Legendary Tracker Larry Benoit Dies, 89

Whitetail 365

October 16, 2013

Legendary Tracker Larry Benoit Dies, 89

By Dave Hurteau

Photo by Marius Bugge

I was away last week, bowhunting in South Dakota, when I heard that the great Vermont whitetail tracker Larry Benoit had passed away.

Having grown up in the Northeastern big woods, nothing in hunting stirs me more than the prospect of dogging a track deep into the wilderness and dragging home the buck that made it. And like so many other North Woods hunters, I have mostly Larry Benoit to thank for that. I'm sorry to say that I never had a chance to meet the man, but F&S contributing editor Lawrence Pyne visited Larry The Legend in the Benoit living room, interviewed the master tracker several times, and has filmed and hunted with his well-known sons. And so, I asked Lawrence to write Benoit's obituary for this space. Here it is:

The man once hailed as the country's best deer hunter will not be on the track of a big buck this fall. Larry Benoit passed away peacefully Oct. 8 in the comfort of his home and family in Duxbury, Vermont. He was 89.

Born Sept. 24, 1924 in East Berkshire, Vermont, Benoit learned to hunt while growing up during the Great Depression on his family's small, hardscrabble farm in the northern Green Mountains. Hunting was done as much for food as for sport, and in an era when the annual deer limit was one, he learned to track down the biggest buck he could find because it meant more meat on the table.

Benoit honed his skills to the point where he soon had an unparalleled record of consistently bagging huge bucks in the big, rugged woods of northern New England, a region where deer are few and success comes hard. For years people would come from across the region just to see the giant deer hanging from the porch of his home.

In 1970 Sports Afield magazine named him "the best whitetail deer hunter in America." In 1975, he released his first book, How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life, which turned generations of stumpsitters into skilled, active hunters and is still considered one of the seminal works on the art of tracking deer.

Despite a lengthy battle with cancer, Benoit remained an accomplished deer hunter to the end. He shot more than 200 deer during his lifetime, including a large 10-point main frame with a long drop tine that he took last year in Wisconsin while hunting as the guest of one of his many admirers.

In his later years, Benoit and his sons Lanny, Shane, and Lane—who are rightfully considered among the top trackers of their generation— turned the Benoit name into a brand. They released several more books and videos, and led countless seminars at sportsmen's shows across the snowbelt.

Photo courtesy of Vermont Fish and Wildlife

But Benoit never forgot his roots. He always seemed to take as much pride in the weight of the deer he shot as the inches of antler they carried, and he never entrusted anyone else to butcher them. Instead, he and his wife of 66 years did it themselves. The gambrel they used still hangs from the ceiling of their home, just a few steps in from the front door in a living room that bristles with the antlers of dozens of huge bucks.

Benoit's legacy lives on today on crisp November mornings across the north country, when legions of hunters clad in his signature green-checkered wool jacket and carrying a Remington pump-action rifle take to the woods. They are looking for a large, fresh buck track to follow, but they are also following in Benoit's foot steps, using skills he passed on and a hunting style he popularized. —Lawrence Pyne

from Dougfir wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

I was starting to worry that you guys wouldn't mark this passing. What a great life lived. RIP Larry!

from Dougfir wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

from seth trudeau wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

I have certainly learned a thing or two from this man. RIP Larry Benoit

from nehunter92 wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

Sad to see him go, but at least he lived his days out to the absolute fullest. Larry Benoit typified the New England deer hunting ethic. Hard land demands hard hunting, and Larry sure fit the bill. Got out of the stand (or in his case, rarely set foot in one) and onto the trail. Measured his trophies in pounds, not inches. Hunted hard, hunted long, and never ever looked back.

Rest easy friend, you earned your place in the big deer woods in the sky.

from buckhunter wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

R.I.P., Larry. May the wind be in your face and fresh snow under your feet.

from Gtbigsky wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

A big woods hunting icon and ambassador of the sport. Rip

from shane wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

We measure tracks with '06 cartridges. Lucky enough to get a hold of a few of his handmade knives in the hands of several generations of my family when they were affordable, before they started going for $600 or so. His books sat on the table in camp. We score with pounds. Can't eat antler.

from Longrifle wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

Larry Benoit was the embodiment of true deer hunting. Not just a guy who sniped deer. His lessons can be applied no matter where you hunt, and will make you a much better hunter than the average guy who thinks hunting success is correlated to the amount of money you spend on stuff.

