Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Why Register?
Signing up could earn you gear (click here to learn how)! It also keeps offensive content off our site.

Rifles

30:06 or 7mm

Uploaded on December 04, 2009

which is better

Top Rated
All Replies
from BigBboy25 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Uh a little vague don't ya think?

0 Good Comment? | | Report
from FETTY wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

i would take a.30/06 cause that was my first gun i got

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from dangerous game wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

a 7mm magnum is a much better gun it shoots flater and hits harder.

from Buck wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

I agree, more than a little vague. You don't say what your hunting, where, or anything about yourself. Most important in choosing a rifle/cartridge. Are you talking about the great old 7x57, one of the 7mm magnums, or what... I have written a great deal on my site about rifles/cartridges, but I have no opinion without more information... Buck@score-your-hunting.com

from shane wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Shoots flatter? Just a little. Hits harder? Sometimes, but barely. For the amount of powder, noise, expense, and kick you get, you gain very little in performance. 7 Rem. Mag. is one of the most overrated cartridges I can think of.

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from metsfan6734@yah... wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

7mm is more of a long range gun, the 30-06 has a bigger bullet though.

from wlewisiii wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

7x57mm was what I chose this year after much consideration. A good all arounder that won't overwhelm my wife or son if they need to use my Mauser either.

from TNhunter wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

7mm does shoot a little flatter, but the 30-06 generally has a little more weight and energy. The 30-06 comes with a veriety of grains to vary from 150 up to 220, i don't think the 7mm goes over 150. Little difference tho shot placement is most important and its mostly personal preference.

from BigBboy25 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

You can get 160, 168, 175, and 180 grain bullets for a 7mm. Some guys use a 200 grain bullet out of their 7mm for extremely long range shooting. It was designed specifically for the 7mm AM which is a .338 Lapua case necked down to 7mm.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report

The 200 grainer is a 'wildcat' proprietary bullet of course, not made by any major bullet manufacture.

.338 Lapua necked down to 7mm? Oh mother. That must be a real laser. What's the BC on that 200 grain slug? It's already a good number on the 175 grainer. Wow.

Does AM stand for Annihilation Madness? Ailg Masher? Aircraft Missile? Asinine Magnum?

Does anyone know what an Ailg is? Give ya a nickel...

from JW7MM-08 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

I own both a 30-06 and a 7mm-08. I have owned 7mm rem mags too, they all have there place in the deer woods in my opinion. But, I have to say my all time favorite is my Remington model 7 in 7mm-08 with a vari-x III 2.5-8. I couldnt ask for a better all around rifle.

Shane it is blistering when it leaves the 30" barrel of a 7mm AM! lol I'm not exactly sure what the AM stands for to be honest. But the BC of that 200 grain bullet is a touch over .900. Not too shabby eh?

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

dangerous game

WRONG AND A -1 FOR YOU!

For 4 solid years in Alaska, I've watched a many 7mm Rem Mags and 30-06's shooting side by side take Caribou and Moose. I say without any dought hands down the 30-06 stomps the 7mm Remington Magnum! You take a bullet at a given velocity out of the 7mm Rem Mag, I acn push a bigger bullet just as fast. you push a 175 at 2800 fps, I can push a 190 just as fast. GO FIGURE!

+4 Good Comment? | | Report

For open country, this is where the 7mm Rem Mag shooting 120 to 162's really does a super fine job! And yes, I came very close in replacing my 25-06 last year with a 7mm Rem Mag, so it's no punk!

.900? Good grief! What happens when it gets to 1.000? It just keeps going forever?

The 750 Grain .50 Cal. A-max has a BC that is over 1.000.... but .900 is pretty good, remember that is on the G1 BC scale, bullet manufactures will be switching to the G7 BC soon I think, which will lower most BC's significantly. BUt It is much more accurate than the G1 BC.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Ailg is a moose.

Just my 2 cents worth here.

Is the 7mm Rem Mag "better" than the .30-06? Absolutely NOT!

