Bourjaily: You Saw It Here First

The Gun Nuts

January 29, 2009

Bourjaily: You Saw It Here First

By Phil Bourjaily

First Blood

It’s not often you get to see something brand new in the world of shotguns, but here’s a new one on me: it’s a delayed roller-action, fully ambidextrous 3 1/ 2 inch semi-auto. The gentleman with the stogie and the greenhead  is inventor, Jeff Hajjar of SRM, maker of the Sure-Cycle spring kits and Terror Chokes. The gun in his hand is his own invention and the only one of its kind . . . so far. Actually, this is the hunting version of the SRM 1216 a tactical gun Hajjar showed at last year’s SHOT. This new gun is unnamed for now.

Yes, that is the cocking handle you see in the forearm. Don’t worry about your fingers -- it only moves when you use it to open the bolt manually. The handle reverses easily for left-handed shooters, and you can switch the gun from right to left-side eject, too. Remove one pin in the receiver, and the whole thing breaks open like an AR-15  for cleaning or for carrying safely around the clays course.

Hajjar says the delayed roller action is similar to that of an MP-5 and promises it will be reliable with anything from one-ounce target loads to 3.5-inch magnums. This gun, with a walnut stock and a 26-inch barrel, has an alloy receiver and weighs about 7 1/ 4 pounds. Hajjar hopes to be in production next year. Who knows exactly when we’ll see this gun in the field, but remember, you saw it here first.

First Blood

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

It has the lines of a Browning Automatic Rifle, military version of course. Lots of square corners...

from Douglas wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Great Scott! A replacement for my worn old Browning A-5?? How much should I start saving per month to acquire this great looking gem?

from jjas wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

You gotta admire the American spirit of invention and I wish Mr. Hajjar all the luck in the world with it.

Very cool.

Jim

from jim in nc wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

That choke on the muzzle of this gun reminds me of a question, albeit a little off subject: is there an optimum choke for hunting deer with buckshot? I sort of presume it'd be full, but I've always wondered. thanks for helping me out.

from peter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

nice, it looks and sounds like a perfect shotgun.

from focusfront wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Mil-Tec trickles down to the field; that's the way it's always been. It's high time a left-handed goose gun makes it to the market.

from philbourjaily wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Jim in NC: In my guns, a Modified choke produces the best buckshot patterns. The biggest difference in patterning, though, is between the good stuff like Remington Premier and Federal Flitecontrol and the cheap buckshot loads. If your guns are like mine, you'll get much better results if you spend more for the good stuff.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Jim in NC,

Patternmaster makes an extended choke tube that is specifically for large size shot. I use one for goose hunting with T and BBB shot for goose. I haven't tried buckshot in it but understand it works great.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Personally I don't find it attractive at all. It's looks big and bulky. Alloy must really lighten it up cause it looks heavy. He's gonna need to pretty it up.

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Quite a collection of interesting and proven ideas. The rear of the receiver also resembles one of the Brownings of a couple decades ago, the B-2000 or something similiar. Weight appears to be substancial which is not a bad thing for a goose or duck guns with 3 1/2 inchers. I suppose there will be some sort of satin blue or camo coating available for the metal. I wish him much luck in selling this product but it does smack of costing more than the average hunter is willing or can afford to pay.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

on line editors,
How long is it going to take for things to post on all these blogs? Right now there's 10 comments but only 6 showing. Recent comments from me and Del in KS are displayed but not posted. ??? Thsi isn't the only site.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

That thing looks a little bit like my friend Billie's old Ithaca 10 ga magnum. Big, bulky and probably expensive to produce.

from Wags wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I have to agree with jjas......I think it is cool that an individual uses a little enginuity and some sweat to come up with a better mousetrap. I hope it hits big.

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

There is definately some sort of delay in posting plus I am programming my GPS so I can navigate around this whole site. I keep getting lost such as thinking I am responding about a .458 Lott for buff and then notice I am on the brim fishing useing crickets for bait page.

from herbie57_57 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Jim you're right but yours actually posted finally. This gun is kind of ugly right now we'll see what it looks like when its released later. It has to be cheaper than ordering a left handed benelli.

from sarg wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Someone once made an Automatic Pistol using a simular action, But I can't remember just who., I'd like to try one out.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Jim in NC

Del in KS recommended a Patternmaster extended range choke for large shot. They are great!

