Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Why Register?
Signing up could earn you gear (click here to learn how)! It also keeps offensive content off our site.

Big Game Hunting

270WSM....for moose?

Uploaded on June 10, 2009

Would a 270WSM with 150gr Winch XP-3 get the job done on moose under 200yds? Your comments?

Top Rated
All Replies
from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Well, my hunting buddy's son has killed 3 elk that I have personally seen with one shot from his .270 WSM A-Bolt at ranges of 150 to 300+ yards. To clarify, I saw the elk down with one entry wound and helped recover and hang. He uses a rangefinder and would never lie about the range.

Those were some big Colorado bulls, so I'd say the .270 WSM is certainly adequate for moose if it cleanly takes down big elk.

0 Good Comment? | | Report
from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Well, my Canadian buddies really get a kick out American hunters and big game animal rifles!
They are VERY PRACTICAL when it comes to hunting; which many use the .303 British with amazing success on wolf to Moose!
Most have the .308 in one form or another, and likewise the 30/06, but many also carry the .270 for the availability of lighter bullets/lesser recoil. With the added power of the .270WSM, I'm with WAM on this one. Using the proper bullet this should take a Moose quite nicely.

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from shane wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Sure, but I'd go bigger if you could. Elk are much bigger than deer and moose are much bigger than elk.

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

The .270 will work with the bullet in the right spot but like Shane said I personally would use a larger caliber just in case old Bullwinkle decides to not stop with one round from the .270. Not absolutely necessary but I know a .338 of any kind will drop them almost immediately with the right bullet in the boiler room.

Agreed boys; Bigger and heavier will give a better edge here for taking Moose. If one is not a BIGGER IS BETTER mentality gun hunter, then getting a big bore will not necessarily solve the problem. There is no shame in favoring the .30 and below calibers because of recoil issues...or just practical financial reasons. I know caliber versatility is a matter of opinion, but a .338win is a serious caliber in anyone's book and other then elk and moose as a steady diet it's alotta gun to tote and shoot for most hunters.
Me...I prefer .30 and bigger to take most anything and may get the .340 wthby next@just cause it's attitude!

+2 Good Comment? | | Report
from steve182 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

as long as you double lung him

from bearman wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

I have taken 2 black bear, 2 mule deer, and one elk with the 270WSM. None went more than 30 yards. Great cartridge. Would use 160 grain partitions for moose or the 150 grain oryx. Place the shot where it belongs. Impressive caliber. Has become my favorite go to rifle. However, If I were hunting moose I would use my 338-06 with 225 partitions.

from Aktanker wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I have hunted and taken a lot of big game and a 270 Wsm is a bit on the small side for moose. With proper shot placement it can certainly put a bull down but hunting does not always provide the perfect shot. I would strongly recommend at least a 30 caliber weapon in case you hit the moose's shoulder or ribs. You want to make sure you have a heavy enough round to break the shoulder, something like a 190 grain or larger nosler partition works extremely well.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Aktanker...Hey man,
Does your blog handle have military or civilian influence to it?
I agree with you, as I have written in on this topic; I prefer .30 caliber and larger for most of my hunting.
Bigger gets it done better, but always know your weapon and personal limits when hunting.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I have shot thirteen elk and six moose. Some of them were very big boys. My experience is that .270 is too light. I have found that my 30.06 is in fact almost too light. Moose have much thicker hides (much thicker!) and heavier bones than elk. A high speed lighter bullet will come apart too much going through the heavier hide, especially higher up on the body. Also, longer, narrow bullets (e.g. .270 and 7mm Mag) may tend to tumble when they hit something firm. I have also found that 165 gr 30.06 is too light to do a good job on even deer. Made a mess and poor at knocking em down. I'll stick with 190 or 200 gr boat tail 30.06 for moose or elk. I hunt on foot and often am in the bush hiking seventeen hours a day. Rarely do I get a shot exceeding eighty yards. I'm not inclined to be carrying around some shoulder-busting hefty bazooka if it's not necessary. My favorite gun is a 1952 760 Remington pump 30.06 with detachable 4X Weaver scope. Light weight, comfortable to shoot, versitile, and reliable.

from LeVan Goodey wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Interesting comment about the 165 gr 30-06 being too light for deer. The three elk that I have shot with the 165 gr Sierra boat tail all ended up in the freezer.

+3 Good Comment? | | Report
from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Hmmm... All the Remington 760, 7600 slide action rifles that I have shot kicked like a rented mule.

from Carney wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

On the one hand the 270 could be plenty of gun if the shooter has plenty ability to hit the kill zone and the bullet doesn't disintegrate. On the other, Moose are BIG -- why not get the extra edge and nail it with a bigger hammer? (45-70 of course!)

from Koel wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

Yes defiantly. I'm a proud owner of a 270 WSM. I reload all my shells with 150 grain bullets and i have taken down SEVERAL elk with one shot at over 400 yards. This round would be deadly for moose as long as you have good a good shot placement.

-
Justin

Yes defiantly. I'm a proud owner of a 270 WSM. I reload all my shells with 150 grain bullets and i have taken down SEVERAL elk with one shot at over 400 yards. This round would be deadly for moose as long as you have a good shot placement.

-
Justin

from Cgull wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I think the 270 WSm with the 150 or better, placed in the boiler room will work just fine, so does Winchester.

The new XP3® bullet starts with a 2-stage expansion design, then combines all the best-known bullet technology into one bullet. It delivers precision accuracy, awesome knockdown power, and deep penetration all in one package -- and it's as effective on thin-skinned game, like deer and antelope, as it is on tough game, like elk, moose, bear, and African animals, at short and long ranges. The XP3® is the closest thing to a perfect hunting bullet you can buy!

http://www.winchester.com/Products/rifle-ammunition/supreme-elite/xp3/Pa...

Post a Reply

from LeVan Goodey wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Interesting comment about the 165 gr 30-06 being too light for deer. The three elk that I have shot with the 165 gr Sierra boat tail all ended up in the freezer.

+3 Good Comment? | | Report

Agreed boys; Bigger and heavier will give a better edge here for taking Moose. If one is not a BIGGER IS BETTER mentality gun hunter, then getting a big bore will not necessarily solve the problem. There is no shame in favoring the .30 and below calibers because of recoil issues...or just practical financial reasons. I know caliber versatility is a matter of opinion, but a .338win is a serious caliber in anyone's book and other then elk and moose as a steady diet it's alotta gun to tote and shoot for most hunters.
Me...I prefer .30 and bigger to take most anything and may get the .340 wthby next@just cause it's attitude!

from Aktanker wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I have hunted and taken a lot of big game and a 270 Wsm is a bit on the small side for moose. With proper shot placement it can certainly put a bull down but hunting does not always provide the perfect shot. I would strongly recommend at least a 30 caliber weapon in case you hit the moose's shoulder or ribs. You want to make sure you have a heavy enough round to break the shoulder, something like a 190 grain or larger nosler partition works extremely well.

from Carney wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

On the one hand the 270 could be plenty of gun if the shooter has plenty ability to hit the kill zone and the bullet doesn't disintegrate. On the other, Moose are BIG -- why not get the extra edge and nail it with a bigger hammer? (45-70 of course!)

Well, my Canadian buddies really get a kick out American hunters and big game animal rifles!
They are VERY PRACTICAL when it comes to hunting; which many use the .303 British with amazing success on wolf to Moose!
Most have the .308 in one form or another, and likewise the 30/06, but many also carry the .270 for the availability of lighter bullets/lesser recoil. With the added power of the .270WSM, I'm with WAM on this one. Using the proper bullet this should take a Moose quite nicely.

from shane wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

Sure, but I'd go bigger if you could. Elk are much bigger than deer and moose are much bigger than elk.

from ishawooa wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

The .270 will work with the bullet in the right spot but like Shane said I personally would use a larger caliber just in case old Bullwinkle decides to not stop with one round from the .270. Not absolutely necessary but I know a .338 of any kind will drop them almost immediately with the right bullet in the boiler room.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 43 weeks ago

as long as you double lung him

from bearman wrote 4 years 25 weeks ago

I have taken 2 black bear, 2 mule deer, and one elk with the 270WSM. None went more than 30 yards. Great cartridge. Would use 160 grain partitions for moose or the 150 grain oryx. Place the shot where it belongs. Impressive caliber. Has become my favorite go to rifle. However, If I were hunting moose I would use my 338-06 with 225 partitions.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Aktanker...Hey man,
Does your blog handle have military or civilian influence to it?
I agree with you, as I have written in on this topic; I prefer .30 caliber and larger for most of my hunting.
Bigger gets it done better, but always know your weapon and personal limits when hunting.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

I have shot thirteen elk and six moose. Some of them were very big boys. My experience is that .270 is too light. I have found that my 30.06 is in fact almost too light. Moose have much thicker hides (much thicker!) and heavier bones than elk. A high speed lighter bullet will come apart too much going through the heavier hide, especially higher up on the body. Also, longer, narrow bullets (e.g. .270 and 7mm Mag) may tend to tumble when they hit something firm. I have also found that 165 gr 30.06 is too light to do a good job on even deer. Made a mess and poor at knocking em down. I'll stick with 190 or 200 gr boat tail 30.06 for moose or elk. I hunt on foot and often am in the bush hiking seventeen hours a day. Rarely do I get a shot exceeding eighty yards. I'm not inclined to be carrying around some shoulder-busting hefty bazooka if it's not necessary. My favorite gun is a 1952 760 Remington pump 30.06 with detachable 4X Weaver scope. Light weight, comfortable to shoot, versitile, and reliable.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 19 weeks ago

Hmmm... All the Remington 760, 7600 slide action rifles that I have shot kicked like a rented mule.

Yes defiantly. I'm a proud owner of a 270 WSM. I reload all my shells with 150 grain bullets and i have taken down SEVERAL elk with one shot at over 400 yards. This round would be deadly for moose as long as you have good a good shot placement.

-
Justin

Yes defiantly. I'm a proud owner of a 270 WSM. I reload all my shells with 150 grain bullets and i have taken down SEVERAL elk with one shot at over 400 yards. This round would be deadly for moose as long as you have a good shot placement.

-
Justin

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 4 years 44 weeks ago

Well, my hunting buddy's son has killed 3 elk that I have personally seen with one shot from his .270 WSM A-Bolt at ranges of 150 to 300+ yards. To clarify, I saw the elk down with one entry wound and helped recover and hang. He uses a rangefinder and would never lie about the range.

Those were some big Colorado bulls, so I'd say the .270 WSM is certainly adequate for moose if it cleanly takes down big elk.

from Cgull wrote 4 years 16 weeks ago

I think the 270 WSm with the 150 or better, placed in the boiler room will work just fine, so does Winchester.

The new XP3® bullet starts with a 2-stage expansion design, then combines all the best-known bullet technology into one bullet. It delivers precision accuracy, awesome knockdown power, and deep penetration all in one package -- and it's as effective on thin-skinned game, like deer and antelope, as it is on tough game, like elk, moose, bear, and African animals, at short and long ranges. The XP3® is the closest thing to a perfect hunting bullet you can buy!

http://www.winchester.com/Products/rifle-ammunition/supreme-elite/xp3/Pa...

Post a Reply

bmxbiz-fs