Read the books and watch the first two videos. Watch him track bucks while he was in his late seventies. You may realize the celebrity tools that everyone worships do not deserve the title deer hunter as it applied to Larry Benoit.

RIP

from Moose1980 wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

I loved reading about the Benoits when I was growing up....I'll sure be thinking of him while I'm toting my Rem 7600 through the woods of northern Maine next month.

from ejunk wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

dude had a heck of a run. only read that book in recent history, but enjoyed it immensely. a hunter's hunter.

from jhjimbo wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

Who in the Northeast did not read the deer hunting stories about Larry Benoit and his Son's and learn a thing or two?
Thank you.

from MICHMAN wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

Larry Legend left quite a bootprint on the hearts of many hunters. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he isn't already sitting around heavens campfire with Fred Bear and Teddy Rosevelt telling tall tales and enjoying some fresh tenderloin.

from Pep wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

What a jerk.

-9 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

What a jerk.

-9 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

What a jerk.

-9 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

I'll bet the deer are celebrating this wonderful news!

-10 Good Comment? | | Report
from buckhunter wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

Pep, I think the deer understand, and appreciate, the relationship between predator and prey more than you think. The death of an animal gives life to others and makes room for future generations of the species. This cycle has turned since the beginning of time. Long before man walked this earth. However, to an ignorant, classless, tree-hugger, death spurns tasteless remarks.

from poetwild wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

Every autumn, I try to hunt like Larry Benoit. Tracking deer in the deepest of the Big Woods is the most challenging way to do it.

from nehunter92 wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

buckhunter,

For your own sake, please don't feed the troll. Rational arguments are beyond it, as it is not capable of much else than idiocy. Ignore it, and it will go back under its bridge.

from TeamAsgrow wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

RIP, I never entrust anyone else to butcher my deer either. Part of the job I enjoy, turning animal into food.

from Pep wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

@buckhunter; So whaddaya plan on killin' this week?

-6 Good Comment? | | Report
from Raymo40 wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

Tell ya what Pep I plan on killing everything that I have a license for and can fit in the freezer because it all tastes so damn good!!

from dtownley wrote 26 weeks 14 hours ago

Bless you Track Master, you have impressed many through sizeing up impressions that ended up fulfilled days afield while filling full a family freezer. You will be missed terribly by your fans, as I am one and feel a hollow from your absence.:{ Peace to the family

from Safado wrote 26 weeks 11 hours ago

RIP Larry Benoit. A life well lived. Well written Mr. Pyne. Anyone that would troll a person's obituary has no shame!

from Dale Boyles wrote 26 weeks 10 hours ago

A great loss to the hunting world. Larry was an icon and will be missed, not just in the Northeast, but by many hunters who knew about him thought the U.S. I am fortunate to have one of his books that tells a lot about his skills and love for hunting. Larry Benoit was a good man who loved his family and the outdoors. God bless his family.

And now to that one ignominious,liberal, prejudiced small person, Pep, who obviously approves Mr. Benoit's passing and calls him a jerk: You are the prejudiced jerk; you have no morals, no respect for the deceased and you have no class. I would not want to be in your shoes when you stand before your Maker! Finally, a quote that is appropriate to you: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt!"

from Dale Boyles wrote 26 weeks 10 hours ago

from Pep wrote 26 weeks 8 hours ago

@buckhunter- Sure you do. You're most likely a poacher and or a trophy huunter, like your late buddy, Larry. Hey, on top that you're probably a vegetarian!

-4 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 8 hours ago

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 8 hours ago

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 8 hours ago

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Gary Devine wrote 26 weeks 7 hours ago

Before I read Larry Benoit book "How to Bag the Biggest Whitetail Buck of your Life" I would go on week long deer hunting trips in Maine.

I would walk in the woods and sit all day on a log or rock. I wore big warm heavy boots, had a large knife, giant binoculars, an overkill warm hunting jacket, a big water canteen, a noisy hot seat and to much unnecessary hunting gear in my day backpack.

Larry's book taught me how to track big bucks and how to lighten your load while tracking. I highlighted all the great hunting and tracking tips in his book.
Now I can move in the woods without over heating, taking multiple rest periods and panting for air.