Does it have a place in hunting big game? Absolutely!

In my opinion, the .30-06 is probably the best all around caliber for big game hunting, period. However, I like the 7mm magnum for open country deer and elk hunting just because it has slightly better long range performance with bullets with a high BC. Not much better, but a little better at long range. That said, I don't care for the 7mm magnum as a woods rifle. That chore is better suited to one of the .30's.

Anything a 7mm Remington Magnum can do, the 7mm Weatherby Magnum does better! But not cheaper.... Remington copied the Weatherby about 20 years later and introduced it with the new Model 700, but did not improve it. They just marketed it better and made it cheaper to sell. A huge success for Big Green. I have seen enough bang-flops on big elk and deer with 7mm Weatherby's and Remington mags to know what I'm talking about.

But I'll never give up my '06 either! A trusted friend indeed.

+5 Good Comment? | | Report

Nice answer. Correctomundo. +1.

I agree that if you want a real performance boost the Weatherby is where it's at. Now that's a real Magnum. You don't get a lot out of the 7Rem compared to what you pay, feel, hear, and have to pour into it.

from Big O wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

I like the 06 "better" for LOTS of reasons.
MORE- ammo choices(55gr/220gr)
places to buy it(Big stores/"mom and pop" joints
BIGGER HOLES(to me).

+3 Good Comment? | | Report
from jwallen wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Why do so many people get tied up in discussions like this? The real difference between the two is not worth worrying about. More emphasis should be placed on the operator and qualities of the rifle than the caliber when the two are so similar. When I go to the gun safe to select a rifle for a certain trip I look for the one most suited to what I expect to need. Looking through my notes the caliber most used on successful trips is the 7mm-08 followed by .270 Win, 30-30, 30-06, 7mm Rem. mag, 25-06, .338 Win mag, .243 Win, .458 Win mag, with a jumble of oddballs taking up the rear. That said I own more rifles in 30-06 than all the others. I know the 180 grain trajectories by heart without having to have it written on the stock. It is easier to reload (for me) than the others as I have spent more time on load development with it. It is the caliber that I practice with most often and there are no surprises with bullet performance. If it is a casual hunt close to home I grab a peep sighted 1903 Springfield sporter that was custom built to fit me. With two stripper clips of ammo I'll be hunting before the screen door latches. I think JW7MM-08 is on the mark.

from shane wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Two words, jwallen - GUN NUTS.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Big O

Correction Sir,

55gr to 250 grain.

If you handload for the 30-06 130's loaded at the velocity of the 223 I've found works fantastic for Yodel Dogs and Mule Deer!

from Koel wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

7mm! it's more ballistic coefficient then the 06. and it's just better. period.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

The 30/06 would be my choice. Good bullet selection, good ballistics.

Koel, better check the BC's on the heavy 30 caliber slugs....

from .30cal fan wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

30-06 its been around for more than 100 years and was the first cartarge to take every north american big game animal

from Remmagman wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

The 7mm. mag. in my expiriences has much less recoil and barrel jump and is much flatter shooting due to its thinner neck size but recoil and barrel jump will differ among guns but the 7mm is an ideal long range mid- size big game caliber in shots 300 yards and out. When shooting a 7mm, WEAR EAR PROTECTION. The The 30-06 is almost quiet compared to a 7mm discharge. On the other hand the 30-06 to me has more recoil but has a bit more knock- down power and is great for 100- 300 yard shots with a regular hunting rifle and scope. You can't really go wrong with either caliber as I have made clean kills with both.

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Unfortuantly, I say this with bias due to a demon of a 700 bdl, But my 7mm rem mag 770 has outdone the 700 30-06 in almost all categories for myself. My 7mm shoots more accuratly, leaves bigger holes, and goes farther.

and this isnt a bash on the 700. ( I own a .243 one and have used a .270 and .308 as well with great results)

from duckdog07 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

If I had to dispatch a homicidal robust ground squirrel I would use a 7mm after the chore was completed and I could go hunting I'd take a 30.06

Post a Reply

Just my 2 cents worth here.

