Hunting Tip: Get a Ride To and From Your Stands to Avoid Spooking Deer

Whitetail 365

December 17, 2012

Hunting Tip: Get a Ride To and From Your Stands to Avoid Spooking Deer

By Dave Hurteau

Many of you savvy farmland hunters already know this tip, but for anyone who doesn’t, it’s an oldie and a goodie: Because farmland whitetails are accustomed to seeing pickup trucks in fields, they don’t freak out at the sight of one. It’s a good idea, therefore, to have a buddy drive you to and from your farmland stands, especially at the end of an evening sit. As Bestul says in the video above, if deer are out feeding in a field near your evening stand, they may scoot into the woods when your buddy drives into it to pick you up. But they’ll come right back to the field the next night, which means you can go back to that stand with confidence.

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

We use the same trick in the bear stands. Have a buddy walk in with you and bang the empty bait bucket the whole walk out. It may seem loud and obnoxious but it seems to give them the confidence that theyre alone and the bait barrel is full. ( sorry to those opposed to bear baiting, but I figured to give a tip to those that are interested in it.)

from Steve in Virginia wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Deer seem less concerned with trucks in the field, and I have even noticed this dynamic back in the woods on a four-wheeler. Our lease has both fields and hardwoods, and we use a Polaris side-by-side to transport hunters in and deer out. Deer see the vehicle and headlights and don't appear to startle as much as an individual walking in.

from Buckshott00 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Thanks for the tip guys! I've never tried this but it makes me wonder if it works in more than just farm areas too.

from allegnmtn wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I guess I'll have to be the nay sayer to the whole motorized transport trend. We have, what I see is a problem (and a bonus for me) with 4wheelers. Here in northern PA where I hunt, deer, especially big bucks, equate 4wheelers with hunters. We've had a huge push to kill off a large portion of the deer herd here in the past 15 years and a population drop of over 50%. The deer who are here today are the offspring of this. They've grown up under intense hunting pressure and equate and human presence in the woods with danger. They go to deep cover at the sound of a 4wheeler and stay there.

Even though there's been a major drop in the number of hunters and a drop in hunter pressure in the past few years, this doesn't seem to have changed this reaction. I kill deer because I'm very, very quiet and conscious of wind direction going into a stand. I get in quietly and in the stand in the least disruptive way possible. You can't do this on a 4 wheeler. I would agree that bumbling down a road in the middle of a field on foot can be just as bad but I don't do that either.

from vstromanjr wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Well now I know why I see a few does bolt when walking in at the top of my farmland. I'll definitely drive the truck in this time and sneak to my stand. Thanks for the tip!

from Jim in Mo wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

This is all true. While on a tractor doing a field deer mosey right around me, not afraid at all.

from allegnmtn wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago