Waiting Game: Kansas Hunter Takes His Time and Kills a 17-Point Buck

Jeremiah Bunch of Scandia, Kan., had a feeling that the 4 ½-year-old whitetail he first spotted in 2011 had the potential to be a truly special buck, so he let it walk—not once but a half-dozen times over the course of two deer seasons. This year his patience paid off when he killed the Sunflower State giant after the formerly symmetrical 4-by-4 sprouted a gnarly, 17-point non-typical rack that gross-scored a whopping 215 inches.

When Bunch first passed on the buck—which he called Big 8—he estimated it measured 140 inches. He found the deer's right shed near his stand and later came into possession of its left antler after friends found it while turkey hunting. In 2012, the 180-class 8-pointer led a charmed life. "He was kind of stupid, running around on the road in broad daylight," Bunch says. "My brother had him at 20 yards but shot over his back. He walked under my stand about five times, but I wanted my brother to have the opportunity if he wanted it. And I'd always wanted to let a buck grow to 6 ½, just to see what he'd do."

After the season, Bunch again recovered a shed, finding the left antler in almost the exact same spot he'd found it the year before. The right shed remained unrecovered until this fall, when a neighbor gave Bunch the antler a couple of weeks after he shot the buck.

On Oct. 27, Bunch arrived at his stand around 2 p.m. "I had a good feeling about the night," he says. "I bumped a couple of does when I got in, saw a couple of little bucks running around." He'd started getting trail camera photos of Big 8 in June and July, and in mid-October the buck—now a much bigger non-typical—crossed the road in front of Bunch at night. "It was like he was teasing me, saying 'I'm right here. Come and get me.'"

Now as Bunch waited for dusk to approach, a massive fight erupted in the timber behind him. "It was like nothing I've ever heard," he says. "You could tell two monster bucks were locked up and just going at it." A few minutes later, Bunch got a look at one of the battlers when a 170-class 8-pointer walked into the field. After that buck moved on, the 17-pointer stepped out behind a hay bale and Bunch reached for his bow.

"The adrenaline was pumping and my heart was pounding," he recalls. "He stood there a while to make it hard on me. He finally gave me a broadside angle at 24 yards, and I drew back. He started walking away and I wasn't sure I could stop him without scaring him, so I grunted real soft and thankfully he stopped."

Unsure exactly where he'd hit the deer, Bunch sat in his stand for more than two hours, steadying his nerves and replaying the scene in his head. "With all the emotion of watching that deer for that many years and then it all happens so quickly, I had to sit a while and rethink everything. It seemed like an eternity."

But a good blood trail made tracking short work, and Bunch soon had his trophy in hand. What he found was worth the wait.

"Seeing him laying there, how big he was and all the work of three years that went into it and having all my friends and family there when I found him, it was something," Bunch says. "It felt like a huge accomplishment. There were a few tears. When you get a reward like that, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, there's gonna be a few tears of joy."

from Blowfly basher wrote 19 weeks 5 hours ago

Wow, this is quite a story, saw the buck in 2011, missed it, decided to allow it to live and get used to you and you say until the antlers were big enough for you. You then sat in a hide, spotlighted it and shot it. Afterwards you sat there for 2 hours, I presume too scared to venture out in case it might retaliate and uncaring of whether it was in pain or not. Even in the artificial world of hunter-heros, only the most loathsome shooters do that kind of thing. Two hours or so later you found its carcase by following its blood because even hiding away and spotlighting you couldn't shoot an instant kill.You wept for joy at the great victory...there really is nothing as brave, so worthy or public adulation as spotlighting a blinded animal that has been allowed to trust humans.

The death of its innocence...see it and kill it...don't worry about the fact that it is worth a hundred of you any day of the week and it tries by its very nature to live in harmony with our world.

It doesn't suffer from blood-lust. It doesn't line up blind men or women to attack. It doesn't have a firearm....unlike Crocodile Dundee's Kangaroo...with which to retaliate to a killer in hiding behind a 2300 or more ft/sec projectile. It wasn't even wearing a turban. Reading this joy at murder I am beginning to understand the joy some types got from crucifying Jesus.

On the other hand, at least you didn't have your 12 year old daughter shoot it as a public demonstration of child abuse. For me. it's another type of "mocking bird killed"...what harm did it ever do you?...it just beautified the bush with its presence and grew to be a protector of his little herd. The photos show how beautiful the animal and the bush was....The only thing ugly out there was you, and the photograpic record of the travesty gives that permanence.

Why don't you become a real man and just stick to the photography, then all can enjoy the beauty of the animal, its size, its antlers, its colour,fitness,vivacity, and your restraint. The animal could live and grow and care for its family, the things beautiful creatures do in their bushveldt. A male who kills for pleasure or to wear a new mask, never becomes a man.

