Bourjaily: .177-Caliber Parenting

The Gun Nuts

February 24, 2009

Bourjaily: .177-Caliber Parenting

By Phil Bourjaily

When we lived in the country, I kept an air rifle around the house for mouse control. Strangely, it never once occurred to me that I could also use it dispense .177 caliber reminders to my son to stop blocking my view of the TV screen. Unlike this guy.

The father faces one felony count of child abuse, a charge carrying a maximum penalty of 6 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. Let’s suppose he’s found guilty and you’re the judge. What’s the appropriate sentence?

from YooperJack wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

What do you get a dad like that for Father's Day? As mad as I got at my kids when they were small, that type of response never crossed my mind. Apparently there's lots of people thatshould never have kids.
YooperJack

from horseman308 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

It always amazes me that if we want to adopt a pet from the pound or animal shelter, we have to prove that we are able to take the right care of it, but not to have kids. Cynical as it may sound, I wonder some days if we shouldn't have to pass some kind test to procreate.

from focusfront wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

The whole point of discipline, even corporal punishment, is to teach, not inflict injuries. There is no way this guy can say he wasn't trying to hurt the kid, even if he knew that the BB wouldn't break the kid's skin; the whole point of shooting a BB or bullet is to hurt something, be it only a tin can or a paper target. When I was nine, I pointed a BB gun at my eight year old brother, and my dad caught me; that was the last time I held a gun in my hands for about five years. And at that I think I got off easy.

I wouldn't lock the guy up for six years, but I would give him something more than a fine, that's for sure. We try to drum gun safety into people and then yo-yos like this guy make the news.

from herbie57_57 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I don't know focusfront this guy was already arrested for child abuse, I don't think 6 years is long enough especially for a repeat offender.

from s-kfry wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

"The father was charged with child abuse in 2005 and was put into the Deferred Prosecution program, which he successfully completed."

Appears that the program was not successful after all. I have to agree with FOCUSFRONT above, I am all for corporal punishment when appropriate but this was not for the sake of correction, it was to inflict pain because the guy was lazy and didn't want to positively and proactively address his child. Maybe not 6 years jail time but I would have this guy picking up trash on the side of the road every Saturday for the next 6 years as part of probation.

from Snood Dewlap wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I noticed the reporter pointed out the bb gun looked like a "mock up of a M-16 assault weapon". Is this pertinent? If it had been a Red Rider commemorative with a concho attached to the stock would that have been noted also?

from Clay Cooper wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

As judge, he would face the firing squad from the local Cub Scouts.

With the maximum rounds at will…… FIRE!!!!!!

Coops bottom line:

Individuals think that a 177 isn’t fast enough to cause real harm. How wrong can they be, not only this Pseudo Father is teaching his Son it’s ok to shoot and/or inflict harm to another. I must say this is deadly serious and criminal intent here. Hit an eye or penetrate through the skin into an artery is serious and can be instantly fatal.

If I was the Judge?

MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL; I’D THROW THE BOOK AT HIM!!!

from jjas wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I don't know if 6 years is appropriate, but it's obvious that "dad" doesn't get it. I wish the article had gone into detail concerning the previous child abuse charge.

Regardless, some time in jail, probation, a fine, and some much needed anger mangement and parenting classes will hopefull set this genius down the road to being a parent and quit being an abusive jackass.

Jim

from steve182 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

This guy is obviously a lousy dad, and shooting his kid is criminal, even with a .177 bb or pellet. I just read about a man fataly shooting his wife with one, accidently, while trying to kill a squirrel.
I don't know what this jerk's sentence should be, but he shouldn't be having more kids. I don't believe i want to hunt with this guy either, or his kids. What a shame

from buckstopper wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Pellet guns at close range are not a toy. A couple of years ago in Alabama, a 10 year old kid was shot in the chest with a pellet gun and died. He told his friend it was ok to shoot because he was wearing an "Under Armor" t-shirt.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

All these violent child abusers need to be removed from the gene pool, either by sterilization or incarceration (or both). They always repeat.

from finnyk wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

In my line of work we see this all too often. It seems we, as a society, have become numb and desensitized to the dangers we face or put others into. I thought that this was a prime case for parenting classes, etc. - until I saw that he had 'successfully' completed a course. This kid should not be placed back in that home. 'Daddy' needs to spend some time in the gray bar hotel and pay a big fine. Too bad shaming isn't allowed anymore.

from Walt Smith wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I agree with Clay, a cub scout firing squad sounds about right. Rule #1 He can only wear boxer shorts. Rule #2 the kids shoot one at a time. Rule #3 If it's a ten pump bb gun the get to pump to 15.

from Mark-1 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

It's tough to come to a reasonable conclusion with such little information...and then have it only in the form of a newspaper blurb.

I find it odd a repeat offender charged with a felony was released [ROR]. There's something more to this file/case.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

When I stood in front of the tv grandma would tell me I must be drinking muddy water.

from silsbyj wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Lock him up for the maximum time and let his kid shoot him in the back of the head with bb gun every day until he gets tired of it, then let someone else do it.

from Sportsman Matt wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

As a loving parent and proud law abiding gun owner, I feel that this fellow is what the antigunners wanted. The problem is that the guy did nothing to help anyone, actually became an unsafe person, abused his kid, and unfortunately will probably get a fine and visitation with his kid once a week. And the Antigun Lobby will paste him as the typical gun owner and twist it to make it look like all of the law abiding gun owners are the same. It's things like this that disgust me, as a parent and a law abiding gun owner.

from JCB wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

A good sound beating would be appropriate. One that leaves him sterile.

from Bella wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

6 years and 10 grand (with castration) sounds about right. Letting the Cub scouts have target practice sounds just but gives the wrong idea to the kids. The kids are the most important persons on earth. We shall pass away but they have to carry on (and produce the next generation). Now I am aware that there are lots of self important folks out there who think they are Gods gift to the world, but they are delusionary, A little baby who can't even talk yet is more important to the future than any pot bellied banker or politician. Of course the fact that our system hates to fund anything that benifits children (especially poor ones) because the pols and corporate guys handle the funds and delude themselves that the next 5 or 10 years they have wealth and power makes them more important than the tiny tots who will inherit everything. And they budget accordingly.
As far as .177 caliber being harmless, how about those .17 hmr cartriges, same caliber. It all depends on velocity and mass. But I stand by my original thought, And man who would do that to his own kid don't need to make any more. Castrate him!

from Timberline wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I remember when i was little and stood in front of the tv my Grandfather would beller "You make a better door than you do a window!" This jerk would not have wanted to meet my Grandfather.

from streack wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

This would be a good case to start using castration as a method of sentencing.

from Carney wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

When we were kids we had bb gun fights in the neighborhood. It was mostly running away hoping you could stay out of range -- not everybody had bb guns...

I agree with the rest of you guys that the guy is stupid on his best day. But he proves the adage = "better find out what pulls Dad's trigger and stay away from it!"

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I'm an "eye for an eye" kind of guy. I say this guys rear end should look like a pin cushion at the end of the day.

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Our son, THE KID, that I often speak of is adopted. My wife and I got him when he was a day old. Maybe you don't have to prove anything to produce your own children but when Catholic Social Services got finished with my wife and me we felt like we had been checked over by the KGB and FBI combined. They looked at our school and work history, our health records, our criminal records (there were and are none), ROTC and military service, hobbies, walked through our home, and on and on. Three years later my wife and I were voted Adoptive Parents of the Year in this state. The kid is now 18 and about to graduate from highschool. Its very disheartening to know that next year he will be in college somewhere. Of course this is nothing like losing a child to death or disappearance but it still brings a note of sadness to realize that he will not be with me on every camping, hunting, shooting, and fishing trip. He's got to pursue his life but its tough letting go. Our natural daughter gave us constant trouble before she finally grew up but thank God the kid turned out fantastic. I just can't afford all the guns and hunting trips he wants. Yep he's spoiled but that's my fault and I enjoyed spoiling him. Kid's a hell of a shot.

from T.W. Davidson wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

All . . .

Pellet rifles and BB guns at close range can certainly be as lethal and dangerous as a .22 or any other small caliber weapon. Unfortunately, I know this personally.

