How to Hunt for Years on $2,000: The Treestands and Climbing Steps

Whitetail 365

August 21, 2013

How to Hunt for Years on $2,000: The Treestands and Climbing Steps

By Dave Hurteau

Click here if missed the last installment. To recap, the September issue cover story “Deer Hunting in the Real World” included a large sidebar called “Hunt for Years on $2,000,” featuring 12 essential deer-hunting items totaling under $2K, each of which are either very good or shockingly good for the price. The print edition included only a list. So here’s here a bit more info. On Monday, I detailed the bow, rifle, and muzzleloader. Today, the stand and steps.

Comfort Zone Hunter Hang-On Stand

Anyone who follows this blog knows that I have raved repeatedly about this being the best deal in treestands. It still is. Looks like Dick’s change the look of the stand a bit this year and maybe bumped up the MSRP. Don’t worry; you can still get it for $39.99 in stores and online. As I’ve said many times, it’s not a great stand, but it is remarkably good for the price. Here’s a link to a previous, longer review.

MSRP: $70; dicksportinggoods.com

Summit Viper Classic Climbing Treestand

In case you haven’t noticed, good climbing stands have gotten pretty insanely expensive, like more-than-the-rifle-I-reviewed-in-the-last-post expensive. Personally, I use a climber a lot—I mean a lot a lot—so I’m willing to splurge for the best. That said, I’ve used the classic Viper a bunch, and it’s still a pretty darn good climber: lightweight, fairly compact, well made, and still hugely popular. For $180 you absolutely can’t beat it. The SD model (shown) is quieter for another $80 or so.

MSRP: $200, street price $180; summitstands.com

Big Game Staggar Steps

These steel steps are the best bargain I’ve seen in portable, individual steps or sticks. There are cheaper models that connect to form a straight ladder, but these can be less than ideal for crooked trees. Staggar Steps are fairly light, they go up in a snap, and provide very sure footing. You just need to be careful, as they’re a little loud if you clang them.

MSRP: $60 for three; cabelas.com

from weweber3 wrote 34 weeks 7 hours ago

How about tree saddles?

from Online Editors wrote 34 weeks 7 hours ago

weweber,
You mean a safety harness? You should get a free one with any stand. But if you want to spend for something better, I like the ones from Gorilla, Muddy, and Tree Spider. --Dave Hurteau

from weweber3 wrote 34 weeks 6 hours ago

They are more designed for all day hanging in the tree. I first read about them in Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails by John Eberhart. Seems more like a safety harness that is comfortable to sit in on the side of the tree. Eberhart seems to be a huge fan of them. I admittedly don't know too much about them and you rarely hear about "tree saddles".

from Online Editors wrote 34 weeks 6 hours ago

Ahh, those tree saddles. I gotcha.
I don't know. I've never tried one, because the concept has always seemed kind of crazy to me. I've always thought, Why dangle when I can sit?
Anyone out there tried one? --dh

from CL3 wrote 34 weeks 4 hours ago

You're basically telling us we can get in a tree for $130? I like these articles you're doing.

from Bioguy01 wrote 33 weeks 6 days ago

Practical gear for the average hunter...I've been waiting for these articles for a long time. Thanks for bringing them to us Dave!

from ChrisUng wrote 33 weeks 6 days ago

If weight isnt a big concern of yours, you can find some REALLY good deals at Sportsmansguide dot com, especially in their "Guide Gear" branded stuff. They are always running promotional sales and you can usually find valid coupon codes online. I've bought several sets of climbing sticks and stands from them and have few complaints. It sure beats the prices you'd pay for big name stuff...

from weweber3 wrote 34 weeks 7 hours ago

How about tree saddles?

from Online Editors wrote 34 weeks 7 hours ago

weweber,

from weweber3 wrote 34 weeks 6 hours ago

from Online Editors wrote 34 weeks 6 hours ago

Ahh, those tree saddles. I gotcha.
Anyone out there tried one? --dh