-21 Good Comment? | | Report
from VAWhiteTailHunt... wrote 19 weeks 4 hours ago

Blowfly...why don't you just go blow a fly, you worthless troll. If you don't like hunting, then STHU and go to one of your liberal tree-hugger, nanny state loving websites where all you blowflies can sit around and bash everyone who doesn't agree with you. Stay off our website if you don't agree with hunting and fishing. You certainly won't find any of us wasting our time reviewing the content of your liberal hogwash websites. Do you get bonus points for trolling non-libtard websites ??

from Giog2366 wrote 19 weeks 1 hour ago

As a hunter and fisherman, I would like to commend and congratulate Mr. Bunch on a beautiful buck. Secondly, I wanted to say that there rarely comes a time that someone posts a comment that pushes me to a point where I feel I need to give my two cents. Blowfly, this is a site dedicated to outdoor enthusiasts who hunt and fish. This is what we do. It is our life. It is our passion. For you to bash Bunch or anyone on this site is completely off the mark. The animal harvested lived a great life and just as God intended, it was harvested to feed the mouths of friends and family. The horns are secondary and a huge bonus. As a person who strives to support conservation, I suggest you really look at the big picture here and keep your ignorant comments to yourself. Just like VAWhitetail said, we don't review and judge on your post, we'd like the same on return. I think I speak for ALL my brothers and sisters who support what field and stream is all about. Kudos to F & S and mr. Bunch on a wonderful story!

from hawk872 wrote 19 weeks 1 hour ago

Great Deer! Nice to hear there's some still a hunter out there that can see the bigger picture on conservation. Good things come to those who wait.

from Nick Riquinha wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

Hey blowfly, take another look you self absorbed puke.. if you actually read the article and looked at the pictures you would have known that the animal was taken with a bow,and that the hunter was not hiding behind a spot light and using a gun..why dont you take your liberal anti hunting views back to where ever clowns like you hang out...the holier an thou liberal attitude is a joke,especially when you are obviously not intelligent enough to read and understand the words in this article..

from Nick Riquinha wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

from bigdaddyme wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

Hey I don't agree with blowfly either and I very rarely put in a comment but to group all liberals with him is not fair to us liberals that do hunt and fish and believe in the 2nd amendment. My 79-year-old dad and I are both liberals own many weapons and hunt and fish as often as we can. Although dad has slowed up on the hunting as he got older. I think Bunch did a great job of hunting and shot a great trophy dear and will have a lot of great deer steaks too.

from Kcsrider wrote 18 weeks 6 days ago

Hey Bunch, nice Buck! The self restraint it takes to resist taking a lesser buck is to be admired. You let the herd mature and culled an older animal. Blowfly is poorly educated on the ways of the woods and the value you, and those like you bring to the outdoors. Speaking for myself and my hunting grandsons, thank you for your ethics, skills and prowess in the field! While it isn't likely, maybe Blowfly will mature and learn to appreciate what we do.

from Slogan1111 wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

Is Blowfly for real? If he or she is, it doesn't even warrant a response. Geezzz, 3 minutes of my life wasted in that above reading... By the way, congrats on an awesome deer, the work put into it was tremendous and well worth the patience and time.

from utahboy wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

whew what a buck that's a wall hanger
ignore blowfish he/she is a environmentalist what do you expect they're against hunting
way to go that's a trophy of a life time
i wouldn't have that kind of patience
hunting forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from utahboy wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

whew what a buck that's a wall hanger
way to go that's a trophy of a life time
i wouldn't have that kind of patience
hunting forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from utahboy wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

nice buck that's the biggest white tail ive ever seen and i don't really know about white tail except for the coues. I only am a expert with mulees
but please ignore blow fish
I want to say environmentalist need to mind their own business they are sorry beings. Environmentalist how did the settlers get tier meat and food HUNTING!!!!!!!!!!

from utahboy wrote 18 weeks 4 days ago

what a beautiful buck i want to congratulate home and hope he harvests more big bucks on that property

from PJ wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

Wow this man did his homework! This is a well deserved kill, congrats! Hope to see you at the Monster Buck Classic We Are Kansas.

from Bowditch15505 wrote 18 weeks 1 day ago

Ignorance is found in any extreme. I know many environmentalists who hunt and fish precisely because they are "tree-hugging -libtards." Please be careful about equating a deep concern for our wild places with an anti-hunting or anti-sportsman stance. It seems to me hunting and environmentalism should go hand-in-hand. Congratulations on that buck, Mr. Bunch.

from VAWhiteTailHunt... wrote 19 weeks 4 hours ago