What's The Most Delicious Thing You’ve Ever Eaten?

The Wild Chef

October 10, 2011

What's The Most Delicious Thing You’ve Ever Eaten?

By David Draper

About a week or so ago, the New York Times Magazine published their annual Food & Drink Issue, which took the form of a series of questions and answers about food, drink, dining, etiquette, and more. While some of it was stereotypically pedantic and elitist as only the Times can be, the issue includes enough entertainment and information to make it well worth a thorough read.

Among the best Q&As, was an article by noted food-writer Bill Buford answering the question “What’s the most delicious thing you’ve ever eaten?” For Buford, it was a taste of warm pig’s blood, drunk from a ladle immediately after butchering a hog. While a cup of blood doesn’t sound particularly delicious, Buford’s description of the events leading up to the meal and the taste as “…ridiculously vital, as rich as it was vibrantly red, and weirdly, unapologetically full of health,” is as good as food writing should be. It also got me thinking about the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten.

A couple different times in this blog I’ve written about great meals—an elk backstrap and black risotto. But would I classify either of them as the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten? (The risotto would definitely come close.) Maybe it’s my fear of commitment, but thinking back, I would be hard pressed to name one thing that tops all others.

However, among the great meals I’ve had— including more than a few enjoyed with Field & Stream’s John Merwin— one does stand out. A simple venison tenderloin, cooked over a fire, that really jump-started my life as a passionate proponent of wild game. But that’s a story for another time.

Until then, what’s the most delicious thing you’ve ever eaten?

from Outsider wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

After being in a really bad part of the world for months...MRE's for every meal for longer than I care to talk about...A hot ham and cheese sandwhich on white bread. Hands down the best thing that has ever had the pleasure of being digested by me.

from ckRich wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Grandpa's BBQ ribs; Grandma's apple pie with crumble top crust; Dad's homemade(from scratch) biscuits and gravy; Mom's chicken taco casserole.

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I look forward to going to Bayou Bill's in Florida every year and getting their captains platter...the food is awesome and there's plenty of it...

from Riverrat57 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Several years ago, while living in Mobile, Alabama, my brother & I went out to Dauphine Island and gigged a mess of flounder and also scooped up a bunch of blue crabs. We got the idea to filet & skin the flounder (no bones) and boil the filets. We also boiled and picked out the crabs. Once we had all that done, we mixed it all together, with some sage, egg, salt and pepper. Made them into patties, floured and fried them. Melted some butter for dipping, and words just can't express how good they were. We called em "Flab Patties". Never had them since.

from FOX wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

The best meal in my book is my moms. She has a way to make any thing tast good. And to that reguard the thanksgiving feast is the best I have ever had.

from 007 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Each spring, my wife fixes a meal of side meat, fried potatos, brown beans, and dandelion greens. Chipped onion over the veggies, homemade horseradish for the meat, nothing better. Most folks won't understand this.

from buriti wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

I’ve lived in three continents and traveled to over 25 countries, so throughout my life I have had many fantastic meals all over the world, some rather formal and expensive and others totally opposite that, and it would be very difficult for me to single out the most delicious meal based only on the flavor of the food, because environment and company probably have a greater impact on the experience than the food by itself.

However, perhaps the most memorable meal that I ever had was prepared by my father. In June of 1987 we went “fishing” in the Comandante Fontoura River, in the state of Mato Grosso, Brazil, close to the Xingu National Park. North Mato Gross is frontier country as wild as or even more wild than remote parts of Alaska, Canada or Africa.

One day my father decided to go out fishing only with my brother Rodolfo and me. We packed the bare essentials and would have lunch on whatever we fished. That was a very poor day and the only fish we caught was a rather large black piranha.

My father built a fire on a clearing and cooked the piranha the native way, on a high grill made of green branches above hot coals. The only seasoning we had was something called “Arisco”, a mix of salt, garlic and onions.

When the fish was done my father used a knife to lift the skins and we picked out its flesh with our fingers. We were either very hungry or the piranha was delicious, probably both.

The only thing that makes me said is that I will never eat like that again. I buried my father almost three years ago.

Please, visit my blog at http://awildbeastatheart.blogsport.com

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Blueberry pie made from WILD Maine blueberries picked that morning. As many times as I've had it, I still take that 1st bite then sit for a second enjoying the moment. I don't do that with anyother food.

from jbird wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Fried morels, perfectly grilled rib-eye and fried crappie in my homemade batter. Didn't even have to think twice about it. Fresh caught trout is an acceptable substitute for the crappie.

from buckeye wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

One time while I was in mexico a couple of my college buddies and I found our way to a beach with a little concrete block shack on it. We were the only people there and they only had one thing on the menu a seafood platter that came out on a lunch tray. It had two whole snapers, a row of lobster tales, a row of conch meat, a mound of gulf shrimp, and some other kind of unidentifiable fish. It was all simply cooked with some lime juce and served with mounds of fry bread, tortillas and avacados. And it only cost about 5 bucks a person.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

When I was a younger, at the end of the summer at our cabin we would we would pick raspberries and wild blueberries and my great aunt would bake them in a pie. My great uncle would help the kids make home made hand turned vanilla ice cream, with the kids always cranking. It was always a few hour endeavor, but always, always worth it.

from kyka1865 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

One of my best meals was a fresh venison heart grilled over charcoal after along day of deer hunting. I always keep the heart but I cook it differently. My freind filleted it out so it looked like he just unrolled it then seasoned it with salt and pepper. It was super. We followed it with a rump roast I had marinated then grilled over the same charcoal. It was great.

from Themasterdan wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

After 5 days of backpack elk hunting in the back country, and two days of packing meat 5 mi back to my truck I cooked a fried egg sandwich with backstraps fried in bacon grease. It was so good that I think I shed a tear.

from CABdriver wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Popeye's red beans and rice

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from bass bomber wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

To put simply, bacon.

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

The best tasting meals I've had were cooked by my wife the day after we got married. Breakfast was a 12-egg omlette with a pound of chopped bacon mixed in, with home-made belgian waffles & a big bowl of oatmeal. Quart of ice-cold milk to wash it down. Dinner consisted of a 40oz. porterhouse marinated in jack daniel's & cooked extra rare, smashed taters with melted cheese, butter, sour cream, ranch dressing, & bacon grease. A really good cabernet on the side.
Served herself for desert...!
That woman will probably be the death of me, but what a way to go!

from TPDr wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

One of the most delicious meals I've had is my Grandma's thick and hearty chili with a couple pieces of buttered white bread. It's the best after a day in the woods.

from ec_nick wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

me and my dad and brother live and hunt in Georgia and every now and then we go over to our friends farm in South Carolina and my dad is 46 years old and our friend is about 56 years old, and every time we get done hunting whether it is deer or turkey, his mom who is most likely in her 80s cooks us lunch and dinner and I have only know her less than 1 year and she has probably made at least 3 of the best things i have ever eaten, but I think the best was her homemade green beans, scalloped potatoes, collards, deer cubed steak, cornbread, and pecan bars. makes my mouth water just thinkin about it, I have had all this before but hers byfar is the best everererer. oh I dont like pecan desserts but ill eat hers everyday

from wp wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Freshly caught trout fried stream-side in bacon grease. Served in crusty bread with bacon and eggs. Best breakfast ever.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Reading these makes me hungry. A quick question to some of you after reading them, though. Is it always the food or maybe the setting that does it? I have my reasons to ask.

The meal I'll always remember was one in Japan. The tables were round, and had little grills in the middle. It was a special treat for us, soon to be rotated home. They brought out trays of meat, fish, veggies, rice, and assorted sauces. We sat around, ate, talked, ate, sipped sake, and ate most of the night.

The food was great, but after some decades, I remember the night more than the food.

But the pile of BBQ I ate the day I got back from the middle east? MMMmmmmmm.

from Ruger wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

A bald young cat. lol

from dtownley wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Emeril's Crawfish stuffed steak, MGM Las Vegas, NV New Years Day 2000

from Derek Plato wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Fried Mullet Gizzards are a Prized meal in my house after a morning of cast-netting Mullet and filet them we pull out the gizzards clean-em-up and fry them fresh. If you like gizzards be sure to try mullet gizzards at least once in your life.

from wills1235 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

This could get quite long, but I'll try to be as brief as possible. Spectacular food has happened to me all my life, from my Mom's home cooking to some of the most amazing restaurants in the world. As a reformed fine dining chef cum farmhand, I've had numberless great experiences with food. When I read the title to this blog, however, two occasions jumped immediately to my mind. Roast saddle of lamb with a turnip gratinee at some fancy Italian place in Seattle is probably the finest restaurant dish I've ever had. Even better than the stuff out of my own kitchen. The only dish that topped that was one that I can proudly say I helped create. Myself and three buddies were on a pointless summer road trip down the Oregon coast. We first stopped at Rogue Brewery and procured a couple case of Russian Imperial Stout. Next stop was a roadside fish stand. Local mussels, clams, oysters, and shrimp, all at varying stages of expiration fell into our cooler. A roadside produce stand produced some early corn and potatoes, and the meat market had some locally made Longaniza sausage. The stout, along with all the other ingredients and some garlic and onion, found its way into a cast iron skillet over an open fire a few feet from the ocean and the most enormous sunset this earth has ever seen. You shoulda been there.

from hutter wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Eighteen pounds of greasy,grimey gopher meat,dirty little birdies feet,mutilated monkey meat,french fried eyeballs dipped in a pot of sauce and me without a spoon!!

from hutter wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Walkers and talkers!

from jr_armstrong wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

The most delicious foods was back when I was a child. My
father would take us to visit our grandparents down in Mexico.They would slaughter a hog and make all sorts of food.Chicharones (Fried pig skin),Tamales,Carnitas (fried pork).The best one was Morcilla (pork blood sausage),I remember helping my grandmother wash the intestine.While she grind the guts liver, kidneys,heart,and main ingredients hog blood.Add herbs and spices,cook in oven.
You can it eat for breakfast,lunch,or diner.Man have not had that in a long time.

from buriti wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Please, visit my blog at http://awildbeastatheart.blogsport.com

from bass bomber wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

To put simply, bacon.

from Riverrat57 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from kyka1865 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Themasterdan wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

Served herself for desert...!
That woman will probably be the death of me, but what a way to go!

from Ruger wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

A bald young cat. lol

from Outsider wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from FOX wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from buckeye wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from nuclear_fisher wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from TPDr wrote 2 years 27 weeks ago

from ec_nick wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from wp wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from Jeff Bowers wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

But the pile of BBQ I ate the day I got back from the middle east? MMMmmmmmm.

from dtownley wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago