for an update!

Rex

from Basheer Benhalim wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Maybe its time to get out of the tree and on the ground. Set up a ground blind on the field edge in your drawing on the south east corner maybe 50 yards or so off the corner towards the north. I would also, make it an all day sit kind of hunt unless you have cameras working to figure out what time this buck is working his scrapes and rubs. Last but not least, keep the decoy out and pair it with a doe, if he is the dominant buck don't think he will be up for a youngin tending a hot doe.

from gen_27_3 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Dave,
I am a young hunter from Ohio with only 2-3 years of experience of hunting deer, but this is exactly what I would do If I was hunting this buck:
I would put a stand facing NW in the woods near the SE corner of the alfalfa field (near the brown tree and yellow tree below it). I might also put a stand facing NE near the orange tree under "WOODS". Try to put up the stand(s) on a rainy day to try to keep your noise and scent as low as possible. My bet is that he beds in the S woods, travels N through the alfalfa field, and on his way back, makes/checks his scrapes and rubs before stopping at the creek for a drink. I would also put salt/mineral block, Lucky Buck, or C'Mere Deer (friends and I have had great success with all mentioned) about 20 yards NW from the SE corner of the field. Maybe put up a tree cam to monitor the salt/etc. I think any of these stand positions should give you a real good chance at getting that buck. Use estrous scent a few days before the peak of rut, and stick with the estrous bleat rather than a grunt call (just because you have seen several does and not other bucks). I would not use a decoy, but that is just my preference. I am confident that this plan will put meat on your table and a rack in my room if you choose to use it. Thank you for considering my strategy. Good luck and good hunting!

from GrandSlamDreamer wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

To many this suggestion might seem taboo. But I would plop a blind in one of the corners of the field, whichever faces the prevailing wind most often. I would then bring plenty of food, water, books etc and prepare for an all-day-sit. The morning that you go in, I would set up a drag with some hot doe and walk the rub line that morning. Walk out into the field close enough to your blind that you could get a shot but far enough that subtle movements will not be detected. then pick up that drag, pack it away and go sit in the blind. I would highly suggest that you do the morning stuff at least 30-45 min before first light. Hopefully this will help, good luck!!!

p.s. If you do not have a blind put a S3 in a similar position to where you would put the blind. The other steps hold true.

from Filson wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I have a similar set up, except on mine west is on top, and east is on the bottom. We always have a west wind until that hurricane crap blew in. Well with north being to my right on your map, the buck was in the creek bed I was in stand 1, I rattled, grunted, and waited, he came out, I drew back, and blammo, 11pt down. So, drink 3 beers in your stand, and 2 on the way too it. Create your scrape by peeing off your treestand, not where your hands will be on the way down, forget the dummy, bait with corn, and remember to not have the neighbor kids ride 4wheelers before you hunt. E

from fishman417 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

set a stand or blind near the circle with the 52 in it

from woodsdog wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Its getting into the rut, forget the sign you know he's in there so they should be chasing, well now. The only real structure I can see in your drawing is that inside corner. Set up about 15 to 20 yards on that inside corner there will be a trail there funneling all deer movement. The wind should be blowing out to the field in most circumstances with the exception of a first light hunt. Stay there all day and rattle and grunt. Depending on the wind I would put your decoy about 5-10 yards out straight from the corner.

from woodsdog wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Add this to my previous post, the other structure is the creek, so on that inside corner where the creek narrows it down close (on the northeast side) is your money stand spot in my estimation.

from Double D wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Easier said than done!

from peppeli wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Don't whistle next time.

from phconk wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from neuman23 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from finnyk wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Stick with S1 and just be patient.

from Rgw3 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from huntinhuntinhuntin wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from SoCalBowhunter wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from MPEK wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Love the united "watermark" faded on the paper in reverse too....:)

from 2804Penn wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from peppeli wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Pacific Hunter wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from nchunt101 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from nchunt101 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from sniperjohn wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from Reynol40 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

I hope you get this buck!

Rex

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

D,

from JDubYa wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

and try to back to stand #1

from JDubYa wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

and try to back to stand #1

from abiddle013 wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

from bruisedsausage wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

If you must bring the decoy, put it 'just' inside the tree line.

Good Luck!

from njschneider wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Gremlinsrus wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from csoutdoors wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Abe Cross wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from VAHunter540 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Hold tight till Muzzleloader season comes in.....

from Arumik wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from RipperIII wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from RipperIII wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I like to hunt on the ground as much as up in a tree.

from Levi Banks wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from mikethemoose wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from RANGERMANZ20 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Good Luck and Stay Safe!

from woodpecker wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from whitetailaddict wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Donald Smith wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from CbBucks22 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from johnjf wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Mike Myers wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Reynol40 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Well how did you make out?!?! Dying for an update!

Rex