Rest in Peace, Larry Benoit.

from GuyGene wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

I miss Larry Benoit already. Even many of us southern hunters who hunt very different woods learned from him! And, he has made me long for a Remington 7600 pump 30.06 for many years. It's on my wigs list still because of Larry's life. No scope. Just like him.

from azhunter wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

He was a real nice guy. I talked to him on the phone and I told him how my first hunting book was his and how helpful it was. I told him how I kept it for 25 years only to have it stolen. He put me on hold to look for he thought he had. Sorry to say he did not have anymore. I was nice of him trying to find me one without me asking. He will be missed.

from BRUN6784 wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

Rest in peace great hunter, i learned of you and from you as a young boy in the Duxbury/Waitsfield woods and took my first deer abot 10 miles from your home. I have listened to the teachings you have given in your books and in person and now am a successful hunter as well. there is no feeling like tracking the big bucks and no reward like bagging one. last year was my largest weighing in at 212 lbs 158 5/8 B.C GREEN SCORE. THANKS Larry for sharing you passion with all of us.

from mpoissant12 wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

Being a Vermonter and a life long hunter when you think of deer hunting he is the name you think of. RIP to the greatest hunter ever

from buckhunter wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

FYI, Larry's books can be found on Amazon.com at reasonable prices.

from Northeastsportsman wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

It is sad to see a deer hunting legend pass. I hunt in Northern Vermont where there are few roads and even fewer people. After reading two books on the Benoit's I took up tracking and love it. It is a hard way of hunting but you shoot big deer doing it. Larry also inspired me to buy a Remington Model 7600 in .308. Very accurate gun, simple to use, and fast to shoot. May there always be fresh fallen snow and a big buck tracks to follow. RIP

from woodsdog wrote 25 weeks 3 days ago

Another, and might I add, one of the greatest of the "Old Breed" deer hunters has left this world for paradise. May his soul forever walk with the Lord paralleling a freshly made track on the pathway to the full and complete understanding of our savior.

from Bone seeker wrote 25 weeks 3 days ago

To those who never heard of or knew Larry he is the true definition of whitetail hunting. Forget about guides, baiting, land management and naming the bucks on your own private land. This was a true old school hunter that used his knowledge to track and still hunt sometime all day or more to take his trophy. Hundreds of deer that way, who on this feed can say that? To my knowledge he did not use stands and was always on the move. I have one of his books read several times over and signed by his son Shane.

I think some of us hunters need to look in the mirror and say to ourselves are we truly hunting...the old school way? Or are we caught up is the hype of antler size and TV figures? How do you hunt? Don't get me wrong as I like a great rack but as his son Shane said on his above post we pride ourselves on weight.. We don't eat antler.

from buckhunter wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

from MICHMAN wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

from Raymo40 wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

from nehunter92 wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

Rest easy friend, you earned your place in the big deer woods in the sky.

from Dougfir wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

R.I.P., Larry. May the wind be in your face and fresh snow under your feet.

from shane wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

from Longrifle wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

RIP

from nehunter92 wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

buckhunter,

from Dale Boyles wrote 26 weeks 10 hours ago

from Gary Devine wrote 26 weeks 7 hours ago

Rest in Peace, Larry Benoit.

from Dougfir wrote 26 weeks 2 days ago

from Dale Boyles wrote 26 weeks 10 hours ago

from GuyGene wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

from azhunter wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

from BRUN6784 wrote 25 weeks 6 days ago

from mpoissant12 wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

FYI, Larry's books can be found on Amazon.com at reasonable prices.

from Northeastsportsman wrote 25 weeks 4 days ago

from woodsdog wrote 25 weeks 3 days ago

from Bone seeker wrote 25 weeks 3 days ago

from Pep wrote 26 weeks 8 hours ago

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 8 hours ago

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 8 hours ago

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 8 hours ago

-4 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

@buckhunter; So whaddaya plan on killin' this week?

-6 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

What a jerk.

-9 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

What a jerk.

-9 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

What a jerk.

-9 Good Comment? | | Report
from Pep wrote 26 weeks 1 day ago

I'll bet the deer are celebrating this wonderful news!

-10 Good Comment? | | Report