When I was a sophomore in high school--this was several decades ago--a "buddy" of mine from my cross-country team--which itself was also a lawless gang--shot me in the *ss with my own Benjamin .177 air rifle. Range was about 35 yards, although I was running and zigzagging at top speed at the time. The pellet was a Crossman pure lead "wadcutter." My intoxicated "buddy" claimed to have only pumped up the rifle to maybe 3 or 4 pumps, but I'm positive he lied through his teeth and had (gleefully) pumped up to its max of 10 pumps, or probably many more. Muzzle velocity at 10 pumps was likely around 750-800 fps, according to what my chronograph tells me about this very same air rifle some thirty-two years later, and a little slower.

I remember all this with vivid clarity because:(A) the pellet wound hurt like burning, flaming, f*cking hell; (B) my stepfather personally dug the pellet out of my *ss with his (hastily boiled and sterilized) Buck pocketknife--an experience, btw, I don't recommend to anyone; (C) the pellet penetrated the left rear pocket of my jeans, then my shorts, then about 3/4 of an inch straight into the left cheek of my *ss; and (D) for several weeks thereafter my life was pretty miserable because:

(1) my stepfather, a veteran of D-day at Normandy, 2nd wave, The Big Red One, was enraged and affronted that I had been stupid enough and slow enough to get shot; ("Boy, haven't I taught you anything in your young, dumb life?!?! Dammit, you're wastin' smart peoples' air!!!")--An exact quote from my stepfather, circa 1977. He passed away a few years ago.)

(2) I hurt a lot and gimped around a lot;

(3) it's really hard to admit to anyone, particularly a potential or actual girlfriend, that you've been so stupid and nitwitted and slow as to get shot in the *ss with your own rifle; and

(4) although I was very angry at my "buddy" (and I did exact my revenge later on, I assure you), I was more concerned that my stepfather would eliminate my "buddy" in some terribly painful fashion, then eliminate anyone who objected to this, thus leaving a trail of bodies all over the county in which we lived. (Fortunately, my mother and my family and I got my stepfather calmed down enough so that my "buddy" survived the incident.)

If that .177 Crossman pellet had hit me in the back of the neck, I wouldn't be here to write these words. Same thing if the pellet had hit me in the back of the head. Likely the same result if the pellet had penetrated my rib cage, missed a rib, and hit my heart or a lung. Although my stepfather never forgave me for being so negligent and slow and stupid as to get shot in the first place, he did eventually admit that I had at least been very lucky about where the pellet hit me.

And he was right.

I was.

TWD

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

T.W. is absolutely right about pellet guns. I use a Gamo break action and it has put the lights out on several large coons and various rabbits, etc.

BTW, Jim in mo, Sag, Clay and anyone that might like to look. Just finished posting more pics of my ARMY days in Alaska and other places. Click my name, then click on view photos.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Sorry that's Sarg.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

This guy needs some serious anger management classes, and a physc evaluation as well.
Punishment, for him, should include public service and some jail time; a FINE will serve to only punish the family in my opinion. I love my children, and cannot understand what was this guy was thinking by shooting his son in the butt!!??

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Great story TW, there are numerous lessons to be learned in those few paragraphs not to mention the humor although I am certain that the latter was missing during the time of the occurance. I almost feel like I know your stepfather as he reminds me of several tough old WW II vets of my youth who constantly scared me including my dad. Mr. Thorn down the street had to buckle on his legs every morning, had deep holes from wounds in one arm
and blue powder burns on his face all of which he received in Italy. One look from him and your axx was set straight. Looking back he was one of the greatest men I have ever known.
My observation from working at the same hospital for 22 years is that most shootings around here involve previous consumption of alcohol. The majority are .22 LR or .25 ACP from a small pistol. Generally neither the shooter and shootee have much knowledge of handgun safety, and of course its absoultely amazing how many were "cleaning their gun" when the self inflicted shot came. How many of you load you pistol prior to cleaning?

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Well, I'm not going to give you the obligatory indignant response... surprise! A dime sized welt? Have you ever been shot with a paint ball gun? How about these air soft guns that are everywhere? Not only do my children and I regularly indulge in such decadent behaviour but I am always the one with the multiple softball sized bruises. I just really don't see felony being attached to something like this when I was regularly kicked out of the way of the TV with pointy cowboy boots. What's the world coming to?

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

When dad said jump you jumped... now you call the cops.

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

There are 1600 fps high powered air rifles and there are Red Ryders... we had fights with the Daisy 350 fps guns all the time when I was a kid and we stopped when someone came up with the CO2's at about 500 fps. They broke the skin and that's a lot different from a dime sized welt. Some common sense please.

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

1, its an airsoft gun, they don't make BB (Pellet) guns that look like an M 16

2, what an A$$, someone should start a firing squad so he knows what it feels like.

3, they won't do that much damage, its an airsoft gun made for playing games (Simulations) like capture the flag, Its mainly just a more realistic version of paintball, but it hurts less.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Dr. Ralgh,

I'm with you. My dad left much bigger marks than that on me with a belt.

Alex,

Congratulations on your 5th star. I see on your profile you have 230+ gear reviews.

Wow, You have been busy. How do you do that. I don't have any reviews.

from freeparking wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Just wouldn't listen.....

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Last fall when a friend got back from Mexico he told me that one of the ranch hands shot a doe near the ear with some sort of pellet rifle. She dropped, kicked, and was dinner. He did not notice what brand the rifle was or what type of pellet was used. The ranch hand told him that was how they acquired their venison without bothering the bucks for which hunters paid money.

from T.W. Davidson wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Ishawooa, and All . . .

My stepfather was a genuine tough guy, the real deal, no B.S., pure hard leather, the scariest, quickest, most lethal man I ever knew. (And I've known many.) Among the words my brother and I dreaded to hear most--and we heard them many times--during the years we lived on a rural farm were, "Boy, go get me the .270." This was not an order we could debate, negate, or argue about. Ever. There was no choice but to obey, and the order always meant that something was about to die, even if it was 700 or 800 yards away. It didn't matter what "it" was, or how far away it was; what did matter was that my brother and I knew "it" was already finished the moment our stepfather called for his rifle.

That's the way he was well into his late 70s, until old injuries, cancer, and a very hard life lived by his wits, his back, his hands, and his skills finally caught up with him.

He's gone now, died a few years back at the age of 86. But my brother and I remember him--and his indomitable, steel-iron fierceness--as if we were kids again on the farm only yesterday.

I miss him.

TWD

My younger brother and I were terrified of him all the way into our college days, although we both eventually and individually stood our ground against our stepfather at one point or another when he pushed too hard, was too fierce, or was simply wrong. Those occasions where we individually stood our ground rank as among the most frightening of experiences I've had in all my life, and I've had plenty.

from Shaky wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Airsoft,Red Ryder, Benjamen,Paint ball it makes no difference, I'd say nut him first, and then give him the max.

from elmer f. wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

wow. i have made some mistakes with my kids, every parent does. but shooting them!?!? i would never consider that! i am trying to teach my kids to be safe with guns! well, i agree the guy should be charged and convicted with something. but a felony seems kind of harsh.i think 90 days in jail (not prison) and a nice big fat fine would be in order. something to remind "pops" that the next time he is going to disipline a child, that there can be consequenses to his actions! it sounds like "pops" has anger issues, and maybe a part of his sentance should be getting help with that also. and a good reminder by the judge that if this ever happens again, he will be going to prison (not jail), for a long time.

from hunt_fish_sleep wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I have never seen or heard of an M16 mock-up pellet rifle, I have, however, heard of M16 mock-up airsoft guns. As usual the media failed to do due diligence and specify. I assure you that this was an airsoft gun, which fires plastic pellets. Oh wow a little welt. Get over it. When the old man says to get out of the way, don't refuse. My dad shoots me with airsoft guns all the time, so I have no pity for this nine year old baby.

from blueridge wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Phil..
We will constantly find POOR, poor parenting in our free nation...but this particular focus on this terrible act does the gun owner no good. Let's talk about shotguns...or rifles...not about this horrible, stupid act of a parent. Please....

from fatguy wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

As a firearms instructor I'm all for SAFTEY. The guy obviously had his body enguaged before his brain. As for punishment; judge not lest you be judged, Let he who has no sin cast the first stone!!!

from blueridge wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Fatguy is right, in that this is not a firearm issue, but a criminal and attitudinal consideration. There are no perfect parents, and the caliber with one shoots one child is not all that relevant---it's wrong.

We who love guns should also love children...and ethical treatment of those future shooters. This damages our arguments for the second amendment, when yo yo's do things like this.

from 60256 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

I believe that parents should be able to like spank their or slap them, but that takes it way too far.

Nate

from okduckhunter wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

What a jerk. Instead of sitting on his rear watching television, he should have had the boy in the outdoors spending quality time with him, or teaching him to shoot the air rifle. Too many times folks sit around on the tv or internet getting fatter and dumber instead of teaching their kids to be great people with great skills. We keep my sons air rifle locked up in the gun safe with "dads guns" and it only comes out under my supervision. I wouldn't even think about pointing it at him, let alone shooting it at him. The punishment should fit the crime. Tie up the dad, put a tv in front of him tuned to his least favorite show, and let the boy repeatedly shoot him in the buttocks as the dad says, "thank you sir may I have another?"

from LutherMartin1517 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Alex Pernice the fly rod winner says: "1, its an airsoft gun, they don't make BB (Pellet) guns that look like an M 16" he is mistaken, I had a BB/pellet gun in .177 cal when I was a kid that was made to look like an M16 and it was quite powerfull for a BB gun.

I had a friend who was shot in the forhead with a BB gun and it went into his sinus cavity. When the doctor drilled to get it out he accidently drilled into his brain. Fortunately he only suffered minor memory loss. BB guns are not a joke and it is very foolish of someone to shoot another person with one (except in self defense, though it would not be too effective).

from Bella wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

I would maintain my severe judgement with regard to a father using a projectile weapon to enforce his petty whims on his son. I grant there is a world of difference between a Red Ryder bb gun (I had one too) a Crossman .177 pump air gun, my dads co2 "ice water" pistol (bb caliber)a .22 pump air rifle, Airsoft and .68 paintball guns. Paintball markers in 6mm or .68 are made to shoot at your friends, although they leave proportional welts. I do .68 paintball myself, but I wouldn't use it for discipline purposes. Boundaries! I wouldn't want to be hit (again) by any caliber of metallic projectile! I've had to seek cover more'n once in my life and I may again, preferably for paintball which is good fun and good training besides. It teaches movement and fast targeting as well as other skills. I prefer .68 because it hurts more and you really know when you get hit, but it is for fun not punishment. We never hit our daughter even once, me and my hubbie were both raised rather abusively and were bound and determined to raise her without fear of us and without using violence. Yeah she has some extra metal in nonstandard parts of her anatomy but that is just fashion. She is grown up and works hard, picked out a good guy herself and is being given responsibility at her place of employ. She turned out ok and we didn't need to brutalize her to do it. Shoot with your kids not at them!

from CPT BRAD wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

I believe you guys have hit it but I will have to add my two cents. This guy is an IDIOT, he has played into the Antis hands, and he should go to jail. I don't think that it will help the guy in the least because he will inevitibly come out a bigger piece of #&(# than when he went in. I say we bring back the public whippings and try about 30-40 stripes on his @$$ and if he lays a hand on that kid after than then repeat.
Sorry I'm a little harsh today, no coffee

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Right On, Bella! Four stars to you!

from jamesti wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

they do make bb/pellet rifles in replica m16 and others. this guy will get off easy and we will be stereo-typed by the antis giving them more fuel for the fire. anyone want to take this guy hunting besides me?

from Clay Cooper wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

“By the age of six the average child will have completed the basic American education.... From television, the child will have learned how to pick a lock, commit a fairly elaborate bank holdup, prevent wetness all day long, get the laundry twice as white, and kill people with a variety of sophisticated armaments.”
-Russell Baker, “School vs. Education”

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Thanks Del, you can just go into the Gear section and there are lists there.

from wingshooter54 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

The father should be put in jail where the tattooed muscle bound weight lifters can play soapdrop with him.

And no, the reporter would not have commented on the BB gun if it had not looked like an assault rifle. He should be sentenced to reading the Code of Ethics of the Society of Professional Journalists for two hours each day for 6 months.

from Zermoid wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Perhaps I'm nuts but if this guy had an airsoft gun as has been claimed by several here then I don't see a problem, those things are made to play wargames with, as long as you wear eye protection (which isn't an issue when shooting someone in the butt) they leave no lasting damage. We too used bb guns for playing war when I was growing up, I had a Daisy lever action and a pump one I don't remember the make of, they hurt like hell but did no real harm. And we never had eye protection either.
Sounds like over reacting BS to me, airsofts are toys, pure and simple. What the hell is next? Send people to jail for shooting someone with a nerf gun? Get real people, he was playing around with one of the kid's toys and if this kid's brother had done it instead of the dad there would not have been any problems.

from Zermoid wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

And one more comment, even if it was a bb gun they vary greatly, I bought one once that wouldn't penetrate the paper target that came with it! Shoot it 20 yds and you could see it lobing thru the air.

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

For what its worth the Gamo advertisement on Outdoor Channel shows guys killing among other animals a pretty fair sized hog. Sure looks impressive.
CPT BRAD regarding the public lashings, my wife often says that its a good thing that I am not a judge otherwise the limbs on the cottonwood trees down by the creek would be worn out from public hangings. She adds that I would probably reuse the rope to save taxpayers' money. After 38 years I think that woman has figured me out.

from pindizzy wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

I shot my brother in the ass with a B-B when he wasn't looking because of some mean trick the little bastard played on me. I was about 12 and he was a couple of years younger. Of course he ran into the house, howling and sobbing, working on the Academy award he expected to get, and he damn sure got it. My Dad came flying out of the house and took the hide off my butt with his belt to the point I could hardly breathe. He was a real stickler for gun safety, and he flogged me raw - I don't mean maybe. I tried to wriggle out of his grip to avoid the worst of it to no avail, but that just made him madder and he really bore down on me. All this time my brother was laughing out the window at me. I had to wear long-sleeved shirts to school for two weeks to hide the weals. I guarantee I never did anything that stupid again for a long while. I would suggest that this idiot be given an old-time whuppin' by my Dad, if only he were still on earth to deliver it. Hell, I'd even take it myself if only it woiuld bring my old man alive once again. Dad sure taught me a lot about life. And he never needed a pellet gun to do it. His belt worked just fine.

from T.W. Davidson wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

All . . .

At one point in my early teenage years on the farm, I acquired a brand new Benjamin Air Rifle and my younger brother acquired my hand-me-down Daisy lever-action BB-gun. My stepfather, who wisely knew my brother and I would hunt and shoot each other out in the woods no matter what he told us, enacted several strict rules:

(1) He made me sign a statement, an actual sworn oath, that I would never pump up my air rifle more than 3 pumps during any kind of war game against my brother. Proposed Punishment if my brother ever came back from a fight with a pellet in his hide was that I would have to accompany my stepfather and brother out into the woods, dig my own grave, and throw myself into it.

(2) All shots were mandatory below-the-belt; no crotch shots permitted.

(3) My stepfather bought us clear thick plastic safety goggles--we looked like mongoloid freaks from a zombie movie when we wore them--and told us that if he ever caught us fighting each other without our goggles on, he'd come looking for us out in the woods with his 12-gauge and a shovel and introduce us to a brand new kind of war game.

We believed him.

Gun Nut Note: My brother's Daisy lever-action had a huge tactical advantage over my 3-pump-limited Benjamin. His Daisy could carry several hundred BBs in its magazine, and putting another round in the chamber (so to speak) was merely a quick throw of the lever action, which my brother could do while on the run, hunting me. I, on the other hand, was limited to one shot at a time, plus a slow walking-only noisy reload to put a pellet in the chamber, followed by a maximum of three loud, noisy (and slow) pumps on the rifle before it would shoot with any kind of power at all. I always felt like I was an 18th century Revolutionary War muzzleloader soldier fighting a 19th century Battle of the Little Big Horn Spencer-equipped Indian. The first several "wars" out in the woods between my brother and myself over a period of several months were complete slaughters, and I, despite being stronger, faster, older--and presumably smarter--was always the (sore) loser.

But my brother was deaf in his left ear from a flying accident. And I had observed over time (while hiding from my brother and his machinegun-like Daisy) that although my brother could semi-accurately determine which direction a sound or noise came from out in the woods, he had no depth perception as to how far away (or how close) a sound or noise actually was. I eventually developed techniques to use his weakness to my advantage. One of them was that I would deliberately taunt and tease my brother using a very quiet voice--"Hey little girl!!!"--which he would think was much farther away than I really was, or much closer than I really was. Then, while he was angrily circling to get to where he thought he could ambush me, I'd wait for him to pass by, or I'd sneak up behind him, then I'd shoot him in the *ss and run like hell while he cursed and slapped at the pellet sting. There was no slack on our farm; my brother and I were very hard on each other.

Several decades later, my brother and I are alive and well. I think this, more than anything else, is because we never failed to obey our stepfather's "Big Three Rules."

TWD

from jamesti wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

airsoft or bb gun, the kid had a pretty good welt. airsoft doesn't do that. punishment is a learning tool not a weapon. you want to hurt someone go out on the street and choose an adult and take your chances.

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Airsoft does do that... what they are calling soft are actually 6mm plastic round balls that hurt worse than the Daisy's my friends and I shot each other with. They lose velocity extremely fast though, unlike BB's. A paintball gun will rock your world. First time I went to a paintball war I had no idea what was going on and took a shot right in the forehead that knocked me on my a$$. If you are warring with people you don't know there will be some idiot that has frozen the paintballs and when they hit you you will immediately quit the game forever. I'd still take a shot from a paintball gun than a kick in the butt from an angry father with pointy cowboy boots.

from HillbillyDeluxe wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

If I knew the guy, he'd be meeting my .45 in a heartbeat.

from ETangler wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

I tell you what he should get for father's day....No visitation rights, child support until he's 21, and let the kid exact his own style of punishment. The judge should ask the child what he thinks he should recieve for shooting him. And then let the child be the one to deliver the punishment. He should be shot in the ass on the front door step of the courthouse at 9 a.m., pants down, townspeople present with cameras and the local papers!!!!

from PointPhilip wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

I say they should line him up and see how he like's being shot by a gun that is more his size

from alozzi wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

i think he should get the fine and more than six years in prison that is terrible.

from t_holinka wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

I like the idea to have people take a test to procreate.

from jersey pig wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

you mean you can't do that?

just when you think you've seen or heard it all, some ass comes along and proves you wrong. appropriate punishment, shoot him in the tenders with the pellet gun a few times. then hang him by the same organ.

from moosewhacker wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

Maybe the guy should be shot with a 500 fps pellet every day for the rest of his pathetic existence. but i havent had the years of training to qualify me to make those kinds of decisions and maybe its better that way.

from wingnut wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

good thing i'm not a judge

from JayAquino wrote 3 years 9 weeks ago

A good friend of mine used to be punished like that. Now every-time he sees a gun he has a mini-freak out. He instantly views guns as a torture device. If you want you're kid to respect and even use guns right, than don't use them a punishment, that's what leads firearm mis-conception and worse.

from herbie57_57 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from T.W. Davidson wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

All . . .

(2) I hurt a lot and gimped around a lot;

And he was right.

I was.

TWD

from horseman308 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Bella wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

As judge, he would face the firing squad from the local Cub Scouts.

With the maximum rounds at will…… FIRE!!!!!!

Coops bottom line:

If I was the Judge?

MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL; I’D THROW THE BOOK AT HIM!!!

from Bella wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from t_holinka wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

I like the idea to have people take a test to procreate.

from Snood Dewlap wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Dr. Ralgh,

I'm with you. My dad left much bigger marks than that on me with a belt.

Alex,

Wow, You have been busy. How do you do that. I don't have any reviews.

from Shaky wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from okduckhunter wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

-Russell Baker, “School vs. Education”

from ETangler wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Mark-1 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from silsbyj wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Sportsman Matt wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from JCB wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

A good sound beating would be appropriate. One that leaves him sterile.

from Timberline wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from streack wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

This would be a good case to start using castration as a method of sentencing.

from Carney wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Sorry that's Sarg.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

When dad said jump you jumped... now you call the cops.

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from 60256 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Nate

from LutherMartin1517 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from CPT BRAD wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Sorry I'm a little harsh today, no coffee

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Right On, Bella! Four stars to you!

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Thanks Del, you can just go into the Gear section and there are lists there.

from wingshooter54 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from Zermoid wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from pindizzy wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from T.W. Davidson wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

All . . .

(2) All shots were mandatory below-the-belt; no crotch shots permitted.

We believed him.

TWD

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from HillbillyDeluxe wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

If I knew the guy, he'd be meeting my .45 in a heartbeat.

from PointPhilip wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from alozzi wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from jersey pig wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

you mean you can't do that?

from moosewhacker wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago