Petzal: A Rifle With Feck*

The Gun Nuts

April 06, 2009

Petzal: A Rifle With Feck*

By David E. Petzal

A couple of posts ago I wrote about a feckless* .30/06 that would not shoot consistently, and how I sent it on down the road because there are rifles out there that do have feck* and why should I aggravate myself at this late date? Sure enough, along comes the Shaw Mark VII, and it has enough feck* for any three rifles.

E.R. Shaw is a 95-year-old barrel making company in Bridgeville, PA, that has begun turning out its own custom rifles using slicked up Savage bolt actions, its own barrels, and synthetic, walnut, and laminated stocks. And no, they do not cost $14,000. They start at $650. I will say that again: They start at $650. The one I have goes for $800 $950 or so. You can choose from four barrel types, two types of steel, four finishes, four actions, four stocks, right- or left-hand, multiple barrel lengths and contours, SAAMI or match chambers, 80 calibers from .17 Remington to .458 Lott, and you can dicker with them about such things as barrel length. Altogether there are more than 75,000 possible combinations.

My rifle is a left-hand .30/06 with a 23-inch No. 1 ½ contour stainless barrel, cut with Shaw’s patented helical fluting. It has a tan laminated stock, and the trigger is set to 3 pounds even. It is not light; with a Bushnell Elite 4200 it weighs 8 ½ pounds, but this is what I wanted.

Most important, it shoots. The overall average for 14 3-shot groups (five kinds of ammo) is 1. 012-inch. With ammo it doesn’t like it shoots 1.3-inch. With ammo it does like it stays under an inch. The smallest group to date is .475. I have yet to shoot it with 180- and 200-grain bullets, so we’ll see how it does with them.

*Still not a misprint.

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Have never heard of that type of rifle but I will be sure to check it out before purchasing another rifle. Something witht hat kind of accuracy is the kind of advantage I need. It's the difference of putting meat in the freezer and going home empty handed.

from s-kfry wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

wow, a custom gun at a price we can actually afford. This is the kind of information I am looking for from F&S, thanks!

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the review Dave. They have done work for me in the past and have sent me a brochure on the new rifle. I've been toying with ordering one. I think you just made up my mind!

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Dave, how about some photos of the new girl.

from Mark-1 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Shaw's website is bookmarked on my PC. I've used a number of their barrels on the rifles I've made these last 20-years. Never a problem or complaint.

What is described is their Heritage rifle. To my mind it's like ordering a custom PC. You can name the rifle components and cartridge from the availability list to your musings.

Pretty neat!!!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

This does sound like the "working man's custom Rifle", and the accuracy test was done with factory ammo? If so that is quite impressive!

from auburn_hunter wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Beekeeper beat me to the question - can we get some pictures of the aforementioned rifle?

from wallofsam wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Sounds like a quality rifle at a good honest price, now this might be a silly question, but what the h3ll is Feck?

from chuckles wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Feck
n. 1. Effect.
2. Efficacy; force; value.
3. Amount; quantity.
As opposed to
feck·less (fkls)
adj.
1. Lacking purpose or vitality; feeble or ineffective.
2. Careless and irresponsible.
For those prices it would be worth going with a firm that offers that level of quality and customization. I'm pretty sure I could find something else to do with 14k even if it were burning a hole in my pocket. Maybe a hunting trip with the non-custom but still accurate rifles I already own. I bet their business just got a nice boost and sounds like they deserve it!

from pmariman wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

David,
Thank you this is the stuff I love to read about. This is what I have been looking for a good shooter that I can afford. You are the best.

from jjas wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Thanks Mr. Petzal for a review of a rifle that the average guy can afford.

I do have one question. Do you keep it in a separate safe so as not to contaminate your expensive rifles w/it's lower cost cooties?

Just wonderin'.

from davidpetzal wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

to JJAS: I am hurt--hurt, by God--that you would think I am not a man of the people. I keep the Shaw with everything else.

To Ralph: About half factory and half handloads. Tomorrow I'm trying it out with 200-grain Swift A-Frames, 180-grain Nosler Partitions, and 155-grain Berger match bullets.

from horseman308 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Fan-freaking-tastic! That kind of semi-custom/custom work in a classic cartridge is right up my alley! At those prices, we can get a wonderful rifle and still afford the ammo and hunting trips to use it on. Slainte, Mr. Petzal.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Dave,
When you test this new '06 with the 200gr. bullets, if it records near 2700fps as your 'freak rifle', your words not mine, then I believe it would be a safe load to disseminate the vital ingredients to a faithful if not shallow disciple.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Actually, 8 1/2lbs ain't bad all loaded up with scope,rings,bases and a laminate stock. It's no mountain rifle but the average field rifle I'd say.

from davidpetzal wrote 5 years 1 week ago

To Jim In MO: No way I'm getting 2700 with this one. I chronographed it this morning and got 2560, which is a lot more typical. Usually you can get around 2600, but that's it. If you'd like to shoot 200-grain bullets in an '06, try RelodeR 22 or H 4831, and do not hesitate to give magnum primers a chance if standard primers won't do it.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Thanks Dave, your a tough nut to crack.

from YooperJack wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Please DO NOT post a picture! Having recently bought the Tikka, I'll probably be very jealous. I do like the concept, however, that someone is making custom rifles that ordinary folks can dreamabout. Maybe have that as a realistic goal. When they say Savage action, does that include the Accutrigger, or do they use another trigger?

