Please Sign In

Please enter a valid username and password
» Not a member? Take a moment to register
» Forgot Username or Password

Why Register?
Signing up could earn you gear (click here to learn how)! It also keeps offensive content off our site.

Deer Hunting

$150 or less binocular recommendations? Need help from hunters

Uploaded on October 29, 2009

Hey everyone, I am looking for a decent pair of binoculars for $150 or less. I had a pair of 10x42 Leupold Cascades, that were nice. . . but got stolen out of my truck. Even though they were nice, I don't want to spend another $250 to $300 on optics, and was hoping to find a decent pair for $150 or less. I was looking at the Simmons Master Series 8x42. . . . does anyone know anything about these or have any experience with Simmons optics? Any recommendations I will take, thanks. . . happy hunting.

Top Rated
All Replies
from badger22 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I have a pair of Nikon Sportstar 10x25 They are small light weight. They work great sitting in a treestand. I carry them around my neck long distances and hardly notice them at all. They come with a nice carrying case. They were $100 to $120 I couldn't ask for a better pair.

+1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Big O wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

D^%$ THIEVES !
That being said, I had to get me a new pair myself and I kind of like my Bushnell 10x42's. I thing they were around $100.00, get your self a bino-buddy to go with your "new" pair. They help alot.

from thuroy wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I believe Bushnell exursion are right in that price range. They work quite well, but if you truly need good binoculars spend the money.

from amos wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I have a pair of Nikon Action 10X50 6.5 that are nice, the only thing is, there quite large, and kinda heavy..

sorry, forgot the price there right at $100 and you might find some under that..

from victorytw228 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

Leupold Greenring mesa are on sale at cabelas in Buda right now for 150. Its hard to beat a leupold on optics. I had a pair of the nikon action and after looking through them and my brother leupolds in the am, i traided my nikons in for leupold. Great low light visability.

from shane wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

You cannot possibly beat these with any binoculars under $250 -

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0049169712869a.shtml

from Cgull wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

My 10x42 bushnell excursions are great at twilight and cost 250. The smallest hunting binoculars I would use would be 8x40. The bushnell trophys are great binoculars for around 150

from sgaredneck wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Shane - those sound really interesting. What did you get to compare them to, if you don't mind my asking?

from Iowabowhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Perma Focus...Bushnell. Have had mine for years. They really are great!! I have the 10 x 50 AUTO FOCUS.

http://www.telescopes.com/binoculars/bird-watching-binoculars/bushnell10...

Found them online for @ 60$$.

You won't believe how good these things are.

from shane wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Well Nikon Monarchs are almost as good in resolution, but they are $250 plus. Anything lesser I've tried doesn't compare. I haven't done much for direct side by side comparison, but have looked through a lot of glass from old top of the line Swifts to middle of the road Nikons and Leopolds, even the latest Zeiss, Leicas and Swarovskis. These compare shockingly favorably to the crowd. They have good features. The eyecups screw up, stay up, and don't come off. They've been soaked, as well as taken from room temperature to below freezing and back with no problems. They are very bright, barely less bright than the primo models ($800-2000), and the resolution isn't quite as good as those, but better than most everything else. The contrast and colors are just as good. They are as good as you'll ever need for hunting or even birding. After all, you don't have to be able to count hairs, just points. If you haven't had good binoculars before and just buy the usual $50-150, these will blow you away. I would say that you have to spend close to $400 to do as well.

Shane,
Thanks - I will check 'em out.

S GA

Post a Reply

from badger22 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I have a pair of Nikon Sportstar 10x25 They are small light weight. They work great sitting in a treestand. I carry them around my neck long distances and hardly notice them at all. They come with a nice carrying case. They were $100 to $120 I couldn't ask for a better pair.

from Big O wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

D^%$ THIEVES !
That being said, I had to get me a new pair myself and I kind of like my Bushnell 10x42's. I thing they were around $100.00, get your self a bino-buddy to go with your "new" pair. They help alot.

from thuroy wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

I believe Bushnell exursion are right in that price range. They work quite well, but if you truly need good binoculars spend the money.

I have a pair of Nikon Action 10X50 6.5 that are nice, the only thing is, there quite large, and kinda heavy..

sorry, forgot the price there right at $100 and you might find some under that..

from victorytw228 wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

Leupold Greenring mesa are on sale at cabelas in Buda right now for 150. Its hard to beat a leupold on optics. I had a pair of the nikon action and after looking through them and my brother leupolds in the am, i traided my nikons in for leupold. Great low light visability.

from shane wrote 4 years 24 weeks ago

You cannot possibly beat these with any binoculars under $250 -

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0049169712869a.shtml

from Cgull wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

My 10x42 bushnell excursions are great at twilight and cost 250. The smallest hunting binoculars I would use would be 8x40. The bushnell trophys are great binoculars for around 150

Shane - those sound really interesting. What did you get to compare them to, if you don't mind my asking?

from Iowabowhunter wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Perma Focus...Bushnell. Have had mine for years. They really are great!! I have the 10 x 50 AUTO FOCUS.

http://www.telescopes.com/binoculars/bird-watching-binoculars/bushnell10...

Found them online for @ 60$$.

You won't believe how good these things are.

from shane wrote 4 years 23 weeks ago

Well Nikon Monarchs are almost as good in resolution, but they are $250 plus. Anything lesser I've tried doesn't compare. I haven't done much for direct side by side comparison, but have looked through a lot of glass from old top of the line Swifts to middle of the road Nikons and Leopolds, even the latest Zeiss, Leicas and Swarovskis. These compare shockingly favorably to the crowd. They have good features. The eyecups screw up, stay up, and don't come off. They've been soaked, as well as taken from room temperature to below freezing and back with no problems. They are very bright, barely less bright than the primo models ($800-2000), and the resolution isn't quite as good as those, but better than most everything else. The contrast and colors are just as good. They are as good as you'll ever need for hunting or even birding. After all, you don't have to be able to count hairs, just points. If you haven't had good binoculars before and just buy the usual $50-150, these will blow you away. I would say that you have to spend close to $400 to do as well.

Shane,
Thanks - I will check 'em out.

S GA

Post a Reply

bmxbiz-fs