I use one in my 870 3 1/2 mag for geese. Briley also makes a Goose Getter and Extended Range choke, also great for long shots in pass shooting. Be advised that the Patternmaster and other choke tubes with internal tabs or quasi-rifling work extremely poorly with Federal Flight Control wads. PM's strip the wad by slowing it down as it exits. Flight Control and others have little fins/tabs on the wad itself to do the same function. Patternmaster makes a special choke designed for Federal Flight Control wads and the Black Cloud shells.

A Pterodactyl could fly unscathed through the lousy pattern my Patternmaster produces with Black Cloud loads. Therefore I don't buy Black Cloud anymore.

from Zermoid wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Sarg,
Was it the Heckler & Koch P9 you were thinking of?

A quick Camo paint job and that baby is ready for sale! Is that a SS barrel or is it also some kind of alloy?
I too would really like to see a price on it, is it gonna be cheap, reasonable, expensive or OH MY GOD!

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

WA Mtnhunter,

Glad you mentioned that. I use a Comp'n tube for Turkey and it is awesome with Rem heavy shot. Not so good with the new Federal wadd. I've read that the Fed load works best with less constriction. This year going back to Remington heavy. Heck I shot one gobbler dead at 64 lazered yd with #6 Rem heavy shot and the Comp'n choke tube. Would not have fired if I had realized it was so far but he flopped at the shot.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Del in KS

My son has a Comp' N Choke in his turkey gun and it delivers great patterns. I have a Carlson's XFull ported choke tube in my 26" barreled 870 3 1/2 inch Super Mag . It is ported similarly to the Comp'N. It delivers rifle-like patterns up close and tight turkey-killin' patterns out to 60 yards, which is as far as I have patterned it.

I think if I buy a tube for my 3" autoloader, it will be a Comp'N Choke.

I have about half of two boxes of older Federal 3 1/2 load #5's that do not have the new Flight Control wads. I patterned them and shot 2 turkeys with them and have enough shells for several more seasons, particulary since I am a lousy turkey hunter and won't recreationally shoot those hard kicking turkey loads!

LOL

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

I hope to hear (or read) more of this as time passes. We can look forward to production models and test reports. There is ALWAYS room in the rack for great equipment!

from Love2Hunt wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Looks like a fun gun.

from Clay Cooper wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Call it an “Ugly Duckling” but I bet it will revolutionize the firearms manufacturers on the way they think! My 11-87 I was shocked to see how cheap it was when I gave the first cleaning before firing it. Cannot shoot 2 ¾ without buying a special kit and paying that much for it you would think it would be included!!!

Coop’s bottom line?
I’ll take functionality over looks any day!!

from sarg wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Zermoid, I believe it was the H&K, wander if they ever caught on?

from sarg wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Did you guys notice how long the action is from the Pistol grip to the Ejection port.. That would be a long reaction or a lot of parts in there.

from jerry k wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

now we dont have to through the pain and horror of putting 3.5 magnums through our pump guns. kudos

from 16gapheasantphiend wrote 5 years 5 weeks ago

I like it, looks mean, kinda like my Saiga-12, but that box mag can get in the way but lets see what happens, alloy usually = $$$$$$$

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Jim in NC,

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from sarg wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Sarg,
Was it the Heckler & Koch P9 you were thinking of?

from Love2Hunt wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Looks like a fun gun.

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from peter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

nice, it looks and sounds like a perfect shotgun.

from focusfront wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Wags wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from herbie57_57 wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Del in KS

I think if I buy a tube for my 3" autoloader, it will be a Comp'N Choke.

LOL

from Edward J. Palumbo wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Coop’s bottom line?
I’ll take functionality over looks any day!!

from sarg wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago

Zermoid, I believe it was the H&K, wander if they ever caught on?

from sarg wrote 5 years 11 weeks ago