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 1 week ago

My best shooting is with a slightly heavy-weight forward rifle. Sounds like this is one most of us would like to own.

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 1 week ago

People have talked about the merits and affordability of Shaw barrels for years. Since there is really just one more rifle I want to build I recently entered a question regarding this particular brand barrel because I have never owned one. All answers were positive. I also am aware of another gun writer who, at least a few years ago, used Shaws with great success. Although I don't have a real need for one of their rifles I do have an action that I think I will ask them to work over and install a barrel. The fact that they can turn out a rifle of the quality of which Dave describes at a reasonable price spews forth mounds of quality information regarding Shaw as a manufacturer of firearms as well as components. Yep I also would like to see the rifle however I don't care for the helical fluting from an esthetic standpoint. I also always wondered what kind of stresses, if any, were imparted to the rifled tube during this less common fluting process.

from shane wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Feck may not be a misprint, but is you mounting a Bushnell on a custom rifle a misprint? Someone asked about them in the answers tool, if they were any good. How are they? How do they compare to say, the Nikon Buckmasters?

Your review of said scope convinced me to go and buy one for my Marlin XL7 in .30-06. I was skeptical of these two products with their low price tags, but you review them both very favorably, and if they're good enough for the (expensive) gun nut, they must be good enough for me. So, thanks. You saved me a wad of cash. Who would believe that you could buy a sub-moa combo for 500 bucks?

Out of curiosity, what was the intended purpose of your Shaw? What does one shoot with a relatively light contoured, fluted, heavy rifle in '06? Oxymorons? Pronghorns from hell?

from jjas wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Shane,

IMHO,the Bushnell 4200 is a scope that is very under appreciated by the hunting market. These scopes are wonderfully made, rugged and bright. I think alot of folks look down on Bushnell because they sell quite a bit of less expensive scopes. Next time you get the chance take a look through a Bushnell 4200 or 3200 series scope and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

from Brian Robinson wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I have a shaw barrel married to a kimber mauser action, chambered in 6.5x55 Swede. It can shoot .40/.50 groups with sierra matchking bullets,, it is however on the heavy side, pushing nine pounds with a scope,, here in Colorado it gets left behind when I go hunting.

from Brian Robinson wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Dave what is the recipe for the 200gr.@2700 FPS for the 30-06? Might it be the currently hard to find RL22?

from towery wrote 5 years 1 week ago

never heard of it but am looking for it now

from rlriggins wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I have had Shaw install several barrel's over the years and they have all shot very well. I had always felt they were overlooked by the bulk of the gunwriters for whatever the reason. Sort of like the Savage rifles that always shot like a house afire but never got the press of some other manufacturers. I am glad to hear there is someone offering such a vast combination of options for a workingman's budget.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 5 years 1 week ago

What is the catch? A left-hand, 30-06, fancy rifle at a price even I could possibly come up with?

They are nice, and the pricing makes them even prettier.

I also note they can do a pile of stuff to 700s, and the prices on piecemeal work aren't so bad.

When you're done with that one, give me a call. A nice left-hand 30-06 is basically everything I ever want in a rifle.

from blueridge wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Thanks, Dave. This is kind of like finding a Russ Carpenter again...someone who CAN do some things we need to do, with no excuses. Pennsylvania has been a good place for gunsmiths for over 200 years.

Good blog. Gives rise to some possibilities for future projects.

Blue

from Zermoid wrote 5 years 1 week ago

God, I must be slipping in my old age........

These folks are almost in my back yard, affordable and I've never heard of them? I'm goin' senile early, only explanation.

Thanks for finding them Dave, I'm not in the market for a new rifle (sumptin' to do with every penny goin' to bills or some such nonsense from the wife) but I'll definitely bookmark them for later! Was wanting a Savage bolt in .270, might just upgrade to a custom for that price!

from ChevJames wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I wish Shaw or somebody would do the same with Model 70 Winchester and Model 700 Remington actions. I've always considered Savages to be on the homely side, but there's no denying that the actions are good ones. Also, at the prices new factory rifles go for, they should all come with a test target, and none should leave the factory that don't shoot within 1.5 MOA. Weatherby has guaranteed 1.5 MOA for years. With the technology we have today, 1.0 MOA should be possible. In any event, the Shaw company is to be congratulated. I hope this is the sign of things to come!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I bought a Savage 110 used for $220 about 5 years ago with the intention of rebareling to 7mm STW, but it shot so well (after overcoming factory mis-drilled base holes) that it is now my son's elk rifle. With Federal 160 grain TBBC loads and 160 gr Speer Mag Tip's it shoots < 1 MOA on the range @ 100 yards. With PMC soft points and Fusion 160 grain bullets it shoots about Minute of Water Buffalo. So some of those Savage 110's are MOA shooters anyway. I also had one in .257 Roberts (a rare factory chambering) that shot 1/2" or better at 100 yards. I'm still trying to buy that rifle back....

So, those Savage bolt guns are no slouch from the factory.

from Zermoid wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Hehe, I don't care how a gun "looks", as long as it puts bullets in or near the same hole it's beautiful to me! My SKS is butt ugly but even with the original open sights and my poor vision it stays in a 3-4 inch circle at 100yds, I'd like to find a good scope mount for it, they used to have a see-under type mount that screwed into the sides of the receiver, not onto the cover. Can't find one now that I want one!

Anyone know what I mean and where to get one?

from focusfront wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Here is a rifle with Shaw barrels? In your choice of caliber, stock, and left-handed? That shoots MOA consistently and holds zero, with factory ammo? For well under a grand???

You are reading it here first; THIS IS ALL THE BOLT ACTION RIFLE THAT ANYONE NEEDS.

Anything beyond this had better come up with a half dozen gold plated reasons as to why, or its no sale. I want one, for crying out loud!

from davidpetzal wrote 5 years 1 week ago

To All: No way will I reveal what got me 2,700 with 200-grain bullets. The final load for the Shaw chronographed 2,603 this morning, and that's it. In order to get any increase in performance, you'd have to be getting 2,750 or 2,800, which is just not possible in any .30/06.

The Bushnell Elite 4200 is probably the most underrated scope on the market. It's not cheap, either. Optically it's not in a class with Swarovski, but on the other hand, I've never had one break, and I've had a lot of them in service over the years. Come to think of it, it's the only scope I haven't seen break.

Yes, Shaw uses Savages with the Accu-Trigger. They'd be crazy not to.

To Blueridge: Did you know Russ Carpenter?

from steve182 wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Now this is the kind of rifle we can all relate to and appreciate. Heck maybe we can all even afford it.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Like I need another gun, I understand I DO, but the WIFE is having issues with it! Anyway, I may look into one of their models in .260 Remington? I need to buy a "light kicker" this time!

DP

That is a little shy of .35 Whelen performance. My 35W with a 22 in. barrel clocks 225 grain TBBC at an average of 2612 fps 15 feet from the muzzle. The 225 grain Nosler loads are 2725 fps from a 24 inch barrel.

from davidpetzal wrote 5 years 1 week ago

To WA Mtnhunter: Quite correct, that's about what you get with a Whelen, and that's the reason for its existence.

from blueridge wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Dave...
I was a snot-nosed kid, desired by the draft board, and my Dad introduced me to Col. Whelen, whom we visited from time to time. But, when he had a problem, he would call on Russ to consider a repair, or an idea...I probably have one of many muzzleloaders that Russ re-rifled...in gain twist, no less. Dad was a welder, before he went into ministry, and he respected the can-do attitude of Russ Carpenter. I had tons of respect for the man, whose hand I never shook, but whose gain-twist I still have. We need more such men. Russ went from humble beginnings to being respected by men like you. Nuff said.

I lift my glass to Russ C.---and Mr. Shaw of this blog--may their tribes increase. Goodness knows the shooting fraternity needs 'em.

Blue

from ChuckyDeeInNC wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Shaw has been doing a great job for years. Some 30 yrs ago, I had a '98 mauser rebarreled to '06 by the good folks in PA for the paltry sum of $50! Gunsmith who sent it off for me charged a whole $8 for rebluing.Best money I ever spent: 5 shot groups at 100 yds with 150 & 165 gr NBT handloads you can touch all 5 or cover with a quarter. Should have had them do another dozen back then. Nice to hear them releasing a custom gun for a really reasonable price all us working stiffs can afford!

Hey WA MtnH-
Gotta love that Whelen...an old workhorse earning it's keep!

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 1 week ago

David E. Petzal, Editors and the rest of the gang,

A recent question in the answer section got me to thinking about how things have changed since that day I was reading my Field and Stream and decided to log on to the website. By starting this website you have opened up a whole new way of meeting like minded people. There is nothing I would like better than sharing a high country camp with Ish, Jim in Mo, Sarg, Bee, Clay, yourself and others. Because of this site it might actually happen.
Anyway please accept my heartfelt thanks for what you do. It keeps me looking forward to the next day in the woods and that high country camp. Can't wait to sit around a warm fire,with mug of coffee (spiked with Bailey's) telling war stories with these guys.

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 1 week ago

My Remington Mdl 700 classic in 350 Rem. Mag has a short action and 22 in barrel. With a 200 grain bullet it will actually beat the Whelen by a few feet per second. The only thing a Whelen has over the 350 is the fact it is long enough to seat 275 or 300 grain bullets without giving up too much powder space. Other than that they are bullistic twins.

Ralph the Rifleman

Yep, just can't bear to leave the .35 Whelen at home during elk season. Last year I hunted almost all week with my Weatherby without seeing a shooter elk. My son told me I messed up the good juju and needed to get the .35W back in the field. Two hours later, my bull was on the ground. Guess I can't argue with that.

Del in KS

You are right. There isn't beans for differnce in practical terms for those cartridges. I had a 350 Rem Mag and I found that the .350 and .35 Whelen 200 grain factory loads chronographed about 22 fps apart average, the edge going to the .350 Rem Mag. I sold the .350 since the .35W seemed to kick a little less due to rifle weight (20" barrel/short action on the .350) and factory ammo for the .350 was one load - Remington Express 200 gr. I did not handload at the time. Either .35 cartridge puts game DRN - dead right now!

I have a Savage 99 in .358 Winchester, too. I guess I should get a .35 Remington 760 pump gun to round out the collection. Maybe I have some .358 bore affliction? All my hand guns are .357 or 9mm, as well. An obvious pattern? Hmmm

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Wow, somebody snuck into Dave's office and wrote about a rifle we can all afford... I'm beginning to worry Mr. Petzal may have his foot caught in a wire snare somewhere. Anyone actually seen him lately? Got to go check out E.R. Shaw, sounds incredible! At the very least a heck of a feck.

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 5 years 1 week ago

WA Mtnh-I think the .358 Win has got to be one of the most underated cartridges in BG hunting history. When growing up hunting here in Michigan, the 30-30 win has stayed in favor as in many regions of the country where realtively close range woods hunting is concerned and the little .30 does a great job of it! If I were hunting for bigger game then Whitetail, such as Bear,Elk, and Moose; the .358 has the edge, and a more secure feeling if following a bear track in the thicket!
My buddy from Wisconsin(I met years ago while in the USAF) had a Savage-99 in .358, nice shooting rifle that he had handed down to him from his father; that gun was used to kill a number animals over the years that is still getting the JOB DONE now very nicely! Besides this gun being a big caliber, I still cannot walk away from lever actions; they are just part of gun nut history!!

Ralph the Rifleman

The .358 Winchester certainly has some oomph with 200 grain loads. I must confess that I have never killed anything with it save for a bunch of water filled milk jugs, although Boddington, Barsness, and others have written many good things about it. I get handloads up close to 2,500 fps with 200 grain Hornady RNSP. Not spectacular, but plenty of juice for shots out to 150 yards, or so. That would probably be my practical range limit due to the aperture sight on the 99. Sighted in dead on at 100 yards, it is only about 1/2 " high at 50 yards and is only 1.5 inches low at 150 yards where it is still going over 1,800 fps with slightly more than 1,500 ft. lb. of energy. More than adequate for American game, although I would not go after a grizzly or polar bear with it. Come to think of it, I'm not going after either anyway....

P.S.

All that chatter is making my neck swell! Is it September yet?

AMEN BROTHA`!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 5 years 1 week ago

WA Mtnh-Do you crimp your Whelen handloads?

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Feck the Whelen... this post is about E.R. Shaw and an incredible value (feck) for a custom 30-06... the ONLY rifle a man can do absolutely everything with.

Ralph the Rifleman

Yes, with the RCBS seating and crimp dye. I only load a few rounds to plink with, no hunting loads yet. I need to order a Lee Factory Crimp Dye or machine a bushing with the outside diameter of the #2 shell holder and inside diameter of the .30-06 case and the same thickness of the difference in case length between the .35 Whelen and .358 Win and use the .358 Win Lee crimp die.

Dr. Ralph

Feck, I guess you have never wandered off subject on this blog? E.R. Shaw custom .30-06? Pshaw, I say. LOL

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Dave, WA Mtn, Ralph,

Ya'll skipped over a cartridge built on the '06 case that will get an honest 2750 with 200 grain bullets from a 24 inch tube with book loads. That cartridge is the .338/06. I rebarreled a Savage with one of Shaw's barrels in that caliber. It will serve up a fair amount of thump on the receiving end. I'm loading 200 & 225 grain Hornady Interlocks. Both are shooting 1 inch or less at 100. With my rifle and a Hornady book load I'm almost touching 2800 with the 200 grainer. The 225 nets about 2670 with its book load. I can tell you that a large feral hog has nothing for the 200 grain load. Deer positively wilt! Have not used the 225 on game as of yet. Recoil is not bad at all in this light rifle with either bullet.

from crm3006 wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I'm with Dr. Ralph-
A .30-'06 will make anything RND with the possible exception of the big bears, so if some unfortunate out there has not got an '06
with feck, I like the sound of the Shaw very much. Unfortunately, I have two '06s and can't really justify a third. Maybe I can convince The Bookkeeper of the need for a LH
.243 with feck. It just might restore my faith in that cartridge.

from YooperJack wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I don't know why I suffered so much angst with this post. Dave Petzal, and probably most of you, can shoot rifles with those accuracy standards. Hell, if I can shoot half that good with my Tikka, I'll be like a pig in mud!
BTW, this is off topic; but, I'm willing to bet that Elisha Cuthbert will be on the Fox Show "24", next Monday night.

from Gunslinger wrote 5 years 1 week ago

If you guys really want to know what a 30-06 will do, by a box of Rems Scricco's in l80 gr. Clean your bbl well prior to teting them. I use many othe brands prior to ecdig on the Scricco's and would not be afraid to try a 400 yd or lessO Elk size game.Howevr,on the larger stuff that will hurt you, try much closer , better still have a back up shooter with a 375 etc. THe Scricco's fly fast and flat and my shots only drop 3-4" at 345 yds(holding on the very top of his back) shot from my Remington CDL with 24" bbl. Shoot-um-straight and often.

WA Mtnh-
I have used RCBS dies before, but I decided to go with Hornady Custom-Grade dies for my Whelen. It's still a bit cold outside here in MI, so I have yet to use them. Hopefully the weather cooperates soon I'm gettin` tired of cabin fever!

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 1 week ago

NOS This is a very good article about the recent shootings.

from crm3006 wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Del in KS-
Had just read that article prior to browsing in the Gun Nut. Ms. Coulter goes behind the scenes and researches the history and background of these deranged individuals, but the MSM simply ignore causal factors and scream "More gun control."
I can accept the need for more gun control if the definition of gun control is less restrictive concealed carry laws and good sight picture, sight alignment and trigger squeeze.

Gunslinger

I have tried the Swift Scirocco's in my Weatherby and they don't group as well as they do in your gun, but it is a great bullet. It doesn't like 180 gr Partitions either, but it spits out the 165 grain Barnes TSX with extreme accuracy.

Beekeeper

That .338-06 is a nice cartridge. I wish I had bought a Weatherby Mark V lightweight before they stopped chambering them in that flavor. A buddy rebarreled a '03 Springfield action in .338/06 and it is a humdinger. Very accurate with the Shilen 24" barrel.

Ralph

I have not used Hornady dies myself. I have a bunch of Lee dies and I came by the RCBS .35W set in a trade of sorts from a buddy of mine who lost my shooting monopod and happened to have 2 new sets of .35 Whelen dies in his shop. Do you have a neck sizing collet die?

WMH

DAVE PETZAL

What grain bullets and flavor have you been shooting in your Shaw? I looked at the website and the stainless synthetic with straight fluting is a thing of beauty with the removal of the barrel nut. Is this something E.R. Shaw does on all Savage re-barrels?

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I'm partial to the straight fluting also.

WA Mtnh-
No I have not purchased the n/s collet die, as yet;If my local Gander Mtn doesn't have it,I'll have it ordered in-My son works there so I get a 20% discount. No need to pay full price if-in I don't need too!

Del in KS
Thanks for posting the article.

from davidpetzal wrote 5 years 1 week ago

To WA Mtn Hunter: I used, among others, 155 Bergers, 165 Swift Sciroccos, Nosler 180 Partitions, Swift 200 A-Frames, and I think half a dozen makes and weights of factory ammo. Results coming up on the blog next week. Yes, Shaw removes all the barrels nuts on its Mark VIIs, and will leave the barrels plain, or straight-flute them, or spiral-flute. Considering the way this rifle shoots, I'd go with the last.

from Gunslinger wrote 5 years 1 week ago

WAhunter:When I BOUGHT the new Remington CDL with 24" bbl I also bought 3-4 brands of Ammo.I shot each 3 times and allowed the bbl to cool while shot other guns. I did that with all the brands I bought and the Scirocco's l80- grs it shot a little better pattern thsn the others. I cleaned the gun after each type of amo I had and each brand went thru a clean bbl. After shooting the Scirocco's about 40 rounds the rifle did improve a lot.So decided to stay with them. I had the gun zeroed for 200 yds for the Rocky Mtns hunts I usually do ok and so far only neede one shot on each animali shot.It will shot 1-2" patterns at 200 yds and that is good enough for me.Read someplace if a bullet would hit a plate at 20 yds that would get the vitals of a Elk or large Mulie.The gun is mountd with a Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 using Leupold Dual Dove tails mounts and it has stayed on 0 for 8 trips west.No, I cannot complain with the results. I do not handload. Once in a great while we buy a great gun that shoots well and kills game,if so, we better hang on to that gun. I also got a 700 25-06 Classic that will not shoot anything the way I like but the Wincheser Ballistic tips in ll7 grs. I am sold on the Polymar tips, believe they shoot straighter and much flatter than a PSP bullet.Back some yrs ago I used a 742 out west and at that time Rem had the l68 gr. extended range bullets. It shot them as well or better than anything I ever tried. I killed my First Elk standing with 40 or so Cows around him and all I had was a neck/head shot. I knew where the gun would shoot so I had a steady rest ( rack on a Blaxer) and shot him,one shot and he fell. A neck shot is risky especially with many cows aroun, but was my only shot and the lead cow was ready to turn around after she saw me at l65 yrs at about 35 deg angle. Elated was a mild expression for me,after many attempts for a Elk. Being Handicapped/disbled and cannot tromp thru the woods and valleys,I must stand hunt. I retired the 742 BDL but will give it another go this fall(here athome) along with the new Marlin in 270. I like my guns at 9-10 lbs as helps the recoil on a boney 128 lb 73 old man.I always use a solid rest or my Stoney point sticks. Many great brands of Ammo available, but as long as this CDL performs as it does will use the Scirocco's untill I'm unable to hunt.THe Scrirocco's have really gone up in price as well as many others, but on a high $$ hunt the Ammo is the cheapest item you will use. I figue l00.00 in ammo prior to my hunts is good insurance to hit my animal the first time. I yet have 6 boxes of the Rem l68gr extended range for the 742. Can;t wait to try the 270 MArlin,as this is my first 270 ever shot or owned. My next trip west will take the 30-06 and new 270 as well as my Uberti 44-40. My wife saw a Cougar last year at 20 yds. Wish I had seen him. Will shoot either a Cougar or WOLF if I see either, legal or not.Wolves and Cougars along with the Coyotes doing a lot of killing in the Area I hunt.Guy who's Ranch I hunt said kill all I saw.And, I told the Game warden the same, no reply?????? Good hunting, shot-um-straight and often.

davidpetzal

Thanks for the info. As always, I look forward to the "rest of the story" next week. I have found my .30-06 Weatherby Mark V's feng shui with the 165 gr. TSX. End of quest! But I long for a fast 7mm to launch 150 - 160 grain projectiles at greater ranges for open country elk. The E.R. Shaw has some appeal in stainless with straight fluting. The spiral doesn't do it for me aesthetically. No offense.

Gunslinger

Amen. I hope you get a chance to get out west this year. While it looked like our hunt might fall through earlier this year, it has firmed up with our gang of eight and we are hunting the same ranch near Craig. If you make it out that way, I'll buy your coffee!

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I wish Shaw would update their site and allow me to build a rifle using the web to see the options available and cost. Just like they do with the barrel making side.

from Gunslinger wrote 5 years 1 week ago

WA Hunter: Thanks , My Son may lose his l5 l/2yr oldjo with the state as they doing away with his job and giving i to the Commnity Colleges?????? Some savings???I love C0 ,WY and MT, but if I had a choice for a Elk only would be in C0 in and near Craig. If we go will be the 2nd season, not sure of the dates as my game books in another room.I addition to Craig, teh area suth of Hayden is also good and near Maybelle is good for Mulies.Just hope things work out for us ifmy Son does get laid off. Really sucks after that many yrs and him being 55 to have ostart over. I though that it was illegal to discharge gus over 55??? by apparently not. His problem t some degree is a Democrate Governess and a Republican Com of Labor,and the Gov.hates he other one and will do all she can to show her up. But he does have some connections in the State and many are helpng him stay put or another state job to get his benefits and retirement

from T.W. Davidson wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Mr. Petzal . . .

I ordered my ER Shaw Mark VII rifle in .257 AI a long, long time ago (seems like centuries). Paid for it upfront. Still don't have it. Probably not going to have it for a while, and the more I think about it, I'm sure the longer it will be before it finally gets here.

So . . . by what soccery, trickery or bribe did you obtain your ER Shaw rifle so quickly? Please do tell.

All . . .

Someone recently posted a pretty good definition of the word "Feckless" in this blog (see above), but I have one additional sub-definition to add to it. See below:

feck·less (fkls)
adj.

1. Lacking purpose or vitality; feeble or ineffective.
2. Careless and irresponsible.
3. Most people.

TWD

from shane wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Good one, TW. Waiting for that rifle must be pretty brutal.

I still want to know what one does with a light barreled, fluted, heavy '06. I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I just don't know what the idea was, and I'm very curious.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 1 week ago

The laminate stock must be the extra weight. I don't think the diameter of the barrel makes any difference unless your going to use it at the bench alot. I have one '06 that is .550 and another that is .660 at the muzzle, as long as I shoot three shot groups with the smaller dia. gun I know exactly if it's on for hunting. The smaller ones just heat up quicker, which I think the fluting is supposed to help.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from T.W. Davidson wrote 5 years 6 days ago

All . . .

I called E.R. Shaw today and asked about the status of the LH, bolt-action, 24", spiral-fluted, 2 1/2 contour, laminated tan stock rifle in .257 AI . . . that I had ordered and paid for (in full) back in October, 2008--after being told that E.R. Shaw had a .257 AI reamer on hand at its factory.

The E.R. Shaw guy mumbled something about my rifle being ready somewhere around June, 2009.

I lightly mentioned that I was aware of at least one person who had ordered an E.R. Shaw bolt-action rifle very similar to my own many months after I had ordered my rifle. I said that this particular gentleman, also a lefty, had already received his rifle, was shooting it at the range, and was reporting (happily) on his (excellent) test results.

I then casually asked why some E.R. Shaw customers get their rifles before other customers do (who paid for their rifles long ago), particularly when there is very little difference between the rifles in question.

The E.R. Shaw guy hemmed and hawed and said that some customers with very unique rifles might take longer to receive their rifles than customers with less unique rifles.

I redirected the E.R. Shaw guy and got him back on point. I stated (again) that a particular gentleman had ordered and received a rifle that, other than its caliber, was essentially identical to the one that I had ordered, and that this gentleman had already received his rifle. (Btw, Mr. Petzal's rifle is a 2 1/2 contour, since E.R. Shaw was quick to point out to me that it does not make rifles with a 1 1/2 contour).

I again asked the E.R. Shaw why I had not received my rifle yet, when I had ordered and paid for it many months before the gentleman in question had ordered his rifle, and he had already received his. I said this didn't seem right.

The E.R. Shaw guy finally asked me who the gentleman in question is. I said it was David Petzal, the gunwriter for F&S, who had written about his E.R. Shaw rifle on his F&S blog.

My polite little words exploded at the other end of the line. There was a notable pause, then the E.R. Shaw guy rapidly attempted to explain that the "marketing department" at E.R. Shaw had arranged for Mr. Petzal to receive his rifle so very quickly because he is a gunwriter.

I regret to say that I said, "So?"

I might have said, possibly, "Who gives a sh*t?"

I told the E.R. Shaw guy there was another way to examine what E.R. Shaw had done here, which is that the company had jerked over every customer who had already paid in full for his or her rifle many months ago in order to make sure someone else got his/her gun first--someone who could do some free advertising for E.R. Shaw, that is.

I explained to the E.R. Shaw guy that since I am a person who paid for my rifle in full 7 months ago and who had still not received it, that I and others like me would likely find E.R. Shaw's actions in this matter to highly offensive.

I explained to the E.R. Shaw guy that if he did not understand what I meant, he should pay me $900 immediately for something he wanted very dearly, then watch me deliver other highly prized somethings to other people who placed their orders months after he did and waited almost no time at all before receiving their products, while he, the E.R. Shaw guy, was made to wait and wait and wait and get screwed and fed up while doing so. I asked the E.R. Shaw if he now understood.

The E.R. Shaw guy again stated that what had happened here was "a marketing decision." I replied that E.R. Shaw had made a "company decision," one I was sure that every customer in my situation would think was bullsh*t if it became public knowledge. I then asked where the my rifle was and suggested his company get off its rear and deliver what I--and others--paid for so long ago.
The E.R. Shaw guy attempted to apologize and said his company "would look into it." I hung up.

For the record, Mr. Petzal, I'm glad you got your rifle in a very timely manner. I do not begrudge you for this one bit--after all, you are not responsible for E.R. Shaw's "marketing" decisions. I'm happy for you. And I'm equally pleased that your rifle shoots so accurately.

But E.R. Shaw's actions raise a very interesting issue:

Given that E.R. Shaw rushed a rifle to you in just a few months while others of us have waited 7 months (or more) and still don't have our rifles, and given that your rifle consistently shoots very tiny groups, the question that must be asked is this: did E.R. Shaw send you a specially tuned rifle the company spent extra time and effort working on, knowing you would report on its performance? In other words, did E.R. Shaw not only send you a rifle in less time than any "ordinary" (paid in full) customer will ever receive his/her rifle, but did the company also make sure you received a rifle significantly better-made and personally accurized by someone at E.R. Shaw . . . which is certainly not a level of service or performance that us "ordinary" customers will receive?

Again, I'm glad you got your rifle, that it performs extremely well, and that you didn't have to wait long to receive it. Good for you. But E.R. Shaw owes us "ordinary" customers exactly the same level of service that you received. No more, and certainly no less.

Please enquire of E.R. Shaw and ask the people there about what would appear to be not just possible double-standards in the way it treats its customers, but real ones.

TWD

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 6 days ago

T.W.

One question: When did E.R. Shaw commit to deliver the rifle at the time you paid for it? How long did they tell you it would take back then?

Just curious. Thinking of ordering one.

WMH

from T.W. Davidson wrote 5 years 5 days ago

WMH . . .

I don't have the order form in front of me and am relying on less than perfect memory as I write these words, but what I remember to best of my ability is as follows:

I ordered the rifle in October of 2008.

I was on the phone with an ER Shaw person for quite a while working out all the little details of the rifle and the price.

I believe I was told I would receive the rifle toward the end of the first quarter of '09--e.g., somewhere around the end of April. I definitely remember expressing my unhappiness with the time of payment vs. time of delivery, and I recall the E.R. Shaw person telling me that the rifle might be finished ahead of the projected timetable.

(Obviously, however, I still don't have it.)

* * *

The ER Shaw person with whom I had an unpleasant conversation yesterday called both my cell phone and my office phone today and left messages. An A+ for make-amends effort. The gist of his messages was that my rifle's barrel is finished, the action is 85% assembled, and when that's done the barrel and action will be mated together and the barrel headspaced and test-fired. Once this is done, the barreled action will be blued, then bedded in the stock, et al. The E.R. Shaw person's messages indicated the rifle will be ready for shipment no later than 3-4 weeks from now; e.g., mid-May.

We'll see. (And trust me, I will report one way or the other, including whether the rifle shoots anything like Mr. Petzal's does.)

TWD

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 5 days ago

TWD,

I look forward to hearing about how yours shoots and how satisfied you are with it.

WMH

from T.W. Davidson wrote 5 years 6 days ago

All . . .

I regret to say that I said, "So?"

I might have said, possibly, "Who gives a sh*t?"

But E.R. Shaw's actions raise a very interesting issue:

TWD

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 1 week ago

So, those Savage bolt guns are no slouch from the factory.

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Dave, how about some photos of the new girl.

from chuckles wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Feck
n. 1. Effect.
2. Efficacy; force; value.
3. Amount; quantity.
As opposed to
feck·less (fkls)
adj.
1. Lacking purpose or vitality; feeble or ineffective.
2. Careless and irresponsible.

from jjas wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Thanks Mr. Petzal for a review of a rifle that the average guy can afford.

Just wonderin'.

from rlriggins wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from ChuckyDeeInNC wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from crm3006 wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I'm with Dr. Ralph-
.243 with feck. It just might restore my faith in that cartridge.

from crm3006 wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Del in KS-

from T.W. Davidson wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Mr. Petzal . . .

All . . .

feck·less (fkls)
adj.

1. Lacking purpose or vitality; feeble or ineffective.
2. Careless and irresponsible.
3. Most people.

from horseman308 wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

Dave,

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 2 weeks ago

from davidpetzal wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Thanks Dave, your a tough nut to crack.

from YooperJack wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from ishawooa wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from shane wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from jjas wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Shane,

from Brian Robinson wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from Brian Robinson wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from towery wrote 5 years 1 week ago

never heard of it but am looking for it now

from Jeff Bowers wrote 5 years 1 week ago

They are nice, and the pricing makes them even prettier.

from blueridge wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Good blog. Gives rise to some possibilities for future projects.

Blue

from Zermoid wrote 5 years 1 week ago

God, I must be slipping in my old age........

from ChevJames wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from Zermoid wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Anyone know what I mean and where to get one?

from focusfront wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from davidpetzal wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Yes, Shaw uses Savages with the Accu-Trigger. They'd be crazy not to.

To Blueridge: Did you know Russ Carpenter?

from steve182 wrote 5 years 1 week ago

DP

from davidpetzal wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from blueridge wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Dave...

Blue

Hey WA MtnH-
Gotta love that Whelen...an old workhorse earning it's keep!

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 1 week ago

David E. Petzal, Editors and the rest of the gang,

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Ralph the Rifleman

Del in KS

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Ralph the Rifleman

P.S.

All that chatter is making my neck swell! Is it September yet?

AMEN BROTHA`!

from Ralph the Rifleman wrote 5 years 1 week ago

WA Mtnh-Do you crimp your Whelen handloads?

from Tim Platt wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Ralph the Rifleman

Dr. Ralph

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Dave, WA Mtn, Ralph,

from YooperJack wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from Gunslinger wrote 5 years 1 week ago

WA Mtnh-

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 1 week ago

NOS This is a very good article about the recent shootings.

Gunslinger

Beekeeper

Ralph

WMH

DAVE PETZAL

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 1 week ago

I'm partial to the straight fluting also.

WA Mtnh-

Del in KS
Thanks for posting the article.

from davidpetzal wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from Gunslinger wrote 5 years 1 week ago

davidpetzal

Gunslinger

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from Gunslinger wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from shane wrote 5 years 1 week ago

Good one, TW. Waiting for that rifle must be pretty brutal.

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 1 week ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 6 days ago

T.W.

Just curious. Thinking of ordering one.

WMH

from T.W. Davidson wrote 5 years 5 days ago

WMH . . .

I ordered the rifle in October of 2008.

(Obviously, however, I still don't have it.)

* * *