Is the 7mm Rem Mag "better" than the .30-06? Absolutely NOT!

Does it have a place in hunting big game? Absolutely!

In my opinion, the .30-06 is probably the best all around caliber for big game hunting, period. However, I like the 7mm magnum for open country deer and elk hunting just because it has slightly better long range performance with bullets with a high BC. Not much better, but a little better at long range. That said, I don't care for the 7mm magnum as a woods rifle. That chore is better suited to one of the .30's.

Anything a 7mm Remington Magnum can do, the 7mm Weatherby Magnum does better! But not cheaper.... Remington copied the Weatherby about 20 years later and introduced it with the new Model 700, but did not improve it. They just marketed it better and made it cheaper to sell. A huge success for Big Green. I have seen enough bang-flops on big elk and deer with 7mm Weatherby's and Remington mags to know what I'm talking about.

But I'll never give up my '06 either! A trusted friend indeed.

+5 Good Comment? | | Report

For 4 solid years in Alaska, I've watched a many 7mm Rem Mags and 30-06's shooting side by side take Caribou and Moose. I say without any dought hands down the 30-06 stomps the 7mm Remington Magnum! You take a bullet at a given velocity out of the 7mm Rem Mag, I acn push a bigger bullet just as fast. you push a 175 at 2800 fps, I can push a 190 just as fast. GO FIGURE!

+4 Good Comment? | | Report
from Big O wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

I like the 06 "better" for LOTS of reasons.
places to buy it(Big stores/"mom and pop" joints
BIGGER HOLES(to me).

+3 Good Comment? | | Report

Shoots flatter? Just a little. Hits harder? Sometimes, but barely. For the amount of powder, noise, expense, and kick you get, you gain very little in performance. 7 Rem. Mag. is one of the most overrated cartridges I can think of.

from TNhunter wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

7mm does shoot a little flatter, but the 30-06 generally has a little more weight and energy. The 30-06 comes with a veriety of grains to vary from 150 up to 220, i don't think the 7mm goes over 150. Little difference tho shot placement is most important and its mostly personal preference.

from FETTY wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

i would take a.30/06 cause that was my first gun i got

from Buck wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

I agree, more than a little vague. You don't say what your hunting, where, or anything about yourself. Most important in choosing a rifle/cartridge. Are you talking about the great old 7x57, one of the 7mm magnums, or what... I have written a great deal on my site about rifles/cartridges, but I have no opinion without more information... Buck@score-your-hunting.com

from wlewisiii wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

7x57mm was what I chose this year after much consideration. A good all arounder that won't overwhelm my wife or son if they need to use my Mauser either.

from JW7MM-08 wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

I own both a 30-06 and a 7mm-08. I have owned 7mm rem mags too, they all have there place in the deer woods in my opinion. But, I have to say my all time favorite is my Remington model 7 in 7mm-08 with a vari-x III 2.5-8. I couldnt ask for a better all around rifle.

The 750 Grain .50 Cal. A-max has a BC that is over 1.000.... but .900 is pretty good, remember that is on the G1 BC scale, bullet manufactures will be switching to the G7 BC soon I think, which will lower most BC's significantly. BUt It is much more accurate than the G1 BC.

Ailg is a moose.

Nice answer. Correctomundo. +1.

I agree that if you want a real performance boost the Weatherby is where it's at. Now that's a real Magnum. You don't get a lot out of the 7Rem compared to what you pay, feel, hear, and have to pour into it.

from Beekeeper wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

The 30/06 would be my choice. Good bullet selection, good ballistics.

Koel, better check the BC's on the heavy 30 caliber slugs....

from BigBboy25 wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Uh a little vague don't ya think?

from dangerous game wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

a 7mm magnum is a much better gun it shoots flater and hits harder.

from metsfan6734@yah... wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

7mm is more of a long range gun, the 30-06 has a bigger bullet though.

The 200 grainer is a 'wildcat' proprietary bullet of course, not made by any major bullet manufacture.

.338 Lapua necked down to 7mm? Oh mother. That must be a real laser. What's the BC on that 200 grain slug? It's already a good number on the 175 grainer. Wow.

Does AM stand for Annihilation Madness? Ailg Masher? Aircraft Missile? Asinine Magnum?

Does anyone know what an Ailg is? Give ya a nickel...

Shane it is blistering when it leaves the 30" barrel of a 7mm AM! lol I'm not exactly sure what the AM stands for to be honest. But the BC of that 200 grain bullet is a touch over .900. Not too shabby eh?

dangerous game

WRONG AND A -1 FOR YOU!

For open country, this is where the 7mm Rem Mag shooting 120 to 162's really does a super fine job! And yes, I came very close in replacing my 25-06 last year with a 7mm Rem Mag, so it's no punk!

.900? Good grief! What happens when it gets to 1.000? It just keeps going forever?

from jwallen wrote 4 years 18 weeks ago

Why do so many people get tied up in discussions like this? The real difference between the two is not worth worrying about. More emphasis should be placed on the operator and qualities of the rifle than the caliber when the two are so similar. When I go to the gun safe to select a rifle for a certain trip I look for the one most suited to what I expect to need. Looking through my notes the caliber most used on successful trips is the 7mm-08 followed by .270 Win, 30-30, 30-06, 7mm Rem. mag, 25-06, .338 Win mag, .243 Win, .458 Win mag, with a jumble of oddballs taking up the rear. That said I own more rifles in 30-06 than all the others. I know the 180 grain trajectories by heart without having to have it written on the stock. It is easier to reload (for me) than the others as I have spent more time on load development with it. It is the caliber that I practice with most often and there are no surprises with bullet performance. If it is a casual hunt close to home I grab a peep sighted 1903 Springfield sporter that was custom built to fit me. With two stripper clips of ammo I'll be hunting before the screen door latches. I think JW7MM-08 is on the mark.

from shane wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Two words, jwallen - GUN NUTS.

from Clay Cooper wrote 4 years 17 weeks ago

Big O

Correction Sir,

55gr to 250 grain.

If you handload for the 30-06 130's loaded at the velocity of the 223 I've found works fantastic for Yodel Dogs and Mule Deer!

from Koel wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

7mm! it's more ballistic coefficient then the 06. and it's just better. period.

from .30cal fan wrote 4 years 15 weeks ago

30-06 its been around for more than 100 years and was the first cartarge to take every north american big game animal

from Remmagman wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

The 7mm. mag. in my expiriences has much less recoil and barrel jump and is much flatter shooting due to its thinner neck size but recoil and barrel jump will differ among guns but the 7mm is an ideal long range mid- size big game caliber in shots 300 yards and out. When shooting a 7mm, WEAR EAR PROTECTION. The The 30-06 is almost quiet compared to a 7mm discharge. On the other hand the 30-06 to me has more recoil but has a bit more knock- down power and is great for 100- 300 yard shots with a regular hunting rifle and scope. You can't really go wrong with either caliber as I have made clean kills with both.

Unfortuantly, I say this with bias due to a demon of a 700 bdl, But my 7mm rem mag 770 has outdone the 700 30-06 in almost all categories for myself. My 7mm shoots more accuratly, leaves bigger holes, and goes farther.

and this isnt a bash on the 700. ( I own a .243 one and have used a .270 and .308 as well with great results)

from duckdog07 wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

If I had to dispatch a homicidal robust ground squirrel I would use a 7mm after the chore was completed and I could go hunting I'd take a 30.06

You can get 160, 168, 175, and 180 grain bullets for a 7mm. Some guys use a 200 grain bullet out of their 7mm for extremely long range shooting. It was designed specifically for the 7mm AM which is a .338 Lapua case necked down to 7mm.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report

Post a Reply