Step-by-Step: Making Bacon-Infused Bourbon

The Wild Chef

September 27, 2011

Step-by-Step: Making Bacon-Infused Bourbon

By Colin Kearns

I’ve been traveling a lot lately, and it’s been a month since I spent a weekend at home. So this past weekend, with nowhere to go, I took it easy. I slept in. I watched football. And I had fun in the kitchen experimenting with new recipes. I cooked a venison curry that I’ve never tried before (more on that to come later this week), and I also infused a bottle of bourbon—with bacon fat.

The bacon-bourbon was not my idea. Earlier this year, one of my best friends was here in New York City for business and we met up for drinks. One of the bars we visited, an out-of-the-way joint called PDT, listed a “Benton’s Old Fashioned” on its cocktail menu. Unlike a traditional Old Fashioned, this drink called for maple syrup instead of sugar and was made with—you guessed it—bacon-infused bourbon. We both ordered one and really enjoyed it. It’s not an everyday, or even every weekend, kind of drink—but still, pretty good. Since that night I’ve been looking for an opportunity and excuse the make the cocktail at home. So this weekend, with nothing to do and an unopened bottle of Wild Turkey 101, I decided to experiment.

Now I know what some of you are probably thinking: Bourbon is perfect just the way it is. Why mess with it? And you’re correct. Sort of.

Look, I love bourbon—more than any libation. I love sips of Pappy with a thick book in a comfortable chair, and I love swigs of Old Charter between laughs around a campfire. I celebrated with bourbon the night after I shot my first deer, and at camp after I landed my first steelhead. I love bourbon neat, on ice, or mixed into a Manhattan or Sazerac. (I don’t love it, however, with Coke. That just spoils the spirit.) And I love it most of all in an Old Fashioned—the most essential cocktail. Anyway, my point is: I love bourbon just the way it is, too. But sometimes it’s fun to experiment with new flavors in the kitchen. Just so you know, this bacon stuff tastes really good. But then, how could it not? It’s bourbon and bacon!

Click here for a step-by-step photo gallery on how to make bacon-infused bourbon—and the Benton’s Old Fashioned.

from pete5645 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I made some of this a couple weeks ago. Best of both worlds!

from jbird wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Sounds good, DANGEROUS, but good.

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I dunno, some things are so good by themselves that mixing them would be a sin...

from Brian W. Thair wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Blue Ox: That's entirely possible. However, without actually trying it, I won't make any personal pronouncement. Might do 1/2 or 1/4 recipe for testing.

Pancakes + maple syrup, fried eggs, bacon, bourbon.
"Breakfast of Champions" or "Heart-Stopper."

from fatkins76 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I'm glad to see the Old Fashioned in the limelight. It's one of my favorite cocktails, but it seems lost on my generation (children of the 80's). Thanks for posting an easy way to infuse the bacon.

from 1Browning2 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I'm not of drinking age, so this doesn't excite me, but the venison curry you talked about does. I am interested in reading about that.

from wp wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I might have to try this out one rainy day this fall.

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I have always believed everything is better with bacon. Cheese burgers, jalopinos, salid, but I think this is even going a little to far for me.

from steve182 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

No thanks. As much as i like meat,...not in my drink.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I don't like bourbon, but the word 'bacon' is like a magnet for me. It sounds good just for that.

from firedawg wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I had something very similar, but it was bacon infused bourbon, maple syrup, blood orange bitters, and ginger ale. The kicker though, was that it was garnished with a nice thick slice of peppered bacon. That thing was amazing, but one was the limit.

from CL3 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I'd have to try someone else's bacon-bourbon before I'd make my own... need to be convinced.

Good shout out to the old-fashioned. I'm relatively young, but have come to enjoy that cocktail here and there. I've had a variation that used muttled candied ginger, and was called The Matador.

from johntalbott wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Def not an everyday drink, but its good. I might have to make it, just to have some for when people come over. Thanks for the recipe!

from santa wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I have made smoke flavored vodka before by just adding a few drops of liquid smoke so I will have to try the bacon flavored burbon and maybe even bacon flavored rum.

from shane wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Bacon and maple syrup? You're gonna start us having drinks with breakfast!

from Hornd wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

This is not the 1st time I've seen this. I didn't try it, but they also had tobacco infused also. It looked like a big "chew" in it, but it may have been a cigar.
They also make a salmon infused vodka that I think you showcased in a special Bloody Mary.
Speaking of which, I would love to hear some ppls variations on the Bloody Mary.

from dtownley wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Horned, had some horrible Bloody Marys in the past, one day found a BPS gift card and ran over to blow it on some factory .300wby ammo it was on sale. The card had some change on it, so down to buy the wife some fudge and saw this BMM,the name was BLUE CRAB BAY brand STINGRAY Bloody Mary Mix and was so tasty I felt compelled to drink that afternoon while smoking a brisket. The brisket was perfect, so I heard anyway but the Bloody Marys were quite memorable. BASS PRO doesn't carry it anymore so I order it. Beats V-8, worchestershire, tobasco by a wide margin. I like celery sticks with mine just to keep it healthy

from Trapper Vic wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

this is an "OH MY GOD" moment! how did I miss thiis one!

from Brian W. Thair wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Pancakes + maple syrup, fried eggs, bacon, bourbon.
"Breakfast of Champions" or "Heart-Stopper."

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from jmshackelfo@aol.com wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from fatkins76 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from firedawg wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from shane wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Bacon and maple syrup? You're gonna start us having drinks with breakfast!

from steve182 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

No thanks. As much as i like meat,...not in my drink.

from jbird wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

Sounds good, DANGEROUS, but good.

from Hornd wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from Trapper Vic wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

this is an "OH MY GOD" moment! how did I miss thiis one!

from pete5645 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I made some of this a couple weeks ago. Best of both worlds!

from johntalbott wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from dtownley wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from santa wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

from wp wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago

I might have to try this out one rainy day this fall.

from 1Browning2 wrote 2 years 28 weeks ago